Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Angry Help!! Engine Won't Start!!

Every single time I go to start my 370le, it won't start! My battery goes dead (BOTH BATTERIES) and then . . . nothing.

I have deep-charged the auto battery, then tried starting it - it took a loooooong time (cranking the engine over and over) before it would FINALLY start. Then I drove it home. Plugged it up to my house and tried starting it the next day - NOTHING. The engine cranks and sounds like it is trying to turn over, but can't get that extra "push" it needs. Then it starts to get weaker and weaker sounding until it just freezes up, then the batteries (BOTH) drain completely down to nothing. So right now I can't even get it started. My neighbor is trying to jump start it with his truck - but NOTHING.

What is going on? I just had this airstream serviced by a mechanic who "says" he went over everything mechanically (new carbuerator, new alternator) and he did not mention to me anything about having trouble starting the coach.

I am at my wit's end!

Any ideas or suggestions?

-Emily
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Can you smell gas (flooded)?
Is it getting gas? Is it getting spark? Are the batteries good enough to hold a charge to start it (how long will they crank it)? With 2 batteries dead it will take some time to charge them before you can jump it, even with a big alternator.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Emily,
have your rear electrical fuel pump checked, if you haven't done it already.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Yes, I can smell gas - but it seemed to me that I need to pump in a lot of gas (the engine actually started after I put in a lot of gas about an hour ago with a big "BANG" - backfire? -) but I immediately shut it off because the bang scared the crap out of me. Then it wouldn't start again. I am aware of flooding the engine, but felt I needed to try something different, so more gas went in . . .

Peter, yes - I did ask to have the rear fuel pump checked out - first thing I asked the mechanic to do - but then again, there were a lot of subsequent items to do so I don't know if he forgot (I'll have to call him tomorrow on the fuel pump).

The auto battery is practically brand new (maufactured in FEB 2002). I deep-charged it overnight and it registered "fully charged" this morning.

Both batteries measured fully charged before I tried to start the engine. Then they just completely drained.

I will let you know about that fuel pump tomorrow. Hopefully it will start tonight as I have CC&R's homeowner rules and can only have it here one overnight at a time - today will be going on my second!

Wish me luck . . .
Old 11-03-2002, 03:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Fuel pump

Peter,

I did research quite a while ago (before I took physical possession of my 370le) on the Ford 460 engines and discovered, through an article on the RVer's OPEN FORUM website, that people had a lot of problems with the fuel pump in regards to the Ford 460 engine.

That article led me to specifically request that the mechanic check out the fuel pump - hopefully he did.

Thanks so much John & Peter for your ideas and suggestions!
Old 11-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Now what?

Okay. We got it to start . . . buuuuut, as soon as it turns over, it quits. Immediately.

We noticed three wires (green, yellow, red) kind of above and to the left of the distributor cap that are very loose, in fact the green one is jerry-rigged (sp?) so that it is barely connected to a metal cap (the copper-colored wires are wrapped around a metal cap) and that in turn is barely connected to where it's supposed to go. We also discovered that when this green wire is removed from its connection, then the engine won't turn over and sounds like it did before (never kicking in and running the battery down). When the green wire is connected back on, then the engine turns over but quits immediately - almost as if there is no gas to it (but when I pump the gas pedal, I smell gas and can "see" it) so I don't think it is not getting the fuel.

Any help would be appreciated . . .

-Emily
Old 11-03-2002, 10:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

If you have a 460, it sounds like the coil has gone. Definately not the "brain" or you wouldn't run at all. When they go "they go"! My coil went and it did just about the same thing. The "bang", to me, says electronics not fuel starvation. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, Oscar! I'll have the coil checked out as well, then.

When you say "electronics" - what do you mean by that?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Carb or fuel injection? If it is not running and you pump the accelerator will gas squirt out? 89 Ford I would have thought would be fuel injection and electronic ignition. The wiring should have also had connectors. Is there any way you can post a picture of the top of you engine with no air cleaner on it?

John
Old 11-04-2002, 08:29 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

It has a carbuerator. Yes, gas does pour out when I pump the accelerator. I will try to post pictures - I have a digital camera but don't know how to upload onto the computer yet.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Electronics....

Ignition module, coil, distributor. I had this happen to me once, check the distributor gear at the bottom of the shaft. The shear pin that holds the gear inplace may have bent or sheared, knocking the timing out. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Gas pours out when you pump the accelerator or 2 streams? Point or electronic igniton distributor? When it starts and you let the key go from cranking back to the regular ignition position does it stop immediately?

John
Old 11-04-2002, 05:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I am not sure about 2 streams (I think so). Not sure about the distributor. When it turns over - it just stops immediately - without going back to regular position.

I found out a vacuum hose is disconnected as well as a black wire - don't know where these go to.

I have a call in to the mechanic - he is out of town and has yet to call me back. Meanwhile, I am dodging the HOA.

Also - it's leaking oil onto the street - GRRRRRRRRRRREAT.

Ahhhhh, the joys of owning a used airstream (but I still think it's worth it - am I crazy or what?).
Old 11-04-2002, 05:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Talking

Quote:
Ahhhhh, the joys of owning a used airstream (but I still think it's worth it - am I crazy or what?).
You're not crazy, it's more like an illness. Think Mad Cow Disease - it's in your brain.

Let me quote Brett, "The medical term for the Airstream disease: Bauxite-itus, just like any other addiction more exposure is necessary to satify the craving. BTW it is incurable, once you have it you are hooked!"

Welcome to the club, you've come to the right place. At least you're among friends (or at least others contaminated with the same disease).
Old 11-04-2002, 05:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I think my husband is immuned to the disease. Or has the gene to resist it. He says he wants nothing to do with it (other than paying the bill to get it fixed).

Hmmm. I wonder if there is a vaccine - or an antidote (perhaps it is a poison?).
Old 11-04-2002, 06:16 PM   #16
Krazykraut

Death Batteries

Check your Battery posts, if they are hot, most likely your starter is dragging, amateur against the field
Old 11-04-2002, 06:21 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Emily, you can't fool us. We know you pulled some wire just to keep it at the house for a few days.
I want to second Silver Bullet on the distributor/ignition module guess.
The oil leak is another great discovery. An oil leak can be fixed easier than oil usage.
How is the interior coming along?
AIR #13
Old 11-04-2002, 09:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Peter,

My husband accused me of the very same thing . . . my son, his friend and I slept in it the first night - the bed was way comfy!

The interior is awesome! It is PERFECT. It is the only thing, I think, that keeps me going with this thing. I promise, I promise to post some pics as soon as this beast is up and running -

Speaking of which, I will mention the distributor/ignition module to Joe the mechanic - IF HE EVER CALLS (still waiting to hear from him).
Old 11-04-2002, 09:31 PM   #19
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by eraffety
..... I promise to post some pics as soon as this beast is up and running.........
Within that sentence is the explanation of all your problems! The beast ! Emily, no wonder he treats you like that.
I just read an ad for another 1989 370LE for sale. The seller claims with documentation that only 33 beasts like yours were built.
AIR #13
Old 11-04-2002, 09:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I say "beast" with great affection, Peter. I have to - I am committed to it (or else my husband will say, "I told you so"!)

Besides - ever see that Ikea commercial with the lamp being dumped outside in the cold, dark rain while the newly purchased lamp is coddled inside nice and dry and warm? What did that guy say about inanimate objects?

Anyways, my beast is comatose right now (although I hear those who are can often hear what you are saying . . . hmmmm).

My apologies to anyone who is comatose - that comment was strictly meant for humor - not to insult.