Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Traveler > 1959 Traveler
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #121
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
look for it , too, overseas, in the north of France & Belgium where I'm driving all days.
An A/S is unusual on the roads , here... and i've the tiger eye....

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
Sorry to hear about your loss. I am traveling from AZ to NorCal and will keep an eye out.

Had a couple of ideas...
See if you can contact Craigslist and report what has happened. If someone tries to post and they catch it, maybe they will alert you.
Also, I noticed on the Vancouver C'list page, someone has a "wanted" ad for an Airstream, 16ft or less. Perhaps you can look at various cities and email these folks too. If someone contacts them trying to sell yours, they can contact you before purchasing a stolen trailer.

Good luck.
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
If at all possible you might want to join other RV forums and see if they will post a picture of your trailer. You took great pics of the trailer and if I was to ever to see it on the road I would be able to spot it immediately. If these sleaze balls sell it then who ever buys it will be unaware it is stolen and will want to take it camping. It will show up sooner or later. I would not just concentrate on Europe. There is a lot of money all over the world.

I want you to get your trailer back. I wish you had another Airstream or Spartan to work on just to keep your mind off of this one. You did a great job on the stolen trailer so I know you could do another airstream. If you do another airstream and yours turns up then you will have two.

I am kind of toying with idea of getting another one. SHHHH! don't tell my wife. She would say no until she saw it then she would be all over it.

Brian
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #124
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
r&k ~

Hearing of this just aggravates me to the core. I am so sorry for your loos. The &%*? folks that stole it better hope the cops find them first. I'll be keeping my eyes open around here.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullairtime View Post

Also, I noticed on the Vancouver C'list page, someone has a "wanted" ad for an Airstream, 16ft or less. Perhaps you can look at various cities and email these folks too. If someone contacts them trying to sell yours, they can contact you before purchasing a stolen trailer.

Good luck.
We've been in contact with her.

As we've found wanted ads on Craigslist, we've been sending emails letting them know of our situation. So far all of the people with want ads have been gracious in offering to contact us should someone approach them with our trailer. The jaxed and crazedlist applications for searching Craigslists nationwide have been extremely helpful.

You may have noticed the little ad on the portal page linking to this thread. Janet put that together for us. THANK YOU!

Katie
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
You may have noticed the little ad on the portal page linking to this thread. Janet put that together for us. THANK YOU!
Ditto that!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
We've been in contact with her.

As we've found wanted ads on Craigslist, we've been sending emails letting them know of our situation. So far all of the people with want ads have been gracious in offering to contact us should someone approach them with our trailer. The jaxed and crazedlist applications for searching Craigslists nationwide have been extremely helpful.

Katie
There is another multi-search tool called Craigslist Helper.

Craig's Helper - Search Craigslist Quickly and Easily

I'm not as fond of the interface as I am for Crazedlist, but for some reason, Craigslist Helper sometimes seems to pick up listings that Crazedlist misses. Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #128
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Gee, I live in Seattle to so I had better look for additional security, not that mine is as cherry as yours. Sorry to here that, I too will keep an eye out, eBAY too
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Another idea for you....YOU Could post ad up and down the western half of the US saying that yorue looking for a nice condition vintage unit(whether it be an AS or something else) ...mention that you have $15k to spend...you never know who's reading the ads...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I don't think they're that stupid; monitoring this site might tip them off that this coach can never be sold; they never thought about the power of the forum. I'd say," walk away from it, make a call, get a day job like the rest of us had to do ."
Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #131
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Operating from the premise that most thieves are dumb, as previously stated, they could have left the hitch lock on and towed it with a chain. If they cut off the hitch lock, more likely in their haste they would have left the parts on the ground (did you find them?).

The first and every time they put on the brakes, the tongue would probably have hit the back of whatever they were towing it with. If it was hidden locally, a car or truck with tongue marks on the rear might be a clue.

The "scraping" noise may have been the chain dragging, or the noise of the trailer tongue hitting the tow vehicle. If they left the stabilizers down, they would be slowed down. Were there scrape marks on the ground? If they towed with a chain, some of the stabilizers would dig a big gouge as one end of the trailer would be lower. If they didn't raise them, I would think there would be a trail of broken stabilizers, and since there's no mention of that as I recall, I expect they had a wrench of some sort to raise them a few inches. Being in a hurry, they would probably only raise them a little. If there's a dip nearby on the escape route, there may be scrape marks there from stabilizers that were only raised a few inches. It could tell you which way they went.

You've probably thought of all this, but just in case.

Good luck,

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
If there's a dip nearby on the escape route, there may be scrape marks there from stabilizers that were only raised a few inches. It could tell you which way they went.
Good for you, Gene. As I posted, there are only four ways out of there; and the ferry boat would have not been a option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5299.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	72676  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
That's horrible. She's a beauty. Will be praying you find her.
coltmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #134
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
would that trailer fit in a container?

Once in a container it is out of sight and could be sent anywhere in the world.

Some countries require no title of bill of sale.

I feel sorry for the thieves, for this group is very tenacious and that trailer will be very easy to spot.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
...I feel sorry for the thieves, for this group is very tenacious and that trailer will be very easy to spot.
Not me-I hope Dirty Harry finds 'em! You feel lucky, punks?
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #136
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Craig's Pal

free national search. Good luck
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
These are all excellent ideas! I think we have us our very own Colombo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Operating from the premise that most thieves are dumb, as previously stated, they could have left the hitch lock on and towed it with a chain. If they cut off the hitch lock, more likely in their haste they would have left the parts on the ground (did you find them?).

The first and every time they put on the brakes, the tongue would probably have hit the back of whatever they were towing it with. If it was hidden locally, a car or truck with tongue marks on the rear might be a clue.

The "scraping" noise may have been the chain dragging, or the noise of the trailer tongue hitting the tow vehicle. If they left the stabilizers down, they would be slowed down. Were there scrape marks on the ground? If they towed with a chain, some of the stabilizers would dig a big gouge as one end of the trailer would be lower. If they didn't raise them, I would think there would be a trail of broken stabilizers, and since there's no mention of that as I recall, I expect they had a wrench of some sort to raise them a few inches. Being in a hurry, they would probably only raise them a little. If there's a dip nearby on the escape route, there may be scrape marks there from stabilizers that were only raised a few inches. It could tell you which way they went.

You've probably thought of all this, but just in case.

Good luck,

Gene
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I'd like to see some pics of the scrape marks; might help you trailer types if this happens to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	72737  
Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #139
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

I feel sorry for the thieves, for this group is very tenacious and that trailer will be very easy to spot.
I guess I should have said that the keen eye of this group will have them spotted for sure and that when they are spotted the tar might not feel as good as the feathers....

sorry to whoever. Apparently I offended someone by the first statement. Using "feel sorry for" was read as "good going" I seem to offend a lot. I should just refrain from all commentary. To whoever sorry.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #140
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
I guess I should have said that the keen eye of this group will have them spotted for sure and that when they are spotted the tar might not feel as good as the feathers....

sorry to whoever. Apparently I offended someone by the first statement. Using "feel sorry for" was read as "good going" I seem to offend a lot. I should just refrain from all commentary. To whoever sorry.
As a ex cop, ex- military cop, I agree to a point. Call us at 911; we'll take care of it, and can't wait for you to find the slimeballs; don't take the law in your own hands, though.