RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #161
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up Repair Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Very nice. Do you have any idea of this repair can be performed by other dealers? I would like to have this done to my bunkhouse but it's unlikely we'll be able to get near PA this year. Instead, I'd like to have a convenient dealer contact the guys who did your repair and see if they will share the technique.
Rich and others who have asked, the door used in my repair is a standard size (49 inches wide ??) trunk door may be correct. I have yet to road test for water leaks or stress but I feel confident with the work that was done.

Airstream Of Western Pa. # 866-925-5928 Manager , Jack.

Rich if you happen to be on I 80 in Pa. be sure and check out Penn wood Airstream Park Limestone,Pa. Exit 64 great park and great people.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #162
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Considering a bunkhouse

My family (dog, two kids, wife and I) are considering a bunkhouse to replace our current 1988 Excella 29'. We like the idea of having a place for the dog and kids to sleep seperate from our living / dining area. Currently, we have to wake them and setup the gaucho before we can sitdown for breakfast.

I like the overall layout but I'm wondering what I give up in exchange for these configuration. Please provide any thoughts.

There are a few things that catch my attention. First, the bunkhouse doesn't have the wrap windows in the front. I like the appearance from the outside as well as the added protection that will prevent minor dings in the aluminium skin. The interior views and opportunities are very evident. Second, I think this package is a standard Safari and not the Special Edition. That means the windows in this unit are not the tradition top hinge windows that are on the other models. They seem to be a bit less interesting, functional, and quality.

Thanks ahead of time for all input. My wife says our current trailer must go before I pickup the bunkhouse. Sometimes letting go is hard...
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
FlyFishInn,

We have one child, 2 big dogs, and sometimes the cat when we travel. Our first trailer was a 1985 25' Sovereign. We too had to wake our son and fold his bed before breakfast. We bought our bunkhouse last year at this time and love it! I am a big window person and wish we had the full tilt windows and wrap arounds in front. We had both on our previous trailer and I do miss them, however, the floor plan and extra space in our bunkhouse make up for it. The bunkhouse is a wide body, not sure what width your current trailer is, but for us it meant an additional 6 inches. It is amazing how much space 6 inches gives you! We also had the wrap around solar shades on our previous trailer, which we don't have now, but we do have the rock guards on the bottom. I'm pretty sure they never actually made a "Special Edition" bunkhouse, so there aren't any bunkhouses out there with the wrap around front windows or full tilt windows. Except for Rich Luhr's and he had one full tilt window installed after living in his trailer for awhile. For us, the loss of the full tilt windows and wrap arounds was worth it for the family friendly floorplan and extra living space. --Sarah
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #164
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sara is correct about the lack of any Special Edition Bunk houses. I tried to custom order one with the top hinged windows and was told no way. I also asked about the 30' bunk in the Special Edition after the 25' Front Bedroom was introduced in the Special Edition and the FACTORY, not any dealer, kept telling me it was coming right up until a few weeks before I found out the entire model had been canceled...still not a "happy camper" about that. Anyway, the awful Hehr windows are the only windows that were ever offered. However, they really aren't that big of a deal unless you boondock a lot and need the ventilation to make up for lack of air conditioning.

We, too, love our 30' Bunk house and, in fact, just returned from a weekend in Chattanooga. Good luck with your search.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
FlyFishInn....

We have 4 girls and we camp comfortably with the bunkhouse. We have amazing storage for up to 2 week trips, cook and relax without feeling cramped. The wrap windows are really the only bummer (of course the AS made windows are missed too).

I saw a guy in Dallas installed the wrap protectors on a Safari 25 that only had the single front window. You really could not tell that it did not have windows behind the protectors and they afforded him skin protection.

If you are interested, I believe David Tidmore up at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford has a bunkhouse in stock still. I think his is a "LS" model with a lower twin/nightstand arrangement as opposed to the queen lower.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #166
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I agree with the above posts. The only thing I'd add is that I think the issue of rock dings above the beltline is a red herring. We've gotten one noticeable ding in that area in 40,000 miles of travel, which I covered with a bullet hole sticker. A full-wrap window protector would cost hundreds of dollars to solve a fairly rare problem.

As you can see, all of us bunkhouse owners really like our trailers. For a family, it's one of the most comfortable rigs Airstream ever made. I'd snag one of the last ones pretty soon, because there aren't many left on dealer lots. Happy travels!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #167
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm going to go back through this thread because we towed ours up to Chattanooga (a little over 150 miles north of our home in metro-Atlanta) this weekend and it rained part of the way. For the first time I discovered the front storage door had leaked on the curb side. Granted the latch keeper had sprung out and was loose so I bent it back in with my fingers. I wish there was a more permanent solution to this issue...maybe I'll find it when I re-read this thread.

Anyway, we had the most "stuff" with us on this trip than ever before and it was just for a two night stay. We were meeting my brother-in-law and he and his family are between camping rigs so they rented a two bedroom cabin at the KOA we all stayed at. We managed to have a 8X19 patio rug, tool chest, tool kit, cordless drill kit, full sized ax, skedge hammer, four adult camp chairs, two children's camp chairs, door mat, and a couple of other small items in the front storage compartment without creating a bulge in the queen bed. We also had a 10X10 free standing awning, two side tables for the grill, portable gas grill, two zero gravity chairs, a floor fan, cocktail table, two razor scooters, set of the large globe awning lights (10 lights) and our regular "stuff". I am truly amazed how much "stuff" we think we need for camping; I'm also amazed at how much stuff we can store in our Airstream. I have told many a person that we don't ruff-it, we Airstream and we live that creed every time the "Changes in Latitudes" leaves the driveway! In fact, the cable was of such poor quality this weekend that I decided to go ahead and order a satellite dish and tripod for our Memorial Day trip to the beach...just in case there is an afternoon thundershower as often is the case in Florida. After all, this state park doesn't have cable and being on an island I can count the bat wing out for decent reception.

Oh, we did have one sewer hose malfunction. Sunday morning as I was draining the black tank, the connector between two sections of hose came apart an spilled about a gallon of black water on the ground before I could ge the valve closed. How embarrassing. The nice family at the site next to ours was having breakfast on their picnic table and let me tell you, it was a short breakfast! I have since learned on this forum that should keep chlorine powder to spread over the mess if this ever happens again. I wonder if oxi-clean would work. Seems like it would be less caustic and safer.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Minis Mate..

Something you may want to look at is the inside portion of the latch arm. Just as 2airishuman has pointed out the metal is very malleable, or soft. I found when I had mine after a couple of "bends" it began to relax by itself and not stay tight. I think maybe a new little latch arm would fix the problem if it were made of better metal. All of the storage doors that I have seen that leak (three units including mine) protrude out on the curb side.

Leaking in the area of this door is something you definately want to take care of. The subfloor is not treated, the bed frame is a MDF material that will swell three times its size if it gets and stays wet. Not to mention the odor of "funk".
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #169
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
Something you may want to look at is the inside portion of the latch arm. Just as 2airishuman has pointed out the metal is very malleable, or soft. I found when I had mine after a couple of "bends" it began to relax by itself and not stay tight. I think maybe a new little latch arm would fix the problem if it were made of better metal. All of the storage doors that I have seen that leak (three units including mine) protrude out on the curb side.

Leaking in the area of this door is something you definately want to take care of. The subfloor is not treated, the bed frame is a MDF material that will swell three times its size if it gets and stays wet. Not to mention the odor of "funk".
This is exactly the issue I had. I bent the latch arm back on both sides as you have described when I discovered the wet carpet inside the storage door. This is the first time I had discovered wet carpet. But it was not the first time I have towed in the rain. I can see where the will loose their memory after a while. Bending them back has definitely made the door fit tighter; it is now difficult to turn the thumb latch from the outside so I know it is snugger than before. Too bad the arms aren't made of a more rigid metal that will hold its shape better. I definitely don't want the funk or floor rot to start in there. If it becomes an issue, I may do as Rich and Brent have suggested and either tile the area under the bed or diamond plate it or some other more water resistant floor covering.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #170
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Next topic. Has anyone removed the single light fixtures over the master bed (queen island bed) and replaced them with the directional halogen light fixtures that were installed over the salon window and bunk beds? If so, can it be done without there being a trace of the original light fixtures showing? I would like to replace them with exact duplicates of the fixtures used elsewhere in the trailer so I need a source, too.

The problem is if either my wife or I want to read in bed, the light form either of the existing fixtures floods the pillow area of the bed and keeps the other spouse awake. With the little spot lights one should be able to direct them to the page and not shed so much light on the other spouse trying to get to sleep.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #171
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Halogens swapped for incandescents

Yes, MM, we did the light swap you described in our Bunkhouse. See this post for details. Very easy to do and it will solve your problem with reading at night.

There will be a few small screw holes and pencil marks left over on the underside of the bedroom overhead cabinet. The pencil marks erase easily, and the screw holes are small enough that I didn't bother doing anything abouut them. They are only visible when you are lying in bed looking straight up.

By the way, on the sewage disaster ... it has either happened to all of us already, or it will happen. In my case, I had a much worse experience ... at least from my point of view!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #172
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
River Forest , Illinois
I’ve got the crack….This last weekend I met up wit a friend who has a Safari Slide out and I was showing him the bunk house and sure enough, as we looked at the front trunk there it was – lower left hand side. My mileage estimate, including Jackson Center to the dealer, is about 465 miles. Oh well, I’ll put it on the winter dealer to do list.
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #173
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Rick.....

Rick, make sure you document the repair with the dealer/factory now and schedule for later. Dont forget to put something over the crack so water does not get in there meanwile.

I bet that 8.1 suburban pulls the BH with no problems. I have the same rig w/6.0 and it even pulls it easy.

Have fun this summer..
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Thanks forum..

I had earlier posted about my 30 BH rear bed (lower queen) not being wide enough for the beds opening. Well, upon my investigation I found that from the factory I got a 19' Bambi mattress, which was from a narrow body trailer. They are sending me a wide mattress which is almost 7" wider!

I wondered why there was a big gap around the bed. I probably would not have gotten this taken care of without input of other owners.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Internet is the answer to EVERYTHING!!!

SSS -

Glad that your reading here in ASF got you to thinking on something that didn't 'feel' right on your AS... There are so many positives that make this forum the terrific entity that it is, your post is yet another. Glad that your dealer is making things right and getting to be another satisfied AS owner. Enjoy the heck out of that coach...!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #176
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
River Forest , Illinois
Quick question for those who have the couch rather than the chairs: What is the distance between the couch and the kitchen counter/dinette? Also, did the factory install any special cabinetry behind the couch or near the door?

Now that we are getting some quality time in the BH, my wife is leaning towards the couch layout. We have not used the small pull up table too often, however I do like the small shelf along the wall for my morning coffee.

Thanks,

Rick
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #177
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
Quick question for those who have the couch rather than the chairs: What is the distance between the couch and the kitchen counter/dinette? Also, did the factory install any special cabinetry behind the couch or near the door?

Now that we are getting some quality time in the BH, my wife is leaning towards the couch layout. We have not used the small pull up table too often, however I do like the small shelf along the wall for my morning coffee.

Thanks,

Rick
Our sofa runs the length of the wall from the 'fridge to the door and extends from the wall the depth of the 'fridge cabinet. It is definately a little cramped when you get all four of us plus a hyper cocker spaniel in there on a rainy day.

There is a drop down panel on the front of the sofa that allows you to store items under the sofa. This is where we keep the broom, stick vac, 12 packs of soft drinks, and several sterilite bins of items. You can also access this area from above by lifting the sofa seat futon style. When opened to a bed, the sofa would extend pretty much to the dinette. We have never opened ours, though so I'm not too sure.

Speaking of beds, my wife has always thought the bed in the master cabin was too uncomfortable and over the Christmas holidays she pinched a nerve in her back. She has complained about the bed every time we have camped since then so before we went on our week long camping trip for the 4th, we had a new inner spring mattress made. It has a pillow top and was made to the dimensions listed in the specification of the Airstream web site. Unfortunately we couldn't get the corners rounded as much as the original mattress and the web site's dimensions were a little long (an approximation apparently) so we have a pretty tight walk way at the foot of the bed...every inch counts in such a small space. But my wife is happy with the new mattress and thinks it sleeps so much better than the factory original. I can't tell that much difference, but as long as she is happy, that is all that matters, right guys! Anyway, we had it made by Verlo. They have an RV division.

I think that is the only thing we have replaced. At least the only thing that hasn't been replaced due to damage.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
What is the distance between the couch and the kitchen counter/dinette? Rick
We have pulled the couch out into the bed configuration when we have an extra person camping with us. It leaves a corridor about, say, a foot and a half wide between the edge of the couch and the dinette/sink cabinet. I've trundled to the bathroom in the middle of the night many a time in this situation, and never tripped over the couch once. It's not at all problematic.

On a totally unrelated subject, we've started a thread detailing our problem with Goodyear Marathon tires separating (tread pulling away from belts) here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ion-34105.html

One of 2airishuman's comments got us to thinking. He mentioned the cracking at the corners of the front storage compartment (which is a problem we had, and had fixed at JC). Is it possible that there's some strange interaction between the dimensions of the trailer affecting flexion of the tongue, and loading of the rear axle? We don't think that this is going on... It was the rear tires that failed, but they had recently been rotated into that position, and the old rear tire that is now on the front curbside hasn't failed, and it was on the rear for a loooong time. But, this is an opportune moment to take a survey, because the age of the tires won't be a factor, since the trailers are only 3 years old at most. Have any of you other bunkhouse owners had a tire fail? If so, which tire position was it? If you had a tire fail, have you also had the front compartment cracking? We'd like this information because we've talked to the NHTSA about the Marathon tires, and any additional insight would be helpful for them to try to figure it out.

Thanks,
Paul and Miriam
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #179
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We haven't had a tire fail and, so far, after about 9,000 miles of towing at interstate speeds, we haven't had the cracks around the front storage compartment. However, I will mention this: I checked the tire pressure for the first time before our last trip and they were all in the 48-50 psi range and I increased the tire pressure in all of them to 65 psi so with the increased stiffness of the tire's side walls I may soon develop the cracks. The soft tire walls may have provided enough cushion to prevent the cracks from forming.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #180
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
We got back from our trip to Yellowstone and South Dakota last weekend. We towed about 3500 miles in the two weeks. Fortunately, everything held together well. I made sure the tire pressure was at 65 psi before we left, to help keep the temperature down. I’ve heard that most trailer tires are either under inflated, have cracked sidewalls, or are bowing out at the face of the tread when they fail. I hadn’t heard of the tread bowing out until this trip, when saw it on someone else’s tires and they had had two failures and were on their way to replace the rest! Since the tires are rated for 65 psi, it shouldn’t hurt the side walls.

As for the couch, my son (15) sleeps on it with it folded out and we can get by easy enough to get to the bathroom at night. I keep a table, ladder and broom under there. We have armrests on ours, which I’m not sure is standard.

The Fishingbridge RV park in Yellowstone was functional, but tight. The sites are extremely close to each other. Since we were there for five nights, it was nice to have the full hookups, though.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote