Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Last One?

Edwalds, the Milwaukee Wisconsin dealer still has a new 2005 30’ bunk. It has chairs instead of the sofa.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Official Bunkhouse production numbers

I have been told by the factory that the following quantities of Safari 30 bunkhouses were built:

2005 models: 72

2006 models: 6

So, 78 units overall ... making them slightly less rare than I thought, but still not highly common. We've got about eight of them represented here on the thread. It would be great to hear from more owners!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
78 units may be a large build (in AS terms), however since they have been discontinued we now own a unique piece of Airstream history. Airstream dealers may have had a hard time selling the remaining inventory however I suspect that when we begin to put our trailers on the resale market (after the children are gone and we need to downsize to a 28) they will be sold quickly and for less depreciation than other more common floor plans.

A question for the masses: Couch or chairs, and why?

My wife wanted a couch installed before we picked up the unit. I thought we should try the chairs out before making a decision. With only one weekend of use before she was put away for the winter, it is too early for us to make a decision. I like the fold out table and storage areas – I don’t like the fact the chairs seem to magically move while on the road.
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Rich, are you sure about the 05 being the earliest model? I am sure we began looking at them as '04 models in the summer of '04 and there was one on the local dealer's lot here in the Atlanta area. I remember because we initially wanted the Amarillo interior and that was discontinued with the '04 model year. Also, we had researched a good long while before deciding to buy and then delayed while waiting for the SE model.

It is possible that we were looking at an early '05 build or at an '04 labeled as an '05 being sold as '05. You know ours is an '06 and it is a 75th anniversary unit and Airstream is still marketing the '07's as 75th anniversary units so there is no telling what they called the first units. I have noticed that unlike the auto industry, Airstream's model year delineation is quite fluid.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
We haven’t had an opportunity to use our 30’ BH yet but the couch will make a quick and easy bed for our teenager. The girls get the bunks. This way the dinette doesn't have to be put up and down. Our last SOB trailer had four bunks up front and slept 8 total (4 bunks dinette, couch, queen bed). The AS 30’ BH has the highest sleeping capacity of any (6 comfortably with the couch, 2 bunks, dinette, queen bed). Unfortunately, I think new AS’s are financially out of reach for most family campers, thus the shortage of family floorplans.

I’ll also take it to the races (F1, Indy) , where I’ve had up to eight sleeping in my previous SOB.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
I have been told by the factory that the following quantities of Safari 30 bunkhouses were built:

2005 models: 72

2006 models: 6
This is good info thank you.. Interesting how they stopped the run cold in 2006. Minnie's Mate what is your build date? Rich what is your build date? And others?.. I'm curious to see if there is groupings of problems based upon build dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis

We have the chairs and I really like them. They are relatively comfortable and the extra table is very handy. You can have 6 adults eating dinner together and everyone has a comfortable seat. I enjoy cooking in the galley the layout works well for a small space. The extra table and seating allows you to invite others over to eat and drink wine . We've found it provides a little more flexibility for our needs. When our second child is born I'll likely leave the chairs at home and put his portable crib in its place.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
We wanted the sofa because we are big movie buffs and knew that when it rained we would want to be inside watching a movie. I have a bad back and I knew the chairs would not be comfortable for very long at a time. With two kids, we figured we could all pile up on the sofa in a more lounging way, at least while the kids were small, and watch TV.

Even with our oldest being 9, almost 10, he will sit at the dinette most of the time and the rest of us will pile up on the sofa. When the kids have gone to bed, my wife and I will cuddle on the sofa while watching TV when not watching from bed. We couldn't do this with the two chairs.

We have a "stick" type vacuum (actually the first small silver up-right died during the Can Opener Rally and we had to replace it with a stick vac) and my wife uses it a lot. It and the broom fit nicely under the sofa and is easily accessed via the front panel...the one that occasionally falls down thanks to the latch that sticks.

The one downside I see to the sofa is that there might have been a corner next to the refrigerator behind one of the chairs to place a trash can. There is no room for one anywhere near the kitchen so we have a stainless steel one just inside the door. I don't like it being the first thing you see when you open the door, but that's the only place we could think to put one of any size. We did get a half-round one to go with the Airstream's curves, though, and that makes it a little easier to get around.

Our build date was 01/06. Some time ago there was a theory that units built in the dead of winter when the demand was low and factory floor could take more time to assemble would have a fewer number of problems and those built in the spring and early summer and then again in the fall (gearing up for RV shows) would have more problems because of hastily put together trailers. I don't know if there is any correlation, but it kind of makes sense.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Hey Rich, it might be nice to see an article in Airstream Life on the late, great 30' Safari. What do you think? Maybe we could track down some more of those other of the 78 owners for interviews if you put out a call for input in a small blurb in AL.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Ours is a 2005 model and build date is 2/05.

Minnie's Mate, it is possible you saw 2005 models in the summer of 04. Airstream's model year changeover is in April, which is typical for the RV industry. As far as I know there were no Safari bunkhouses manufactured for the 2004 model year. But I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one.

I've been thinking about buying a "75th Anniversary" plaque for our trailer! I think they look cool.

Couches versus chairs: We have the chairs. Or I should say, "chair" singular. When we got into the trailer we immediately decided that two chairs were more than we needed. We preferred the extra floor space, so we left one behind.

The chair is comfortable but about 1-2" too low to comfortably use the fold-out credenza with a laptop. Also, the chair is large and I find it sticks into the aisle an inch or two more than I would prefer. I've been investigating alternate chairs but haven't yet found anything smaller that is the right height and reasonably comfortable.

I bought a pair of Leg-O-Matics on eBay last week and we are trying those out now. They fold up into practically nothing, but aren't anywhere near as comfy as the factory armchair.

Overall I prefer the chair/credenza arrangement because it allowed us to add more counter space. See this post for details and pictures. But I can see the clear advantage of the couch for watching movies. We squeezed seven people in here last week to watch a movie and it was quite a production. With the couch it would have been a lot easier. Also our chair moves "magically" during towing too and if we have a panic stop it ends up blocking the front bedroom door!

As far as the article idea -- good thought! "Airstream's only true two-bedroom trailer". I'll start gathering names of owners and see if we can whip something together. It really is a unique trailer, and I am constantly surprised by the number of people who see ours and say, "Wow, I never knew they made a trailer like this!"

Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
My build date...

I have what is titled as an 05, however it was manufactured in 6/04. I still have a 04 brochure and it does not list the floorplan. The thirty was the "featured" unit in the Safari section of the 05 brochure.

I would be curious as to how many that were produced were not the LS package, thus having the other style taillights. I have only seen one and it had the crank jack!!

On another note, when I was shopping for the unit my local dealer discussed with the factory about the deleting of the corner hanging cabinets in the forward bedroom and adding the panoramic window. The agreed to do it for 1600.00 (at the time of order of course). I decided to wait, because the SE model was supposed to be up and coming. Bummer, because it would have been unique.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #31
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
On another note, when I was shopping for the unit my local dealer discussed with the factory about the deleting of the corner hanging cabinets in the forward bedroom and adding the panoramic window. The agreed to do it for 1600.00 (at the time of order of course). I decided to wait, because the SE model was supposed to be up and coming. Bummer, because it would have been unique.
I called the factory and asked about having the International/Classic style windows installed as a one-off custom installation. I told them I had read about the guitar player for one of the big-league heavy metal bands ordering a custom Safari with the bare metal walls like the Internationals and the Safari interior wood-work. They said no to my request. The reason they gave was that they wanted to keep the Safari line separate from the International/Classic lines to protect those customers investment...this was about three-four months before I saw the first 25' FB SE on the forums. I often wondered if they stole my idea or if they just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag about the upcoming SE trim. That's when I started my dialog about the 30' SE.

I would have given up the two corner closets for a front wrap window but they had said no to that also when I asked on the phone. Maybe this type of request has to come through a dealer that is interested in making custom orders and not just getting the units on their lots moved. The closets are so small we really don't use them for much and all of the clothes we pack are polo shirts and short pants that can all be put in the clear plastic bins under the bed so the lack of those two small closets wouldn't have been too much of a loss in exchange for all that extra light. I know for full timers like Rich, it would be a different story.

The sofa does limit mobility when the four of us are in the trailer along with our cocker spaniel. Seems he hasn't learned that the best place for him is under the dinette. The front edge doesn't extend more than a couple of inches at most past the 'fridge cabinet corner. But, I still think given the amount of available space and all of the features that are in the 30' it is a great floor plan. Our total accommodations are 8: two in the master queen bed; two on the dinette; two on the sofa; and two in the bunks. We haven't opened the sofa, but I suspect that it would extend all the way to the dinette making it pretty much wall to wall bed in that part of the living area. Although the two beds don't line up side to side. We had only seen pictures of the sofa option before we took delivery of our trailer (I bought sight unseen over the telephone and glad I did) but we knew it was the option we wanted from the get go. The great thing about the 30' is that there were so many options. You could get the sofa or chairs, or you could get the lower single bunk (ours) or the lower queen bunk, and you could get the microwave convection oven or regular oven (too bad you couldn't get both). In theory, you could have got one with the sofa and lower queen and sleep up to 9! Of course, that would be a lot of peeps in a 30' anything.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I called the factory and asked about having the International/Classic style windows installed as a one-off custom installation. I told them I had read about the guitar player for one of the big-league heavy metal bands ordering a custom Safari with the bare metal walls like the Internationals and the Safari interior wood-work. They said no to my request. The reason they gave was that they wanted to keep the Safari line separate from the International/Classic lines to protect those customers investment...this was about three-four months before I saw the first 25' FB SE on the forums. I often wondered if they stole my idea or if they just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag about the upcoming SE trim.

I had the same conversation in October of 2003 to see if I could get that on my Safari I had ordered. I too was told no and that the windows were different.....which is true, but again, 3-4 months after I took delivery, out came the SE with the windows...... I felt like you did.

Additionally the 25' CCD has the same window locations as the 25' Safari, so I guess I was asking for the CCD windows and shell with a Safari interior, minus the exposed alum interior of the CCD.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I had the same conversation in October of 2003 to see if I could get that on my Safari I had ordered. I too was told no and that the windows were different.....which is true, but again, 3-4 months after I took delivery, out came the SE with the windows...... I felt like you did.
Maybe we all created the demand for the SE model. Too bad the numbers weren't there for the 30'. In some ways we like the light interior we got from the fuzzy walls, but at the same time with two pre-teen boys and a cocker spaniel puppy, we felt the bare aluminum walls would have stood the test of time better and would have preferred the International's lights. But again, on the other hand, I think the upholstered walls give better sound deadening during rain storms and for sleeping at night.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
The carpeted walls...

I feel the same as you minismate. I kinda have become acustomed to the walls. I have talked to a guy at a campground who had a CCD and he said in the winter he gets condensation in random places on the interior walls. I would imagine it would be a bit cold, and transfer your interior heat to the outside more than the upolstered interior.

What do others tow with? I have a K2500 suburban/6.0liter.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
What do others tow with? I have a K2500 suburban/6.0liter.
'05 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat Power Stroke Diesel with 3.73 rear end. Don't know the Airstream is behind me. I have an Equal-i-zer hitch. I can tow with the cruise set on 75 MPH and steer with one finger (and do on the boring stretches of interstate that are in good condition).

Last time I used the Airstream in October, we arrived at Ft. Wilderness (also our next destination in Feb.) to discover that I had looped the safety chains on the outside of the spring bars (ooops!) and had broken both when I was maneuvering my way out of a fueling station in Valdosta, GA. After I returned home I took it to a local utility box trailer dealer (Trailers for Less) and had new chains welded on. The guy who runs their parts counter and looks to be about 19, but is probably more like mid-twenties, backed it into the service yard to the welding shop for me and took one look at the hitch head and told me it had one too many washers behind the angle adjustment and they would adjust it for me. I hate to be guilty of age discrimination, but I was a little nervous about trusting his judgment but I went along and let him have one of his mechanics take a washer out. Man, what a difference it made. With the correct amount of air in the tow vehicle's tires (an early problem I had) and the adjustments they made to fine tune the hitch set up I don't know that the truck doesn't handle better with the trailer than without! That's hard to believe, but the tongue weight compressing the suspension just a little really smooths the ride and, like I said, I can steer with my index finger draped over the 5:00 position of the steering wheel without any effort at all.

RE: tire pressure. It seems dealers let some of the air out of the tires on 3/4 ton trucks to make them ride a little softer. It improves the ride, but sure de-stabilizes the towing characteristics. I brought the tire pressures up to the max and that eliminated the tendency to wander from side to side in the lane and the feeling of sway I thought I had. Removing a washer from the hitch head further fine tuned the towing that last little bit.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Quote:
I would have given up the two corner closets for a front wrap window but they had said no to that also when I asked on the phone. ... I know for full timers like Rich, it would be a different story.
Yeah, but I wish we could have the front wrap window anyway. The upper half of the closet is good for about a dozen shirts on hangars and not much more. Frankly, I could live without it in exchange for the window but I know Eleanor couldn't. It would be a cool aftermarket mod if anyone gets ambitious...

I even toyed with the idea of "converting" our Safari 30 to a semi-Special Edition by replacing all the windows, but beyond the incredible expense, there would be serious practical issues. An International style window in the bunk area would be impossible to open (blocked by the upper bunk) and one by the entry door would get smashed by the entry door pretty quickly.

Our layout is with no couch but the full bed in back. Our theoretical sleeping capacity is 7. We've had "houseguests" a few times and so we know that sleeping 4 is no big deal in this trailer. Each couple still gets their own bedroom!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I read your blog about the window replacement Rich and had toyed with the idea even earlier about having a dealer do the same to all of our windows. After you gave me the price by e-mail, I decided it was really too much to do all of them. I would have paid the difference between the LS and LS+SE package prices just to get all International/Classic windows when I bought and rolled that price into the financing, but now to pay it out of pocket is more than I can justify to me or the missus or my bank account. But still, I tend to think that is the only major thing I would change if I had the opportunity to do it all over. I really like everything else about the trailer.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Cracks!

Quote:
Our unit has tears in the outer skin at the lower side of the front storage door. (The same as Rich Luhrs that is leaking). Mine appears to have torn from excess flex in the tongue. My local dealer has seen three others torn exactly the same way and the Safari 30 is unique to this storage door/location. The factory has suggested a powdercoated steel plate to be welded to the frame behind the skin, and a new panel installed on the front.
I think we just found this same problem this week. Small diagonal cracks or tears, emanating from both of the bottom corners of the front compartment.

The fix suggested above by the factory would probably work but it involves removing the front bed and part of the floor. That would get into some major hours. So we decided to try a quick solution: stop-drilling the cracks and sealing them against rain with caulk. I can't see that the cracks would cause a structural problem, and they really can't go much further since they are headed down to the edge of the aluminum.

It probably should be noted that these cracks appeared on our trailer after about 34,000 miles of towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherford front crack.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	31057  

Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Ahh-Ha.....exactly...

Rich,

I have exactly 6400 miles on my Safari 30, and the cracks showed up. I first noticed mine after a thorough washing. The repair is a couple of days, they are going to remove the front skin cutting it at the beltline. (Adding Classic beltline trim later), install this "plate" that ties the aluminum frame to the steel frame (powdercoated). This is the recomended fix from the factory that my dealer got.

I have to admit that I am a bit concerned that including Rich's unit, that is 4 safari 30's that have the exact problem. I am not an engineer but to test my theory of "flex" I put a two layer coating of foil tape over the cracks and drove from Houston to Gatlinburg TN. Only half way there found both corners had ripped the foil. It could only rip if it had excessive twisting or flex of the frame up there.

I suggested to the dealer maybe installing a classic style rounded corner access door (or heck maybe eliminate the door). The dealer made the suggestions to the factory, but they said they would not pay for the new door assembly.

I kinda like this Safari Bunkhouse group...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Ok mine is in storage right now..but this makes me want to go look... You can even see how the door frame corners don’t line up on rluhr's. Does your front hatch door stick when it is jacked on level ground?
We need to document these in detail how do we reach out to more 30BH owners?
I'm starting to see unsettling trends here.. that is a major warranty issue.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote