Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
External Solar for 2023 I19 Questions

Looks like my I19 has two external solar jacks.

Need some advice on hooking up external panels like Goal Zero with respect to what connectors, etc.

If I add 200W external to the 250W onboard how does that change anything if I stick with the onboard 200whour Lithium batteries and 1000W inverter?

Assume it will just charge faster.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 19
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Looks like my I19 has two external solar jacks.

Need some advice on hooking up external panels like Goal Zero with respect to what connectors, etc.

If I add 200W external to the 250W onboard how does that change anything if I stick with the onboard 200whour Lithium batteries and 1000W inverter?

Assume it will just charge faster.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the "two external solar jacks"?

I have a 2022 AS19 and this is the wiring diagram of the 150W solar panel system for the house batteries. I am not sure how you would hook in an external solar panel. Maybe the 2023 AS19 has a different setup?

You likely know this, but there is also a 100W solar panel and controller for the coach battery. The 150W (house) + 100W (coach) = 250W total solar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 12.58.05 PM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	429326
microbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
There is a jack on either side in the back for external solar hookups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbeta View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the "two external solar jacks"?

I have a 2022 AS19 and this is the wiring diagram of the 150W solar panel system for the house batteries. I am not sure how you would hook in an external solar panel. Maybe the 2023 AS19 has a different setup?

You likely know this, but there is also a 100W solar panel and controller for the coach battery. The 150W (house) + 100W (coach) = 250W total solar.

Attachment 429326
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E0294548-CF66-4F6A-953F-774AFE034228.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	429331  
Old 03-20-2023, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
From the manual:
Solar Ports

In addition to the 150 watts of solar power dedicated to your house battery, your Airstream has two external ports that allow for the plug-and-play connection of additional solar panel arrays� There is a solar port on each side of the touring coach�

There are limitations when considering which aftermarket panels to purchase or how to build an external array:

• Ensure the aftermarket solar panels do NOT include a solar controller/regulator� The system already has a controller� Connecting a second portable controller will negatively affect the system

• The maximum total input for all solar power is 500 watts, and the touring coach is already factoryequipped with 150 watts (4�2 amps at 35 volts) dedicated to the house battery� Therefore, the maximum input through the external ports is limited to 350 watts�

To achieve optimum results, the voltage of your external array should closely match the 35 volts of the existing rooftop array� If not, the circuit will dump and waste the lower voltage supply� Check the aftermarket solar panel manufacturer’s information on the solar panels you intend to use�

Airstream recommends mimicking the factory-installed rooftop solar array using Merlin manufactured solar panels, wired in “series,” when constructing your setup� Wiring the panels in “parallel” could potentially exceed the controller’s rating�

WARNING

Portable solar panels/arrays must not exceed 20amps or the 100-volt rating of the solar controller.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 19
Ottawa , Ontario
It is a different setup than the 2022 Interstate 19....
microbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
It looks like it. Hopefully, someone on here will have some experience with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbeta View Post
It is a different setup than the 2022 Interstate 19....
Old 03-20-2023, 01:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Douglassville , Pennsylvania
It is also a different setup from a 2023 I19 w/E1. The solar controller is a Victron 100/20, which surprised me a bit as I thought they would use the integrated Volta solar controller but happy to see the Victron component. Note that the recommended Merlin solar panels are not easy to find. I did find one source but they are not generally available. Not sure if the ones from Zamp, Goal Zero, etc. are fully "compatible."

Also note that all the solar in the E1 package models (maybe others, too) does not dedicate any of the solar array to charging the coach battery. So no solar battery minder in the E1, only the "regular" battery minder. Which makes sense as the Volta battery pack is substantial.

From the E1 package manual:

In addition to the 250 watts of solar power dedicated
to your house battery, your Airstream has two external ports that allow for the plug-and-play connection of additional solar panel arrays. There is a solar port on each side of the touring coach (ed.: I add that these are ZAMP components...)

There are limitations when considering which aftermarket panels to purchase or how to build an external array:
• Ensure the aftermarket solar panels do NOT include a solar controller/regulator. The system already has a controller. Connecting a second portable controller will negatively affect the system.
• The maximum total input for all solar power is 1200 watts, and the touring coach is already factory- equipped with 250 watts (4 amps at 65 volts) dedicated to the house battery. Therefore, the maximum input through the external ports is limited to 950 watts.
To achieve optimum results, the voltage of your external array should closely match the 65 volts of the existing rooftop array. If not, power output can be greatly diminished (reduced) in one or both sets of panels. Check the aftermarket solar panel manufacturer’s information on the solar panels you intend to use.
Airstream recommends mimicking the factory-installed rooftop solar array using Merlin manufactured solar panels, wired in “series,” when constructing your setup. Wiring the panels in “parallel” could potentially exceed the controller’s rating.
lorne_k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I hope someone can confirm the Goal Zero 100W or 200W will work.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorne_k2 View Post
It is also a different setup from a 2023 I19 w/E1. The solar controller is a Victron 100/20, which surprised me a bit as I thought they would use the integrated Volta solar controller but happy to see the Victron component. . .
Yes - unusual that they add a separate Victron solar controller when there is a solar controller built into the Volta Power Distribution Hub. But then the electrical system designers at Airstream have a long history of unusual and often troublesome layouts.

It would be better to have the roof mounted solar panels on one solar controller, like the Victron. Then wire the external ports to feed the separate solar controller in the Volta Power Distribution Hub. Putting all the solar panels on a single controller is not ideal.

Since Volta batteries need 65 volts for solar charging you will need three typical 12 volt solar panels in series to get to that voltage into the external solar ports.

The higher Volta voltage requirement is why all three roof solar panels are needed to charge the Volta battery. That eliminates the solar charging of the Sprinter chassis battery with E1 option on an AI19.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes - unusual that they add a separate Victron solar controller when there is a solar controller built into the Volta Power Distribution Hub. But then the electrical system designers at Airstream have a long history of unusual and often troublesome layouts.

It would be better to have the roof mounted solar panels on one solar controller, like the Victron. Then wire the external ports to feed the separate solar controller in the Volta Power Distribution Hub. Putting all the solar panels on a single controller is not ideal.

Since Volta batteries need 65 volts for solar charging you will need three typical 12 volt solar panels in series to get to that voltage into the external solar ports.

The higher Volta voltage requirement is why all three roof solar panels are needed to charge the Volta battery. That eliminates the solar charging of the Sprinter chassis battery with E1 option on an AI19.
I guess I am not following. The manual for my non E1 I19 says:

The maximum total input for all solar power is 500 watts, and the touring coach is already factory- equipped with 150 watts (4�2 amps at 35 volts) dedicated to the house battery� Therefore, the maximum input through the external ports is limited to 350 watts�
To achieve optimum results, the voltage of your external array should closely match the 35 volts of the existing rooftop array� If not, the circuit will dump and waste the lower voltage supply� Check the aftermarket solar panel manufacturer’s information on the solar panels you intend to use

Also, it has 2 Battle Born Batteries (LiFePO4) batteries

Why would a Goal Zero 100W panel not work? Goal Zero given the above says it will.

Also, do these ports use Anderson connectors?
Old 03-20-2023, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
I was looking at both of the solar wiring diagrams on the 23 AI19’s with the E1 package and without. “Insert scratching my head emoji here”

My thinking for both is to separate the wiring from the roof mounted solar panels and the two exterior ports by:

For the AI19 without the E1 package, I would separate the wiring on the two exterior solar ports from the roof mount panels by just adding another solar controller to the two exterior ports. This way you can use whatever portable panel(s) you’d like as long as both sides are the same if you’re going to add them to both sides of the van.

For the E1 package, I would also separate the wiring. Tie the two exterior ports to the Volta solar controller and leave the roof mounted panels tied to the Victron MPPT in order to use whatever panels as well. You can use different solar panels when using two separate solar chargers controllers and keeping the panels separated by the charge controllers. On the EI solar wiring, they tied all roof and exterior ports to the same MPPT which kinda makes no sense when there are two available.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:

The maximum total input for all solar power is 500 watts, and the touring coach is already factory- equipped with 150 watts (4�2 amps at 35 volts) dedicated to the house battery� Therefore, the maximum input through the external ports is limited to 350 watts�
To achieve optimum results, the voltage of your external array should closely match the 35 volts of the existing rooftop array� If not, the circuit will dump and waste the lower voltage supply� Check the aftermarket solar panel manufacturer’s information on the solar panels you intend to use

Why would a Goal Zero 100W panel not work? Goal Zero given the above says it will.

https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
Old 03-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks. Guess another too hard project for now. Just don’t want to get into installing a bunch of components at this point for minimal gain.

And here is a picture of the connector. Looks to be SAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DD8FFE07-4AD7-47EA-8BAC-02A7B4F01AA1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	429339  
Old 03-20-2023, 05:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Thanks. Guess another too hard project for now. Just don’t want to get into installing a bunch of components at this point for minimal gain.

And here is a picture of the connector. Looks to be SAE.
Yup, that's an SAE connection but you can easily convert it to an Anderson connection if you'd like. Just + and - connection that you swap out - very easy. They also sell ports for it. Or you can get an SAE to Anderson connection:

https://www.amazon.com/LIXIN-Waterpr...%2C125&sr=8-10

Now if you really want to go all out - I like this connection and thinking of doing the same on our new van:

Old 03-20-2023, 06:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I don't recommend reading the AI19 manual without E1 - it is a very different electrical system. The Goal Zero panels would work if the voltage of three panels in series is about 65 volts. Anything less than that would reduce the solar performance.

The external solar ports are NOT Anderson connectors - wish they were. I believe they are like these cheap version from ZAMP.

https://www.amazon.com/ZAMP-SOLAR-ZS...dp/B07GNMPZZG/
Old 03-20-2023, 07:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks.

So I have 250W solar of which only 150W is directed towards the house battery correct?

I want to add one 100W Goal Zero panel to the external jack. If using the onboard controller why would that not be additive if below the threshold parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I don't recommend reading the AI19 manual without E1 - it is a very different electrical system. The Goal Zero panels would work if the voltage of three panels in series is about 65 volts. Anything less than that would reduce the solar performance.

The external solar ports are NOT Anderson connectors - wish they were. I believe they are like these cheap version from ZAMP.

https://www.amazon.com/ZAMP-SOLAR-ZS...dp/B07GNMPZZG/
Old 03-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks.

So I have 250W solar of which only 150W is directed towards the house battery correct?

I want to add one 100W Goal Zero panel to the external jack. If using the onboard controller why would that not be additive if below the threshold parameters?
Based on the owner's manual information the AI19 with E1 package has 250W of solar power from two 100W panels and one 50W panel. They are all connected in series to the house Volta batteries.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Thanks.

For the 100 watt panel from Goal Zero that I looked at the open circuit voltage is 22.5 volts, you need 35 volts from what you posted. With 2 in series you get 45 volts. Maybe they have a different model that I didn't see?
Edit the suit case version has a Maximum Power Point Voltage (Vmpp): 17.2V don't know if 2 in series would be close enough.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
For the 100 watt panel from Goal Zero that I looked at the open circuit voltage is 22.5 volts, you need 35 volts from what you posted. With 2 in series you get 45 volts. Maybe they have a different model that I didn't see?
Edit the suit case version has a Maximum Power Point Voltage (Vmpp): 17.2V don't know if 2 in series would be close enough.
Agree. Going with the Merlin 170 panel which should work great. Decided to also go with a separate controller for the external jacks.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Agree. Going with the Merlin 170 panel which should work great. Decided to also go with a separate controller for the external jacks.
Going with a separate controller should eliminate the need to match the voltage of your current panels. My last post was about the concern of needing to match if not modifying anything.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote