Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominphx View Post
Same issues as stated throughout the above and no solution on a 22 20X.
Had SOB with a Truma Combi for six years, was stellar, sips propane and always functioned as expected. Was excited when we started looking at Basecamps due to the 16 being offered with the Truma but decided we needed something slightly bigger.
We travel throughout the summer and early fall, only had intermittent hot water at best. Was really unhappy because of this, so called Truma on our return was told they only supply to mfgr's, no retail at all. Asked if Truma certified tech could do the install (there is one in Phoenix), Again no.
Anyone have an idea how you could get Truma as a replacement?

I’m working on the ferrite fix. Got the part from Airstream. The red wire into the water heater is tagged 12 volt positive, the black 12 volt negative. Anyone know which of the wires the ferrite barrel goes on?
BTW…The tech on the National Service line said it has worked on all but a couple of the trailers they’re aware of. He said some boards may have been compromised by the spikes and if the ferrite barrel fix didn’t work they would replace the board.
PS.. The problem is apparently in the converter which might account for us having problems before and after installing lithium iron batteries.
cajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:24 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Jackson Center put mine on the black wire. So far, it has fixed the problem. Some folks have even put a barrel on all 4 wires since they are so cheap so I don't think that hurts either.
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:22 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
Jackson Center put mine on the black wire. So far, it has fixed the problem. Some folks have even put a barrel on all 4 wires since they are so cheap so I don't think that hurts either.

Can you post a photo?
Weimhutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:23 PM   #44

2022 20' Basecamp
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Did the ferrite clamps solve the issue? I also had the controller board replaced only to face the same problem which is only resolve by pulling that third fuse.
Ocean Skiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:46 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Skiff View Post
Did the ferrite clamps solve the issue? I also had the controller board replaced only to face the same problem which is only resolve by pulling that third fuse.

No. So frustrating. I have been working with Jackson Center this week and they are now going to try adding a DC to DC converter they say will provide a consistent voltage to the water heater. I’ll update here if I can remember to.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:10 PM   #46

2022 20' Basecamp
Thanks please let us know if this works. I hate the thought of driving six hours round-trip only to be told the dealer doesn’t have a fix for it
Old 06-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
As an electrical engineer, i call BS on this. What 'Spike'? Lithiums have no 'Spike'.
Retired EE here- I think there is a system problem with the power quality in the Basecamp 20. The water heater doesn’t like spurious transients on the 12V. It also doesn’t like rapid cycling of the hot water like water-conservation efforts.

I have no equipment to prove my theory that the phantom sewer light turning on by itself is also related to the 12V power quality.

Our 2022 water heater mostly behaves when we keep the hot water flowing and don’t turn it on/off rapidly while using.

I’ve observed in a dark trailer the LED lights will occasionally flicker if I turn on the Fantastic fan.

I’d love the chance to work with the Airstream engineers to review the power systems.
dwhilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 08:16 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Edmonds , Washington
Any updates on the ferrite solution?
AAAAGaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:14 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAGaray View Post
Any updates on the ferrite solution?
Yes. In some cases the ferrite rings work but not always. As a result, Airstream issued a service bulletin and will send you the parts to fix yourself or take to a dealer at no cost. A DC to DC converter installed on the power line going to the water heater will solve the problem. Note, the service bulletin lists the issue being with 2022 and 2023 Basecamps that have upgraded to lithium batteries.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:02 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
michigan city , IN
Basecamp 20X Suburban water heater

Well that is nice of Airstream to "solve" the Suburban water heater issue for those with Lithium batteries but how about the rest of us?
Just spent 3 weeks in our 20X and in line water heater still an issue (although less so -- I've learned to live with the stone in my shoe I guess).
Still cannot modulate the water temperature at the sink faucet. We need to either turn the water on full hot or full cold. Anywhere in between results in my getting down on the floor to pull and reinsert the fuse.

Looking at an Oliver which has the Truma system.

Good luck
Birddogbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:05 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
michigan city , IN
LED sewer light

Had sewer light replaced. Same problem. Would not turn off. Was instructed by dealer to cut the wires and cap them. Now I can wear a headlamp if I need to deal with valve issues at night. Thanks Airstream.
Birddogbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:19 AM   #52
Winemaker

2014 23' International
2022 27' International
2021 20' Basecamp
Santa Rosa , California
I finally called to get the process started on “fixing” the water heater. I was told I had to bring in the camper and if the DC to DC converter was needed THEN they would request it from Jackson and install it. Makes sense in terms of not adding a part of its not needed but it means being without my camper for a long time. This is a problem that should have been addressed before the trailer left the factory. All of this (and a few other issues) are likely “growing pains” as the move away from their long partnership with the ZAMP ecosystem.
WBCCI# 24559
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:15 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2023 16' Basecamp
Creighton , Nebraska
I have the same issue with our 2023 16x with lithium batteries. I'm not sure but as I recall the water heater has always worked when I was unplugged. The problem shows up when we are plugged in at a campsite. Next time we are out I will only use battery to see if that makes a difference. Everything I'm reading makes me suspect the converter.
pfm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2023 16' Basecamp
Creighton , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
Yes. In some cases the ferrite rings work but not always. As a result, Airstream issued a service bulletin and will send you the parts to fix yourself or take to a dealer at no cost. A DC to DC converter installed on the power line going to the water heater will solve the problem. Note, the service bulletin lists the issue being with 2022 and 2023 Basecamps that have upgraded to lithium batteries.
Do you have anything to reference such as a SB number? Is that for just the ferrite rings or the DC/DC convertor?
Old 10-04-2023, 07:48 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2023 16' Basecamp
Creighton , Nebraska
I started checking the manuals for all the specs for the WH, water pump, and such. WH required at least 30psi so checked the water pump. It has pulsed since day one which I thought was normal since it did it on the delivery demo. Well it is a bypass pump which shouldn't pulse so I'll adjust it first. The WH voltage requirement is 10.5-14.0 volts at 2.5 amps so with the lithium set up it is at the top edge and is anything higher in certain charge stages. My rational is anything that causes noise in the DC could, which is at the max level, could be too much for electronics. Adjusting the water pump may fix it but the dealer said the DC-DC converter is the last step if everything else fails. So my plan is to adjust the pump and I ordered a 8-40v to 12v DC-DC converter from Amazon for $23 dollars. I live 300 miles from the dealer and they wanted to try each step the last of which is the convertor. I seems that with the lithium installation the DC-DC should be a part of it. I let you know how it works out.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #56

2022 20' Basecamp
Our 2022 Basecamp’s hot water finally worked the entire trip after the third controller replacement..
Our dealer told me Airstream is aware of the issue and the manufacturer has come out with a new controller to fix the issue.
I asked if the controller they replaced was one of the new controllers and it was not; however, the replacement worked.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:40 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2023 16' Basecamp
Creighton , Nebraska
I installed the DC-DC convertor today and the water heater has worked on every try so far. We hope to use it on a 3-4 outing before winterizing so that will be the real test. With the camper plugged in the battery voltage was 14.3 which is well outside the WH specs. Now the voltage to the WH is 12.2 all the time. Total cost: about $23 and a couple hours of this retiree's time.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:32 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
La Habra , California
Faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack West View Post
I have a '22 Basecamp 20 and have had the same problem. We had the water heater and pump replaced in first 6 months. Now out for 20 day trip and on day 4 heater stopped again. Now water pump is surging, but only at kitchen faucet. This is my third Airstream and definitely more issues than the other 2 combined. Regret selling my 23FC. Worried now about burning out the water pump.
My water pump was surging only with the kitchen faucet also! I cleaned the the spout screen and it was fine after! Have you tried that?
Mrvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:18 AM   #59

2023 16' Basecamp
Brentwood , Missouri
As every Basecamp seems to have a different water heater, is the "Suburban On Demand Water Heater" in your 20X the same unit that is called a "Recirculating Water Heater" on my REI 16X?
xroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:43 AM   #60

2023 20' Basecamp
Kansas , Kansas
Update

I installed a ferrite core from an old computer power cable and managed to get it around all the wires going into the main board:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ferrite-core.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	438176

It seemed to help but did not solve the issue.

I just ordered a DC-DC converter as mentioned by pfm41. I'll give that a try and will report back.
aceCamp is offline   Reply With Quote