Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #281
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Bottom line was that they needed me to bring the M/H to the DMV for VIN verification!
I'm going to pick up my Argosy from the garage in Santa Fe coming Monday.

I need to show it at the DMV for VIN verification, ( as it's an out-of-state vehicle, )
in order to get the New Mexico tags.
The old tags have expired.
( I do have insurrance on it )
So how can I drive it to the DMV ?
Is there some sort of system with temporary tags that I
can run it on or ???
Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Temporary tags are usually easily available...not sure about NM tags...I got my CO tags by mail, by request, but we didn't have discharge requirements for exhaust...check with Howard with 4CU, as he is a NM location, and is knowledgeable in many areas...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #283
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
...check with Howard with 4CU....
Is "4CU" his user-name here...or ?
Did a search. Apparently no "4CU" or "4 CU"...???
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #284
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
In California, there are 2 types of Temp tag...
A 1 day moving permit, usually used for exactly what you need, or to go to smog etc.
A 30 day tag, to get what you need done.
I would try to get the 30 day, and in California, thats what I got when I brought in my M/H from Kansas.
I would see what you can get online, or call them. Otherwise you have the "Joy" of hanging out at the DMV for 2 days of your trip... not a heap of fun!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #285
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Octane...
Couple of fun facts for you...

How do I obtain a New Mexico vehicle title, registration and license plate?
Take the following documentation to any MVD Field Office:
- The current title or other ownership document(s) for the vehicle;
- The vehicle’s current odometer reading;
- Proof of identity and two proofs of New Mexico residency
- Proof of Identity - No SSN
- Proof of insurance, including policy number and insurance company name
In addition, a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection is required for every vehicle coming to New Mexico from another state. The VIN inspection is usually done by a MVD agent at the MVD Field Office. However, not all Field Offices perform VIN inspections, and some require an advance appointment. It is recommended that the customer call ahead to inquire about VIN inspection availability and scheduling at:
1-888-MVD-INFO or 1-888-683-4636

Emission Testing

Does New Mexico require emissions testing?
Emission Testing is required only in Bernalillo County. Residents of the Bernalillo County and others who commute into Bernalillo County 60 or more days per year are required to have their vehicles tested and to provide proof that the vehicles have passed an emissions inspection test. These tests are available throughout Bernalillo County at certified "Air Care" stations.

Found that here...

Motor Vehicles FAQ
Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #286
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Thanks a lot Keyair !!!

Yes, I did know about the requirements.
My friend who lives there will register it
with both of us on the title
as I have no NM recidense.

What I didn't know was that some offices required
an advance appointment.
Better check that out.

Thanks man !
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #287
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Glad that helped!
I was gonna ask about your Licence, as I have been there, as a Non Resident!
Good you have someone to help you with that!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
4cu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Thanks !

Is "4CU" his user-name here...or ?
Did a search. Apparently no "4CU" or "4 CU"...???

4CU...Four Corners Unit...WBCC!...Howard is our treasurer
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #289
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Sorry, I'm the new guy here:
I haven't a clue what Four Corners Unit / WBCC is.

Thanks anyway, I think my friend in Santa Fe
will work it out.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #290
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
WBCCI-Wally Byam Caravan Club International...An Airstream(OK, THE Airstream group)...4CU is one of the branches...our group seems to focus on camping, feeding, and friendship...most everyone has a pet or two or three, and everyone has an extra lawn chair...m
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #291
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I knew what WBCC was, but the 4cu bit had me puzzled, that for the info..

I know that this thread is supposted to be about my Airstream, but I have a lot of stuff ongoing, and a list of priorities to get thru before I get a straight shot at it!
My Jeep 5.9 is all ready for the family to arrive from England... Sister arrives today, for 2 weeks.
Parents arrive in November, and I am planning to surprise them with an Airstream trip. So between mid August, and November I am planning a solid push, but have a few jobs to get done...

Last week we got rid of an old project... one of the kids had a 1991 Ford Taurus Wagon... Junked!

Yesterday, it was TLC time on old faithful, my 1984 190D.
I bought it for a bargain $550 18 months ago, and the 35mpg everywhere is wonderful, but its slow, and the A/C is not working.
After being loaned out to 2 teenage boys, it needed some servicing.
It had a wierd shimmy at 65ish, a brake wear warning lamp, no parking brake(one of the boys drove with it on), and it was running hot.

Here she is as I got her with 165k miles, now has 195k.

The front brake rotors were toast, so worn they had a 1/8" lip on the outside edge, that had cut thru the brake warning sensor, yet the pads were still ok. Relaced Rotors and pads.
Rear brakes were fine, but the parking brake cable was stretched out.
The shimmy was next... found a worn steering linkage, so that is on order, Replaced all 4 shocks with some Bilstien HD's my son took off his Mercedes, and although I knew all the tires were almost done, this tire was in bad shape... Scary!

Money is tight, the 14" Mercedes wheels and tires are ugly, so I had a brainstorm... before I took the Ford Taurus to the JY, I took off the 17" Alloys and put the steels back on..

A trip to my storage, and a test fit, and all looked pretty good..
A set of Hubcentric rings, and some PCD varience bolts(Wheels were 114.3 PCD, and Mercedes is 112)

Not perfect either in look or fit... the tires are 225/50 17, and I think 205/40 would be best!
No fouling so far tho, so I will live with it!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
QUOTE I know that this thread is supposted to be about my Airstream, but I have a lot of stuff ongoing, and a list of priorities to get thru before I get a straight shot at it!UNQUOTE

One of the great things about this forum is it takes sidetrips to places we didn't know about til someone else put us there...and here we are...write on, bud, yer not alone, and, actually, you never have been. m
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #293
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Mike!
Just didnt want people rolling their eyes when I dont post Airstream stuff!

Once it starts, you may see this thread glowing hot!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I have learned more from the forums than I will ever remember, but all I have to do to remedy that is try to recall the reference...glow on...m
Old 08-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Maybe its just me....
Yesterday morning, at the request of our Guests, I took them down to show them my Airstream.
They liked it... even if they said... "Its gonna be sweet when its done!"
After that we were out on a cruise around and I suggested we went down to the local RV dealerships, that are clustered together at a place called "Travel Land", just off I5.
We spent a couple of hours looking at a bunch of them, from Campers to mega Motorhomes...
Now, I just wanted to share my thoughts/overview...

Campers, trailers... caravans, as they call them where I come from...
Nice, cheap way to camp... but towing one is a pain... You are stuck in your truck, cant use the ameneties until you stop. Been there done that..
Class C's Great Value for money.. if you can say that about a $50 to 90k Snail Shell, Tacked on a Van Cab... One we looked at was 31' and slept 10, but they left me feeling underwhelmed, and sitting in the drivers seat was no sense of occasion, nor did I feel like driving 300 miles.
Then we looked at new Class A's.
This was more like it. A sense of space, and class. Being up high, and being part of the traveling experience, rather than the "Below the Hatch, Tank Driver" feel of the Class C. Inside, amazing space, nice fixtures and fittings, and it felt classy, and well built for the $70k to $100k.
What spoiled it was the drivers view... a grafted in plastic steering wheel and Instrument pack from a van... Come on people... not even a leather trimmed wheel from a SUV?
Outside, nice paint and graffics, and good storage... but some of them were downright UGLY... a brace of piggy eyed projector headlamps in a bland front end.... Ughhh.
Of course, when we started to look at the Beaver and Holiday Ramblers, I was bowled over with the sheer sense of Class and Luxury... but for $600k... you SHOULD be!
Stunning, huge x spacious, and amazing inside and out...
But $600k.... I would be freaked out at every rock chip, dirty paw print or leaving it anywhere...

I know I am a little odd, but waking this morning and thinking about it... something struck me..
We looked at maybe 2 or 3 MILLION Dollars worth of RV's...
The sub 100k units were practical, and got the job done, but had no Charisma... as soon as you stepped out, they were as memorable as a Supermarket... In other words, you kinda remembered what was where, but little else.

I stood this morning, at my storage, and looked at my scruffy old Airstream 345, and here is how I felt...
Its long and thin, so has less space, an old chassis, engine, transmission, and is nowhere near as grand in so many ways....
Yet, it OOOZES Class, and is different, and timeless.

For less money than you loose driving one of the new $100k units off the lot, I will have something fun, usable, and practical.
I am not an attention seeker, yet its nice that people actually look at and NOTICE as you drive by!
Today, I am feeling vindicated, no matter how old or unreliable they are...

Now, where is my Toolkit.... I got stuff to fix!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #296
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Maybe its just me....
Yesterday morning, at the request of our Guests, I took them down to show them my Airstream.
They liked it... even if they said... "Its gonna be sweet when its done!"
After that we were out on a cruise around and I suggested we went down to the local RV dealerships, that are clustered together at a place called "Travel Land", just off I5.
We spent a couple of hours looking at a bunch of them, from Campers to mega Motorhomes...
Now, I just wanted to share my thoughts/overview...

Campers, trailers... caravans, as they call them where I come from...
Nice, cheap way to camp... but towing one is a pain... You are stuck in your truck, cant use the ameneties until you stop. Been there done that..
Class C's Great Value for money.. if you can say that about a $50 to 90k Snail Shell, Tacked on a Van Cab... One we looked at was 31' and slept 10, but they left me feeling underwhelmed, and sitting in the drivers seat was no sense of occasion, nor did I feel like driving 300 miles.
Then we looked at new Class A's.
This was more like it. A sense of space, and class. Being up high, and being part of the traveling experience, rather than the "Below the Hatch, Tank Driver" feel of the Class C. Inside, amazing space, nice fixtures and fittings, and it felt classy, and well built for the $70k to $100k.
What spoiled it was the drivers view... a grafted in plastic steering wheel and Instrument pack from a van... Come on people... not even a leather trimmed wheel from a SUV?
Outside, nice paint and graffics, and good storage... but some of them were downright UGLY... a brace of piggy eyed projector headlamps in a bland front end.... Ughhh.
Of course, when we started to look at the Beaver and Holiday Ramblers, I was bowled over with the sheer sense of Class and Luxury... but for $600k... you SHOULD be!
Stunning, huge x spacious, and amazing inside and out...
But $600k.... I would be freaked out at every rock chip, dirty paw print or leaving it anywhere...

I know I am a little odd, but waking this morning and thinking about it... something struck me..
We looked at maybe 2 or 3 MILLION Dollars worth of RV's...
The sub 100k units were practical, and got the job done, but had no Charisma... as soon as you stepped out, they were as memorable as a Supermarket... In other words, you kinda remembered what was where, but little else.

I stood this morning, at my storage, and looked at my scruffy old Airstream 345, and here is how I felt...
Its long and thin, so has less space, an old chassis, engine, transmission, and is nowhere near as grand in so many ways....
Yet, it OOOZES Class, and is different, and timeless.

For less money than you loose driving one of the new $100k units off the lot, I will have something fun, usable, and practical.
I am not an attention seeker, yet its nice that people actually look at and NOTICE as you drive by!
Today, I am feeling vindicated, no matter how old or unreliable they are...

Now, where is my Toolkit.... I got stuff to fix!
About a year ago, I was up in the Redding Calif area where I'm an owner in some recreation property. I keep the Motorhome up there full time. I was outside one day I think sealing up a leak in the windshield between rain and snow storms. One of the few very affluent owners came walking by with his dog. This owner is probably the only one there with a $250k Motorhome. We all gawk with jealousy when he pulls in. He never stays long, just seems to use the property as a way point on his travels.

He stopped as he walked by and we began to chat. I mentioned the he has a beautiful rig over there. He then said, with a big smile on his face "looks like your the one with all the nice toys". He was referring to my Airstream and my Polaris RZRs ATV. We then talked for awhile about the Airstream and the ATV too of course. He was really excited about the Airstream and thought it was very cool.

Now here is a well to do guy with a beautiful $250k rig yet he was admiring the Airstream Motorhome! Wow, that made me feel pretty proud to have my Dad's motorhome and keep the tradition going.

Later on, I was chatting with another owner that knows this guy. He told me all about the troubles this guy has had with his very expensive rig. He passed through about a month earlier. On the way in, a hydraulic hose on the engine broke and well made quite a mess to say the least. He also had trouble getting one on the four slide outs to come out. When he was leaving the next day, he couldn't get one of the awnings (one over every window on the rig) to retract. He has also had plumbing issues.

Well goes to show that us Airstreamer's are not the only ones with cool rigs that have to spend lots of money on to keep them going!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #297
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
And when camping.. how many of those $600k MHs, park rangers, fellow campers come over to talk about your 345 ?

We get ohhhs and ahhhs from them, offers of drinks and food, and many questions... makes it all entertaining.

Even when pulling in, you can notice how many together in groups will all turn and watch in silence as you pass by looking for your site.

We have lots less than $30k in our 345, but we feel like its millions.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Well, I know we are bias a little, but you have to remind yourself what a Classic cost when they were new... and then convert that into todays $$....
I am sure we ARE up there in the several hundred thousand mark..
Bottom line is that our Classics are still admired, and noticed!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I spend most of my time on the front porch of my home without wheels...my rig is right there in front of me, and Kendall Mountain frames the back of it...most of the tourist traffic never notices me, as they are looking at the rig...many notice me after the fact, and come back to inquire...pride is obvious in my replies...yeah, it's cosmetically challenged, but so am I...yesterday I had a fellow ask me how many were still out there...I guestimated 200-300...just a gut feeling from watching the forums...
Our original sales form shows that our rig cost $157,000 in 1989...WOW!!! nope, no slide outs, not as much storage as our previous 1968 Overlander, and a lot of working parts just waiting to fail...BUT, pull into a local Camping World or any other large RV repair place and note how many new big $s rigs are there getting their repairs...one slide out failure in a park, and yer dead in the water...I'll turn sideways walking down the hall any day...Wallyworlds, truck stops, rest areas, casinos, and any other available flat places are homing projects...Always have folks coming up to me asking about it...have had impromptu potlucks and even music fests while parked...We are so lucky...ok, someone pull this soap box...m
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #300
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Well, its been a busy time with my sister here... Disney, Universal Studios, Beach, and Wine Tasting in Temecula!
They leave today... and the emotions are mixed... having a 7 and 3 year old girls in the house was.... Mmm... "Entertaining"
The really good bit is that after much deliberation and a week of talking to Attorneys and looking at things, they have decided to come live in California too!

A little gem happened last week... for some odd reason, DMV decided to send me my new California Title for the Airstream!!!!!
I think that is odd, because they have not verified the VIN yet, which is why they would not give it to me in the first place!
Maybe they will ask me to do that when I get the Tags when it passes smog...
Anyway... I am pleased to have it in my hand!