Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Wannabe decides doesn't wannabe

Well Folks,

I'm kinda sad because I was fairly excited about getting a airstream and talking off & seeing this beautiful country . But after looking over the RV parks-top picks-on RVers online, it just seems to me awfully expensive to be jammed up against other people with trailers everywhere , bands playing until 11pm, kids running around, etc. Can you really go anywhere anymore during peak season and have privacy in an RV park ? Seems the time to go was back in the 50's, but now ? It seems like the average space between your trailer & the next one is about the size of a picnic table ! Just not for me.
levi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Who said you have to park in big private RV parks. Smaller state and federal parks as well as just finding a nice spot somewhere might be more of your likeing. Airstreams come with water tanks, holding tanks and batteries. I say, use them!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It's too bad you have decided it's not for you based on RVer's online's assessment of their "top picks"! Their top picks are based on criteria that doesn't appeal to many of us Airstreamers...there are LOTS of places to go get away from it all, small campgrounds, State & National Parks, boondocking...

"RV Parks" are not all there is...we rarely stay at them, there are many better options in my opinion.

I hope you reconsider ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
RV'ing isn't for everyone and Airstreaming isn't for every RV'er. I hope you recognize that not everyone's taste run along the lines of Conde' Naste either.

We have stayed at RV resorts and state parks and had good experiences at both. So far we haven't had the kind of experiences you have described, yet. At least nothing that isn't cured when we go to bed and close the Airstream door (we don't hear the things you described when we do). They are well insulated.

Good luck with your decision and future vacation plans.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jerome , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi2
Well Folks,

I'm kinda sad because I was fairly excited about getting a airstream and talking off & seeing this beautiful country . But after looking over the RV parks-top picks-on RVers online, it just seems to me awfully expensive to be jammed up against other people with trailers everywhere , bands playing until 11pm, kids running around, etc. Can you really go anywhere anymore during peak season and have privacy in an RV park ? Seems the time to go was back in the 50's, but now ? It seems like the average space between your trailer & the next one is about the size of a picnic table ! Just not for me.
Check out Cascade Lake. Over near Brevard. My brother lives down that way and we have camped there while visiting him. Absolutely beautiful. Go in early spring or late fall. You will have most of the park to yourself.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
It's too bad you have decided it's not for you based on RVer's online's assessment of their "top picks"! Their top picks are based on criteria that doesn't appeal to many of us Airstreamers...there are LOTS of places to go get away from it all, small campgrounds, State & National Parks, boondocking...

"RV Parks" are not all there is...we rarely stay at them, there are many better options in my opinion.

I hope you reconsider ~

Shari

Hi Shari & all you other friendly people ,

I was hoping to get replies like this, and maybe I will reconsider . I am leaving my job soon & am looking for something fun to do full time . I just want to travel around, see this country in peace & quiet with no crowds. Maybe boondocking is the way to go . I'm just inexperienced because all I have been doing for the last 30 years is working at my job . Boondocking seems harder than just "hooking up", plus I do hear the Army Corps of Engineers camps have hook-ups, but are crowded at times. So I'll keeps my options open. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Echo

I echo the other posts to this thread. I mostly stay in parks that are operated by the Feds ( Corps of Engineers are the best }, States, Countys, and towns. The parks are great and people who use them are generally well behaving. Many are in beautiful settings. Many of the small towns offer free camping in their city parks. It takes a little research prior to your trip. Most of the information is avalible on the web.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I stayed at Heber Springs park 2 weeks ago for 5 days on beautiful Greers Ferry Lake and had no one on either side of me for 3 days...

What a wonderful time!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Boondocking is the way to go! Especially if you are on the move every 3-4 days...if you use your water & lights wisely, you should be able to go for several days w/o hook-ups or neighbors. There are dump stations & water fills at just about every truck stop and driving around charges up your batteries...so when you move, fill up the tanks, dump the others and go on to the next spot. If you want more facilities, check into a campground once a week or so ~

Sounds like nothing is tying you down to say where/when you go...I'm jealous! Footloose & fancy free ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hey, come to Oklahoma, almost any time and find lots of space to be alone. Lake Eufaula has over 800 miles of shoreline, and if everyone in every town surrounding the lake showed up at the same time, there still wouldn't be a crowd. I don't like crowded, touristy places myself, but you can just stay away from them and enjoy this great country. If you are fortunate you will meet lots of folks who think just as you do. Oh yes, most of the campgrounds around our lake have full hook-up, and nice bathrooms with showers. Lots of trees too.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If you buy an Airstream, be sure and post and let us know. BTW, a bunch of us are getting together in the fall at Hiawasee, GA at the North Georgia Fairgrounds for an informal forum rally. Why don't you cross the mountains and join us for the day. You can read all about it at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288/falluminum-north-georgia-mountains-32035.html.

You'll see lots, and I do mean lots, of different Airstreams from new to vintage and get an idea of what there is to offer at the tour of homes right after lunch. You'll meet the kind of folks that are attracted to Airstreams (the nicest kind of folks there is) and you will be welcomed to join our pot-luck dinner that evening.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have travelled by road from California to Virginia and points in between. Much of it camping in the trailer. There is so much to see and do, your choices are endless in terms of what kind of scenery you like, what kind of camping experience you want.
I have never had the loud neighbors that you describe with one exception. About 20 years ago we camped at lake Havasu during spring break, we didn't know better at the time.
If that is the only thing keeping you from it, I would urge you to reconsider. Buy used. If you get an OK deal, use it for a while. If you still don't want to camp/travel, sell it. No money lost.
Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
If you buy an Airstream, be sure and post and let us know. BTW, a bunch of us are getting together in the fall at Hiawasee, GA at the North Georgia Fairgrounds for an informal forum rally. Why don't you cross the mountains and join us for the day. You can read all about it at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288/falluminum-north-georgia-mountains-32035.html.

You'll see lots, and I do mean lots, of different Airstreams from new to vintage and get an idea of what there is to offer at the tour of homes right after lunch. You'll meet the kind of folks that are attracted to Airstreams (the nicest kind of folks there is) and you will be welcomed to join our pot-luck dinner that evening.
OK, We're coming. My daughter works at John C. Cambell Folk School, so we'll stay in Brasstown, NC with her & come over for lunch & the home show. Many thanks. Oct 26th it is then..............
Old 08-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi2
OK, We're coming. My daughter works at John C. Cambell Folk School, so we'll stay in Brasstown, NC with her & come over for lunch & the home show. Many thanks. Oct 26th it is then..............
That sounds like the perfect plan for you. Remember, many members have Courtesy Parking too.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I used to live in Mills River - just down the road from you. The first Airstream I ever saw was at the North Mills River Campground (end of North mills river road) off 191. I was only 11 but that cool egg shaped trailer just looked totally interesting to me, I figured maybe it sprouted from the pine needles like a giant, shiny puff ball.

There are loads of off-the beaten path places to camp. Consider the hunt for those places part of the adventure.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Adirondack

Come to N.Y.<> We have the largest State Park in the Country!!!!!

If you don't know where your going<> Any road will take you there.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds and Airstreams

levi2,

We have been to 2 forum rallies at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds. We had a blast! In the case of these North GA forum rallies the Airstreams, the people and the general location (on the lake) make the event. Definitely plan to stop by to visit during Falluminum.

However, my opinion of the campsites at the Fairgrounds is they are a bit cramped (many of the sites are not very deep which causes you to park your tow vehicle off the side of the road rather than on your parking pad) and the campground lacks shrubbery/greenery between sites. The spacing between sites is fair - could be better but we've experienced worse.

In our 5 or so years of camping in the Airstream we have generally found the private campgrounds to the busiest/noisiest/most compact. That is a generalization and I'm sure there are exceptions. Private campground owners have to purchase the property, develop the property, pay taxes, etc. so they are trying to get the most bang for the buck so to speak. Many of these campgrounds also have the best amenities such as wi-fi, full hook ups, etc. (also a generalization).

On the other hand our stays at State Parks, City/county parks, Corps of Engineers parks have provided much more greenery between campsites, generally have fewer amenities such as wi-fi, although more and more offer full hookups (some with CATV) but once again this is a generalization. Many of the public parks such as these can be reserved through Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica and the campground maps are pretty accurate. Many times you can choose a spot at the end of the loop so you only have one neighbor and you can look for sites that a reasonable space between sites. We try to avoid campsites near the bathrooms, parking lots, boat ramps, and other high traffic areas, if possible.

We have not boondocked although we have "practiced" by using our fresh water tank to see how long we can last on our own. Next we have to try living off the batteries. I'm sure boondocking will allow you to visit some very remote areas particularly Bureau of Land Management out west.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, i don't know about you, but It didn't seem too crowded the last time we went to this place:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000683.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	42653  
Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It's a commitment. I guess not every wannabe is a gointobe.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
We got our Airstream about 16 months ago and loved it ever since. We met many new friends at various forum rallies, and were able to travel with leisure in the comfort of our own "home" along with our dear feline companion (btw, who thinks, that the Airstream is her vacation home).

A week after we picked up our new AS, we took our 45 days maiden voyage from southern California to Florida, then head north along the eastern coast to Virginia before we headed west through the Great lake and many beautiful places. 9000+miles and 20+campgrounds/parks later, we were living in our dream.

No reservation were made, and we were able to find campgrounds at local state parks, city parks, private RV parks at our finger tips and many were in a gorgeous natural settings with no crowd of any kind like you had learned. (Of course, it was May and June when we did the trip).

So with that said, I hope you find this forum as a helpful tool for you and most of us are happy to assist you to fulfill the dream of living free and experience the great country we live in.

=^^=cat