Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2021, 03:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This post hits a very important issue, overheating tires. That can easily lead to a blowout. Not pretty on any trailer. Thank goodness I had read a lot of posts and had a lot of good advice before buying my first dinky twinkie.

I had about 500 total miles towing experience (in 2004) when a driver with a big SOB pulled in beside me at a rest stop and asked two questions not commonly heard today.
1) do they still make Airstreams?
2) is your husband around? I'm having some problems with my setup and would like to ask HIM for help.

I could see his tri-axle was dragging tail, and informed him that I was going on a three week trip by myself. His back tires were hot enough to brown marsallows. Almost burned my hand on one. He was using an F-350, with a hitch set up by the previous owner who must have used a station wagon - with an 5 inch RISE for the ball. Of course I had big wrenches (made an inappropriate "big tool" reference to embarrass the man), because we literally had to remove the ball and turn his riser upside down to make it hang low enough. How does a woman torque a ball to 300 lbs? Put both feet on the riser and pull like you're giving birth to triplets... and hope it is enough.

I advised the driver to stop at the nearest "Big Box" hardware store and buy two wrenches like mine, then check the ball at every stop. Also showed him how to grease his ball.... his wife couldn't stop laughing.

Took nearly 2 hours to get h re-hitched, and we did draw a bit of an audience, but in the end I knew he and his family would be quite a bit safer. He would be in control of the trailer instead of being beaten up by it. Six tires would be carrying the trailer's load rather than two makes a whole lot of difference.

The next day, I stopped at an Airstream dealer and watched a tow truck bring in an SOB that had rolled on an interstate. 2 adults, 4 kids and a 25 ft. SOB loaded to the top. They were MOVING and didn't want the expense of a moving van. How they all lived through the wreck I will never know.

I am not a fan of more government, but too many people start their "adventures" with no clue, and it's a coin flip whether they learn from nice supportive people or learn "by.accident."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
As others have noted level is best and 1" is acceptable. You need to understand that when the trailer is not level you put more weight on one of the axles (the wheels on the lower end). That means that one set of tires is possibly running way over the capacity rating. 5 inches could be the same as running the front (or back) wheels up on a 2 inch plank. That much drop if you loaded the trailer to do cause the suspension to drop 2 inches would be a serious overload (IMO)

JCW
Old 05-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
trailer electrical connection

Not to raise another safety concern without being asked to do so.. but here I go. I noticed in the photo that it appears your electric cable to the TV is secured using the clip on the pin for the hitch. I too was one who thought it best to keep the cable up off the road and protected from abrasion. The danger comes when the cable catches on something on the hitch or road debris which can actually pull the pin out of the coupler lock. We all want to think that the coupler lock will not pop open but they put a pin in there for a reason. They do pop open. IMHO I would suggest using some other point for securing the cable that is not tied to the coupler lock.
This is similar to the idea of not connecting your breakaway cable to the hitch head but rather to the TV directly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD hitch photo_LI.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	395363  

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #23
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Was out at the trailer today - took a pic. Within 1/2” inch level on 30’ trailer and within 1/2” level on the tow vehicle (rear end is 1/2” higher than the front on both TV and trailer - so a tiny back-to-front rake).

Healthy weight distribution and front end only comes up 1/4” with trailer attached and WD applied (6” on my propride towers).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2420.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	395500  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The other thing that leveling out the trailer gives you is better clearance under the rear bumper. Thumping that as you exit the gas station is not a good idea

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #25

2012 28' International
andalusia , Alabama
Ball drop

Just get a drop hitch from your truck.. I have that same hitch bought new in 2014, so not that old..
johnoalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
A guy from Dexter Axle gave a presentation at the Doswell rally. During that he commented that trailers with 2or 3 axles should be level to 1/2” high (front) to avoid excessive weight and wear on one of the axles.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #27

2012 28' International
andalusia , Alabama
Lots of people seem to thing you need a new wd hitch.. your truck and trailer, hitch still works, why replace something that is not brand new.. I am sure a lot of way older hitches are out on the road.. get the trailer level, and see how far it is to your connection on truck, then you know what size drop you need!!
johnoalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #28
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Two thoughts:

1. A comment was made that you can not back up with fr6ition bars. I need more advice on this matter.

2. I had to replace my WD system after I almost rolled our 30 foot classic on our last trip from Oregon to Flordia. These systems will wear out depending upon the miles placed on them.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #29
Rhode Islander

Currently Looking...
Arcadia , Florida
I had a F250 with a friction bar, and the 30 ft sovereign. From the point where it was loose enough to extend by hand, I added 1/ or 1 turn, it would not sway. Sometimes if I heard it complaining while backing up, I would get out and loosen the friction,but many times I found I had forgotten about it till I unhitched . If you hear an awful graining screeching when in a parking lot or backing up, it might just be the pivoting angle. Unless you are dragging the back bumper across a concrete wall ..
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The amount of noise out of your hitch also depends a bit on how well it has been lubed. Check your hitch owners manual for what to lube and how. Ours got a *lot* quieter after I read that manual

The same "needs lube" point also applies to wear and tear. Just how long one of these lasts is going to depend more than a little bit on how it was cared for.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote