Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , TN
All great pointers! In my contracting business, I would frequently see a young newby backing one of our short trailers SRAIGHT onto our lot wagging left, right, left, right and I would give them a little tip. Slow down until the wag stops. Works every time.
jsaucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I grew up on a dairy but hadn't backed a trailer other than a flatbed in a very long time. Picked up my new-to-me International 25FB and needed a little refresher before backing it into my son's driveway. I found this description from The Art of Manliness. https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...ler-like-a-man

Nailed it on the first try. I figured it was beginner's luck. Then drove the trailer 1500 miles across eight states and nailed backing in to my own driveway which required two blind 90-degree turns. (A six-foot high wall blocked my view.)

There is much advice in the link that's already been mentioned. But I especially like this: "A word is necessary here about having someone 'guide' you into a spot. Don’t. Having people to help is great, but give them specific jobs....Inexperienced guides will usually run eagerly to the back of the trailer and start waving incomprehensibly while standing somewhere you can’t see and then yell after you’ve run over the picnic table."
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
Lola78

1978 29' Ambassador
Federal heights , Colorado
I once had the pleasure of watching a guy parallel park with
a 12' trailer. It was amazing!
Lola77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
This bring us to my question. What is it that makes a trailer more or less difficult to back. Is it the distance form the ball to the trailer axle? Does width play a part? So maybe the distance from the ball to the wheel? Do dual axles make a difference?
Seems as if this is not a question for you at all
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Back when Maria (rip) and I owned our RV park, I used to offer courtesy parking (enlightened self-interest, I tell you) to those with fifth wheels, travel trailers, pop-ups. And in the end did several hundred of them. THis is what I learned in terms of difficulty of backing into sites from easiest to hardest.

1. Motorhomes. Duh. Like a big VW van. I didn't even offer to do it.

2. Travel trailers. Bread and butter, easy as pie.

3. Pop-ups. They react very quickly to adjustments from the backer, too quickly.

4. Fifth wheels, especially big ones. A pain because they react very, very slowly to adjustments from the backer.

Lynn
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #26
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
What makes a short trailer hard to back? Simple. No reference to detect the slightest change of trailer direction of travel (movement). The secret in flying formation or air-refueling is being able to detect the slightest change in position relative to the other aircraft. So on a trailer find a spot on the trailer relative to the desired path and always visible to the driver. When you see the slightest deflection from the intended track make a slight correction. Do not over correct or things will go South in a hurry. It is like eating an elephant, take one bite at a time. I always use a line of mini traffic cones so I can spot the required changes easily. On small trailers you may need to add a marker on a pole to extend far enough over to be seen in the mirrors.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Seems as if this is not a question for you at all
I'm not sure I follow.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
What is it the makes short trailers difficult to back?

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow.

don’t worry it’s illogical and no correlation.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I once sold a trailer to 2 women that had never backed a trailer. I told them that every time they go to back into a site there will be guys watching them. Just get out a ask them to help back their trailer in. They went on a all summer tour and said it worked every time.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow.
You pose your question and in less than 5 minutes you supply the answer with a video shows how geometry impacts backing. Geometry makes the short trailers more sensitive to changes in steering angle.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
What is it that makes a trailer more or less difficult to back. Is it the distance form the ball to the trailer axle? Does width play a part? So maybe the distance from the ball to the wheel?
I have a 9' motorcycle trailer which probably measures 6' from the coupler to the axle. I towed it with a motorhome having a large rear overhang, probably 12' from the axle to the ball.
That setup would jackknife just looking at it.
Yes, all the distances effect the backing. Long trailers don't get off track as fast as short trailers do. Long overhangs in the tow vehicle move the ball sideways more than short overhangs. That's why fifth wheels are easier to back.
The best advice is always, "Go slow, don't be afraid to pull forward and try again".
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
Port Hueneme , California
Kim06, did you ever drive from Greyhound? That was one of our training mantras GOAL.
buttnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Now that we all understand why a short trailer is harder to back, here's a tip for folks just learning.

Do the "scoop." The straighter the trailer is to the parking spot the easier it is to get it in there. You'll still have to remember basic steering skills, but this technique will go a long way to getting the job done.
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
What is it that makes a trailer more or less difficult to back....

The size of the gallery of people watching you try to back up is directly related to how difficult it is to back up accurately and without do-overs

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The size of the gallery of people watching you try to back up is directly related to how difficult it is to back up accurately and without do-overs
It's entertainment value. You get a lawn chair, favorite adult beverage, pick a good viewing angle next to a half dozen strangers and you make friends while adding mental english on the 3-axle trailer trying to back into a very tight CG spot.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Peter- an interesting thread. We pulled into a campground in Tennessee late one night and an old timer who was part of the staff, had a very interesting approach. He had me go full left or full right for only about a few inches, and then straighten out and go a certain distance. Maybe your next thread ought to be how to get your significant other to back in with your directions. Seems like the person who can see best should direct the backing in the dark. I'm an old farm kid and does well in the daylight, but I think it's the overhang past the trunion that makes it interesting in the long trailers. Jerry
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote