Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Countryboy I understand your advocacy of the big 3, with you being from Motown area. My dad was retired from one of the steel mills in northern Indiana. I earned college tuition working summers in the mills myself.

For many years I was loathe to even consider buying a foreign car. But after separate cases of being screwed by 3 domestic automakers I came to the conclusion they didn’t give a #!&$## about me, so why should I have loyalty to them?

From then on I decided I was going to shop for the best value, seeing that I’m not independently wealthy. Sales figures don’t mean a thing to me. Reliability, durability and value do. That’s why I seem to gravitate to Toyota.

There you have it.
I get that. And my current truck wasn’t even built here. I always buy used so initial quality is less important to me than durability. Where it’s built doesn’t matter either since the money I pay goes right into the seller’s pocket. The heavier duty stuff just wears better. Toyota doesn’t make a heavy duty truck so they’re not in the running for me. I don’t deal with dealers or OEMs so I’m not sure whether they “give a #%€*” about me” but if you think any OEM does you’re kidding yourself.

No matter how pretty JD Power says it is when new, the roads here are the best test. The heavier duty stuff just wears better. Judging by what I see doing most of the towing I made the right call.

PS: this is a fun thread!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I get that. And my current truck wasn’t even built here. I always buy used so initial quality is less important to me than durability. Where it’s built doesn’t matter either since the money I pay goes right into the seller’s pocket. The heavier duty stuff just wears better. Toyota doesn’t make a heavy duty truck so they’re not in the running for me. I don’t deal with dealers or OEMs so I’m not sure whether they “give a #%€*” about me” but if you think any OEM does you’re kidding yourself.

No matter how pretty JD Power says it is when new, the roads here are the best test. The heavier duty stuff just wears better. Judging by what I see doing most of the towing I made the right call.

PS: this is a fun thread!
Sierra 1500 is heavier duty than Tundra? Recall that was the OP’S original question. By the way you can look at consumer report and evaluate used car/truck reliability going back several model years. The reports look good for Tundra. This is not initial quality.

I buy used as well. The last new car I bought was a 1996 Mustang GT Conv. Still have it. The car is a lot of fun in spite of the fact it has suffered multiple significant failures. Hopefully all the demons have been exorcised by now 😀 I upgraded the shifter, intake, and exhaust (cat back) besides fixing the failures. It’s a toy.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Sierra 1500 is heavier duty than Tundra? Recall that was the OP’S original question. By the way you can look at consumer report and evaluate used car/truck reliability going back several model years. The reports look good for Tundra. This is not initial quality.

I buy used as well. The last new car I bought was a 1996 Mustang GT Conv. Still have it. The car is a lot of fun in spite of the fact it has suffered multiple significant failures. Hopefully all the demons have been exorcised by now 😀 I upgraded the shifter, intake, and exhaust (cat back) besides fixing the failures. It’s a toy.
I meant they don’t make an HD, like the Sierra 2500. The OP mentioned he considered a Duramax.

The Dodge admittedly doesn’t have the best record, but I bought it strictly for the Cummins engine.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #144
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I meant they don’t make an HD, like the Sierra 2500. The OP mentioned he considered a Duramax.

The Dodge admittedly doesn’t have the best record, but I bought it strictly for the Cummins engine.
I read that he was considering a 1500 Sierra, but that he had towed with a Duramax and liked the built in trailer brake controller.

Agree on the Ram. I like the engine. Just not the truck it comes in.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Time for a new TV - Tundra or Sierra?

I’m still waiting for Toyota to put a diesel in a truck in the US. If they do that, it’s the best of both worlds IMHO. Toyota reliability and a very strong power plant. It’s been a rumored combo for a long time, and was supposed to be tested last year, but nothing yet.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #146
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I’m still waiting for Toyota to put a diesel in a truck in the US. If they do that, it’s the best of both worlds IMHO. Toyota reliability and a very strong power plant. It’s been a rumored combo for a long time, and was supposed to be tested last year, but nothing yet.
There you have it; the long remembered, much loved Toyota 2.4L diesels, and my Hino based 3.4L Toyota Landcruiser diesels. They were dead nuts simple and reliable as hell.

Unfortunately I don't see Toyota bringing a diesel into NA; not ever. The price difference between gas and diesel now, extra complexity for certification and dealership technician certification costs, make it much too expensive for the low demand of very expensive diesels already in the market. Nissan is already having a time of it just selling what diesel Titans they can.

It isn't going to happen.....

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #147
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Toyota was selling diesel passenger cars in Europe but announced this year that they would phase out diesels there during 2018. Sales had fallen from 30% share of Toyota sales to 15%, since 2012. That is a small sales volume base to amortize diesel development costs over.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. All of that is why I’m not holding my breath on getting a new Toyota truck with a Diesel engine. I’ll probably just have to let DW buy us a new Tundra when we fully retire.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #149
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
This was at a local Toyota Dealer here in Te

Engine and performance of the 2019 Toyota Tundra Diesel (Dec 2018)

If the latest news appears to be true, the 2019 Toyota Tundra will finally receive a diesel powertrain under its hood. It will most likely be the same diesel engine which powers the Nissan Titan, but modified by Toyota.

It is a 5.0-liter V-8 Cummins engine which is able to deliver 325 horses and the torque of 575 pound-feet. However, it is still not confirmed whether the engine will work with a Toyota 8-speed or a new Lexus designed 10-speed automatic transmission.

Overall, the Toyota plan is to offer the Tundra in three engine versions. The first is a 4.6-liter V-8 with the output of 310 hp and 327 pound-feet of torque. The second option will be 5.7-liter V-8 which will produce 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. Third option is the Diesel version, to be only offered in the Luxury models of the Tundra.

Furthermore, it will be available with 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive systems.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #150
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
This was at a local Toyota Dealer here in Te

Engine and performance of the 2019 Toyota Tundra Diesel (Dec 2018)

If the latest news appears to be true, the 2019 Toyota Tundra will finally receive a diesel powertrain under its hood. It will most likely be the same diesel engine which powers the Nissan Titan, but modified by Toyota.

It is a 5.0-liter V-8 Cummins engine which is able to deliver 325 horses and the torque of 575 pound-feet. However, it is still not confirmed whether the engine will work with a Toyota 8-speed or a new Lexus designed 10-speed automatic transmission.

Overall, the Toyota plan is to offer the Tundra in three engine versions. The first is a 4.6-liter V-8 with the output of 310 hp and 327 pound-feet of torque. The second option will be 5.7-liter V-8 which will produce 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. Third option is the Diesel version, to be only offered in the Luxury models of the Tundra.

Furthermore, it will be available with 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive systems.

Okay, my bad, I'm wrong; but it's NOT a Toyota diesel; and I think they're crazy for selling the same engine as everyone else.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #151
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Well, this is all the talk here in Texas, especially at local Toyota dealerships, but so far not a single person has actually seen this elusive Toyota Tundra Diesel. Tricky Toyota or what? But there are so many specifics, it must be close to being released soon.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #152
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
That Cummins Tundra tale has been circulating around for about 5 years.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #153
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Okay, maybe not my bad as it seems they have been taliking about this truck for a while.......so don't hold your breath.

The below clip was dated 2014.

Toyota's Tundra large pickup is set to go diesel. According to a WardsAuto forecast, the Tundra will get a 5.0L turbodiesel V-8 from engine-maker Cummins, likely when the next-generation Tundra debuts in 2016.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 12-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Wow, 16 pages of sage advice from one post!

On a related note, what brand oil would be best for the new truck?
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlldvd View Post

😱 OMG here we go again
Old 12-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Time for a new TV - Tundra or Sierra?

Don’t count on ever seeing a diesel motor in a tundra - and the next gen tundra is rumored to hit in 2020 or 2021, not 2019.

Way more likely to see hybrid in the next tundra than diesel. Toyota is actually phasing our diesel in 2018 - 2019 in Europe. Hard to believe they would bring it here in the face of the ever increasing regulations surrounding diesel here in the states.......
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #157
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Gas stop yesterday had unleaded regular at $1.84, diesel at $2.96. If it keeps going this way, it’ll be difficult to sell any diesels in passenger type vehicles.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #158
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlldvd View Post

Use any oil you want....just don't use Fram oil filters.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 12-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
Don’t count on ever seeing a diesel motor in a tundra - and the next gen tundra is rumored to hit in 2020 or 2021, not 2019.

Way more likely to see hybrid in the next tundra than diesel. Toyota is actually phasing our diesel in 2018 - 2019 in Europe. Hard to believe they would bring it here in the face of the ever increasing regulations surrounding diesel here in the states.......
I have always felt that hybrid technology would be good for a tow vehicle. Low end torque, dynamic braking and better economy. However Toyota would have to develop a new hybrid platform powerful enough for the application. I’m not sure they’d ever recoup the investment.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD 5.O CUMMINS DIESEL.
Also available in gas version
5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
3/4 ton Pick up
555 torque
6 speed Aisian transmission

2080 payload
12,300 pound tow
Every convenience and option none to man.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote