Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
2023 BC20x Suburban on Demand Issues

We recently purchased a 2023 Basecamp 20x and experienced hot water issues since Day 1. After many phone calls and trips to the dealer, they were finally able to witness the problem and agreed to replace the hot water heater. Issue did not go away. I am told I am not alone and Airstream engineers are trying to figure out what is going on.

Just wanted to warn anyone who suddenly has hot water and it just goes out for no reason. The easy fix is to pull the fuse (the third blue one from the top) and stick it back in and it starts working again. It may work for a couple hours and it may work for a couple days, it's totally random. Water and gas pressure is fine so that is not the issue.

Erick
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
We recently purchased a 2023 Basecamp 20x and experienced hot water issues since Day 1. After many phone calls and trips to the dealer, they were finally able to witness the problem and agreed to replace the hot water heater. Issue did not go away. I am told I am not alone and Airstream engineers are trying to figure out what is going on.

Just wanted to warn anyone who suddenly has hot water and it just goes out for no reason. The easy fix is to pull the fuse (the third blue one from the top) and stick it back in and it starts working again. It may work for a couple hours and it may work for a couple days, it's totally random. Water and gas pressure is fine so that is not the issue.

Erick
Try this. It works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Suburban Water Heater Work Around.png
Views:	168
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	427477  
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:48 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Granbury , Texas
I had the same issue on my ‘22 Basecamp 20X. AirstreamDFW swapped the control board on my third visit to their service dept. This issue is not uncommon. I spoke to Airstream Tech Support last summer. They admitted there was a known issue with the control board.
The work around described in this post basically resets the control board in the water heater.
I have enjoyed plenty of hot water while camping since the control board swap.
MyronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronM View Post
I had the same issue on my ‘22 Basecamp 20X. AirstreamDFW swapped the control board on my third visit to their service dept. This issue is not uncommon. I spoke to Airstream Tech Support last summer. They admitted there was a known issue with the control board.
The work around described in this post basically resets the control board in the water heater.
I have enjoyed plenty of hot water while camping since the control board swap.

Thanks. We had a whole new unit installed and are still having a problem. I assume a complete swap would include the control board too, correct?
Old 01-27-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Update

I spoke with Woodland Airstream and as I type this, they have 4 units, all 2023 Basecamp 20x's in with the same problem. Airstream is in contact with the manufacturer (Suburban) to try and work out the problem.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-28-2023, 05:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
2024 23' International
Milford , Michigan
Erick,
We also bought our 2023 20X from Woodland (I believe just a few weeks behind you, Nov 14). We have only dry camped it in so far and at this point it is tucked away for the winter. I've written to Woodland to tell them not to count our unit as good in their communication with Airstream, but rather as unknown.

The purpose of this note is to thank you for postings and encourage your updates.
Steve
SteveBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBeck View Post
Erick,

We also bought our 2023 20X from Woodland (I believe just a few weeks behind you, Nov 14). We have only dry camped it in so far and at this point it is tucked away for the winter. I've written to Woodland to tell them not to count our unit as good in their communication with Airstream, but rather as unknown.

The purpose of this note is to thank you for postings and encourage your updates.

Steve

Have you experienced the same problem?
Old 01-29-2023, 06:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
2024 23' International
Milford , Michigan
As I mentioned, we have only dry camped so far, so I don’t know if we have an issue or not. First 2023 camping scheduled for April if we can wait that long ��
SteveBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBeck View Post
As I mentioned, we have only dry camped so far, so I don’t know if we have an issue or not. First 2023 camping scheduled for April if we can wait that long ��

Hopefully you won’t be affected. I’ll post updates here.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
I have a '22 Basecamp 20 and have had the same problem. We had the water heater and pump replaced in first 6 months. Now out for 20 day trip and on day 4 heater stopped again. Now water pump is surging, but only at kitchen faucet. This is my third Airstream and definitely more issues than the other 2 combined. Regret selling my 23FC. Worried now about burning out the water pump.
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
So here's an update I got today speaking with a tech support rep at Airstream central in Ohio. I called after reading some earlier posts here about "the fix" being replacement of the circuit board. The rep said that AS had been working with Suburban to identify the specific cause of the problem and develop a solution. He said they had completed their work and would shortly (like a week or two) issue a detailed repair bulletin to all of their dealerships so they could take corrective action.

I have had some success pulling and reinstalling the fuse as mentioned in previous posts, but am looking forward to the permanent solution. Time will tell. Just thought this latest news was worth sharing.
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack West View Post
So here's an update I got today speaking with a tech support rep at Airstream central in Ohio. I called after reading some earlier posts here about "the fix" being replacement of the circuit board. The rep said that AS had been working with Suburban to identify the specific cause of the problem and develop a solution. He said they had completed their work and would shortly (like a week or two) issue a detailed repair bulletin to all of their dealerships so they could take corrective action.

I have had some success pulling and reinstalling the fuse as mentioned in previous posts, but am looking forward to the permanent solution. Time will tell. Just thought this latest news was worth sharing.

I can follow this up by adding the email I received yesterday from my service manager. I’m supposed to hear back today on whether it resolved the problem. See below.

“The national service manager just sent us some ferrite clamps to install into the power line going into the water heater.”
Old 02-03-2023, 01:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
I can follow this up by adding the email I received yesterday from my service manager. I’m supposed to hear back today on whether it resolved the problem. See below.

“The national service manager just sent us some ferrite clamps to install into the power line going into the water heater.”

Another follow up, sorry. Talked to the service manager today at Woodland Airstream, great guy, and he said he’s cautiously optimistic that adding the ferrite clamps (per the Airstream engineers) to the power line is working for all 4 units he has right now. I guess these clamps are normally used in audio systems to eliminate radio frequencies or something that can cause distortion. I’m sure I’m not explaining that quite right but I don’t care as long as it’s working. We shall see…..
Old 02-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
michigan city , IN
Thanks to all of the above posts.
Traded in my Basecamp 16 (Truma water heater and never a problem with water heater) for a 2022 Basecamp 20X one year ago at Woodland Airstream
Problems with water heater all as noted above. Trigger seems to be if you try to mix hot and cold water and "solution" is to lay on the floor and pull/push the fuse which fixes the problem until it triggers again.
Solutions proposed was to set the water temperature to something you can stand in the shower but won't be adequate for washing dishes. That is not a solution but a work around that makes Airstreams problem my $57K problem.
This issue impacted a two week trip last summer and this spring I was assured that it was fixed.
Just returned from two week trip in Big Ben NP with same problem and same work around.
Woodland Airstream has ben very helpful, accommodating and sympathetic.
Airstream has made their problem Woodland's problems also.
Unit is back at Woodland and based on the above posts I have guarded hope for a future of reliably hot fuse free water.
Didn't Airstream Beta test these things? Perhaps their engineers were out to lunch that day
Currently I am recommending that no one buy a Basecamp (or other Airstream models) until this issue has a proven long term solution. I've have expectations that owning an RV will involve some efforts and repairs but not something this predictable and avoidable.
Shame on Airstream. This makes them look bad and too much like the lower end manufacturers
Birddogbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
They’re all using the same junky made in China appliances, controllers, etc. is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogbob View Post
Traded in my Basecamp 16 (Truma water heater and never a problem with water heater) for a 2022 Basecamp 20X one year ago at Woodland Airstream
Problems with water heater all as noted above. Trigger seems to be if you try to mix hot and cold water and "solution" is to lay on the floor and pull/push the fuse which fixes the problem until it triggers again.
Solutions proposed was to set the water temperature to something you can stand in the shower but won't be adequate for washing dishes. That is not a solution but a work around that makes Airstreams problem my $57K problem.
This issue impacted a two week trip last summer and this spring I was assured that it was fixed.
Just returned from two week trip in Big Ben NP with same problem and same work around.
Unit is back at Woodland and based on the above posts I have guarded hope for a future of reliably hot fuse free water.
Didn't Airstream Beta test these things? Perhaps their engineers were out to lunch that day
Currently I am recommending that no one buy a Basecamp (or other Airstream models) until this issue has a proven long term solution. I've have expectations that owning an RV will involve some efforts and repairs but not something this predictable and avoidable.
Shame on Airstream. This makes them look bad and too much like the lower end manufacturers
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogbob View Post

Did you hear back from Woodland regarding the ferrite clamp fix? I’m picking mine up on Saturday and they said the fix worked on all 4 Basecamps they had in stock. Wondering if yours was one of them.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:22 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
michigan city , IN
Basecamp Hot water heater

Have not heard back from them yet. Hope to soon or call them for update. Hope this all works out for everyone. Thanks.
Birddogbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:28 PM   #18
Winemaker

2014 23' International
2022 27' International
2021 20' Basecamp
Santa Rosa , California
Everything but hot water...

Jus adding myself to the list of people with issues. Just did a long weekend of cold water only camping. If there is a solution to this issue I am looking forward to hearing about it.

I have yet to try the workarounds but I am hopeful that something will help me limp along until a "real" fix is found.

Very curious about the ferrite clamps. May add one just to see.

Cheers!
Mitch
WBCCI# 24559
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Jus adding myself to the list of people with issues. Just did a long weekend of cold water only camping. If there is a solution to this issue I am looking forward to hearing about it.

I have yet to try the workarounds but I am hopeful that something will help me limp along until a "real" fix is found.

Very curious about the ferrite clamps. May add one just to see.

Cheers!

Mitch

Pull the 3rd blue fuse from the top and put it back in. It’ll start working immediately. For how long? Totally random.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Been following... cause I also have the issue.

Same issue for me during pick up day back in December of my 2023 BaseCamp 16X. Ran out of hot water during overnite stay on second shower. First one was brief as we only had tank feed. Reported it to dealer upon their arrival to the dealership in the morning. Service Dept performed a thorough go through of the system and could only suggest the now-established (?) work-around (fuse) were it to happen again. Dealer insinuated it was perhaps a one-time issue. Were they aware of this failure previously? Dunno...
No other issues encountered and dealer (Colonial) was more than helpful and accommodating for all else. Of course, they are 6-hours away now... I have not contacted them since I started following this thread and saw that it is a known issue. My Base Camp is still winterized at this point here in the NorthEast so no chance yet to retry. Hope they figure it out soon...
Catbot is offline   Reply With Quote