Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2023, 07:04 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Aiken , South Carolina
Same problem. After lots of trips to Dealer, and changing out parts to no avail, and lots of lost time, it was the control panel, just like most of the other folks with a 20X that had this problem. It's a weak point in the system.
Dianainyuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:09 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
So, I’m the OP and I have an update on the water heater issue. According to a tech at Jackson Center, they have narrowed down the issue to Basecamps that have upgraded to lithium batteries. The water heater control board shuts down when it receives too big of a voltage spike from the lithiums. The fix was to put a small ferrite clamp on the power line to “catch” that spike in voltage. He said at some point Suburban will have to modify their control boards to handle that extra voltage and they have not had a Basecamp back in since adding the clamp.

This seems odd because lithiums are being installed everywhere but that was the answer I was given. We will see if it really is the fix.
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
So, I’m the OP and I have an update on the water heater issue. According to a tech at Jackson Center, they have narrowed down the issue to Basecamps that have upgraded to lithium batteries. The water heater control board shuts down when it receives too big of a voltage spike from the lithiums. The fix was to put a small ferrite clamp on the power line to “catch” that spike in voltage. He said at some point Suburban will have to modify their control boards to handle that extra voltage and they have not had a Basecamp back in since adding the clamp.

This seems odd because lithiums are being installed everywhere but that was the answer I was given. We will see if it really is the fix.
As an electrical engineer, i call BS on this. What 'Spike'? Lithiums have no 'Spike'.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
As an electrical engineer, i call BS on this. What 'Spike'? Lithiums have no 'Spike'.

I may not be using the right terms so I apologize. Maybe a spike in frequency? Below is one response I received in writing. Not that it provides much more detail….

“The ferrite barrels have shown to be effective here in our service center when the water heater is acting erratically.”
Old 03-23-2023, 10:57 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Aiken , South Carolina
Basecamp 20X Hot Water issue: Just had gas valve and control panel changed at nearest Airstream dealer (unit has been in and out of shop 3 times for a grand total of 2 months of the 6 I've owned it) with lots of troubleshooting and calls by them to Suburban. They are nice enough, but not sure anyone there can fix it. They just keep calling Suburban and trying whatever Suburban tells them. Probably a passthrough warrantee thing. Worked for 1 day when I went on trip this week after getting control panel changed, and guess what? No water despite all tips/recourses others have suggested. I have yet to have hot water on any full trip we've taken. I'm just FED UP with this model of Airstream. I like the trailer, but would not recommend one to anyone until they fix this issue.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Aiken , South Carolina
I have regular batteries and lithium is not the issue with no hot water
Old 03-23-2023, 11:07 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianainyuma View Post

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianainyuma View Post

I should add that my local dealer replaced the hot water heater with a new one and the issue still persisted.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
michigan city , IN
Lithium Obfuscation

We do not have Lithium batteries in our 2022 Basecamp 20x
We have had the same problem as everyone else
If the report that the issue is secondary to Lithium batteries is accurate then Airstream has a credibility problem that goes beyond my water heater issue.

I would appreciate honestly and transparency from Airstream
They should have been up front and public about this issue by contacting everyone who purchased a Basecamp and alerting them to the issue.

I have eased my mind about spending so much more for an Airstream by taking comfort in the "quality' reputation. Not much left of that rationalization.
Birddogbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:30 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
michigan city , IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
I may not be using the right terms so I apologize. Maybe a spike in frequency? Below is one response I received in writing. Not that it provides much more detail….

“The ferrite barrels have shown to be effective here in our service center when the water heater is acting erratically.”
"acting erractically" is another way for Airstream to push the responsibility off onto someone or something else. People and animals "act erratically". Devices act the way they were designed to act.
Birddogbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #31
Winemaker

2014 23' International
2022 27' International
2021 20' Basecamp
Santa Rosa , California
Better water heater to replace factory unit?

So I’m feeling like I’m not willing to fight with the factory water heater and make multiple trips to have it repaired only to have it fail again as several people have done on this thread.
Are there better water heaters that will fit exactly and replace the defective units AS provided?

Spending my time and money to improve the system seems like a better plan to me.

Has anyone looked into replacing?
Any thoughts on what unit fits and actually works?

Thanks!
Mitch
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:26 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Jefferson City , Missouri
2023 airstream 20 X same water heater problem

Just purchased a 2023 airstream 20 X. Picked up last Thursday and stay the night on the dealer lot. Woke up the next morning to no hot water service people looked at it and replace the fuse in the water heater and told me everything was fine now. Left the dealer lot and went to a campsite in a state park for a couple of days. Guess what, no hot water

Called the dealer. They told me that the problem was likely that I was not level. I guess that’s a possibility. But I highly doubt that’s causing the water heater to not heat water. I tend to believe the interference that the ferrite core solution is intended to fix, is probably the real problem. But the dealer didn’t know anything about this and told me that he use it again before I brought it in.

I’m OK with that. Going to go out again in about two weeks but another cold shower is nothing. I’m looking forward to.
Midmomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:55 PM   #33

2023 20' Basecamp
Kansas , Kansas
2023 20x with hot water one time only

I can confirm the same issue with my '23 20x. The hot water worked just one time when I first set up camp on my 2nd trip.

I have some ferrite cores lying around so will do some more research and then tear into that heater in the next few weeks and report back.

Thanks everyone!
aceCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:07 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midmomac View Post
Just purchased a 2023 airstream 20 X. Picked up last Thursday and stay the night on the dealer lot. Woke up the next morning to no hot water service people looked at it and replace the fuse in the water heater and told me everything was fine now. Left the dealer lot and went to a campsite in a state park for a couple of days. Guess what, no hot water

Called the dealer. They told me that the problem was likely that I was not level. I guess that’s a possibility. But I highly doubt that’s causing the water heater to not heat water. I tend to believe the interference that the ferrite core solution is intended to fix, is probably the real problem. But the dealer didn’t know anything about this and told me that he use it again before I brought it in.

I’m OK with that. Going to go out again in about two weeks but another cold shower is nothing. I’m looking forward to.

Grab some ferrite barrels off Amazon and put one on the black wire going to the water heater. It should be in a bundle with 3 other wires. It’s a known issue. Others have tried it and it works.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:59 PM   #35
Winemaker

2014 23' International
2022 27' International
2021 20' Basecamp
Santa Rosa , California
I would really like to replace the crappy factory hot water heater with one I can depend on.
Any recommendations?
WBCCI# 24559
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:30 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Aiken , South Carolina
Basecamp 20X Hot Water Issues

In reading all the posts on this 20X hot water problem, I'm surprised at how many Airstream dealers are uninformed about this Basecamp 20X hot water heater problem, and are giving unhelpful advice and doing repairs that probably aren't necessary. This is costing both them and the customers lots of time, frustration, and money. Airstream Inc should address this issue head-on and, at a minimum, let owners and dealers know what's going on via a tech bulletin or notice.

I'm tired of cold showers - my wife refuses to travel in it until it's fixed. I am a little skeptical about the proposed fix of adding a "ferrite core", but will try it and hope it works.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:29 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Alaska
We have a 2021 20X and have experienced the same issue.

Our basecamp is currently at the dealership, waiting for a solution to fix this, but everyone seems stumped.

We do not have lithium batteries, so I don’t think that is the root cause of the problem.

Airstream needs to make this right…admit there is a problem and provide a real solution so that we all can enjoy hot water.
Weimhutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:23 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Jefferson City , Missouri
I’m not sure what to think at this point

I have a brand new Basecamp 20 X, and the first time out I could get no hot water. I called the dealer, and frankly it seem to me like they kind of blew me off.

I read in another post here that one way to mitigate the issue Was to set the water temperature lower and use only hot water when you wanted warm water. I also read the manual that came with the water heater.

Went back out this last weekend, and rather than setting the water temperature up to 130° with the intention of mixing cold water at the water faucet, I set the water temperature to 105°, and when I wanted warm water, only use the hot. At least for this trip, that seem to fix my problem. The water was warm every time I tried to use it.

I’m not sure this is the way it’s intended to work, and I still believe there’s some kind of a problem, but at least I was able to use my brand new Basecamp the way it was Intended.
Midmomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:58 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midmomac View Post
I have a brand new Basecamp 20 X, and the first time out I could get no hot water. I called the dealer, and frankly it seem to me like they kind of blew me off.

I read in another post here that one way to mitigate the issue Was to set the water temperature lower and use only hot water when you wanted warm water. I also read the manual that came with the water heater.

Went back out this last weekend, and rather than setting the water temperature up to 130° with the intention of mixing cold water at the water faucet, I set the water temperature to 105°, and when I wanted warm water, only use the hot. At least for this trip, that seem to fix my problem. The water was warm every time I tried to use it.

I’m not sure this is the way it’s intended to work, and I still believe there’s some kind of a problem, but at least I was able to use my brand new Basecamp the way it was Intended.
Since having this issue, I have learned that your idea of setting the temp to 104 or 105 and only using hot water fixes the issue in some cases (it didn't with mine). The reason being is that because an on demand water heater needs adequate water pressure to fire up the heater, when you have it set real high and mix cold water at the tap, there is less water being drawn into the water heater, therefore reducing the pressure needed to fire up the flame.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Phoenix , Arizona
Same issues as stated throughout the above and no solution on a 22 20X.
Had SOB with a Truma Combi for six years, was stellar, sips propane and always functioned as expected. Was excited when we started looking at Basecamps due to the 16 being offered with the Truma but decided we needed something slightly bigger.
We travel throughout the summer and early fall, only had intermittent hot water at best. Was really unhappy because of this, so called Truma on our return was told they only supply to mfgr's, no retail at all. Asked if Truma certified tech could do the install (there is one in Phoenix), Again no.
Anyone have an idea how you could get Truma as a replacement?
tominphx is offline   Reply With Quote