Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
That $21000 they quote for the cost of the change only includes less than $1500 for lawyers. I'll bet that even moving the decimal point will not be enough for the lawyers.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Ok so I'm not the most trusting person, see tricksters behind every tree.

Let's say A inc wanted to start their own AOA but had legal concerns about infringment given the subtitle of the WBCCI. So if WBCCI considers and rejects the AOA name does that clear the way for A Inc to use the name? Not that I think they would be that ......... just a thought. Can you imagine how correct everyone would have to be in the company's club. All logo's on clothes, in windows, ect at rallies would have to be licensed and approved or they make you leave. I think those guys could be scary.

WACCI wants you.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #123

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Could it be?

I just received a communication from a local member who is very involved in WBCCI and has some International aspirations.

"Please be advised that the officers of WBCCI are ALL opposed to the name change. Their motion was simply to LET THE MEMBERSHIP DECIDE since it was from the membership that the change was proposed. PLEASE get that word out!"

The thought came to mind, that is it possible that the leadership didn't want to see a name change (as originally proposed)? Maybe they let the process be gerimandered so that what would come forth would be so totally unacceptable, that the entire name change issue dies?

You know its entirely possible that in the back room, these guys figured out that the rank and file would never let this happen, but just in case let's give 'um a name that nobody could support.

Jack

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
And what promotion! It certainly generates thinking of the club. I never thought so long and hard as what the club means to me before in the past years I've been a member!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
But I am just remembering here, Didn't John Irwin say his Texas unit was entirely for the name change? Isn't that the unit, or is it another Texas unit, that has several of the past WBCCI presidents, including the most recent and some officers that initiated the name change to begin with? The survey would not have netted the results it did had there not been WBCCI officers which were nearly half those tallied if they were not for a name change.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
You know its entirely possible that in the back room, these guys figured out that the rank and file would never let this happen, but just in case let's give 'um a name that nobody could support.

Jack

Jack - If that's the case, I sure hope they're taking a good look at the election process that allowed the issue to get as far as it did before they offered up ee-I-ee-I-oh.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I just received a communication from a local member who is very involved in WBCCI and has some International aspirations.

"Please be advised that the officers of WBCCI are ALL opposed to the name change. Their motion was simply to LET THE MEMBERSHIP DECIDE since it was from the membership that the change was proposed. PLEASE get that word out!"

The thought came to mind, that is it possible that the leadership didn't want to see a name change (as originally proposed)? Maybe they let the process be gerimandered so that what would come forth would be so totally unacceptable, that the entire name change issue dies?

Jack

Jack,
I am starting to hear similar hints from other sources. If true, this is a very nice development (at least from the anti-AOAI perspective).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs down Aoai

Well for the people wanting the name change from the WBCCI .. you think explaining that one is bad.. wait until you say AOAI and people start humming or singing .. " Old MacDonald " .. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #129
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
More name change facts...

I've done further research with WBCCI on what options the delegates have with regards to voting on the name change at International this year. Here are the voting options WBCCI recently sent to me:

(1) Decide to PASS the motion and change the Club's name to AOAI.

Pro:
The new name reflects who and what we are: Airstream owners. Too many people do not know who Wally Byam is or was.

Con:
  1. Members are very strongly divided over changing or not changing the name.
  2. A logo and name license agreement with Thor Corp appears to enable Thor to have the possibility of undesired influence or control over the Club.
  3. Cost estimates are about: $21,300 for the club and $452 for each unit.
(2) Decide to FAIL the motion and keep the Club's name as the WBCCI

Pro:
  1. No cost involved other than what has been spent investigating a proposed new name
  2. We keep control of our Club internally
  3. Decision to emphasize the WBCCI letterhead more; then we could all be trained to refer to the WBCCI as the Airstream Owners Association in dealing with non-WBCCI individuals
Con:
Time and training would be necessary to train all Club members at all levels of leadership that we are to be referred to as the Airstream Owners Association.

(3) Modify the Recommended Name to a different name decided by Delegate Debate
Pro:
Reflects the opinion and desires of all voting Club members and not a smaller group responding to a request or survey or dramatically expressing their opinion.

Con:
A decision needs to be made by delegates without conference with their Unit members. Unit members need to provide the ability of their delegate to exercise/vote on this option.

This is the first I have heard of "(3)" above where the name could change this year based on the results of a delegate debate. I wonder if a unit can vote against holding a delegate debate? I'm assuming yes based on the sentence: "Unit members need to provide the ability of their delegate to exercise/vote on this option". Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:01 AM   #130
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
First I've heard about it.So the plot thickens.Can't decide if this issue is like an adventure,fiction or a mystery novel.Thanks for posting this information.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #131
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Simple response

Yuki,

I am supporting my husbands position;

"Keep the name, change the club".
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #132

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
This is the first I have heard of "(3)" above where the name could change this year based on the results of a delegate debate. I wonder if a unit can vote against holding a delegate debate? I'm assuming yes based on the sentence: "Unit members need to provide the ability of their delegate to exercise/vote on this option". Has anyone heard anything else about this?
You know the process gets more and more bizzare. I sent a copy of this to our unit president and asked him if these folks proposing this are off their meds.

So first the vote of the units in April last year is ignored and we get something completely different that what we asked for. Then they give a new option to allow debate and these same folks will have the ability to choose a name that they want, without input from the membership.......and they wonder why they aren't getting new members.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #133
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
You know the process gets more and more bizzare. I sent a copy of this to our unit president and asked him if these folks proposing this are off their meds.
I think you have hit the proverbial "nail on the head" with your comment about informing your unit president. I don't think I would personally ask the "meds" question, but that is just me.

I think all unit presidents received a copy of the delegate name change motion options which I published a part of earlier in this thread. The important first step is that the word is spread to the unit presidents who, in turn, will inform their membership base so that everyone is aware of all the issues and can vote intelligently. My only other comment is don't assume anything and question everything.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #134

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
I think you have hit the proverbial "nail on the head" with your comment about informing your unit president. I don't think I would personally ask the "meds" question, but that is just me.
He knows me well enough that he knows where I am coming from.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Really, the proper way to deal with this is NOT to amend or modify anything because it only dilutes the "No" vote and supports the "Yes" vote. The proper way to deal with this is to vote no on the motion at hand. Then if a new name is desired, make a motion and go through the process all over again.

For an issue that has been researched so well by the organization and the leadership is sure that this is a good enough name to send down to the troops, there is either a general lack of confidence in the name selected or the "Modify" item is a very well planned move to ensure that those who are on the fence really wind up supporting the name change unwittingly.

If you are not 100% sure on the name, Vote NO. If you don't understand or have questions, ask for more information. If you support the name change vote yes, but ONLY if AOAI is the name you want to now have. If the name you want is something else, vote NO.

In my dealings with an organization, before a motion is ever presented to the membership, all modifications are discussed and a final motion is what is sent down with no option to modify. if the content of the motion is not liked, a new motion is drafted, discussed and handed down. And the voting options are always either a Yes or a No, never a modify.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #136

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Seems to me that for a club that is so concerned with following every rule to the letter, having an option to modify is out of character. It's so footloose and fancy free for them. They go through all this trouble to come up with a name, but then at the final showdown they might just change everything and the delegates will wing it and agree on sometehing that could be totally different. I wouldn't want to be one of the delegates behind a decision like that!

Seems to me it should just be YES or NO - no fiddling around with making up something else at the last minute.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
#3, modification of a motion...is always an option on every issue that is proposed.

Quote:
(3) Modify the Recommended Name to a different name decided by Delegate DebateThis is the first I have heard of "(3)" above where the name could change this year based on the results of a delegate debate. I wonder if a unit can vote against holding a delegate debate? I'm assuming yes based on the sentence: "Unit members need to provide the ability of their delegate to exercise/vote on this option". Has anyone heard anything else about this?
For example, last year at International, I was the DenCO Unit Delegate. The DenCO Unit submitted a motion proposing a change to the Bylaws regarding being "self-contained" as a stipulation of being WBCCI Members. Over 1/3 of our unit members own vintage trailers and pre-74 trailers do not all have grey water tanks, thus they technically could not be members of the WBCCI. This loop-hole in the Bylaws was a huge point for us!

Originally the motion was worded so it just eliminated the "self-contained" requirement. One of the biggest concerns at the discussion during the Delegates Meeting was that the majority supported non-fully self-contained vintage Airstreams being eligible for membership, but did not want to open the door to the semi-soft-sided or other non-self-contained products made by Airstream/Thor (like Base Camp & T@B) within the same motion.

Our intent for the motion was solely for vintage trailers, not new or future trailers, frankly those hadn't even been introduced when we originally submitted the motion with the IBT. Not that I have strong feelings one way or another regarding Base Camps or T@Bs, that's a separate issue. However, it became very clear, that in order to have our motion accepted, it needed to be modified and separated out in order to acheive our goal. So it was modified on the spot and re-submitted and worded with vintage trailers specifically in mind, 'pre-1975, non-fully self-contained, hard-sided Airstreams' (including those without grey &/or black water tanks) being eligible for membership.

This was not a huge deal and it followed the intent of our original motion so I backed the modification, it was resubmitted, discussed, voted on and it passed. I feel there is always room for modification...however, I also feel that the modification, at least in this case was very clearly just a clarification - not changing the original intent.

The subject of modifying a name change submission in the same motion probably wouldn't fly though, it didn't last year. Which is why it was broken out into the two parts we have here today: 1) should the name change? and 2) what to?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #138
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Three options to vote on

After sorting through forum threads, websites and WBCCI correspondence, I've compiled a list of the three motions which our delegates will vote on at International this year:

1) Do we agree to change the Club’s name to AOAI (Airstream Owners Association International)?
2) If we agree to change the Club’s name to AOAI, do we adopt the new logo as defined by the IBT?
3) If we disagree to change the Club’s name to AOAI, do we allow our delegate to vote on a different name decided on by delegate debate?

These three options should be voted on at each unit's spring business meeting. Please let me know if this is not correct. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
That is correct. The information handed down to the delegates with respect to this vote is available HERE.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #140
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
That is correct. The information handed down to the delegates with respect to this vote is available HERE.
Thanks for the confirmation! I did see your website last week, and the link you provided above, but I didn't see any information on the website concerning, "2) If we agree to change the Club’s name to AOAI, do we adopt the new logo as defined by the IBT?"

If the logo voting information is on your website, I must have overlooked it.