Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

How level is level?

Re: MC16 Dometic gas only refrig.
It appears as with all of the appliances to be relitively unused and complete. It lights easily and I cleaned everything and adjusted the burner flame by the book.
I cannot get it to cool at all. I was able to check the level of it just before bed last night and found I am very close side to side and close but a little less close front to rear of the box (I am within the lines).

I will try to get it more level this evening.

How level is level? What else can it be?

RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
If it is like mine, it is an amonia refrigerator and if it has a pin jole leak the amonia is gone and it won't cool. See if there is any corosian on the coils in the back. These coils can repaired or replaced, but I did that and it only lasted a couple years. I ended up replacing the frig.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though level is more important with the older fridges, ditto what cooperhawk posted. Never saw this issue until my parents SOB Dometic sprung a leak. After the smell was gone, the unit seemed to operate as expected, yet no cool. I'm guessing that the ammonia in the system is purged and although there is a pretty blue flame, there is nothing to react with it.

Dad took his to a place that fixed it up in the U.P of MI. So far it's been 3 seasons of use since the repair and before that the orig unit lasted 22 years.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
There are several repair places on the web. I took mine to an old man in Minneapolis who was a retired farmer. He sat in his garage in his under shirt and soldered these things all day. He fixed it by cutting our and replacing a piece of the coil. A couple years later it sprang a leak in another place.

Here are a few:
http://www.rvfridge.com
http://www.nucold.com
http://www.rvcool.com

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Leaking units will operate normally in every sense except one.......they WON'T COOL. That is because there is no ammonia or hydrogen left in the cooling units.

In my experience, RV type refrigerators can NOT be repaired with any lasting success. The coolant in these is a VERY PRECISE mix of ammonia, hydrogen gas, water and an anti-corrosive called sodium chromate. It is the sodium chromate that you see when it leaks (yellow) and the ammonia that you smell. The only company I have found that can do that for you and that can replace the required refrigerant if Ford & Ford in KY. Still, prices are what should be the deciding factor. as well as warranty coverage.

If you have a leaking unit, you have 2 options: replace the cooling unit (entire back of the frig) or replace the entire frig. I've replaced at least a dozen cooling units in the last few months. It's not a really big deal! Just follow the instructions carefully.

The aftermarket companies sell cooling units for just about any Norcold or Dometic out there. The OEM units are VERY expensive.......50-75% of the cost of a new unit. It's a tough decision which way to go
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
... How level is level? ...
Richard,

Really close appears to be best. I asked this question at one point, and never figured out what was good enough.

I try to stay within a quarter bubble.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you can comfrotablely sleep on the bed then it is close enough. It doesn't have to be far off level to make sleeping uncomfortable.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
If you can comfrotablely sleep on the bed then it is close enough...
That assumes the refrigerator is plumb with the floor.

If it is a vintage trailer, one would be wise to check the freezer's bubble level with respect to how level the rest of the trailer feels.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote