Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Las Vegas , Nevada
Thumbs up Greetings from Las Vegas

Hello, all! My name's Josh, and my wife Roberta and I just got our very first travel trailer, a 2008 International Signature Edition 16'. We've always loved Airstreams, and it seems that fate just insisted we join this peculiar American cult.

Our first excursion will be driving across Death Valley (no, we're not camping there in the middle of summer) to our riverside home in Kernville, CA. Then we'll be going to a music festival in Bishop CA.

This is all gonna be so much fun!

My only question right now is, "What makes the 16' International not a Bambi?"
jpgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Josh and Welcome to the forums. I can't answer your question - seems to me like a 16' er would be a Bambi but we'll just have to wait and hear. By the way, there is a rally in Kernville in September you may want to go to. Look on the front page under the heading "California Streamers fall Rally". Good luck with the new Airstream!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome the the Forums

Hi Josh and Roberta,

I’m sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from it. When you have questions, check the search button in the blue bar at the top. You’ll probably find that lots of people have had the same one.

If not, you will be amazed at the speed and quality of responses.

Enjoy your trips!

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgordon
Our first excursion will be driving across Death Valley (no, we're not camping there in the middle of summer) to our riverside home in Kernville, CA. Then we'll be going to a music festival in Bishop CA.

This is all gonna be so much fun! ...
Damn, right up highway 395. Say hello to Olancha, Lone Pine, and Independence on the way to Bishop. I think it's my favorite stretch of road. There's always time for a detour over to Darwin--there's a 1947 20' Airstream there. Not to mention that Independence, for a small town, has about the highest per capita number of vintage Airstreams I've seen.

And I can't answer your Bambi question, either.

Zep
Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Josh...and welcome to the forum...and this peculiar cult.

I believe your 16' International CCD Signature Edition is a Bambi...just as our 19' Safari 75th SE SL is a Bambi...there are 2 current Bambi sizes...16' and 19'. The "International CCD" and "Signature Editions" brandings are types of decor/configuration/option groupings within the general group called "Bambi."

I think. Now I'm confusing myself!

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. A new 16 footer is a Bambi whether it says so on it or not. Remember that a Bambi is the only thing on the planet that is cuter than a puppy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Remember that a Bambi is the only thing on the planet that is cuter than a puppy.
Amen to that!

TB
Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Maiden Voyage!

We just returned from our first camping experience, three nights at the Millpond Music Festival in Bishop, CA. Everything went swimmingly, though we did learn a few things:
  1. A hundred pound, 13-year old cranky dog kinda gets in the way when she sleeps in between the bed and the bathroom. We'd hoped she'd sleep under the dinette; no dice.
  2. Don't leave the bathroom light on. And don't us the doorway light to illuminate a five-hour jam session; the battery does not appreciate either treatment.
  3. Raise the stabilizers before you jack up the hitch. (No harm done. Mighta coulda, though.)
  4. It's real easy to gong oneself on the awning struts.
  5. It's real easy to gong oneself on the open back window.
  6. Check pump status prior to using toilet.
  7. Too many darned flashing lights. Do I need be reminded every 30 seconds that my propane detector is working? (It illuminates the dog amusingly, I suppose.)
  8. Modern beer cans are remarkably thin, and leak prodigiously if improperly stowed.
  9. A "full" sized memory foam topper fits perfectly atop the 3/4 size mattress.
  10. Some people are considerably better than other people at guiding maneuvers such as backing up a trailer. It does no good to silently point and expect to be attended to.
  11. Draining the honeypot is not as disgusting as I feared.
  12. Everyone wants to ask me how much it cost.
  13. Everyone wants to look inside.
  14. Just like at home, we can cover every available surface with stuff in almost no time at all, so probably smaller is better.
  15. The best jerky in the world is from Bishop, CA.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Remember that a Bambi is the only thing on the planet that is cuter than a puppy.
Yes!!! A Bambi has a cute factor of 10! But then I might be highly influenced....

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Reference #10 - there is a rule that your backing partner must use a different set of hand signal for each backing of the trailer.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgordon
We just returned from our first camping experience, three nights at the Millpond Music Festival in Bishop, CA. Everything went swimmingly, though we did learn a few things:
  1. A hundred pound, 13-year old cranky dog kinda gets in the way when she sleeps in between the bed and the bathroom. We'd hoped she'd sleep under the dinette; no dice.
  2. Don't leave the bathroom light on. And don't us the doorway light to illuminate a five-hour jam session; the battery does not appreciate either treatment.
  3. Raise the stabilizers before you jack up the hitch. (No harm done. Mighta coulda, though.)
  4. It's real easy to gong oneself on the awning struts.
  5. It's real easy to gong oneself on the open back window.
  6. Check pump status prior to using toilet.
  7. Too many darned flashing lights. Do I need be reminded every 30 seconds that my propane detector is working? (It illuminates the dog amusingly, I suppose.)
  8. Modern beer cans are remarkably thin, and leak prodigiously if improperly stowed.
  9. A "full" sized memory foam topper fits perfectly atop the 3/4 size mattress.
  10. Some people are considerably better than other people at guiding maneuvers such as backing up a trailer. It does no good to silently point and expect to be attended to.
  11. Draining the honeypot is not as disgusting as I feared.
  12. Everyone wants to ask me how much it cost.
  13. Everyone wants to look inside.
  14. Just like at home, we can cover every available surface with stuff in almost no time at all, so probably smaller is better.
  15. The best jerky in the world is from Bishop, CA.
Fun list, and many of the same things we discovered our first couple of times out. Why the dogs like to sleep in that space in front of the bathroom door and the bed is a dog secret...air flow I suppose...and so much fun with you're in the bathroom when they decide to bed down, and you can't get out. You only do the stabilizer vs jack thing once...then you know...been there. There are many things to gong yourself on as it is...then we go and add street side and rear awnings...two more things to gong yourself on...ran into one the day they were intalled...still sore. Must hand streamers or something from them. The most annoying light at night is the radio/CD player... Note to self: turn it off before bed. Note 22 to self: Trun off the tevelvision booster light at the foot of the bed...before bed. Note 3 to self...get an LED stick-up light or flashlight for the bathroom for those middle of the night visits so you don't blind yourself turning on the overhead lights (the only way you can otherwise light the bathroom)...and making the mate rather unhappy...and the dogs think it's time for a walk. The only way to survive the small amount of available surface space is to put stuff awwy when you're done with it, or you're hopelessly lost in the clutter. Directing the backer-upper is an art form. Backing up is a higher art form.

TB
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Greetings Josh

Your first trip sounded so cool. Your neck of the woods is Roadtrip Heaven.
Ya know, I would have gone with you , for you know, moral support
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Your first trip sounded so cool. Your neck of the woods is Roadtrip Heaven.
Ya know, I would have gone with you , for you know, moral support
Oh, it was totally cool. The Waybacks were astounding; they jammed with Joe Craven for nowhere near long enough, leaving us wanting more more more. We caravanned, camped, and jammed with our own favorite band, Out of the Blue, and my fingers are going to be sore for days.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Josh, Congratulations on your new Airstream, you'll have great adventures and create lasting memories. I hope you'll attend a Forums rally, there's alot of knowledge here and you'll meet the best people!

Item #4 on your list: It's real easy to gong oneself on the awning struts.

A fix I borrowed from another Airstreamer is:
1. Buy two awning brackets (Arm to lower body).
2. Securely mount the brackets on a 4x4 (or larger but substantial)
3. Purchase four metal stakes. Or drill a hole in plate for spiral pet stake.
4. Replace the Awning-Arm to lower-body nut & bolt with a removable pin w/clip.

When you set-up your camp site, the plate w/bracket can be staked to the ground, swing your awning down, clip it into place and it will be out of your path. Remember to tilt the awning in light rain, stow if windy/stormy or if you will be gone for a while.

This may be something to think about; someone else may have good suggestion but hope it helps.

JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote