Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #841
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
The other minor mod I did was to remove all the CRL stickers from the side windows... It was a pita hitting them while cleaning the windows... Peeled those off and used Goo-Gone to get rid of the glue residue...

Thinking if I should do the same with all the warning labels on the outside...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #842

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
When I saw those pics, I thought to myself, "This is how new companies get started."

In any collaborative exchange, if it persists long enough there comes a breach of critical mass when people realize, "Between you, and you, and you, and you, we've pretty much executed an entire new product."

And then some of them proceed to do just that.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #843
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I don't know if I 'should' have removed the warning labels from the outside - but I did. Figured it was just a matter of time until they wore away, and by that time the painted may have faded from where they weren't, leaving a different color where they were. I also removed many from the inside that appeared to serve no purpose but to appease the Airstream legal dept.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #844

Orlando , Florida
After all the talks about generators and the A/C lately... I decided to do a test with mine... Generator fired up and I let it idle for a bit before turning on the A/C...

Started at 105 degrees and went to 88 degress after 50 minutes... this is the longest that I have had the generator running... I wanted to take it down to 70 degrees, but had to turn it off after 50 minutes since it was getting late and I did not wanted to get in trouble with my neighbors.

All working fine... some peace of mind... but the combination is so frigging loud inside... sleeping like this, no way...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2673.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	313099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	313100  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #845
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The only thing 'wrong' about your test is that the compressor only had to turn on one time. And that one time was (presumably) after a complete equalization of pressure across the compressor by having it sit off for a long time. I would expect that repeated starts of the compressor, with a short but realistic time between starts (5 minutes?) would be a more severe test. This would happen when (if?) the AC reached the set point. It would have turned off then turned on soon thereafter when the inside temperature increased above the setpoint.

But having said that, our use (non-use) of the generator and AC is much like yours. Our has worked on the generator the very few times that we have tried to, and I do not plan to 'improve' things with a soft start.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #846

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
The only thing 'wrong' about your test is that the compressor only had to turn on one time. And that one time was (presumably) after a complete equalization of pressure across the compressor by having it sit off for a long time. I would expect that repeated starts of the compressor, with a short but realistic time between starts (5 minutes?) would be a more severe test. This would happen when (if?) the AC reached the set point. It would have turned off then turned on soon thereafter when the inside temperature increased above the setpoint.

But having said that, our use (non-use) of the generator and AC is much like yours. Our has worked on the generator the very few times that we have tried to, and I do not plan to 'improve' things with a soft start.
looks like I did not think this through when doing the test, lol. All I was thinking about at the time was if the A/C could get down to 70 and how long it was going to take...

I will repeat the test with a higher set temp so that I force the compressor to stop/start a few times...

And yes, I do not plan on installing the Easy-Start any time soon... During all the tests we have done, we have not had issue with the generator running the A/C. And when we have gone to camp sites, we have been connected to shore power when using the A/C.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #847

Orlando , Florida
Something that I need to add to the check list... and forgot on the last trip

That rubber plug for the shower drain... forgot to plug it. Nothing happened, just that I saw a video the other day where they mention putting it in place to avoid gray tank odors in the AI (not an issue now since the tank is relatively new, but will be after months/years of use)...

Oh, and I also forgot to put some of the Toilet Seal Lube and Conditioner in the toilet... when I checked yesterday, the little bit of water I had left in there had evaporated... no excuse, I had a new/unopened bottle in the AI... so adding this to the list as well for when storing for long periods of time.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #848

Orlando , Florida
Dometic 320 Toilet should be here Friday...so this weekend I will be working on the install...

The rods that I ordered for the fridge (to keep stuff from spilling/breaking while on the road) are too long. Obviously my fault for not paying attention to the length. Camco 16-28" RV Refrigerator Bar . If anyone here has any use for them, let me know and I will send them your way. If not, there are just going to be lost in the sea of stuff in my garage. PM if you want them.

I saw a comment from Interblog on a thermometer for the fridge, and since the temperatures here are starting to get higher, wanted to monitor the inside temps in the fridge... after being tempted to go with this one (yes, I am a sucker for gadgets like these):

I ended up ordering the same one as InterBlog (at least I think I did). US$8.95 and it keeps min and max values that I can look at when I get home. This is to determine if I need to install a fan in the back to help circulate air around the coil... or if I go as far as following the suggestion Alex AVI made of finding a way to vent to the outside...

With the thermometer I ordered the correct fridge rods for my Lounge fridge...

Also got the parts needed to route the quick disconnect port for compressed air... lifting the hood to use the compressor got old quickly.

I plan to install the quick disconnect port in the available space next to the LP assembly... I got a "T" just in case I want to run another quick disconnect port to the other side of the AI. Besides using this to fill inflatables, tires, etc. It helps to purge the water lines, just need to make and adapter for that... saw that somewhere here in another thread... hum... maybe I should install one inside that I can use to inflate the mattress (getting rid of the air pump...that would be one less thing to carry)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61-2V8F744L._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	313111   Click image for larger version

Name:	81LWwa00YWL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	313112  

Name:	Air.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	313118  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #849
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
You may be able to use those rods in some of the cabinets.
I tend to overload the lower cabinets (squishable stuff, that can expand and open the door upon occasion). One of those rods may be the ticket to solve that.

I try not to overload the overhead cabinets, since stuff falls all over the place when opening if you do. Although we could do a better job packing those also...

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #850

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
You may be able to use those rods in some of the cabinets.
I tend to overload the lower cabinets (squishable stuff, that can expand and open the door upon occasion). One of those rods may be the ticket to solve that.

I try not to overload the overhead cabinets, since stuff falls all over the place when opening if you do. Although we could do a better job packing those also...

Mark
Mark,

We have a running joke... every time we arrive somewhere my wife would start saying "Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the drive"... never gets old

Thank you for the suggestion. Will check if these work there.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #851
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Mark,

We have a running joke... every time we arrive somewhere my wife would start saying "Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and please use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the drive"... never gets old

Thank you for the suggestion. Will check if these work there.
Gotta love your wife's sense of humor.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #852

Orlando , Florida
Oh goodness... I cancelled everything I ordered... I think that I just sold the AI...

I have this scary feeling in my stomach...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #853
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Oh goodness... I cancelled everything I ordered... I think that I just sold the AI...

I have this scary feeling in my stomach...
Dang! I was going to buy yours in a few years when the depreciation curve flattens out. Did Jackson Center or ARV buy it to use as a future prototype?
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #854

Orlando , Florida
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Dang! I was going to buy yours in a few years when the depreciation curve flattens out. Did Jackson Center or ARV buy it to use as a future prototype?
A family was looking for one on Facebook, in the Airstream Interstate closed group section... I open my mouth and told them that I would sell it for 146K and got a message today that they are interested...

Somewhat unexpected but self-inflicted... I really did not think that I would hear from them.

Toilet still scheduled to arrive Friday, so I will just go ahead and install it, if it fits... or I will have an awkward decoration in the family room (or interesting conversation piece)...

If it does goes through, I need to figure out what we will use for the three reservations we already have booked and paid for...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #855
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sounds a little bit like what my high school English teacher used to say: "Open mouth, insert foot. Change feet hourly. Be sure to wear your mint-flavored shoes..."

(He was the ONLY teacher I ever had that knew how to effectively teach good writing skills...God rest his soul...he was a WWII veteran as well.)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #856
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post

Only talking 2018 setup here, not sure how other MY are setup. I think I have the closest environement to satisfy a 'RIGHT' conditions for SEVERE testing. If there is anything else needed, please let me know

- I am now in Grand Junction, CO, 4,600 ft. asl
- currently sitting in full high sun, temp 104° , humidity 9%
- gen been running 3.5 hrs. now
- gen started earlier today for a 1-time full equalization to go from 98° to 70° interior temp worked flawlessly
- drove with gen on and had it going through multiple start & stops flawlessly to maintain 70 set point, admittedly MB A/C aiding in the process while driving
- sitting in parking lot now chilling while wife & daughter does her normal shopping spree
- set A/C to low, manual and temp holding at 79 attempting to go to 70. Not sure it is realistic for me to expect it to get much lower, esp. on low. But we are talking a 25° differential already, much more if taking heated interior temp into account before firing up gen & A/C.

My conclusion to my arbitrary tests & arbitrary conditions - at over 100° I need to run gen & rear A/C if I have rear passengers. Just no way around this conundrum

Name:	20180605_150518.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	313131

Name:	20180605_154438-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	313137
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #857
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Alex you need to come up to Breckenridge, the high today was 72, down to 40 early tomorrow morning. No need for AC, or generator.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #858
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Alex you need to come up to Breckenridge, the high today was 72, down to 40 early tomorrow morning. No need for AC, or generator.
Funny you mentioned - we are going to Boulder for the triathlon. Was planning on spending few days at Breckenridge, but it all depends on what family wants to do coz they already gave up few days from GJ to allow me to do Boulder triathlon, then head back to GJ. Our trip was only supposed to be LV to GJ and stay here 2 weeks. But since so close, I decided to squeeze Boulder tri AND still hoping Breckenridge. That would be nice to not use A/C. I used up all my propane (though still original dealer fill from 3 mos. ago) from all the gen use to have A/C running in the house everytime we stop somewhere for a few hours. It actually got up to 104° in Rim Rock area today. That's hot even for LV standards.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #859
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Dometic 320 Toilet should be here Friday...so this weekend I will be working on the install...

The rods that I ordered for the fridge (to keep stuff from spilling/breaking while on the road) are too long. Obviously my fault for not paying attention to the length. Camco 16-28" RV Refrigerator Bar . If anyone here has any use for them, let me know and I will send them your way. If not, there are just going to be lost in the sea of stuff in my garage. PM if you want them.

I saw a comment from Interblog on a thermometer for the fridge, and since the temperatures here are starting to get higher, wanted to monitor the inside temps in the fridge... after being tempted to go with this one (yes, I am a sucker for gadgets like these):

I ended up ordering the same one as InterBlog (at least I think I did). US$8.95 and it keeps min and max values that I can look at when I get home. This is to determine if I need to install a fan in the back to help circulate air around the coil... or if I go as far as following the suggestion Alex AVI made of finding a way to vent to the outside...

With the thermometer I ordered the correct fridge rods for my Lounge fridge...

Also got the parts needed to route the quick disconnect port for compressed air... lifting the hood to use the compressor got old quickly.

I plan to install the quick disconnect port in the available space next to the LP assembly... I got a "T" just in case I want to run another quick disconnect port to the other side of the AI. Besides using this to fill inflatables, tires, etc. It helps to purge the water lines, just need to make and adapter for that... saw that somewhere here in another thread... hum... maybe I should install one inside that I can use to inflate the mattress (getting rid of the air pump...that would be one less thing to carry)

I have one of those sensorpush sensors, the wireless one and it is awesome. I am thinking of getting another one and mount outside so we have constant temp reading in fridge and outside. It keeps history as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #860

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I have one of those sensorpush sensors, the wireless one and it is awesome. I am thinking of getting another one and mount outside so we have constant temp reading in fridge and outside. It keeps history as well.
Good to know, thank you. I might end up ordering, if only for the ease of reading the temp with my phone and its ability to keep a log. Would be good to see how it behaves during the day and night. Added to the wish list.

Toilet still scheduled to arrive Friday (got an email that the delivery date had moved to Monday, but checking UPS it is still scheduled to arrive Friday)... I will share photos of the install... really hopeful that it fits without mods... I checked again and the back wall gives a little bit... I will place some 3M clear film to protect the wall before installing the toilet. The back of the toilet will no doubt touch the wall.
WBCCI #26769