Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1979 23' Safari
Send a message via Yahoo to atvmcg
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the input!

atvmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Information is your key.

Originally Posted by atvmcg
I need to drive from Montana to NV next week. I-80 over the Rockies to Butte,MT and down I-15 to LVegas. Any suggestions on what I need to be aware of? Do I need to chain/cable? 4 wheel drive fulltime? Any stretches I should be aware of? I've never done winter weather before.
I have expereince with this. The second time I ended up in a ditch and totaling my truck. See my website. You do mean I -90 over Home stake pass?
First slow down, second have alook at the US traffic info site. It has links to all states traffic info sites. check the winter weather links. The are fairly good in general planning. National Traffic and Road Closure Information

I used this on my last trip from the west to the southeast. It dictated I take the northern route.

Take your time and do not go unless the roads are clear. I will not start out unless the roads are clear and and at least wet. No packed snow or ice listed.

If you do find yourself on the road and there is snow follow the tractor trailers (at a distance). They are professionals and they sit higher up and can see things before you can. I had this happen going over deadmans pass in Oregon. The state website showed the road green. clear. They lied. I got in line with the tractor trailers and we moved along at 20 MPH. We all made it without incident. I will not go down hill on an slick road. The chances of the trailer passing you are high when you use the brakes.

If it gets too bad pull over at a chain up or rest area and start making coffe for the truckers. They will appreciate it.

You likely problem spots are Homestake pass on I-90 and the pass between Idaho and Utah on I-15 (can't remember the name). It is litterally all down hill from there. Leave a day early or a couple of days later if necessary.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote