Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenoliver View Post
Hello all! This topic is fascinating...thank you pteck!

I've got a '77 Excella 31' CB and I'm in the wiring phase of a shell off renovation.
I love the idea of using the GZ Yeti as a power source for the 120v side when I'm not plugged into shore power. I'm planning on having 2 AGM batteries for the DC side of things (USB plugs, LED puck lights, etc). I'm planning on having the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 as my main hub for both systems. I also plan on installing at least a couple solar panels on the roof to supplement with recharging both the AGM batteries and the Yeti.

My question is this...if you could design your own system from scratch, (with the intent of doing a good amount of boondocking and only using 120v power for charging laptops, running Instantpot, etc), what would be must-haves?

Should I install a transfer switch to between the Yeti and shore power?
Just trying to think out loud and get some wisdom.

Thanks in advance for your input!

That's a big job! Sounds like you're well into it with lots of planning going on.

I don't think I'd do anything different for my setup at the ground floor. If you re-read the first post, I do have a transfer switch installed to do exactly what you describe to go between the Yeti and shore power. It's seamless.

What I would suggest to you is to get as much solar as possible. 200W of solar isn't enough to support 2x AGMs and large lithium battery. I'd recommend 400W + another 100W portable panel (for shade/tree cover spots) if possible.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #142
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
That's a big job! Sounds like you're well into it with lots of planning going on.

I don't think I'd do anything different for my setup at the ground floor. If you re-read the first post, I do have a transfer switch installed to do exactly what you describe to go between the Yeti and shore power. It's seamless.

What I would suggest to you is to get as much solar as possible. 200W of solar isn't enough to support 2x AGMs and large lithium battery. I'd recommend 400W + another 100W portable panel (for shade/tree cover spots) if possible.
Pteck,

Thank you much! I thought of 2 followup questions...and please forgive me if you've already addressed these questions in previous posts.

#1: Do you use the solar setup on your AS to (slowly) charge your Yeti alongside the other batteries? If so, how to do you do that?

#2: How do you avoid charging your other batteries (via your converter) when the Yeti is powered on? Do you simply turn off your converter when the Yeti is on?

Thank you again for your insight!
allenoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #143
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenoliver View Post
Pteck,

Thank you much! I thought of 2 followup questions...and please forgive me if you've already addressed these questions in previous posts.

#1: Do you use the solar setup on your AS to (slowly) charge your Yeti alongside the other batteries? If so, how to do you do that?

#2: How do you avoid charging your other batteries (via your converter) when the Yeti is powered on? Do you simply turn off your converter when the Yeti is on?

Thank you again for your insight!
Short answer:
1) Yes
2) Turn off converter

They are discussed in depth in the first post and post #17
Old 01-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Where is the Yeti 1000??

It's like Carmen San Diego, trying to find who has these in stock...and at a <$1000 price tag...Costco sold out, but I wasn't interested in the portable solar kit that came with the Yeti 1000W they had...have been looking for couple months now for these...any suggestions are appreciated?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
REI CO-OP (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) -- their price of $1100 has the co-op discount rebate of 10 percent payable in cash that is distributed each March...

Costs $20 for a lifetime membership so that would be $1010 cost before taxes, order to pick up at store saves shipping...
Old 01-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Have you considered adding a GZ Battery Tank?

Quote:
These devices have indeed been around for awhile, with a lot of swirl in discussion. The possibilities, accessories, and learnings are changing constantly. Lots of information and options to wade through with MPPT charger this, stacking chargers that, which all gets complicated quick. Just like permanent lithium installs, the possibilities are endless.

Here it shows my house lead acid batts charging at 9.1 amps and GZ charging at 5.5 amps on a shady day.
Attachment 342484
ptek, I've been following your GZ Yeti implementation and wondered if you considered adding one of their Battery Tanks. Wouldn't that increase the run time of your Yeti? It looks like they're going after the residential backup market with their Tanks.

Thanks again for all your posts for those who might not want to grow their own system.

-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #147
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Glad you brought that up. The battery tank expansion kit for the Goal Zero Yeti series represents a pretty awesome opportunity to further expand into serious capacity ranges with minimal cost.

It's pretty much a plug in adapter, with a flying lead to attach slave AGM batteries. Adding this could expand the accessory bank to 200-300 or more ah. All without the integration fuss and cost of lithium. Plenty of storage in the lower utility cabinets for extra AGM batts. While allowing full 120V power and performance. While still keeping the flexibility of a portable power bank when necessary.

I personally don't need that type of capacity as I find the 100Ah GZ 1000 to be plenty for my uses. I camp with large tent camping groups regularly (YMCA father/daughter Indian Princess program) , and we us my AS a base station for water and power regularly the outdoor kitchen operations. Just plug an extension cable to the exterior 120V receptacle, and turn on the GZ inverter and we're in business. Night time lighting, charging phones, commercial coffee pot...no problemo.

And solar charges it all.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
pteck, thanks for the update and affirmation on how the battery tank works. This makes so much sense to me as an alternative to growing your own lithium setup.

I have two questions about your integration; pardon me if you've answered these already.
1) How did you connect your GZ to your transfer switch? I'm a visual learner and trying to picture both sides of the connection.
2) Is your solar roof mounted or suit case? I believe the GZ has a solar controller? Our Globetrotter has factory solar so I'm wondering if I could redirect it to a GZ unit and leave the factory AGM batteries intact for 12V usage.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The GZ Yeti 1000 does not come with a solar controller, it is a $100 add-on, whereas the larger units do have one standard. If your panels support the 8mm plug, you can use the default input on the Yeti just fine. As others have noted, the MPPT controller does perform more efficiently when attaching multiple panels as it can take more input and optimizes the charging. I added one to my Yeti 1000, and use the Anderson Power Pole input for two 100 watt panels (connected in parallel). I can add two more 180 watt panels for a total of 560 watts and the controller can handle it. I charged from 20% to 66% today on a semi-cloudy day using my two 100 watt panels. I saw 150 or more watts actual input at noon. For comparison, my rooftop solar was producing 36KWhs over the same time period, and could produce over 60 on a clear day. So yes, you can charge a Yeti 1000 significantly with just a couple of panels like those on an AS. BTW, the solar controller is an easy add-on, and is quite modular.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #150
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
The GZ Yeti 1000 does not come with a solar controller, it is a $100 add-on, whereas the larger units do have one standard.
To clarify, the GZ 1000 does come with solar charging capability right out of the box. I do use mine every blue moon with a portable solar panel to charge when I'm car camping. Otherwise, it's charging directly from my 400W of solar installed on my airstream via a GZ 12V Car Charger adapter.

The add on does increase efficiency, somewhat of a MPPT upgrade if you will. I don't find it necessary for my uses, and I can rely on my AS installed solar.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #151
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Lithium Batteries et al

Recommend all concerned take a hard look at Eco Flo Delta 1300 please compare cost and specs with GZ Yeti 1000 . I just received 2 each Delta’s solar power stations along with 2 each 110 watt portable solar panels.My set up now (2019 Sport 16) for off grid/green power configuration consists of:
* 2 AGM 80 ah batteries
* 80 watt roof top solar panel
* 1 each Ienergy Apex solar station with 30 amp receptacle.
* Installed inside 30 amp RV shore power receiver switchable
with out side 30 amp receiver .
I will test for all combined DC and AC appliance power consumption metrics to included Sport 16 11000 BTU AC. The Delta's provides continuous 1800 watts. Next I will consider Zero Breeze Mark 2 Portable Air Conditioner as an augmentation option for AC off the grid.
Best
Ron Conte
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1934 View Post
Recommend all concerned take a hard look at Eco Flo Delta 1300 please compare cost and specs with GZ Yeti 1000 . I just received 2 each Delta’s solar power stations along with 2 each 110 watt portable solar panels.My set up now (2019 Sport 16) for off grid/green power configuration consists of:
* 2 AGM 80 ah batteries
* 80 watt roof top solar panel
* 1 each Ienergy Apex solar station with 30 amp receptacle.
* Installed inside 30 amp RV shore power receiver switchable
with out side 30 amp receiver .
I will test for all combined DC and AC appliance power consumption metrics to included Sport 16 11000 BTU AC. The Delta's provides continuous 1800 watts. Next I will consider Zero Breeze Mark 2 Portable Air Conditioner as an augmentation option for AC off the grid.
Best
Ron Conte
So tell us what you paid for all this stuff, and why you feel it is a better option to the Yeti 1000? Pictures if you have them also....Appreciate your feedback.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #153
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ron also update us on whether it will actually run your 11000BTU air conditioner and how long. Based on the specs which are pretty thin on their web site they have 1295wh battery. Your AC probably pulls about 100 amps when running. Using the standard how low can you go calculation for lithium batteries you have about 100ah usable so the AC, if it is actually able to start, would run about an hour on one battery. YMMV.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
To clarify, the GZ 1000 does come with solar charging capability right out of the box. I do use mine every blue moon with a portable solar panel to charge when I'm car camping. Otherwise, it's charging directly from my 400W of solar installed on my airstream via a GZ 12V Car Charger adapter.

The add on does increase efficiency, somewhat of a MPPT upgrade if you will. I don't find it necessary for my uses, and I can rely on my AS installed solar.
I'm looking for clarification on how you charge your GZ in your Airstream with the GZ 12V Car Charger? My globetrotter only has USB connections and my GZ 12V charger only works in a cigarette lighter connection.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:23 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1934 View Post
Recommend all concerned take a hard look at Eco Flo Delta 1300 please compare cost and specs with GZ Yeti 1000 .
. . .
https://ecoflow.com/products/delta1300
https://youtu.be/nGXtkcd-CJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So tell us what you paid for all this stuff, and why you feel it is a better option to the Yeti 1000? Pictures if you have them also....Appreciate your feedback.
Also looking forward to further details Ron . . . thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I'm looking for clarification on how you charge your GZ in your Airstream with the GZ 12V Car Charger? My globetrotter only has USB connections and my GZ 12V charger only works in a cigarette lighter connection.
We have one in our 2014 FC20, as do most earlier Airstreams, but later model years dropped them.

Many folks have added one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ciga...com&gws_rd=ssl

Peter

PS -- FWIW -- The industry-wide nearly-ubiquitous use of the term "generator" for this kind of device is a bummer IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #156
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
When I become a more enlightened 'Streamer' I will definitely consider a "solar generator."
Until then I will blindly go where no novitiate has gone before.
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #157
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
Fortunately, it's rather easy to install cigarette lighter outlets. I installed an extra one in my trailer so as to have one right where I mounted my GZ battery.

Lots of kits available on Amazon. Here's one for example - https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lig...F5F0ZCQDWY11FH

You'll want to tie the cig lighter to the 12V bus at the distribution point within the trailer. If it's a longer run, I recommend upgrading the wiring to something like 14 gauge so as not to have too much voltage drop.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #158
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Pledge $1,299 or more
DELTA 1300 Clean Energy Solution
40% OFF

DELTA with 1300Wh capacity and 1800W output. Recharge fully within two hours. Power 13 devices simultaneously. Built with aerospace-grade aluminum and high strength steel. Charge with any solar panel mat.

Features 4x USB ports, 2x 60-watt USB-C ports, 6x Wall Outlets (US) or 4x Wall Outlets (Int).

Including 2x 110W Solar Panel. Recharge DELTA to full in about 7.5 hours, depending on the weather.

7 days no-questions-asked return,BATTERY LIFE TIME GUARANTEE (KS exclusive!)

INCLUDES:
AC Cable (Input)
Warranty Card
2 each110W Solar Panels
DELTA 1300
Solar Panel Cover
User Manual
Solar Charger Cable (Input)

Plus I bought an additional Delta for $899, today's price around $1100.
Working on pictures and waiting for warmer weather in Fairfax County VA for testing.
A big issue for me is the weight of the Delta 30lbs vs SOB solar stations.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
All of this is educational to me. I have the GZ 1000 and currently connect it from my truck bed to my Rv via extension. Cord to my 50 amp input with converter turned off.

I recharge via electric when I hAve full hookups or via cigarette lighter in my truck using the 5 amp setting as the 10 amp setting gets too hot. However, the Vs takes up more space in my back floor than I like.

Seems to me I now have 2 other options to recharge in the Rv while travelleing.

1. Install a cigarette lighter via the 12V bus in my Rv as Pteck suggests, or
2. Use my 1000 watt inverter in the Rv to charge via that.

Both methods would use factory solar and my umbilical cord to Tv while in route. While at rest the cigarette lighter would recharge via solar during the day when we only have the refrigerator being the other main draw. I realize the factory solar is not a lot, but it is an option.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Can use a DC to DC charger

GOUSC, there are purpose build DC to DC chargers that work off your TV’s charging system.

One company from Australia, REDARC is really into DC charging and converters. They isolate your TV battery so the batteries on the far end don’t run it down. Also, they have a model with dual inputs so you can use solar + TV to charge. Really cool stuff. I was looking at these to charge the Airtstream’s batteries while on the road rather than the 7 pin cable.

Video of the device

Renogy has a smaller, more affordable solution.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!