Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
GFCI breaker issue - 3 day old flying cloud

Hello folks. I am an AS veteran of 3 full days. I have a question. I did several searches and spent at least two hours reading non applicable stuff so apologies in advance if covered elsewhere.

2020 flying cloud 27 FB

Day 1 everything worked no problem at all. Day 2 stayed at a koa campground in charlotte (first night in SC was 5 star experience, day 2 in koa not so much).

All of a sudden my GFCI plugs don't work. Well all but 1 to be clear. No other issues. 50 amp shoreline. Have surge protector. The bathroom/kitchen/outdoor/ bedroom plugs didn't work.

None of the plugs had a recent on the plug. There is 1 GFI under the bench by the table that does have reset, but it was working, was reset, and appears not to be on same circuit.

In panel box it was not tripped. I flipped breaker off and on to be sure and nothing. I push the test button and does not trip breaker.

Any thoughts. Is it possible my breaker went bad after 1 day? If it was an issue with one of the gfi plugs, the breaker would still engage and pop right? Those breakers ate $50. Stings a bit for a 3 fay old unit that cost more than i am comfortable admitting.

Gonna swap out but anyone have any other thoughts. I have limited electrical knowledge/experience and it seems to be the most complex part of the new rig.

Thanks all!!
NCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I believe there is a blue gfci reset switch on the gfci breaker itself... did you try that?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I don't see a reset on my GFCI outlets. Is there a master reset somewhere?
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
There is no button other than test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	368646
Old 05-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Your style is similar to mine and does not have a separate GFI reset. I just went out to verify how it works. As you surmised the test button and a ground fault will throw the breaker. I would cycle the switch a couple times. Push it fairly hard to the off position to try to catch the reset latch, then flip it back on. It should snap in with a audible clap as a spring holds the contacts in place. If it doesn't try a couple more times using a tad more pressure when pushing the switch to off. Still doesn't? Then you unfortunately need to replace it.

It's not a difficult job and you don't need special tools. You will have to disconnect shore power, remove the plastic door and then the metal panel front the breakers latch under the bus bar on the top and click in with a spring latch on the bottom.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Your style is similar to mine and does not have a separate GFI reset. I just went out to verify how it works. As you surmised the test button and a ground fault will throw the breaker. I would cycle the switch a couple times. Push it fairly hard to the off position to try to catch the reset latch, then flip it back on. It should snap in with a audible clap as a spring holds the contacts in place. If it doesn't try a couple more times using a tad more pressure when pushing the switch to off. Still doesn't? Then you unfortunately need to replace it.

It's not a difficult job and you don't need special tools. You will have to disconnect shore power, remove the plastic door and then the metal panel front the breakers latch under the bus bar on the top and click in with a spring latch on the bottom.

Thank you. Tried that. Gonna replace breaker. Hopefully can get at big box because i live an hour from an RV service places. Appreciate the quick responses. Will reply if this doesn't correct the issue.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You may also want to first verify you don't have a short or ground fault preventing the breaker from resetting. Are all the outlets free of devices? The refrig does plug into the same circuit and the outlet is outside behind the access panel.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you have been in rain, the outdoor plug might have water inside it, or if anything you have plugged in might be damp inside, that could prevent a reset.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If you have been in rain, the outdoor plug might have water inside it. That could prevent a reset.

Interesting. We did have rain. Not that much and the cover was closed but i will consider this.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you do end up replacing it, it is a very common bus bar design so you don't need an Eaton C115. The original design was a Cutler Hammer CL type. So A Murry MP, Siemens Q, GE THQ and many more interchange. Mine is a Siemens, it has a nice LED indicating if there is a ground fault.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Check the breaker/fuse on the inverter...like physically on the inverter unit
Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
If you only lose some of the outlets to ac then I would check the reset on the rear of the inverter. Happened to me not that long ago.
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 33' Land Yacht
APEX , NC
GFCI reset

Reset the Gfic breaker by turning OFF until it clicks then turn it on.
Don't change out the receptacles
RON NICKELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I've run into this problem before. Try removing the surge protector and connecting directly to the power post. Sometimes even though the display on the protector reads OK, it may not be. If you have the opportunity to try another 50 amp cord, sometimes there is a problem with a very minor cross connection in the cord. Remember it only takes a mismatch of about 5 mA of current (5 milliamps or . 005 A) to trip a GFCI.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Delphi , Indiana
Gfci

Always lots of excellent advice on this forum. I had a similar issue this last winter in south Texas when I very thoroughly washed my AS, I suspect I sprayed water into the vent above the refrigerator. After several hours drying out in the low humidity everything was good again. Sometimes you just get lucky!
drbob46923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
External outlets are GFI and very sensitive to any moisture no matter what cover is used. Hair dryers or heat guns (careful with this one, I’ve disfigured one outlet already) have combatted successfully fog, heavy dew as well as rain.Eventually enough! Sealed it off completely.q
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Crossville , Tennessee
three day old GFCI issuee

Had this problem called the factory any had me reset the breaker on the side of the inverter , did that and everything was ok. It was a red button on the side of the inverter , One would never think there was a reset on the inverter but this was the problem. Calling the factory has been a good way to find out these thing ,and they are very good to help you,
denora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by denora View Post
Had this problem called the factory any had me reset the breaker on the side of the inverter , did that and everything was ok. It was a red button on the side of the inverter , One would never think there was a reset on the inverter but this was the problem. Calling the factory has been a good way to find out these thing ,and they are very good to help you,
I had a similar problem with my inverter. I thought it got wet and shorted out when the sink fell in my 2019 Classic (spilling water on top of the inverter). It dried out and the breaker on the inverter reset. Good to go now!!

Thanks, Denora!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
There might be another GFCI in line with the others you haven’t found yet. I knew a house where the gfcis in the garage wouldn’t work, found a gfci in a bathroom on the other end of the house controlled the garage.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Cedar Park , Texas
GFCI tripping is a problematic situation. My experience tells me to check all the outlets for proper connection. Correct grounding is not always present on OEM RV Receptacles. Also consider replacing the GFCI Outlet. OEM GFCI Plugs are usually sub par.
cesaro is offline   Reply With Quote