Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 AM   #101
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I just "upgraded" my factory GPS in my 2015 Silverado. I think for the $150 I got a few new restaurants and gas stations. The life cycle of all the GPS software seems to be in maintenance mode, and not back in research and development. So I will be stuck using RV Trip Wizard, RV Parky, Google and others in the campground, mapping out the general route and identifying stops and attractions, then the iPhone and truck GPS while on the road.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
It's been over a year since I've posted here so I figured an update is in order....

Oh well... I'm realizing there is no GPS on the market that works like my brain wants it to work:

So it's been over a year... are there any better solutions?
Short version: No.

Longer version: As a cross-continent solo driver, GPS efficiency is far more important to me than it is to the average user, because I don't have any other means of navigation (other than pulling off the road and doing it manually when a need to change plans arises). There's no spouse sitting in my passenger seat punching buttons on multiple unrelated devices (phone, tablet, GPS) and manually looking stuff up for me. For that reason, I've been searching for ways to make our Garmin MAKE SENSE as a true navigation tool beyond simplistic rote usage.

Generally what I've been told in the context of the Garmin 770 is that the market demand is simply not there right now. Some people do want increased functionality such as what you are describing and there's a huge programming aftermarket that has developed to plug some of those holes for serious users whose situations inspire them to make improvements to their individual devices. But most people don't care about that stuff, and so the manufacturers are simply not offering it.

I told one app developer that people don't yet know what they are missing. Maybe once it starts dawning on them and their appetites for product improvements increase, maybe the GPS manufacturers will step up.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
As a cross-continent solo driver, GPS efficiency is far more important to me than it is to the average user, because I don't have any other means of navigation (other than pulling off the road and doing it manually when a need to change plans arises). There's no spouse sitting in my passenger seat punching buttons on multiple unrelated devices (phone, tablet, GPS) and manually looking stuff up for me. For that reason, I've been searching for ways to make our Garmin MAKE SENSE as a true navigation tool beyond simplistic rote usage.

Generally what I've been told in the context of the Garmin 770 is that the market demand is simply not there right now.
I'm with you 100%. Also a solo driver who hates to pull over to consult a map.
I don't know anyone who doesn't own a GPS. No one says, "I'd get one if it did this." Also the cost of the Garmin 770 kept me away for a long time (I had a nice smaller unit), but the wireless backup camera plus the 7" screen and finding one "Factory refurb" for $249 made the deal. Other than the box saying "refurbished unit" it was new in every way, down to the twist ties on the wires.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
I had to ask. Where did you find the "Factory Refurb" Garmin 770?
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
I used "The GPS Store".
I think they're in N. Carolina, but they have gobs of stuff.
I've bought my previous Garmin from them, and accessories like cases. So one day I checked their web site and it said they were expecting some refurbished 770's on a certain date. They came in and I bought one. I've always received good service from the GPS store.
I just looked and there's none right now.
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Truck-RV-GPS-C491.aspx
Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I wish there was a way (there probably is, I just don’t know it) to turn OFF the “make a U-turn” option.
I suspect it varies depending on the unit. But there's a whole section of preferences.

Look under Settings > Navigation

or it could be under some other area depending on your GPS. But you can turn off or on things like Toll Roads, Minor Roads, U-Turns, etc.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
Also try:

https://www.gpscity.com/gps-receiver...t=trucking+gps

I have bought quite a bit from them and found their prices inline or better than most. They do have the 770 quite a bit cheaper than than The GPS Store.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #108
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
https://www.gpsnation.com/refurbishe...770-lmthd.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...ished/46053846

https://greatoffersmall.com/ip/Refur...dates/46053846
WBCCI #6679
Old 07-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I too travel solo. I look every year to see if somebody; heck anybody, has come up with a GPS that's worth the high prices they cost.

NO GPS unit is perfect. The two Rand McNally units I've bought (standalone 7710RVND and the 720 which was preinstalled in my RV) have let me down in areas I am very familiar with. That means I cannot really trust them in areas I'm not familiar with. Copilot Truck doesn't let RVers set parameters they need and, the Copilot RV App can't handle LARGE RVs. Years ago, I loved theTomTom car GPS. I believe TomTom has released an RV App but, if they have, I have no familiarity with it so can't comment on how well it works for RVers. Last year, TomTom announced they were ending support for long time iOS (iPhone/iPad) users. If I remember correctly, the TomTom APP was originally $150!

Every GPS unit should come with a large tube of K-Y Jelly
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I posted some time ago about the three GPS systems I used. I have an update at least on a few things.
I got a newer truck and moved to a different part of the state, a part where I used to camp. I haven't been camping as we have been busy getting settled but I will share that the built-in GPS in the F150 is only somewhat helpful. It has led me astray several times in Jacksonville, FL. Taking me to the wrong place- "you have arrived" and there is nothing there! The cell phone Apple Maps/Google maps has worked most times and has newer places programmed into the system. (my truck map BTW, is recently updated)
Copilot RV is not bad. I still have yet to go anywhere much to test it but I am surprised at the post NY24 that you shared that "the Copilot RV App can't handle LARGE RVs." What size? It let me put in my Airstream parameters. They seem to keep the program up to date. I would love to hear someones experience with it. It is also cheaper than that Tom Tom!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
I too travel solo. I look every year to see if somebody; heck anybody, has come up with a GPS that's worth the high prices they cost.
It depends.
I don't know how I'd get most places WITHOUT a GPS.
Remember when you could ask directions at a gas station and the guy knew? Not any more.

I went with the RV 770 by Garmin. It does most things better than my old Garmin 1490. Some things that used to be easy are now hard. Like entering your current location as a favorite. I also hate the clutter of "Service" icons that cover the screen and you can't delete them. (I'll bet Garmin sold the ads.)
But it does a lot of things very well. It doesn't seem quirky, and got me where I wanted to go. The 7" screen is a pleasure.

Don't count on the data base to find a "Mobil gas" station, it's hit or miss. I'd call it 50-50. You're better off trusting the highway signs.

Plus, I added the BC-30 rear camera and it functions as expected. Good for backing, or watching something behind you. The resolution is not photo quality.

There's a lot of computing power in that tiny box. Speed limits are accurate, it warns of hills and sharp turns, and the maps seem accurate.

BTW, the RV 770 is different than the Desl 770. I found mine as a refurb for $249 at the GPS store.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #112
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Knowing the challenges of my 2015 Silverado dash GPS, one tactic that has helped me immeasurably is to preview the route on Google maps, both map and satellite (earth) view the night before. More than once, the lady in the dashboard has tried to lead me astray, but I knew her heart was not pure. Trust, but verify.
WBCCI #6679
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we bought the Garmin 750. just a month later the 770 came out

we still love the 750 plus the great backup camera
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #114
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'm resurrecting this thread to add some new information.

In the last few months we purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra. The infotainment software built into the dash utilizes Apple CarPlay (as well as Android Auto). We have Apple phones so CarPlay is the interface we use.

I had no idea how handy this software would be! With CarPlay we can access Apple Maps or Google Maps and have it displayed on the infotainment as well as providing turn-by-turn voice prompts. This is a big step in the right direction for our travels.

There are still some limitations and I will continue to try to work through these (in no particular order):

- Apple and Google continue to "take short cuts" when traveling down the road and the software algorithm finds a slightly shorter distance from A to B and it will direct you down some narrow side-street in order to save 1/4 mile at the expense of forcing you to make a left hand turn across four lanes of traffic!

- I still can't tell the map the route I want to take. At best, I have to choose the lesser of evils with the two or three proposed routes the software suggests.

- Google Maps allows me to enter several points that I want to stop between A and B and they can be re-ordered if needed. This is the best method I've found for overcoming the limitation mentioned in the previous bullet. I have not found a similar feature on Apple Maps that allows me to enter intermediate points or allows me to reorder the sequence of points.

- I don't know yet what happens when the cell phone has no coverage. Will the built-in GPS feature allow the map to be updated as we travel down the road in a remote area of Wyoming for example? Or will I have to get out the Garmin (a real GPS) to find my way.

- Etc., etc.

CarPlay (and presumably Android Auto) are very useful to us because they allow us to use the very familiar cell phone features/interface rather than be encumbered by the very unfamiliar Garmin features/interface. However, there are still questions to be answered and time will tell whether this is the ultimate answer for our use.

Any comments regarding CarPlay? or Android Auto?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Any comments regarding CarPlay? or Android Auto?
We've been using CarPlay almost exclusively in our 2017 Sierra for the past 2 years, and I agree that it's very useful. I will sometimes zoom in on the maps and verify the route to avoid any silly detours, and you can sometimes drag the route to change it if you don't like one of the 3 it proposes.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
- Apple and Google continue to "take short cuts" when traveling down the road and the software algorithm finds a slightly shorter distance from A to B and it will direct you down some narrow side-street in order to save 1/4 mile at the expense of forcing you to make a left hand turn across four lanes of traffic!...
In fact, it does this to such an absurd degree that I typically have my husband "fly the route" on his phone screen ahead of the trip to ensure that there no such traps have been inserted.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
Garmin chips

This is an old string. Since it started several companies have come up with topo apps that don't need a cell signal to function. My son played with one of them last hunting season. It was backcountrynavigator.com. Head to head it was just as good as my Garmin hand held. Pricing for these is typically in the SAAS model/subscription & not expensive.

My F150 has mapping but I only use it when I don't have a cell signal. The screen's location takes my eyes too far off the road.

I am using a Garmin 680 for hunting. I use the USA topo chip most of the time. For circumstances when I care about property lines I use specialized Garmin chips that show same. This Garmin could be used for the road too but my iphone is good enough most of the time.
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we bought the Garmin 750. just a month later the 770 came out

we still love the 750 plus the great backup camera
I found the RV770 as a refurbished unit for $269. It looked new except the box said "refurbished".
I too use it for the back up camera, and I certainly appreciate the 7" screen.
What I dislike are the icons for repair garages I can't get rid of. Sometimes there's so many it blocks the map.
Also the database for gas stations is terrible. If I want to find a Shell station, and enter shell in the search, I have a 50-50 chance of actually finding one. You're just as likely to find a "Flashgas" that USED to be a Shell or a Shell station that is boarded up and closed.
Overall, it does more good than bad.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
We fly the route also and take written notes for the next day's travel. That way we know Lacy Street and Hwy 620 are the same turn. The street name sign is small and Hwy sign is large and the GPS only shows the street name sign.

I hate to make the right left right to save 6 inches.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
My eyes hurt from reading this thread and to say thanks for all the thoughtful insights.

I've been struggling with Navigation wrt taking the trailer places it does not fit or belong. Google, Googlemaps and horse sense has taken me this far.

What I've been trying to avoid is another piece of "stuff" on the dash. That said, WAZE has been the single best thing out there. Pairing that with willingness to look ahead using Google etc. does a good job with not much effort.

Today I took at CoPilot GPS (app) and did some routes using the 14 day trial. Tomorrow I'll take my first run up the east coast. The software correctly routed me around a Propane restricted tunnel so I'm feeling positive. Also, the turn by turn directions appear to work well including sending via Bluetooth to my hearing aides. Yep, modern science it's incredible.
I'll report back, this looks good.
Let's talk about RVtripWizard. I've laid down my money because it seems well organized for finding campgrounds, parks etc. The application seems to fall far short if you want to use it for turn by turn navigation (on screen) please tell me if I'm not seeing something it won't be the first time.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote