Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Using Toilet in Winterized Basecamp

Hey folks! I have searched and read a lot here and across the greater internet. But I have a very specific question.

We live in the midsouth (AR), and are going to try to continue to camp through the winter. We are going to winterize our Basecamp, because we do get freezing temps, but not consistently. However, I really want to be able to use the toilet, at least for #1! Can I do this by putting RV Antifreeze in the black/gray tank? If so, how much needs to be in there? Do I need to use antifreeze each time I flush it? or will just water work? I assume I will need to have my tank heaters on if it's below freezing.

Should I dump at a certain fullness to keep from freezing?

Thanks so much in advance!
jenwillAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
To your specific Urine will freeze at about 28 degrees. Adding antifreeze at 2 oz per "event"will drop it to about 15, 4 will get it down to about 0, a cup will drop it to -25 or so. This is with no "flush" water.

Can you keep the trailer above 40 during cold spells? Seems like there are other options.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
To your specific Urine will freeze at about 28 degrees. Adding antifreeze at 2 oz per "event"will drop it to about 15, 4 will get it down to about 0, a cup will drop it to -25 or so. This is with no "flush" water.

Can you keep the trailer above 40 during cold spells? Seems like there are other options.
Well, we don't have a power source when we're not using it, so I can't leave the tank heaters and general heat on. That's why we're thinking we need to winterize it. I haven't done it yet, and won't do it unless there is a hard freeze and we can't go camping.

But I assume at some point that I'll need to winterize it, but I still want to be able to camp; preferrably with a toilet to use in the middle of the night!
jenwillAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you have a high flow capacity air compressor, follow the guidance here on blowing out the water lines rather than filling them with antifreeze. Leave all the drain valves open including the fresh tank, so any leftover water won't pool. getting the water out of the pump is important. Add antifreeze to the P-traps (sinks and shower) and leave the grey tank dump valve open each time you stop using it. The excess antifreeze will drain out, you can catch it and pour it down the drain. For the black tank, consider buying a portable dump tank if you have access to a 4 inch or larger sewer clean out, then you can also drain the black tank.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
If you're winterized, with an empty black tank to start off with, and you are using your toilet in below freezing temperatures, and use rv antifreeze to flush, you should be fine. If it were me, I'd try and dump the black tank before heading home.

If you're winterized, and it's above freezing, you can use gallon jugs of water to flush, if you dump the black tank before heading home. I'd add some anitfreeze after dumping the tank, for good measure.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Get a bucket toilet with liners and cat litter. That's what I do.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
You can try something like these disposable bags in your toilet for middle of the night use. https://www.rei.com/product/662978/c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
I’ve had a Basecamp once 2018. I’ve never winterized and I camp during the winter. Switch your Truma to propane and set the thermostat for 40. The system is ducted and your tanks won’t freeze - fresh or black. You should get a few weeks on your propane tanks running continuously. You can stretch it much further if you heat only when the ambient temperature requires.
rsweisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you just don't want to worry about it, do this.
1-line toilet bowl with 8 gallon trash bag
2-put a toddler diaper open face in the trash bag.
3-put down the toilet seat and use as you need to.
4-bag up and dispose in trash.

We do this on our way home sometimes when we have already dumped. Works fine.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I believe that using the black water tank in the winter should be fine. Once the wastes reach freezing point, there should be plenty of room for expansion. I think it would be best to use continue to add the antifreeze as you do use the tank so that you bring down the freezing point.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote