Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
I19 Sliding Screen Door Issue

The sliding screen door on our 2023 I19 appears to be bent, preventing the door from fully closing. The dealer has taken the position that it just needed adjusting, but it still isn't right.

Does anyone know who makes those screens for Airstream? I would like to buy a replacement, but Airstream wants about $1,000 for the slider and screen assembly. Hoping I can get it for less somewhere else.
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Given you're in a 2023 your screen door should be covered under warranty, even if a replacement is needed.

That said, I have no idea on replacement parts / costs, but if I were replacing the sliding screen door monstrosity we still have in our 2016 unit, I would seriously consider a magnetic screen from Rolef instead. In fact, when ours finally craps out, that's what we'll probably get. I believe there may be some tricky steps in removing the fixed elements of the existing sliding screen door, but I bet folks here have done it and can provide tips.

https://www.rolef.ca/products/custom...de-screen-door
and, the installation process: https://www.rolef.ca/installation

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMartin View Post
The sliding screen door on our 2023 I19 appears to be bent, preventing the door from fully closing. The dealer has taken the position that it just needed adjusting, but it still isn't right.

Does anyone know who makes those screens for Airstream? I would like to buy a replacement, but Airstream wants about $1,000 for the slider and screen assembly. Hoping I can get it for less somewhere else.
Start calling Airstream corporate customer service and get some leverage on the dealer to fix it properly.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Mike's advice above is great. In our case, when we bought our first Airstream (trailer) new, we were lucky enough to have a large dealer who was willing to advocate for us when Airstream didn't seem interested in actually fixing things that should be under warranty. The dealer (multiple locations) was so large that Airstream didn't fight them very hard when they made demands for warranty support.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Our screen door/window screen has the name Poseidon - checking for a website it looks like this is the company. Even looks like a photo of the Interstate screen door/window screen - https://poseidoninteriors.com/produc...onal-vehicles/

I'd be interested to see a photo of how yours is bent. I have noticed over the several weeks we've owned our I19 that it seems to be "seating in" to form a better seal over time when closed.

Hope you can get the dealer to get it sorted for you as opposed to buying a whole new unit yourself.
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:53 PM   #6

2023 Interstate 19
Hampstead , NC
rear screen

We have a new Interstate 19 2023 and the back screen for the back doors has not worked since we took possession. We haven't contacted the dealer yet because we are waiting for the other inevitable issues, but is there anything we could do to try to fix it? When we try to operate it, there is a clicking noise but it shows no sign of operating so we believe it is jammed in some way. We don't want to force it down manually so what might we do other than go to the dealer?
swampfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Browns Valley , California
Thank you all for the great advise!
The screen is still under warranty. I didn't press the dealership harder because it's just my opinion that it's still not right. I am happy with the dealership and don't want to push it until I can take a look at another I19 to compare.

With that said, I like Boxster1971's suggestion of contacting Airstream. I might give them a call to see if we can confirm there is a problem.

Thank you lorne_k2 for the link. It doesn't look like they do direct sales, but it's good info to have.

Rocinante's advise mirrored a friend with 10+ years of RV experience who said that I'll end up ditching the sliding door for a Rolef

It might be awhile, but I'll post an update once it's been resolved.
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:

2021 AI-19 - We had to adjust ours a bit but okay now. Not perfect but okay.
(Persistence can pay off but why put a customer in that position? I don’t get why the dealer and Airstream don’t communicate and work together to make repairs. What is gained from the resistance?)
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
2021 AI-19 - We had to adjust ours a bit but okay now. Not perfect but okay.
(Persistence can pay off but why put a customer in that position? I don’t get why the dealer and Airstream don’t communicate and work together to make repairs. What is gained from the resistance?)
Saving money for Airstream and dealer.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Saving money for Airstream and dealer.
To save they have to deceive and resist until the customer gives up? Not a great business model.

Seems rare to hear a story about a dealer "got right on it" or "Airstream really came through".
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
SARASOTA , Florida
Quote:

I have experienced great service from both MB and AS in both warranty and recall issues. My 2020 IS19 has had 4 MB recalls (mostly software upgrades and an emergency brake engagement issue). AS Jackson Center was great in working with their dealer network (FL & AL) in replacing my failed solar panels and a plumbing pipe break in my galley bathroom sinks! and some upholstery/trim issues on my interior sliding door-all repair personnel had great skill sets. I currently have 45,000 “scenic” miles and enjoyed every experience��. No issues with my screens but thanks for the references/suppliers.
Ron47 is offline   Reply With Quote