Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Halogen replacement bulbs???

Hi Everyone,

Any idea where I can find the little replacement bulbs that are in the silver reading lights? I think the same ones are in the ceiling light. They are clear with two pins. I looked at Camper World online and found something called a JC-10 Clear Bulb (12 volts, 10 watts). Can I also get these from other (maybe closer) sources? Is this the same as a low voltage landscape bulb?

Thanks for your help.

John and Pam Geisen
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I can't answer your question John, but one of our task lights (the ones that rotate) worked intermittently. I took it apart looking for a loose wire, but couldn't find it. The bulb seemed ok. Since it was on warranty, they replaced it. So it could be a loose wire. Of course, the easiest way to find out is to replace the bulb, so you're back where you started. Isn't there another RV store nearby? Maybe an electrical supply outlet?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Hi Everyone,

Any idea where I can find the little replacement bulbs that are in the silver reading lights? I think the same ones are in the ceiling light. They are clear with two pins. I looked at Camper World online and found something called a JC-10 Clear Bulb (12 volts, 10 watts). Can I also get these from other (maybe closer) sources? Is this the same as a low voltage landscape bulb?

Thanks for your help.

John and Pam Geisen
You should be able to get halogen replacements at a hardware store like Ace or at Home Depot...take a bad one with you to the store so you are sure to get the right one... Don't handle the new halogens with your bare fingers...skin oil will shorten their life... And they get very hot, too...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Xenon or Halogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help.

John and Pam Geisen
You can sometimes find them at Home Depot, etc. but they are ridiculously expensive. It's been a while since I got my replacement bulbs - I think they are 10 watt, but may be 5 (The wattage is embossed near the pins, but it takes a magnifying glass and good light to read it). I bought my unit new, and a bunch of bulbs went bad pretty much at the same time, so I did a google search and matched the bulbs by picture and wattage. They were cheaper to buy in groups of 10 so I bought 20 - probably a 5 year supply. I think a few people have bought arrays of lights like taillights with 20-30 bulbs, and pulled the bulbs use in their fixtures.

A lot of people say the xenon bulbs are less yellow - which seems to be true. They do cost a bit more though. Getting the ceiling light fixtures apart and back together is a fingernail buster. You have to pry out the inner ring that holds the lens. I resorted to a jeweler's screwdriver which works well.

PS. I'm got a table lamp with a fluorescent bulb which I like a lot for sewing & reading. One of these days when I'm feeling energetic, I'll probably replace the crap lights in the bathroom with fluorescent too. Not flattering but bright. If your makeup looks decent with fluorescent, it'll look fantastic in other light.

Enjoy your unit.