Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
MV Traveler12038

2018 30' Classic
Bedford , Virginia
Under the sink Alde Panel Death

2018 Classic Rear Twin. I murdered my Alde! I hit reset because I was sure that my adjustment from what was showing on my wall panel and the actual temp in the trailer was not correct. It was off about 7 degrees. Following the instructions, I hit reset, expecting that all of the factory settings would return and I could adjust the temp accordingly. Instead, the controller will not come on, nor will the boiler come on, my Alde system is dead, lifeless, pulseless, and I am beginning to show sign of rigor mortis. My dog is shivering. I've no idea what to do except write here and beg for help. So if anyone has any experience in ACLS, Alde Classic Life Support, please send me a lifeline. I called Spencer at Alde this morning and left a message but have not yet gotten a reply. I thank you in advance and my chilly dog thanks you, too. I have no knowledge of electronics and should probably have not bought such a beautiful, sophisticated, dwelling, but that is for another post.

Lisa
SilverBVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yikes! Blankets for you and the pooch? A space heater perhaps?

I know nothin about the Alde system - AS has this blog post with some videos - maybe something here for you? Someone more knowledgeable will surely chime in...good luck!

https://www.airstream.com/blog/using...ystem-classic/
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
MV Traveler12038

2018 30' Classic
Bedford , Virginia
Thanks. I'm under an electric blanket with my precious pooch snuggled next to me. Space heater on. Trying to count my blessings despite my predicament.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Lisa

You have a heat pump in your Air conditioners. It should work in 40-degree weather. I don't know what reset does, but a call to Airstream is your next step.

There is an offset in the control panel for adjusting the temp readings to actual if that's what you wanted. Please let us know what you find out.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
Try a total Airstream reboot, unplugging from shore power, turn off the battery disconnect wait 20 seconds then turn everything back on.
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparr View Post
Try a total Airstream reboot, unplugging from shore power, turn off the battery disconnect wait 20 seconds then turn everything back on.
That seems to be the procedure that I am finding on the internet. Also, alde seems to say a "reset" just brings the system to factory settings, not wipes it out. Factory settings may not be Airstream settings. You need to go through the panel and add accessories and turn on features that you had before.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
MV Traveler12038

2018 30' Classic
Bedford , Virginia
Thanks, Turk123. As soon as I thaw out, I'll try the Airstream reboot. The Reason I did the reboot was to return it to factory settings. That there is absolutely no power to the poorly placed panel is what is so disturbing. I've left another message for Spencer at Alde and hope that he will return my call. If it can be avoided, I don't want to return this to the dealer to address this issue as I'm a traveling nurse, currently close to no dealer. It was warmer in my refrigerator this morning than in my trailer. Maybe I'll sleep in there tonight.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I don't have an ALDE system, but no power tells me maybe there is a circuit breaker that needs to be reset.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Hi Lisa:

You may have already done this, but if you haven't, get thee a small space heater from the nearest hardware store. They come in all shapes, sizes, and heating types. It will allow you to get out from under the blankets :-)
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
Jon Pucket at the factory might be able to help. He has much knowledge about the ALDE system. He is in charge of Warranties. Main number for the factory is (877) 596-6111. Good luck! I have been there many times.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBVer View Post
2018 Classic Rear Twin. I murdered my Alde! I hit reset because I was sure that my adjustment from what was showing on my wall panel and the actual temp in the trailer was not correct. It was off about 7 degrees. Following the instructions, I hit reset, expecting that all of the factory settings would return and I could adjust the temp accordingly. Instead, the controller will not come on, nor will the boiler come on, my Alde system is dead, lifeless, pulseless, and I am beginning to show sign of rigor mortis. My dog is shivering. I've no idea what to do except write here and beg for help. So if anyone has any experience in ACLS, Alde Classic Life Support, please send me a lifeline. I called Spencer at Alde this morning and left a message but have not yet gotten a reply. I thank you in advance and my chilly dog thanks you, too. I have no knowledge of electronics and should probably have not bought such a beautiful, sophisticated, dwelling, but that is for another post.

Lisa
Hi Lisa,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team and help you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Lisa - you now have some additional contact information and instructions - hopefully you can get it working today. If not - it sounds like you’re really cold where you are (unless the line about the fridge being warmer was just for effect [emoji3]). If the temps are consistently below 30, you may want to consider winterizing as a safety precaution....if it’s just an hour or two at night, it shouldn’t be a big deal - but if you’re looking at 24-48 hours of sub-freezing temps, you may need to do so to prevent damage by expanding water/ice in the pipes...
Old 02-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
MV Traveler12038

2018 30' Classic
Bedford , Virginia
I've winterized the plumbing and was using the boiler alone for heat, as I had read, is the beauty of the Alde. I spoke at great length to Airstream tech support today and after much trouble shooting, a new control panel is on its way. If this doesn't fix it, it is probably a circuit board failure that will require a trip in for service/ board replacement. I'm seriously reconsidering my choice to travel nurse in a TT as it is adversely affecting my health! Thanks for all the help. I'll update the outcome once known.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
If you haven’t turned on your tank heaters you need to. Good luck!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
MV Traveler12038

2018 30' Classic
Bedford , Virginia
Thanks, 69 SoulShine, they are on!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBVer View Post
I've winterized the plumbing and was using the boiler alone for heat, as I had read, is the beauty of the Alde. I spoke at great length to Airstream tech support today and after much trouble shooting, a new control panel is on its way. If this doesn't fix it, it is probably a circuit board failure that will require a trip in for service/ board replacement. I'm seriously reconsidering my choice to travel nurse in a TT as it is adversely affecting my health! Thanks for all the help. I'll update the outcome once known.

Whew! Glad you had the winterizing covered.

Sounds like a rough start - hopefully you can iron out the bugs quickly and keep going with your plans and dreams. Sometimes a simple fix sets you up for a lifetime of fun and adventure. Other times - well, cross that bridge only if and when you get there - may you not have to worry about it [emoji3]

Oh - and sharing pics of the dog provides extra bonus points! [emoji3]. Here’s mine taking a selfie...she lacks pupposable thumbs [emoji3]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4649.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	333982
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #17
MV Traveler12038

2018 30' Classic
Bedford , Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	333983

He is bored with my stress and just wants to go for a hike!! This is Rick James.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Highly boopable snout, strong yawn form, classic distinguished fur of experience - that’s a good looking pooch! Happy camping!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #19

2018 30' Classic
Queen Creek , Arizona
AS Classic Alde Problems

My new AS Classic ALDE System also failed when it was only a few weeks old. The heating system was running fine and all of the sudden it got cold and would not produce heat.

I called Spencer at Alde (great person for support) who walked me through a list of issues to check out. My under sink ALDE remote display did not show any life so he had me check a couple of fuses located on the main control board. Getting to the board is a little challenging but not impossible.

First remove the seat (Bench) that is located above the Alde boiler. There are 3 nuts (11/16 open or box end wrench) to be removed. Then lift bench seat off frame and you will see the enclosure that houses the main control board. On the top of the enclosure you should see 2 little green fuse holders. It is possible to remove them without removing the cover but is a little tight for space. In my case both fuses had blown and of course AS Factory had failed to provide a spare in the holder. These are special fuses and probably will not be found at your local Auto Parts store.

Spencer had me check the level of fluid in the boiler system. It was very low well beyond low which caused the system to over heat and tripped the high temp fuse. Now what to do. The high temp fuse is not something that can be replaced. It is mounted to the circuit board and is not replaceable.

Alde shipped me enough fluid to fill my system and a new main circuit board with new fuses and a spare fuse.

After installing the new board and filling my system with glycol everything was work like new.

Unless you have the tools and a basis knowledge of circuit board replacement which includes disconnecting and reconnecting several plugs with multiple wires you probably need to get a repair person at your unit or take to a ALDE dealer. Also there is 120 VAC near the board so unplug the power cord before opening up the controller enclosure. I found that many AS dealers don't have a lot of ALDE experience at least in the area of northern Arizona.

Once you reach Spencer he can help find a service dealer in your area.

Respectfully

Dave
Clifford2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
This may be totally unrelated since we have a 2016 Flying Cloud FBT. This thread started with the notion that your temp may be off. We found when our AS was brand new that the temp on the thermostat was about 10 degrees off of what the actual temp in the AS was based on a reading I took with a digital infra red thermo gun. I found then that the temp sensor for the thermostat was placed directly behind our 32” monitor mounted on the wall. So the sensor was picking up the temp of the monitor and not actually what the majority of the interior was . I relocated the sensor lead to a lower position on the wall and wallah! it is very accurate now. Sometimes it’s the little things...and it’s always a plus to have other heating options to fall back on.

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote