Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Would this be the same storage compartment door in front that the Safari or CCD models (rear door- front bedroom -with twin beds) would have too or is this limited to the 30' models?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Would this be the same storage compartment door in front that the Safari or CCD models (rear door- front bedroom -with twin beds) would have too or is this limited to the 30' models?
I’m pretty sure the front bedroom 27' (Safari SE and Classic) have a door under the queen bed, like the Safari 30' does, but the door is smaller and has radius corners instead of the rectangular shape (with 90 degree corners) that the 30s have, so the design is different.

I really like the 27’ FB floor plan too. The 30’ BH suits us well with three teens, but the dinette+lounge combo in the 27’ looks nice and I like the kitchen too. The master bedroom in the 27’ and the 30’ are similar, but the 27’ gets the wrap around windows that were never offered on the 30’ BH.

Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Pecuilar Door...

The other thing I have noticed with the BH 30 model is most folks that have a front storage door adjustment or leaking problem, it is primarly the left hand side (facing the door). That is the storage doors are sticking out on the left more than the right.

Anyone else's leaking water? Check closely, You will find that it appears ok, but upon further inspection look at the staples that hold the carpet down to the sub-floor. Are they rusty? You kinda have to put your head inside the compartment.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #104
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The closure brackets are easily adjusted on this door. At one point miner were so tight I could barely get it locked on the curb side so I just bent it out a little with my thumb. If you have a leak, try bending that bracket thingy (technical term here) in a little and see if that will tighten it up enough to seal it. If that doesn't work, you will probably need dealer assistance.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Audio / Video Connections

Well I'm done with the modifications to the AV connections and adding the XM Radio. I've posed the adventure in the appropriate forum.
Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...deo-30284.html
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Weights

what is the towing weights for the 30' Safari Bunks? I'm finding mixed information online.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Wieghts...

The Airstream website has the weights and specs still for the 06 model. If I remember right Unloaded dry wieght is around 6400lbs, and GVWR is something like 8440? Hitch wieght is like 850.

I would be leary towing one with a 1/2 ton.

Oh, I have my pics of the front of my Safari 30 BH repair, looks great! Now to figure out how to post a pic!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #108
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
The sticker on my Safari 30 reports:

6453 dry weight (no water, no propane)
8400 GWRV (max weight)

In practice, when we weigh it, loaded, it runs about 7,100 lbs. hitched to the tow vehicle. That's set up for full-timing, with possessions for three people, office equipment, etc.

As far as the cracking issue, we visited a trusted dealer and they documented the cracks for us in writing, and sent that report to Airstream. We didn't have time or inclination to repair it then. We'll continue to monitor it and get it repaired at our convenience.

That was about 4,000 miles ago and I've noted no changes since. We just got back from Mexico this weekend. I mention this only because it's important to remember that we all bought these things to have fun, so don't let the potential for a pair of 1/2" cracks freak you out & keep you from enjoying your Bunkhouse!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishInn
what is the towing weights for the 30' Safari Bunks? I'm finding mixed information online.
My 2005 brochure indicates: 6215 as the unit base weight (no options or fluids) and 8400 gross vehicle weight and 850 hitch weight.

The actual sticker in my rig reads 6430 unit base weight and 8700 gross vehicle weight. Did AS change to a stronger frame or axels for production? I just ran out back to get the numbers for you. I didn’t have to put on snow boots and trudge through 12+ inches to get there either. Glad spring is here.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Right on Rich...

Well said Rich, You gotsa enjoy your rig/family its what is more important.

I remember when I picked my new BH up last year, and got a rock ding in one of the front segments. I was first bummed, but you know it becomes part of the history.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #111
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Our’s has the bunks and a couch, whereas I think Rich has a bunk over double bed and the chairs. This may explain the base weight difference, but I double checked and my gross weight is definitely listed as 8700.

Rich: I hope you trip to Mexico was wonderful. I am enjoying my first copy of Airstream Life immensely.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Thanks to everyone on my weight question. I thought that was the answer. I have a 1988 29' excella that is listed at a gross weight at 6400 lbs. I tow with a F150 that has a capacity of 9500 lbs (somewhere close.) I've towed in New Mexico Mountains with no problem.

I would like to find a 30' bunk and just considering the vehicle too.

Thanks again everyone.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
I mention this only because it's important to remember that we all bought these things to have fun, so don't let the potential for a pair of 1/2" cracks freak you out & keep you from enjoying your Bunkhouse!
Rich et al,

Checked out my AS in storage a couple of weeks ago.... guess what... got da*n crack also just on one side. I'd like to learn more about what exactly you did on the documentation piece. this is a bad trend... So I'm building a case file. In the mean time the TinCabn is going camping....

Rich if you and the family are hanging around the southwest for a little while….

We are hosting a rally in Tucson the end of the month and would welcome you and the family if you are in the area.

Check out the rally calendar...

Four Corners Camping unit April Fools rally.

safe travels,
Brent
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Here is my repair pics...

I have never posted any pics here on the AS forums, but here is my pics of the repair of the spot in question.

Notice the Classic extruded trim added at the beltline, new front panel below front window minus the access door. My pics of the front end opened up were corruputed on the disk so I cannot get them to open.

I have added gas struts that allow the front bedrooms bed to lift up and access the now unaccessable from outside storage area. I got this idea from the 25 front bedroom design. I am going to install new glassmatt batteries under there, eliminate the current battery box, relocate the spare tire behind the propane bottles w/new holder and install a new Onan 3400 propane genset where the spare is currently. (It fits nice with less hangdown than the current spare.)

I will add pics as the mod is complete.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #115
Sandy Sanders

2005 30' Safari
Green Valley , Arizona
I have a Safari LS 30' BH that was built 7/04, I purchased it new in 11/05 and it is titled as a 2005 model. It now has 7,479 miles and so far has had the usual warranty repairs totaling approximately $1,000. But now I notice that it has two stress cracks (one on each side of lower part of front compartment door similar to pics that have been previously posted). Now that SafariSS has completed his repairs I plan to start the process on mine. I will be presenting my case to Oasis RV here in Tucson,AZ soon. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions in that regard? Has anyone approached Airstream Corp. as to a cash settlement in lieu of repairs? Does that have merit? If so what would be a reasonable cash settlement.
SafariSS: Did you have to pay any out of pocket money in connection with your repair? What was the total warranty cost of the repair? I presume that you had to stand the cost of the gas struts for the bed?? If so, what was the cost and did the dealer install them??
Anyone: Have I overlooked anything?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
It looks great, however I don’t want to give up the external storage space..it serves as my tool shed.. hitch system, torque wrenches, drill, tool sets..all the man toys that are greasy go inside this compartment and in my opinion, if I must have it redesigned, we all should be compensated for the design flaw and the tremendous amount time energy and effort to correct the problem... I'm not a litigious person but this point is irritating and I would sincerely like others input on the matter.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

Old 03-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Warranty details...

Sandy, I am not sure how much just the sheetmetal work was, my total warranty work $$ value was just over 4k as I had other miscellaneous items done. I opted for the no door route because of my other plans, and just did not want the future worry of a leaky access door.

IMO, the square cornered door is part of the contributor to the problem here. After seeing the old piece of sheetmetal off of the trailer it had ripped exactly from the corners of the storage box down to the lower edge.
1. This shows there was alot of flex here.
2. The square corners distributed the flex across the width of the box where the corner concentrated the flex.
3. If you have a door reinstalled here it should be a rounded corner model like our rear doors and like the classics have on the front, they are the only other units that have had this type door, but it was only half as wide and had radiused corners.
I am pleased with the repair and AS was happy to make it all right. No complaints other than about 1k miles to dealership (2 round trips at 500 miles each).

My only out of pocket expenses were the gas struts, $44 bucks each. I installed them myself. I do not belive AS will give you a cash-out option. Lastly I suggested the rounded corner door, but they would only replace the original back in. I am not sure how much the rounded storage door would be.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #118
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Like AZStreamin I keep my tools and hitch components in my front "trunk" and wouldn't want to give it up either. My guess on the refusal to switch the door to a rounded door could be because it could be construed as an admission to design error and further liability.

So far more than 5,000 miles and no cracks showing up and I have towed over some really rough stretches of Interstate that is in serious need of repairs and some that is in process of repairs in both South Georgia and the Cincinnati area. Just my luck, the cracks will show up after the 2 year warranty expires.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #119
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I actually like the concept of eliminating the front storage door entirely. We only store little-used items in the front compartment because it is slightly difficult to get to with the hitch and propane tanks in the way.

We did the gas-strut-under-the-bed concept and found it makes the storage under the bed much more accessible, too.

Brent, we will drop in this weekend for the rally but probably not with the Safari 30. Someone else asked me about that via email this week but I wasn't able to reply because his email address bounced.

My sense on the front compartment cracking issue is that Airstream provides everyone a 2-year warranty specifically so problems like this can be corrected. So if you have the cracks, there's no reason they can't be fixed. Warranties always specifically exclude "incidental" costs such as travel. Out of warranty issues will probably be handled on a case-by-case basis. I don't speak for Airstream; this is just my take.

We'll be heading back to Mexico again later this Spring or late Fall with the Bunkhouse. It's a neat place and we want to see more.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr

Brent, we will drop in this weekend for the rally but probably not with the Safari 30. Someone else asked me about that via email this week but I wasn't able to reply because his email address bounced.
Sounds good Rich click on the link below for the thread on the rally for a map and directions or send me a PM and I'll give you my mobile. I think the map is on page 7 or 8.