Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #121
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Hartford , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
What year and what engine?
2001 SR5 Access cab 4.7l V8
basecampbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #122
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Lol I had a 1969 Toyota in school. And I don’t work for an OEM. Thanks for the slur though; I am Italian. �� my Corona was a rear wheel drive, manual transmission four cylinder car.

They were always, and still are, a distant fourth or fifth or they would sell better than they do.
Cool! Not too many people even know what a Toyota Corona is! Mine was a very tired, well used and abused 1972 Toyota Corona MarkII Coupe; red with a white vinyl roof, quad headlamps, RWD, 2.0L IIRC, with bucket seats and console.

I especially like the Toyota Corona/Crown station wagons; now they are very cool.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:16 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Toyota Memories

Greetings Sidekick Tony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Cool! Not too many people even know what a Toyota Corona is! Mine was a very tired, well used and abused 1972 Toyota Corona MarkII Coupe; red with a white vinyl roof, quad headlamps, RWD, 2.0L IIRC, with bucket seats and console.

I especially like the Toyota Corona/Crown station wagons; now they are very cool.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
I, too, fondly remember my 1979 Toyota Corona Limited Edition Liftback -- it had a black metallic paint that was available only on the LE model along with a black and maroon woven velour interior. I prized that car, but it was totaled when rear-ended by a semi near Columbia, MO in 1985. My father worked for a Toyota dealership so I remember many of the 1970s era Toyotas -- Crown, Carina, Corolla, Corona, Corona MK II, Celica, HiLux Pickup, Land Cruiser Station Wagon, Land Cruiser FJ . . . . etc.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
The Crowns in Japan had larger engines as I recall. Seemed like a larger car than my Corona. I also had the 2.0 engine. Most US sedans back then (early 80s) were crappy FWD and automatic transmissions. It was unusual to have a sedan with a manual.

My car had Air Force Base stickers from somewhere out west and may have been brought from a base overseas; I don’t exactly remember. I definitely had the only one in Detroit at that time ��
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #125
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
The Crowns in Japan had larger engines as I recall. Seemed like a larger car than my Corona. I also had the 2.0 engine. Most US sedans back then (early 80s) were crappy FWD and automatic transmissions. It was unusual to have a sedan with a manual.

My car had Air Force Base stickers from somewhere out west and may have been brought from a base overseas; I don’t exactly remember. I definitely had the only one in Detroit at that time ��
Yes, the Crowns had 2.5l V6's.....occassionally I do see one or two Crown stationwagons for sale here in the US. It's the front ends that I just love looking at for original wacky Japanese styling.

Happy Xmas
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Lol I had a 1969 Toyota in school. And I don’t work for an OEM. Thanks for the slur though; I am Italian. �� my Corona was a rear wheel drive, manual transmission four cylinder car.

They were always, and still are, a distant fourth or fifth or they would sell better than they do.
No slur. Just messing with you. I like spaghetti and love Italian food in general.

Merry Christmas to you!
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
SOO why not fix the bad brake line and keep the 03 with 95K miles on and save 15K.. It will however make a nice truck to sell for probably close to what you paid for it. or as a underpriced trade in unit. Now is the time to get a nice 2018 end of year deal.. they are ads in my area at 15K off list or better..

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
So we have a 03 F-150 currently with 95k on it. I decided we need a new truck when the brakes went out while towing our 25ft classic. We were coming off the highway when they went out. Only thing that saved us was the brakes on the trailer. That has been the only time that I've really been shook up while pulling. Ended up the hydraulic line running to the rear had been rubbing on the frame all these years and finally broke. Lost all pressure. Peddle went all the way to the floor.

I've really been looking at the 1/2 ton 2018 sierra. I really like the looks of it. And I've towed with my dads 2015 duramax. I fell in love with the built in trailer brake control.

I stopped by the Toyota dealer tonight. The new tundra isn't bad either. And we have had good luck with our Camry.

Anyone tow with both? How does the built in trailer brake compare?
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
There is no such thing as too much money, or too much horsepower.....I like my 17 ram with the 6.7 cumalong.....it pulls our 13 31’ Classic just fine...our gross is around 17,500 lbs...we have passes out here...i am not going up hill with the flashers on..not going to happen.....with my big truck or my ram.....big gas’s engines? I don’t think they build them anymore...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
There is no such thing as too much money, or too much horsepower.....I like my 17 ram with the 6.7 cumalong.....it pulls our 13 31’ Classic just fine...our gross is around 17,500 lbs...we have passes out here...i am not going up hill with the flashers on..not going to happen.....with my big truck or my ram.....big gas’s engines? I don’t think they build them anymore...
For the 2017 model year, practically all the gassers had as much, or more HP than your '17 ram 6.7. They are all beasts.

Cummins 6.7 - 385hp
Ram 5.7 gasser - 383hp
Ram 6.4 gasser - 410hp
Tundra - 381hp

There's no flashing lights necessary here. Anything with close to 400hp, regardless of gas or diesel, will be hauling the mail. It's not the vehicle if one can't maintain speed with that kind of power.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
It seems like the diesel crowd can’t help themselves. Why would I want to spend 65000 on a truck. $ more per gallon. Deal with DEF. $100 oil changes. And not need it. My F150 ecoboost does just fine.

Comfort and S-A-F-E-T-Y are in the eyes or "seat" of the beholder ... YMMV, but we are all entitled to our own priorities from personal experiences. The terrain where you utilize the vehicle is a significant factor ... flatlands vs mountains ... ... just the diesel crowd helping ourselves.
What works just fine for you may not work "just fine" for others; I know that we tried the 150 choice, but have voted with our checkbook on a different option... believe me - we are on our third AS and they have a terrible depreciation curve .... call it throwing money away -from your perspective-if you want; but we like the choices available to us... in both RVs and TVs ...operating costs vary by model whether diesel or gas...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Comfort and S-A-F-E-T-Y are in the eyes or "seat" of the beholder ... YMMV, but we are all entitled to our own priorities from personal experiences. The terrain where you utilize the vehicle is a significant factor ... flatlands vs mountains ... ... just the diesel crowd helping ourselves.
What works just fine for you may not work "just fine" for others; I know that we tried the 150 choice, but have voted with our checkbook on a different option... believe me - we are on our third AS and they have a terrible depreciation curve .... call it throwing money away -from your perspective-if you want; but we like the choices available to us... in both RVs and TVs ...operating costs vary by model whether diesel or gas...
The OP was asking about a Tundra vs a Sierra to tow a 25’ classic. So instead the people that have diesels start in. Neither a Tundra or a Sierra are diesels. And both the Tundra or Sierra are very common tow vehicles for an AS.

As you have said, and I have said, it is a matter of preference, where you tow, and how often you tow. But not really helping the OP trying to decide between a Tundra and Sierra to talk about a diesel or a 3/4 ton. They probably have some very good reasons for not wanting a diesel or a 3/4 ton. And it appears they have some experience since they have towed an AS for some time.

It seems like every time a tow vehicle thread starts it comes back to the same argument over and over again. It’s like kids on the street “my dad is stronger than your dad.”

Maybe for once we think about what the OP is asking about and respond within those parameters.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #132
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our 2007 Tundra with 5.7 L. engine (with timing chain) is at 126,000 miles and runs like new. Rebuilt most of brakes two years ago (towing is hard on brakes), had to have wiring harness replaced because the soybean insulation is easy to mice and rates, one part of exhaust replaced—that's it. Well, someone creased the front bumper in a parking lot and I managed the back on against a retaining wall, but can't blame that on Toyota.

We've had 9 Toyotas. They are excellent, reliable and a bit dull.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Well said Daquenzer. The diesel HD contingent literally can't help themselves from trying to spread their religion. Worse still, they state misunderstood opinions and beliefs as facts.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I’ll stick to the reliability and comfort I get from Toyota, since that’s what my DW wants to ride in.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Who really cares? Drive and tow with what you want.

I thought this group was better than the truck brand mine is the best nonsense.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
The OP was asking about a Tundra vs a Sierra to tow a 25’ classic. So instead the people that have diesels start in. Neither a Tundra or a Sierra are diesels. And both the Tundra or Sierra are very common tow vehicles for an AS.

As you have said, and I have said, it is a matter of preference, where you tow, and how often you tow. But not really helping the OP trying to decide between a Tundra and Sierra to talk about a diesel or a 3/4 ton. They probably have some very good reasons for not wanting a diesel or a 3/4 ton. And it appears they have some experience since they have towed an AS for some time.

It seems like every time a tow vehicle thread starts it comes back to the same argument over and over again. It’s like kids on the street “my dad is stronger than your dad.”

Maybe for once we think about what the OP is asking about and respond within those parameters.
The Sierra is available and regular and HD (diesel) versions. But thanks for the guidance.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
The Sierra is available and regular and HD (diesel) versions. But thanks for the guidance.
Countryboy I understand your advocacy of the big 3, with you being from Motown area. My dad was retired from one of the steel mills in northern Indiana. I earned college tuition working summers in the mills myself.

For many years I was loathe to even consider buying a foreign car. But after separate cases of being screwed by 3 domestic automakers I came to the conclusion they didn’t give a #!&$## about me, so why should I have loyalty to them?

From then on I decided I was going to shop for the best value, seeing that I’m not independently wealthy. Sales figures don’t mean a thing to me. Reliability, durability and value do. That’s why I seem to gravitate to Toyota.

There you have it.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #138
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
KK4YZ, I feel exactly the same way. I was a loyal “buy American” car and truck guy forever. Went through several fords, all had issues. I’m sure the big three are making better vehicles now than in the late 70s, 80s and 90s. However, I’ve had 100% success with Toyota for the last 15-20 years. I just don’t want to go back.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #139
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
SOO why not fix the bad brake line and keep the 03 with 95K miles on and save 15K.. It will however make a nice truck to sell for probably close to what you paid for it. or as a underpriced trade in unit. Now is the time to get a nice 2018 end of year deal.. they are ads in my area at 15K off list or better..
fix the one you have........save tons of $$$$$
Im driving a 1993 cummins, today that truck is 70,000 $

my 2 cents...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4313 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	330354  
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTER TAXES View Post
fix the one you have........save tons of $$$$$
Im driving a 1993 cummins, today that truck is 70,000 $

my 2 cents...
There is a lot of wisdom to that advice unless you’re just itching for something new.

If your current truck is otherwise solid, repairing and moving on is the most economical option by far.