Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
But you might click on a thread topic that intrests you only to find 15 pages of blocked content. Lol.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #202
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Yet some understand torque in ways you've not experienced.

jcl explained it well. What you enjoy is torque reserve in gear. With the gas pedal allowing you to conjur up a very large bandwidth of torque without shifting. Which also means large HP bandwidth in gear.

Torque is not a diesel only game. EV's have this is spades. With even more torque at 0 RPM. And no transmission to bother with. I've owned and driven an EV for 6 years now. Blows diesel and gas out of the water. Where a diesel acts like a lumbering hippo moving around, EV's have the response, torque, and HP to best many ICE (internal combustion) powerplants. Now that is torque under foot.

I also happen to own a 650hp/650tq missile in my garage. Until you've experienced that kind of torque unladen, you really have no concept of what performance means.

So when I tow. I want performance. Diesel doesn't tickle my fancy here. It's a burdened cargo carrier with a bad ride to match. If you need to carry more cargo, I get it. An AS doesn't require that kind of tonnage. I want a cruise liner when I'm on vacation.
Happy New Year! WOW! 150 MW pressurized water reactor, 70,000 shaft HP main engine swinging a 35’ prop, 4000KW turbine generator, 11 sec street car that I built myself, 700 hrs as PIC of a complex aircraft and the list goes on and on and on. Most of this before you were even born.

I like EV technology but it is nowhere near this kind of HP/Torque or Speed:

Thanks for the laugh this morning, starts my year off right!

PS: I have no problem with what others tow with or drive, just misinformation.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Happy New Year! WOW! 150 MW pressurized water reactor, 70,000 shaft HP main engine swinging a 35’ prop, 4000KW turbine generator, 11 sec street car that I built myself, 700 hrs as PIC of a complex aircraft and the list goes on and on and on. Most of this before you were even born.

I like EV technology but it is nowhere near this kind of HP/Torque or Speed:

Thanks for the laugh this morning, starts my year off right!

PS: I have no problem with what others tow with or drive, just misinformation.
My kind of person. I likewise have time in tuning vehicles and PIC controllers in aircraft.

Tim the tool man said it best:
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #204
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
TV Old School

Best with torque and brakes - 2001 Dodge Cummins short bed six speed manual. Put the torque where you want it, downshift if you need it.
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Yes but it's not a tundra or a Sierra.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I, as well, have been reading this thread with interest as we will be going full time in about 16 month and currently have a 2003 7.3L diesel SD F-250. We are planning to go full time for about 2 year then come back, to hopefully, sell our paid for house, which will be rented to provide income, and try to upgrade the TV.

I love the look of the new Sierra 2500HD truck. The new fords are sharp as well.

My big delima is the price difference, at least in my area, between gas and diesel fuel.. We just dropped to 1.99 for ULR and diesel is dropped at 2.99,, (some places are still 3.20 with reg at 2.29) that is a fricken 1.00 difference.. which currently means for every fill up, 32 gallons, I am paying 32 dollars more..

Several years ago the difference was only .25 -.32 cent which made the "diesel engine overhead" more palatable.

NOW not so much so.

I have several large vans with gas engines so I am aware of the diesel vs gas power difference to a point.. 7.3L vs 5.4L so not a fair fight.

To me the issue with tundra is the payload in rated just a bit below a f-250 ford.

2019 trunda 2wd 7000 GVWR with 5.7L,

Ford f-250 with 6.2L Maximum Payload
7,640 lbs.
Maximum GVWR
14,000 lbs.

just in looking at this the tundra is a bit more than a 150 and smaller than a 250.

does that make sense??
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post

To me the issue with tundra is the payload in rated just a bit below a f-250 ford.

7,640 lbs.
Maximum GVWR
14,000 lbs.

just in looking at this the tundra is a bit more than a 150 and smaller than a 250.

does that make sense??
Im Not sure you’re comparing the right numbers. You have to subtract the truck weight from GVWR to get payload. My Tundra has a GVWR of 7200 (from memory so I could be off a little). The truck weighs 5700 lbs which leaves about 1500 lbs for payload approximately.
I’m not familiar with the f250 numbers but I’m pretty sure there’s a much bigger difference in payload over the Tundra than just a bit.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #208
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Just a suggestion you might want to look at the Nissan Titan XD.
My XD is gas but also available in Cummings Diesel.
It has a pay load of 2918
GVRW of 8600
CGRW of 19450
Curb weight 5682
Tow 12000
Plus a 60 month/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #209
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
As a Toyota and Lexus owner (and a number of other notorious European brands for my "toys" where I'm willing to put up with more incidental issues). Here's the salient graphs of why people are drawn to Toyota/Lexus brands. Some may say you get less. Others understand it as getting more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reliability.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	331325

Click image for larger version

Name:	reliability2.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	331326
Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
That’s a whole lot of data. You would think there would be more Toyotas on the road than anything else. But I’ll stick with the extra power and torque thank you. And apparently, so would most other truck guys.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Im Not sure you’re comparing the right numbers. You have to subtract the truck weight from GVWR to get payload. My Tundra has a GVWR of 7200 (from memory so I could be off a little). The truck weighs 5700 lbs which leaves about 1500 lbs for payload approximately.
I’m not familiar with the f250 numbers but I’m pretty sure there’s a much bigger difference in payload over the Tundra than just a bit.
Depends on options. Most 3/4T crews are 2200-3000 payload.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #212
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Do you know why Toyota trucks/suv's are painted green? It's so they can hide in the grass and watch the Mopar trucks go by....
Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #213
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That’s a whole lot of data. You would think there would be more Toyotas on the road than anything else. But I’ll stick with the extra power and torque thank you. And apparently, so would most other truck guys.
Quote:
Do you know why Toyota trucks/suv's are painted green? It's so they can hide in the grass and watch the Mopar trucks go by....
Walk quietly carry a big stick...

Colorful opinions. One see's what they want to see. Especially in their neck of the woods.

Engineers know reliability and durability is built in from the start. Not a anecdotal happenstance.

In an example of getting more where it counts, consider the rear diff ring gear diameter. Something that is clear cut and easy to understand. That is not an advertised "feature" like HP or Torque. Nor does it help in gas efficiency. Toyota, being conservative and putting durability and reliability first. It's an example that carries through the rest of the truck engineering.

Toyota Tundra - 10.5"
F150 - 9.75"
Nissan Titan XD - 9.84"
Nissan Titan - 8.5"
Old 01-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I really Love almost everything about my Tundra. It is a tool that I use in many ways every day. It was made about 80 miles from my house, it doesn’t have a bunch silly moving parts (automatic steps, mirrors, steering wheel, seats etc...), it is very reliable and is a very capable tow vehicle.

This is a can of worms debate. Good luck with your choice and may it serve you well, whatever you get.

PS... last I checked my truck was still not painted green.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:

Colorful opinions. One see's what they want to see. Especially in their neck of the woods.

Engineers know reliability and durability is built in from the start. Not a anecdotal happenstance.

In an example of getting more where it counts, consider the rear diff ring gear diameter. Something that is clear cut and easy to understand. That is not an advertised "feature" like HP or Torque. Nor does it help in gas efficiency. Toyota, being conservative and putting durability and reliability first. It's an example that carries through the rest of the truck engineering.

Toyota Tundra - 10.5"
F150 - 9.75"
Nissan Titan XD - 9.84"
Nissan Titan - 8.5"
Lots of ring gear failures happening in Sierras and F150s? I hadn’t heard.

Oops, I double posted. That’s OK, maybe worth saying twice. Maybe a comparison of rust protection or frame metal thickness would help. And include the two brands the OP mentioned.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:

Toyota Tundra - 10.5"
F150 - 9.75"
Nissan Titan XD - 9.84"
Nissan Titan - 8.5"
Lots of ring gear failures happening in Sierras and F150s? I hadn’t heard. You’d have to make a better case, for instance, if they stayed on the road longer, lasted longer, or had more power than the trusted brands. Fact is, I haven’t seen a single Toyota truck all week, in a place where a third of everything on the road is an import brand. Might be a good enough half ton but definitely not better than others or sales would show it. We’re not all stupid ya know.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #217
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Ummmm

Quote:

Toyota Tundra - 10.5"
F150 - 9.75"
Nissan Titan XD - 9.84"
Nissan Titan - 8.5"
Since you are an engineer, how do you get from ring gear size to reliability and durability? Are you now telling us that size matters? A lot of folks on this forum agree with this statement i'm sure. Might be time to take this offline.

P.S. Where are the ring gear numbers for Ram and GM? They seem to be missing for some reason.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #218
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Lots of ring gear failures happening in Sierras and F150s? I hadn’t heard. You’d have to make a better case, for instance, if they stayed on the road longer, lasted longer, or had more power than the trusted brands. Fact is, I haven’t seen a single Toyota truck all week, in a place where a third of everything on the road is an import brand. Might be a good enough half ton but definitely not better than others or sales would show it. We’re not all stupid ya know.
I'm posting objective data and information. That is what's called facts. You can interpret it as you wish. Most people would not interpret your anecdotal observations about not seeing whatever brand in your area as fact. That's called opinion and speculation.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #219
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
I, as well, have been reading this thread with interest as we will be going full time in about 16 month and currently have a 2003 7.3L diesel SD F-250. We are planning to go full time for about 2 year then come back, to hopefully, sell our paid for house, which will be rented to provide income, and try to upgrade the TV.

I love the look of the new Sierra 2500HD truck. The new fords are sharp as well.

My big delima is the price difference, at least in my area, between gas and diesel fuel.. We just dropped to 1.99 for ULR and diesel is dropped at 2.99,, (some places are still 3.20 with reg at 2.29) that is a fricken 1.00 difference.. which currently means for every fill up, 32 gallons, I am paying 32 dollars more..

Several years ago the difference was only .25 -.32 cent which made the "diesel engine overhead" more palatable.

NOW not so much so.

I have several large vans with gas engines so I am aware of the diesel vs gas power difference to a point.. 7.3L vs 5.4L so not a fair fight.

7,640 lbs.
Maximum GVWR
14,000 lbs.

does that make sense??
Payload and so-called tow capacity don’t apply.

1). Which is heavier? A 6,000-lb box trailer with slides on leaf-springs and floor four-feet off ground? Or any 6,000-lb Airstream?

2). Take any vehicle and load it to maximum weight per “Payload”. Get the scale tickets of empty versus loaded. Where’s the additional weight?

So start where it matters: What is the weight of gear which for safety reasons CANNOT be carried in the passenger cab or travel trailer?

Work from process of elimination. Real numbers.

A van would ALWAYS be a better choice than a pickup, for instance.

Same for IFS versus beam. Rack & pinion over sector gear. 2WD over 4WD. Safety first, utility second. Etc. THATS the comparison list that matters.

And as to value & performance, gasoline now has it over diesel in every respect.

For two people with too much junk (failure to get it nearly all into the trailer), a Dodge Durango is going to be superior as tow vehicle to anything above. Easier to live with as well.

Pack the trailer well (get rid of crap) and get a car. Best choice of all. Solo miles determine TV choice.

You have the chance to start with a clean sheet of paper, so do it. To go camping for extended periods is still only the need for extra clothing and food. Nothing else required. An otherwise empty car beats a loaded pickup by any measure.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #220
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Since you are an engineer, how do you get from ring gear size to reliability and durability? Are you now telling us that size matters? A lot of folks on this forum agree with this statement i'm sure. Might be time to take this offline.

P.S. Where are the ring gear numbers for Ram and GM? They seem to be missing for some reason.
Please, be my guest and use your google fu to dig up some information for us. I didn't have time to build a definitive list. Would be interesting!