Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Start on interior & hitting the road

Hi all - been out of contact for a bit. Just thought I'd mention what we're up to...

The interior begins....
Trading some of my jewelry work for the re-upholstering all of the cushions- sort of an avocado green. Since it's a '77 Argosy, and it has an orange countertop in perfect shape, a fair bit of aluminum painted as if wood, and a cream colored plastic walls and cabinets... we're just going to run with the 70's colors. We're getting carpet tiles from "Interface FLOR" - I'm hoping to post a pict in a second .... nope, can't grab the image from the site www.interfaceflor.com Using the orange/rasperry thick&thin carpet, if anyone feels like looking.

Anyone else dealt with this type of carpet? These are 19.5 x 19.5" tiles, using adhesive dots to lay them down. (we have the aluminum floor, btw) Seemed low maintenance, easily cleaned (good with two cats, two dogs, two people to take care of the former)

Side note - we'll be full time in our little 6 metre Argosy for the next four months... and yes, with all the critters....
MrSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
M & G,
Aren't you headed out this way soon? Believe it was going to be after the new year for a show of some kind. Drop me a note when you get into town. Love to hook up.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
M & G,
Aren't you headed out this way soon? Believe it was going to be after the new year for a show of some kind. Drop me a note when you get into town. Love to hook up.

FF
Hi FF -
We pull out Saturday the 1st, do the parental visitations enroute, and expect to be in AZ the 12th or before.

Send me email or PM with info - had a computer crash, so lost quite a bit. It would be great to have contact with someone whan we come out.

Matthew

P.S. - Tonto (National?) Park allows long term boondocking now... been thinking about that somewhat.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I hope that you can post some pictures soon. I like the orange raspberry. I'll be interested to see how the avacado blends in. The Flor is pretty interesting stuff. Wish there was a dealer nearby so I could get my hands on it. I am a touchy-feely sort.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

touchy feely

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
I hope that you can post some pictures soon. I like the orange raspberry. I'll be interested to see how the avacado blends in. The Flor is pretty interesting stuff. Wish there was a dealer nearby so I could get my hands on it. I am a touchy-feely sort.
Hi eljay-
From their website for a single $5.00 fee, you can order up to 8 samples... and I think you get a credit back if you order after that. (I really don't sell for them, just like the carpet and their eco/business ideas)

Gigi starts cleaning the camper soon - we'll try to get it cleaned up before we put the carpet down and put the cushions back in. I'll try to get some of the interior pics up as we go. As we picked it up, the gaucho and curtains were original, and the front dinette was, well, lets just say redone in what I would consider really bad, really bad fabric. Since it will be home, it had to go.

Matthew
Old 01-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Question the journey has started... a few problems...

Okay, finally on the road, two days late....

First real tow of the new baby - she's being towed by my wife, driving a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. No - I don't really like towing with any Jeep, but I think the Minuet is a pretty good fit. We went from western Mass. to just outside Pittsburgh, PA yesterday - horrible weather, but it went smoothly.

The problems:
1 - Getting a number of leaks. We were driving in hard rain, so it can't get worse, but can't really have this problem and be trying to make improvements. I think one of my seals on the front wrap around window may be the culprit, as well as the center front window. Also getting water up from the road a few different places, I have to work on some belly-pan seams, it seems . So what do I re-seal these windows with?

Problem - I can't get the pilot light on the furnace lit. I lit the stove, the fridge, the water heater, the oven.... no problems anywhere else. Not even a peep from the furnace. The manual valve underneath has been opened, closed, and everywhere in between (about 20 times... went through a large box of matches.) I can't hear the gas for the pilot, which I've been able to for everything else. Since this is the most important problem, I'll try to be clear: It's the manual lighting (match) furnace. I followed any and all directions - thermostat up with the gas off so the blower ran for 5 minutes. Gas on, reset button (plunger thing, really) pushed in... nada. Pushed in plunger for a few minutes, to clear lines. But I'm really not hearing anything, smelling anything (other than too many burnt out matches), nor is air in the lines blowing out the match. Supposedly this was all serviced at some point in the 6 months before I bought it.... any ideas? What/where would it be clogged?
The next two nights are still at the inlaws (Gigi's parents) so we'll be warm, (as far as I know!) - but we now head to Dallas after that. So warmth will be needed... so...HELP!!!

We're getting her cleaned up as we go, I assembled the gaucho to put back in today. Think I'm missing something... I'll put up pictures tomorrow...

I love this trailer. Problems and all, what a great way to start a new year.

Matthew
Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Start on interior & hitting the road

Greetings Matthew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew&Gigi
The problems:

1 - Getting a number of leaks. We were driving in hard rain, so it can't get worse, but can't really have this problem and be trying to make improvements. I think one of my seals on the front wrap around window may be the culprit, as well as the center front window. Also getting water up from the road a few different places, I have to work on some belly-pan seams, it seems . So what do I re-seal these windows with?
You might need new gaskets for the center operable window in front. Vulkem is often used for spot repairs on the weather seals of the wing windows. A stop-gap on the operable window may be to tighten the catches slightly to improve contact between the gasket and window frame. I don't think that you really want to seal seams in the bellypan as it is my understanding that it is desirable for moisture to be able to easily drain if it once gets into the bellypan. The wheel wells are most often a culprit in water infiltration. I would suspect the door gasket as well as fit of the entrance door as a potential for wind driven rain while towing - - it has been a periodic problem with my Minuet. If your Minuet is like mine, it will probably need to have every penetration through the roof re-sealed - - all of mine needed sealing especially the plumbing and refrigerator vent openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew&Gigi
Problem - I can't get the pilot light on the furnace lit. I lit the stove, the fridge, the water heater, the oven.... no problems anywhere else. Not even a peep from the furnace. The manual valve underneath has been opened, closed, and everywhere in between (about 20 times... went through a large box of matches.) I can't hear the gas for the pilot, which I've been able to for everything else. Since this is the most important problem, I'll try to be clear: It's the manual lighting (match) furnace. I followed any and all directions - thermostat up with the gas off so the blower ran for 5 minutes. Gas on, reset button (plunger thing, really) pushed in... nada. Pushed in plunger for a few minutes, to clear lines. But I'm really not hearing anything, smelling anything (other than too many burnt out matches), nor is air in the lines blowing out the match. Supposedly this was all serviced at some point in the 6 months before I bought it.... any ideas? What/where would it be clogged?
Matthew

I am still shocked that my Minuet's original furnace continues to operate. I know that prior to first use, my dealer's service department thoroughly cleaned and inspected the unit - - it needed a thorough cleaning. If the date of the furnace's last cleaning is unknown that would be my first suggestion - - have an RV technician inspect/clean/service the furnace. I do know that I have never been able to light my Minuet's furnace with a match - - I always use a camp-stove lighter and hold the flame in the pilot area for a minute or more.

Another thought is you LP regulator. This has been an issue with both of my coaches when I first put them into use. The furnace and/or the water heater were the first to indicate that there was a pressure issue by becoming temperamental.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
So what do I re-seal these windows with?
ASForums has frequently discussed replacing old, inflexible weatherstripping on operable windows. It will be difficult to find what you need and do it reasonably with your timetable. Good winter project... wait! You have winter!!

My Argosy had floor rot under the water tank behind the gaucho. The cause was failed seals around the curved window, principally between that window's retaining rim and the vertical post at the sides of the middle, operable window. With the internal aluminum panels off and insulation out I could just watch the water stream in when it rained. It took some fine dental instruments and a lot of patience to pick out the crumbled dry caulk from the outside. The curved window's vertical retaining rim closest to the front post looks like it might come off separately, but it doesn't -- I tried it. I had to do some careful cleanout in a couple areas up against the glass too -- there were some visible minor openings in the plastic rim between the glass and metal that let some water in when I tested it.

Our ag 'fleet' stores have veterinary sections for farmers/ranchers that allowed me to walk in and purchase syringes. Some syringe barrels with needles removed might help you inject the appropriate SikaFlex-221 (I like that compared to Vulkem in this use because it will "set") -- it takes some force!! Luer-lock syringes would be difficult to use without modification. Syringes not intended for injection may be available at pharmacists? (..afraid a catheter syringe is way too big) Craft shops?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote