Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
If you are redoing the floors yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
It is expensive and you don't need it! Just my opinion plus if it is salt cured then bad juju!
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I read over the MSDS info on regular plywood and the marine grade I'm looking at.
Neither appear any more or less toxic than the other.
Nothing about salt cure.
For the extra hundred bucks or so I will go with the marine grade. If I dont there will come a time I will regret it I am sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Dingo Girl,
Matt's reference to salt cured wood Might not be speaking to the toxic affect to health, but to the metal it touches. I had a experience where I used treated wood (salt cured) for the facia board on my garage. Instead of painting the facia I wrapped/covered with metal, within six months I had corrosion blisters eating through that metal trim. After talking to professional installers they all said not to use the salt cured treated wood due to the salt corroding the metal.
Maybe others will weigh in on this?
Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Now you've got me thinking. Wonder how I find out?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I called Roseburg and talked to an engineer. He said there is no chemical or salt curing of the wood they use in the marine grade. It remains in its natural state.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
The main difference with mgp is the glue as for voids or wood quality there is no difference and the price which can be a diff of 30 bucks a sheet if you live by the ocean!
Cliff

Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
From apaplywood.org:

In order to qualify for a particular end use, panels must be submitted for testing and meet performance criteria in three critical areas: structural performance, physical properties and bond performance.
Panels are typically classified in one of two bond classifications:
■ "Exterior" panels have bonds capable of withstanding repeated wetting and redrying or long-term exposure to weather or other conditions of similar severity.
■ "Exposure 1" panels are suitable for uses not involving long-term exposure to weather. Panels classified as Exposure 1 are intended to resist the effects of moisture due to construction delays, or other conditions of similar severity. Exposure 1 panels may also be used when exposure to the outdoors is on the under-side only, such as at roof overhangs, although appearance characteristics of the panel grade should also be considered. Exposure 1 panels are made with the same exterior adhesives used in Exterior panels. However, because other panel compositional factors may affect bond per- formance, only Exterior panels should be used for long-term exposure to the weather.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
The Roseburg "marine" plywood is Exposure 1 rated by APA and is $59.99. You will likely have to special order it.

The ACX sold at the same fine home center is Exterior rated by APA (better than Exposure 1) and is $34.99.

In my opinion, the real goal is to keep your Airstream plywood floor dry. Occasional moisture will not cause it to rot away if it dries out quickly, but chronic moisture will.

Use "Exterior" rated plywood with an A face up toward the inside of your trailer and keep it dry.

www.apaplywood.org is the industry source for information. Free sign-up is required to download information which is abundant.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Well said and I do agree exterior grade plywood works better and is much cheaper!
Cliff

Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Again, from APA:

Frequently Asked Questions: Products

What is Marine-grade plywood?

Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a “premium” panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.
Marine-grade plywood is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12 feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.
Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard.
The detailed description of veneer grades and Marine-grade plywood is contained in Voluntary Product Standard PS 1-09: Structural Plywood.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Acx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
The Roseburg "marine" plywood is Exposure 1 rated by APA and is $59.99. You will likely have to special order it.

The ACX sold at the same fine home center is Exterior rated by APA (better than Exposure 1) and is $34.99.

In my opinion, the real goal is to keep your Airstream plywood floor dry. Occasional moisture will not cause it to rot away if it dries out quickly, but chronic moisture will.

Use "Exterior" rated plywood with an A face up toward the inside of your trailer and keep it dry.

www.apaplywood.org is the industry source for information. Free sign-up is required to download information which is abundant.
Thank you for all of the very good information. Who knew there were so many different characteristics of plywood.
Looks like I will go with the ACX then. The plan is to seal the edges about a foot or so in. It cant hurt.
And yes the trailer will stay dry. Not only have I sealed the trailer very well
I have a contractor coming over this week to start planning an "Airstreamport". Basically a steel pole building with out the sides.
I cant put all this work in to it and then let it sit out exposed to the elements. That to me would be crazy.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Sorry, I didn't mean to barrage everyone with information, but hate to see misinformation lead to unnecessary expense.

I think sealing edges is a good idea and sealing all cuts and perforations is also good. I do not think sealing entire sheets is good as the plywood needs to be able to dry out if it gets wet (plumbing leak, spill, shell leak, open window, etc.). One of the good things about plywood over OSB is that the wood fibers stay long and this allows water to move from wet to dry areas and make it out of the wood.

The "marine" plywood offered is suspicious as it is not "Exterior" rated and the product literature states that the adhesives are only "moisture resistant".

I recommend AC Exterior only to get you an "A" face for flooring like linoleum tile or sheet. If you are using a click in laminate or other thicker flooring you could use BC Exterior as slight imperfections will not transfer. This will save you $5/sheet.

Airstreamport is an excellent idea. I think you coined a new term?
Old 07-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Thanks again! I have a favorite mom and pop lumber store. I will go there and see about 5/8 acx this week.
Cant believe its July already.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Gray tank ideas?

Any input on where to locate a gray water tank in/for a 67 Caravel would be great. The under the floor model at VTS is 3 7/8 thick. The caravel frame is 3.o thick. Not sure what to do with the extra 7/8? Box it in and change belly skin?
I am not putting the original plastic sink/ shower pan combo back in so I am open to above floor gray tank ideas too.
The trailer frame is very exposed right now. An ideal time to put one in.
I was going to go with a composting toilet but now think I will use the traditional kind that sits on a black tank.
If I put the VTS gray tank under the bathroom floor at the very back of the trailer then where do I locate dump valve for above floor black tank? It would not be able to go in its original locale.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
There is an above floor gray tank that will sit under the sink but since you are not putting that back in then if you go to the threads in the forum plumbing section there are a couple of threads that have HTML tags for tank resources. Good luck
Cliff

Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I'm still plugging away. All new crossmembers and stringers are replaced on the frame. I'm replacing all the out riggers too. Should finish those up tomorrow eve.
My plasma torch makes easy work of removing old rusty junk.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Ordered plywood last night for the floor. 5/8. Should be here in 2 weeks or less. :-)

Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Airstream badge, of honor.

I knew it was only a matter of time before there was an Airstream related injury. This is my left knee after the angle grinder payed it a very brief visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140720_115121-1-1-1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	217030  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Bet that hurt like hell but at least you still have it! I personally would have busted the damn thing and thrown it outside! On a lighter note what were you grinding?
Cliff
Oh yes clean that up and quite using a grinder! Just use a razor like everybody else!