RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Let's talk about RVtripWizard. I've laid down my money because it seems well organized for finding campgrounds, parks etc. The application seems to fall far short if you want to use it for turn by turn navigation (on screen) please tell me if I'm not seeing something it won't be the first time.
Agreed. I use RVTripWizard along with Google Maps, ThousandTrails, HarvestHost and Escapee Maps (lol) for trip planning only. Actual routing is with indash GPS.
Disappointed with so many dated campground reviews in RVTripWizard. Cannot depend on comments from 2015.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Today I took at CoPilot GPS (app) and did some routes using the 14 day trial. Tomorrow I'll take my first run up the east coast. The software correctly routed me around a Propane restricted tunnel so I'm feeling positive. Also, the turn by turn directions appear to work well including sending via Bluetooth to my hearing aides. Yep, modern science it's incredible.
I'll report back, this looks good.
Though I have limited experience with CoPilot, it has worked for me and I like that it is an app.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Though I have limited experience with CoPilot, it has worked for me and I like that it is an app.
I'm half way thru my trip on the East Coast using CoPilot. The GPS turn by turn and bluetooth is very good. Day of...it did correctly route me around a propane restricted tunnel.

There are some features I'm just starting to get used to like tapping the right hand progress bar to see if there are traffic delays.

The app lost GPS lock at some point however it is a simple matter to kill the app (ios = double tap home button and swipe the app up) and restart. The app asks if you wish to continue the route and all is good.
Somebody please convince WAZE that truckers and RV would pay into the system if they would just include height/weight/restrictions into the algorythm. Because WAZE crowdsources their data it has no equal when it comes to real time traffic/accidents/LE etc. LOL I'm no complaining
CoPilot is leading the pack thus far.
That said, I'm inclined to do my work and research restrictions ahead of travel and just use WAZE. This trip will prove me one way or the other!
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #124
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 and it came with CarPlay and Android Auto. I had no idea how much that would change my use of GPS features when traveling. I have an iPhone so CarPlay allows the phone map to display on the infotainment screen in the truck and uses the vehicle audio system to give turn-by-turn instructions. This has been a very useful feature for us. I didn't specifically want the upgraded infotainment system but this truck came with it and CarPlay has proven to be very helpful.

I still don't like the mapping systems (even on smart phones) for all the reasons I've mentioned previously - erroneous directions, dirt roads, alleys, wrong turns, etc., etc. but at least now I can use the same device for my day-to-day mapping needs while planning a route as well as while I'm driving.

I've all but given up on the Garmin GPS. It has many features, such as interfacing with a computer, that I don't currently use. I do like the fact that it is true GPS and will work in areas that don't have cell phone coverage. I will keep the unit, guess I need to charge its battery periodically, for those limited times when I am off the grid.

GPS systems have room for improvement and I will continue to ask questions and try new devices and methods from time to time. For now I'm going with a smart phone and CarPlay / Anroid Auto. Try it, you may like it.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
I used both carplay and android auto, they are hands down the best nav system interfaces for Google maps, Apple Maps, and Waze that get projected up on the display in the vehicle.

The real edge to Google or Maps is the real time traffic......that in itself is the hearts blood of the system.

In one example just using it on my daily route, it saved me 1.5 hours in traffic (my ride home is 55 minutes) because of a massive multi tractor trailer rollover event. That type of telemetry data that is provided for basically free is amazing.

Obviously the down side is no internet connection makes finding things difficult.......but would also like to mention that Google allows "offline map caching" for major areas where cell data or signal is small or non existent. The maps are downloaded to your phone and cached for 30 days of areas that you can select and it will use the cached maps if there is not cell data for looking things up.

Seems like a win to me.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote