Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
You know, when you stop to think about it, as rare as a shiny antique Airstream is, it would be awfully difficult to take it very far before it was noticed. Notwithstanding a prepared shipping container, it could still be close to where it was taken. Not just any garage can handle the height of an Airstream with an air conditioner on the roof - so commercial doors on seldom-used buildings would be immediately suspect.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #62

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Vin Number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
There is no nameplated model name. It goes by either "18 footer" or "Traveler."

Do you have the VIN number, or are there any distinguishing features we could look for in passing?

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I was just gonna suggest that you have available ANY and ALL pics of the interior/distinguishing marks/dents. Its way to easy to remove the small plate with the VIN and replace it....Most people arent aware of how to distinguish the years of older units. So, it could easily be sold as another year model...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
South East Idaho , South East Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
We live in a wonderful area of West Seattle. Great neighbors, etc, always looking out for each other. We love it here.
Looks like your neighbors did their job well You never know, where a mole might reside.
My thoughts are with you.
Fred
Grad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Another thought... you could put an ad in the paper saying you're looking for a vintage A/S trailer to buy for cash. You could also offer a finders fee; someone might come forward for it.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Another thought... you could put an ad in the paper saying you're looking for a vintage A/S trailer to buy for cash. You could also offer a finders fee; someone might come forward for it.
An ad in Craigslist in the Seattle area would help also. Something like "Stolen: 1958 Airstream" for a subject, and a description of the trailer, with a couple of pictures for text. Put it in "RV" section, people looking for one will see it there. Repost every few days, so it stays close to the top of the searches.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Again, thanks everyone. The support here is amazing.

Kevin245, our vin is listed in the original post... here again though 18D0106.

For you Puget Sound area folks: we're going to be on KING 5 tonight at 10 and 11. I sent them an email this afternoon and they called right up to schedule a time to come over. Ryan was interviewed while I wrangled the boys and then they had us do a couple of minutes of family shots in the living room.

As for identifying marks, etc: We installed a black water tank during the restoration complete with one of the tornado clean out things (can't remember the official name). Just inside the door above the dinette is a switch that controls the LED step light (orange). On the refer cabinet above the bed is a switch to power the water pump. Under the curb side dinette is Ryan's 12V control panel. Above the toilet in the closet wall is the gauge that shows the levels in both the black tank and fresh water tank (toggle is underneath). The bed's mattress is covered in that classic mattress ticking fabric (white canvas with navy stripes). On the forward shelf above the dinette is/was a Tivoli Model One Radio that is powered via a 12v cord that comes through the skin above the shelf. There's a 110v instahot water heater on the right side of the kitchen cabinet. The plumbing is blue and red 1/2" PEX. The refer, stove and toilet are all original. It still has the propane lantern. The sconce lights had no shades. The floor is a light green Marmoleum that we installed during the shell-off period. DuoTherm A/C in the middle with a Max fan forward of that. The awning is ZipDee and it's BRIGHT ORANGE solid. New shore power AC inlet. New Dexter axle on original springs. Wheels are galvanized steel. Front 30lb propane tanks are white. Custom spare tire carrier built under the dinette (had no tire in it).

That should cover it...

Katie
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #68
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Ask the TV station for a video copy of your segment. Then post it on Youtube with the word airstream in the title. It all helps.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Katie, If you need help with the video posting, let me know. I can convert it into flash and post it for you on the many video sites that are now out there. Jaime
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A friend on my irrigation forum is a ex-cop who's dealt with these things; his advise
if any one sees the coach is to call 911 and keep it in view, telling 911 you suspect it
of being stolen.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
wow, I would just like to say this is so sad. I can only imagine how I would feel if ours was taken. We just started fixing it up and i am in love, my heart might be broken if it went missing. I think the other forum members ideas are great. Have the Police been helpful? I think the idea about checking the cameras for that night is the best yet. Will they do that for you? It seems you can almost pin point the time it was taken. Maybe they can get a plate # on the tow vehicle from the police tapes. I am sure the people will try to sell it sooner or later and when they do you have so many people on here looking out for it I am sure you will get it back. Best of Luck, we are all keeping our eyes peeled, hope you get her back ASAP.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've sent your information and the photos out to a group of hot rodders across Canada who will hopefully continue to pass it along. If it shows up I've asked them to contact their local 911 with your info and to email me so I can pass that sighting on to you. I was warned several years ago by a friend who had his car trailer stolen off his driveway that there are very few means to make a trailer in particular completely safe.

A thought - a couple of years ago a corvette was found that had been stolen in 1969 and it was completely changed - new color, interior, engine, etc. The car had never been found until it was being shipped overseas. Homeland Security apparently checks everything that goes out of any size. Is there a feasible way to contact them, given you are in an area where ocean shipping is readily available?

I would also canvass the locals for some blocks, take a poster to all the local gas stations and mail it out to others. Send the poster to the local schools with a note that you will provide a reward to the school who finds it - kids notice everything when walking to and from school and a new addition in a back yard will get their attention.

Just thoughts. Neighbors have a habit of being up and around at all hours and may have noticed an unusual vehicle in the area day or night. These folks had to have seen the trailer recently. Also Flying J truck stops and the like may post it on their bulletin boards for the truckers to see. That would put a lot of eyes on the road on your behalf.

One other thing to consider - is there any construction nearby? We had several houses being built up the hill from us and during the period that they were being built there were a lot of various builders coming and going. Sadly, during that same period, most of us had our cars broken into, stuff stolen out of our yards, and it started when the construction began and ended when the houses were complete. We were told by local police that this is no surprise as many of the folks in the trade are transients moving from city to city where ever work is.

I'm sure you will keep us posted. I live in constant fear with my cars even though they are well hidden and secured. People actually follow me home and down my very obviously private drive sometimes thinking to chat me up and have a closer look at the car. I make a point of pulling out my camera and taking their picture and the car they are in and writing down the date etc. Some get offended and I tell them why I'm doing it and that should the car ever disappear they can expect a visit as they may be the greatest people in the world but their friends may be less so.

Barry
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
We will keep our eyes open down south here in San Diego. If i see one on the freeway i'll follow it and make sure it's not yours. Truly hope it will be returned to you.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I got this response from a friend who lives in Southern Oregon who was on my hot rodder email list:

Barry, I forwarded the email and pictures to the Glass Egg wagon-master to advise all our members, canvassed over 150 RVSR members in the So. Or. area and posted it on our club web site that gets 3500+ hits monthly

I'm sure there are other RV oriented sites that would consider helping out. Good Sam? GMC Motorhome folks etc? Possibly an email to Airstream to see if they would send out a notice to their dealers? The RV Retailers association? The more people who are aware the more potential for recovery.

Also, send your email to Chuck at the RV Newsletter, which just happens to be based out of Seattle area. They have a weekly email newsletter that gets a huge reading audience. RV Travel: Highway traffic cameras: what they do.

Barry
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I was gonna say that :-)

All very great ideas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
I got this response from a friend who lives in Southern Oregon who was on my hot rodder email list:

Barry, I forwarded the email and pictures to the Glass Egg wagon-master to advise all our members, canvassed over 150 RVSR members in the So. Or. area and posted it on our club web site that gets 3500+ hits monthly

I'm sure there are other RV oriented sites that would consider helping out. Good Sam? GMC Motorhome folks etc? Possibly an email to Airstream to see if they would send out a notice to their dealers? The RV Retailers association? The more people who are aware the more potential for recovery.

Also, send your email to Chuck at the RV Newsletter, which just happens to be based out of Seattle area. They have a weekly email newsletter that gets a huge reading audience. RV Travel: Highway traffic cameras: what they do.

Barry
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Being full timers, we've seen a number of those beauties, they're always towed by pretty
nice rigs, tip one. This one has a awning color that is distictive, as is the fresh AC + vent,
tip two. It also has white propane tanks, something the lunkheads that stole it might not
realize when they go past us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	72416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	72417  

Old 12-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The Seattle t.v. station did do a story on her. Go to "top video" on the right.KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Direct link!

Thanks Mike for finding the story. Here is a direct link. King 5 Airstream

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
BULLS GAP , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I am very sorry that you have had a loss concerning your trailer. I am on the east coast, but the trailers remain desirable here as well. I have had strangers to drive into the drive and ask to see my trailers. I have told them I am sorry, but there is NOT a FOR SALE sign here, and ask them to leave.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #80
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Im glad the news is covering the story. I hope everyone keeps their eyes open for it, and its returned safely!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote