Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #701
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Don't know who that is or the reference.
That is the famous Cool McCool!! And one of his phrases is “Danger is my middle name”.

I was just trying to make a funny reference... but now the moment is gone...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #702
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Following your progress on relocating the LP Fill Panel with great interest. You are doing the same thing I was planning, but the next step is more of a challenge. How do you plan to cut that bracket with the LP lines attached?

Or are you going to empty the LP tank and disconnect the lines? That's the dilemma.
+1 Never scares me to do electricity live but I just petrified of tooling around/near any type of gas
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #703

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
You might want to make the assembly a little more sturdy...

I just filled the propane for the first time and the attendant was pretty physical with the propane nozzle and the RV inlet. The whole RV was shaking.

The rivets might get loose over time. Maybe more overlap and two rows of rivets, or zig zag?

Just a suggestion.

Also, in case you have not thought about it, which I am sure you did, the bracket supporting the skirt would probably be a good place to mount the magnet to keep the opening closed.

Great Job! You are very brave with the mini hack saw.

I plan to do this modification also. Thank you for sharing.
I can also use bolts to secure it. Thank you for the suggestion. It needs to be as sturdy or more than when it was stock.

On the supporting bracket. Yes! That is why I wanted to see if I could cut right next to it. It will serve as the point where the magnet attaches to.

Thanks again!
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #704

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
If you are thinking about silver trim pieces, here are a couple from a quick search:

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Overla.../dp/B01E3COKK6

https://www.amazon.com/YIJINSHENG-3m...ASVS2NFYXEBX0T
Thank you. I will try touch up paint first... but most likely I will need to do the trim... I think it will look better than just leaving it without it... but I will try to find it in silver instead of chrome. To make it disappear... So I will order the second one on your post.
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #705
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
+1 Never scares me to do electricity live but I just petrified of tooling around/near any type of gas
Agree. But a hacksaw or drill with lube oil should not produce any sparks. I would not recommend a grinder or cut-off disk tool. I'm going to have a closer look at my van now to see if I can get this done.

For relocating the quick-connect fitting I'll have to drill a large hole and get a proper bulkhead fitting. Not going to try to re-weld the old fitting on the panel.

An aluminum continuous hinge would also work for remounting the trim piece
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #706

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Just hold my beer while I do this...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #707

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Agree. But a hacksaw or drill with lube oil should not produce any sparks. I would not recommend a grinder or cut-off disk tool. I'm going to have a closer look at my van now to see if I can get this done.

For relocating the quick-connect fitting I'll have to drill a large hole and get a proper bulkhead fitting. Not going to try to re-weld the old fitting on the panel.

An aluminum continuous hinge would also work for remounting the trim piece
^ This!!! Even a hack saw... I can use a small cutting disk with the dremel to make the path... and then use a hack saw to finish the cut... I am in no hurry and can take the time cutting it...

I got this hinge... should be here in a few weeks. Stainless steel. But as you mentioned, aluminum should work as well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #708
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
That is the famous Cool McCool!! And one of his phrases is “Danger is my middle name”.

I was just trying to make a funny reference... but now the moment is gone...
Sorry - I was in college when the Cool McCool animated series ran on NBC (1966-1969). I didn't watch much TV during those years.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #709
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
^ This!!! Even a hack saw... I can use a small cutting disk with the dremel to make the path... and then use a hack saw to finish the cut... I am in no hurry and can take the time cutting it...

I got this hinge... should be here in a few weeks. Stainless steel. But as you mentioned, aluminum should work as well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for link to SS hinge, that would be stronger than aluminum. Here is the type of bulkhead fitting that might work to re-locate the quick-connect fitting.
https://www.amazon.com/Legines-Fitti...dp/B074FT9JJG/
Old 05-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #710

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for link to SS hinge, that would be stronger than aluminum. Here is the type of bulkhead fitting that might work to re-locate the quick-connect fitting.
https://www.amazon.com/Legines-Fitti...dp/B074FT9JJG/
I was not planning on relocating the quick disconnect. I was just going to place a spacer to push the whole thing back so that the connector clears the chassis.

And because of this, use bolts to secure everything together...

Makes sense?
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #711
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
Thank you. I will try touch up paint first... but most likely I will need to do the trim... I think it will look better than just leaving it without it... but I will try to find it in silver instead of chrome. To make it disappear... So I will order the second one on your post.
Some more trim that might not be as shiny:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-COS...lver+edge+trim

https://www.amazon.com/Matched-Moldi...lver+edge+trim
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #712
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I was not planning on relocating the quick disconnect. I was just going to place a spacer to push the whole thing back so that the connector clears the chassis.

And because of this, use bolts to secure everything together...

Makes sense?

Not sure there is enough room to do what you suggest. Might be if you use about 1/2" spacers. Definitely bolts required for this. I'll have to look close and measure. Sure would be easier if you don't have to re-locate that connector.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #713
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Ok - looking at this closer I'm thinking a piece of 3/4" square tubing would make an adequate spacer. That also would mean mounting the panel about 1/4" lower than you suggested above. Not a big issue. Plan to spend some time tomorrow under van checking dimensions.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #714
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
You did such a wonderful job on that cut (freehand, you one brave cookie). I personally think the paint touchup will end up looking great coz the cut was clean and so the 2 edges will match up. Whichever way you end up finishing the edge, yours will look so much cleaner setup than the rest of us mortals.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #715
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Quote:
You did such a wonderful job on that cut (freehand, you one brave cookie). I personally think the paint touchup will end up looking great coz the cut was clean and so the 2 edges will match up. Whichever way you end up finishing the edge, yours will look so much cleaner setup than the rest of us mortals.
I agree. Great job!

For myself, I might try a Japanese saw, or a Japanese Panel saw. They cut really thin and are really sharp. With a hard edge as a guide, one can cut a thin straight line.

Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #716
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge

Another possibility is one of the oscillating saws (Fein or other brands) and a sturdy guide like a straight piece of hardwood.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:51 AM   #717

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Another possibility is one of the oscillating saws (Fein or other brands) and a sturdy guide like a straight piece of hardwood.
I have one...but it was raining...I did not wanted to end up listed in the Darwin Award site...

http://www.darwinawards.com
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #718
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
From the pictures on post #690 the lower trim of the 2018 TB appears to be the same as my 2013 EXT. Like with the 2018 there are straps of metal riveted between the Sprinter panel and the bottom of the plastic trim, including one about where the cut would be made. MY question: How is the top of the plastic Airstream trim connected to the bottom of the metal Sprinter panel? Double-stick 3M tape? And how do you cut the very top of the plastic trim with it still attached to the bottom of the Sprinter panel? Seems that any type/size/shape of saw would not only saw through the plastic but also the adjacent Sprinter panel.

The plastic trim appears to fit tight against the Sprinter panel. Doesn't the use of a hinge in between the two cause the bottom of the newly-hinged panel to be lower than the adjacent fixed panel? From your picture in 690 it doesn't look like you cut away any of the top of the plastic panel to make up for the thickness of the hinge. Of maybe the hinge is no thicker than the double-stick tape???

I am a bit reluctant to cut with the panel in place, but even more reluctant to remove the entire panel. But I want to do something because I feel I am living on borrowed time with the current poor design.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:59 AM   #719

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
From the pictures on post #690 the lower trim of the 2018 TB appears to be the same as my 2013 EXT. Like with the 2018 there are straps of metal riveted between the Sprinter panel and the bottom of the plastic trim, including one about where the cut would be made. MY question: How is the top of the plastic Airstream trim connected to the bottom of the metal Sprinter panel? Double-stick 3M tape? And how do you cut the very top of the plastic trim with it still attached to the bottom of the Sprinter panel? Seems that any type/size/shape of saw would not only saw through the plastic but also the adjacent Sprinter panel.

The plastic trim appears to fit tight against the Sprinter panel. Doesn't the use of a hinge in between the two cause the bottom of the newly-hinged panel to be lower than the adjacent fixed panel? From your picture in 690 it doesn't look like you cut away any of the top of the plastic panel to make up for the thickness of the hinge. Of maybe the hinge is no thicker than the double-stick tape???

I am a bit reluctant to cut with the panel in place, but even more reluctant to remove the entire panel. But I want to do something because I feel I am living on borrowed time with the current poor design.
Plastic trim is held in place by gray double face tape and self-tap screws (there was only one screw on the side I cut).

I made the cut right besides bracket on purpose. Just happens to be the exact length to not have to cut the 12" piano hinge

The hinge is very thin... so there should not be any issues with alignment of the trim already in place.

I removed the self-tap screw and placed a thin plastic on top while I was cutting... this way, when I reached the top, I had a few mm of that plastic to avoid any damage to the AI. Once you remove the self-tap, you can push a little downwards and avoid touching anything else... remember, I was using a small hacksaw blade... so I was able to control the speed of the cut.

The hinge is indeed not thicker than the double face tape. I just need to make sure that the bolts or rivets used, do not change that thickness... also keep in mind that the thickest part of the hinge is at the curvature for the trim and AI... so there is additional clearance there to accommodate the hinge...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #720

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok - looking at this closer I'm thinking a piece of 3/4" square tubing would make an adequate spacer. That also would mean mounting the panel about 1/4" lower than you suggested above. Not a big issue. Plan to spend some time tomorrow under van checking dimensions.
I have some left over stainless steel spacers from a motorcycle stabilizer project... I was just planing on using those to create the spacing needed to push back the assembly and clear the quick disconnect and switch... but some square tubing works just as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 1_zpsn38ua7q0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	311553   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 2_zpsywflqgcz.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	311554  

WBCCI #26769