Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Question Installing vinyl inserts

I've tried the "search" but can't find the post about inserting the vinyl rub rail. I think I read that someone had used some type of screw or something to hold it in place. I look at mine and there doesn't seem to be anything holding it in place now. I have the new insert and want to put it in some sunny day. I also read that you should wait until it's warmer. If this vinyl shrinks when it gets cold, wouldn't it be better to install it when the weather is a little brisk and let it swell when it gets warm instead of installing when it's warm and shrink when it gets cold. Anyone who has actually installed this, help please.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Juel, on my Excella the wide vinyl trim is held at each end by a pop rivet through a small , blue-painted, aluminum plate, about 1 inch high by half an inch wide. I installed one end of the trim with a plate and rivet, and then ran the whole trim round by folding it in by hand, with assistance from a blunt screwdriver on the thin stiff insert. At the other end I cut it about an inch and a half too long, and let that piece stick out for a couple of weeks. After that time it had shrunk a little, so I trimmed it to length, and riveted in the second plate. No problems after two years. With the thin trim without the plates, I just left them overlength for a couple of weeks before trimming to length. Again, no more shrinkage.Nick.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
installation

we replaced the orange beltline insert on our argosy this fall. It was relatively easy to do. Reuse the tabs that hold the old stuff in. MAke sure rivets in the channel are in good shape - ours were fine. Wait until a warm day to work witht he vynl insert or it will be very stiff. It stretches when you put it in - leave extra on each end of each section - 4 inches or so. It will shrink over time - we left ours overnight before trimming and replacing metal tabs at the ends. You can do this job - it's not hard - just annoying.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Juel - how did your winterizing go?

Here are some pics of me this past summer as I added the rubrail and beltline inserts to our Minuet. I actually used my fingernail to insert (they are pretty strong), but my husband used a flatblade screwdriver and it went much faster. Also a pic of the endcap that goes over the vinyl after replacement. A rivet goes thru hole in endcap, thru vinyl and into trailer side to hold in place. The endcaps on our Minuet were only on the beltline, not on rubrail. The rubrail, we just used a rivet to hold vinyl. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubrail endcap.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	9745  
Attached Images

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thank you all for the help. I think I can do this. I wish Spring would come so I can get started. The winterizing went without a hitch I HOPE. We blew out the lines, added anti-freeze, pumped it through, then blew out the lines again and left all the drains open. I think this may be overkill in Oklahoma, but we're new at this. Thank you again. This sight is wonderful for the trailer challanged.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Thank you all for the help. I think I can do this. I wish Spring would come so I can get started. The winterizing went without a hitch I HOPE. We blew out the lines, added anti-freeze, pumped it through, then blew out the lines again and left all the drains open. I think this may be overkill in Oklahoma, but we're new at this. Thank you again. This sight is wonderful for the trailer challanged.
Next time just leave the antifreeze in the system till spring.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote