Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Wannabe

Looking to live fulltime in an Airstream, up here in Canada. Some say I'm nuts, but my friends can see it. I've travelled in a VW van for 6 months with 2 of my kids, but that was all sunny and hot and the great outdoors was our living room. This will definitely be a little different. So, no, I'm not actually kidless, just dependent free. The last one is officially an adult, and now it's a bit of me time. I've been drawn to the airstreams since I watched the caravans pass through central BC in the 70's. I'm currently looking at a 69 27' Overlander. I have read dozens of your forums, and I will try to be patient and not grab the 1st one.

Very glad to be on board. Hope to eventually provide a little insights to a single woman living fulltime in an Airstream in the north.

Signed
Not exactly kidless
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Take your time, and the right Airstream will show up. There's plenty of help here on the Forums if you need it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless
that was all sunny and hot and the great outdoors was our living room.
you could always come down to southern california if you want that weather all year round

welcome to the forums!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Good for you. Lynn and I don't think full timing is for us but those we know that do it and have done it have/had a blast. If meeting and enjoying different people around the continent pleases you go for it. 27' should be plenty of room for your creature comforts and big enough for an occasional travel companion. Be sure the Overlander is in tip top condition as repairs on the road can be expensive and somewhat annoying. Best Wishes.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
I'm 2 steps closer. The 69 Overlander I'm looking at has to be transported over 2200 miles, and is in pretty much perfect shape for me. The 74 Sovereign is only blocks from me, but I'm not too crazy about the 74 look and this one needs a bit of work. The cost difference may be over $12-15,000. So, here's my question. Is it really a terrible thing to pull out the 70's finish and put in wood, or a more 60's or natural finish look?

Any advice gladly welcomed
Old 12-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have seen some nice jobs of replacing the "wood" in a 70's trailer. I have also seen some real hack jobs. If it is done right, I think it is great. I still have the original in mine and for some strange reason, I like it.

Remember the curved walls will make the replacement much harder to do. It will also add weight to the trailer as wood weighs more then 70's "wood".

A third option is to wait for one to show up closer to you with the options you want. I searched for 8 months before I found mine. I also walked away from some for various reasons.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums! I got my Tradewind from a couple just outside Gibsons (Roberts Creek)! Good luck with your search!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
No Longer Wannabe - Got it for Me!

Yesterday I purchased my 31' 1975 Sovereign. Don't have to move it, and when I need to, it will be moved for free. It's pretty much original, and can be used right away. Turns out my son would like to live in it awhile. Maybe its a good thing to pause the renovations idea and keep it in it's original state. I'm very excited. I'm definitely hooked. Have already started giving away my possessions in order to live in it full time. Somewhere I'll start a blog.

Cheers to all. Happy New Year
Christina
Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Christina, Congrats on you new trailer. Now you will need to update your Avatar! Hope you get to enjoy it soon. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Congrats on the new trailer! Be sure to post some pics when you can.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Great stuff Christina, glad you found your Airstream.

There are quite a few of us Airstreamers in the lower mainland, Vancouver Island, and I've seen several on our trips up the Sunshine Coast. You live in a paradise and to add the advantage of living in an Airstream sure makes sense to me.

As I'm sure you know by now we love pictures.

Glad to have you on the forum.

Barry
Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless
Maybe its a good thing to pause the renovations idea and keep it in it's original state.
christina,

it is a good idea to take your time on this. as an architect i always encourage clients to live in their house for awhile before the decide to renovate because then they can see how they really use the space as they live in it. of course i didn't nothing of the sort with my flying cloud and immediately ripped out the interior....as the saying goes, do as i say, not as i do

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
David, the timing of your comment is quite amazing. I must have said almost the exact same words today. Since my son is going to live in it for a month or more, I figured I'd live in it awhile before making any changes. Thought maybe the 70's look would actually grow on me. Plus, instead of downsizing too drastically, I'd put a few of my favourite things in storage and try this full time, small space living, before I take the full plunge. I am getting offers to house sit 'land' for free, so the dots are lining up.

Your words couldn't have been more timely.
Thanks a million

Christina
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Good day eh! Glad your ducks are lining up in a row. If and when you're ready to remodel your trailer save everything you remove to use as patterns for what ever you're going to replace it with. I'd say use wood if that is the look you're wanting, the weight difference for a trailer is not going to all that much. In fact when I remodel mine, I'm staying with wood but using thicker and stronger material. If I add a hundred pounds in the process, I'll not even notice it when pulling with my truck. What are you using as a tow vehicle?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
I figured the weight difference wouldn't be tragic, since my intent was to park for longer periods, and not be mobile all the time. I did re-evaluted the idea of granite top. Saw that generate some shock on other threads. I have taken another piece of advice from the forums, and that was to wait until I had my airstream before I got the tow. So, now, eventually looking for an older 3/4 tonne - hopefully red, had to say that last part. Make & Model, doesn't really matter, but has to be red! Actually my daughter is selling a 2004 1 ton V10 Ford, but that may be more than I need right now. Would rather spend time and money on the trailer.
Christina