Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Project 2k5

Yesterday I got the back half of the frame painted with Por-15. What a job. Did eveything but wear a long sleeved shirt. oops, my bad, of course I ended up with it on my arms.

I am thinking one coat on the frame is enough. Or should I put two on ? any thoughts here would be helpful.

Today I have to clean up a space in my garage to do the wood working. The weather is just not cooperating enough to do it outside. Feels good to be making progress in the other direction !

I put my WH back together yesterday as well with new ss screws, a new safety valve, and a fresh paint job on the enclosure. I cleaned all the sediment out of it too. Going to have to do some work on the burner tho as it's not lighting like it should. ( pretty rusted )

I should have the back 2 sections of floor cut out today if all goes well, maybe even put in ! I can't finish until my aluminum arrives next week. I have to replace both wraps on the back because of some real bad corrsion. When those are done I can button it up back there ! yay !

That's it for now !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Great progress! You're really moving along!

I had the burner on my water heater completely replaced and added an ignitor so it would relight if it blew out. That was a great addition, and it's come in handy many times. That was only two years ago, and already the burner tube is badly rusted. I'm thinking of replacing it again. I wonder if there's a way to keep it from corroding so badly.

I went with one coat of POR-15. If it covers well, let it set up an see what you think. I found one coat covered everything as well as I wanted.

Sounds like you just might make it to Trout Lake after all at this pace!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Yes, one coat of POR-15 should be fine. On elements exposed to the sun (like A-frame) you should be sure to top-coat it with another paint, since it will break down quickly when exposed to UV.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Ok cool ! Less work for me right ? Thanks for the response rluhr.

Chris
Old 05-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Yes Stef, That's what I am shooting for. I may not have everything done, but it will be done enough to use up there. I am goin with one coat on the frame then. It seems good enough to me. Doing a Sterling Silver topcoat on the rear bumper and storage compartment.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I used two full coats, then top coated with chassis black. I figure if you're gonna do it, the second coat is worthwhile insurance.

The second coat takes about half as much paint. It fills any pinholes or defects in the first coat. And it's just what my painting instructor told me.

Where it is exposed to sunlight, I used Sterling top coat for cosmetic reasons.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
I painted over the step and didn't topcoat it, and the POR-15 quickly turned green! It definitly doesn't like sunlight. I've since top coated it, and if there's any further problems I'll strip and re-POR-15 it later.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
2nd coat

So when you put the second coat on did you prep it again or just paint it on over the 1st layer ? Mine has been on for a day now. The directions say to sand it before the second coat, but thats a lotta sanding. Just wondering if all that is really necessary. I don't mind putting a second coat on, however.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Stef, where did you find a new burner for your WH ?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think I would give it a quick scuff before putting on the second coat. I put the second coat on as soon as the first was tack-free, but before it got rock hard. It's probably too late for you, though.

The silver sure does turn green in a couple of days! According to POR-15, it doesn't effect the surface protective properties, but it doesn't look good. The black POR-15 turns a kind of chalky dull color after exposure to sunlight.

The biggest problem I had with POR-15 was applying it to 'new' steel. Even using the marine clean and metal-prep, it still didn't adhere as well as on rusty surfaces.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
I had RV Pro in Vancouver do the burner on the water heater. I wasn't brave enough to do that myself, and it was right after I bought the trailer.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I've used POR-15 w/top coat of Stirling Silver with good results. But two coats is a pain.

This weekend I painted my propane tanks with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulating paint, which is available in both spray cans and brush-on forms (good) and only needs one coat (excellent). The paint has very good reviews in car restoration circles. Plus, I ordered the paint from them on a Wednesday and got it Thursday, standard delivery! Seems like a winner to me.

Mary
Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
2k5 update

I did a second coat of Por-15 on the entire back section of the frame. It seems a bit more substanial now, still not convinced I really needed to do it but hey its done anyway. Put one coat of Sterling Silver on the rear bumper. Put a coat on my wheels as well. I got one section of new floor cut out. I am going to seal the edges and then I can put that in. I found that the original floor wasn't cut very square at the wheel wells, We'll see how that works out. I left myself a little extra to trim off if I need to. Better to be safe than sorry. I have to cut the back section next. Since that was very rotted I am goin to have to wing it on one side, partially. People walking down the sidewalk are starting to drop by and have a look now ! I think their curiosity got the best of them, lol.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
New pics

Hi all, I posted some new pics of my progress. The only snags lately have been the weather and time. I need a clone to send to work, but then he'd prolly get me fired anyway ! lol
Old 05-13-2005, 01:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Costs update

Well I added up the costs so far. The total so far is $3848.77 All of the major purchases are done with. I figure another 200 bucks in plumbing fittings and hardware. Oh yea, a new refer vent, ack. Its good to keep a tally tho, when it comes time to sell and step up to a longer AS. Just an fyi for anyone thinking of doing a resto/full monty.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Good job, Chris, you're really into it elbow deep, aren't you? I just checked out your pictures, I didn't realize you took out all you interior panels, ceiling and all. That's a great opportunity to get everything sealed up and rewired if it needs it. It's also a possibility you could go completely nuts and CCD-ify the interior (replace all the interior panels with bare aluminum) ala the Winick Caravel.

Vintage Trailering's 68 Caravel (if you haven't seen it before, click on the tiny pictures to be impressed)

Keep up the great work!

BTW, looking at your pictures, your WH burner is exactly like the one I had replaced.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Hi Stef, Yes I am elbow deep in it, lol. Getting close to the top of my spending limit. So no CCD'ing my AS. It'll be comfy and thats the main thing. I have seen that site, what a great job on that Caravel. woweee ! Maybe down the road I can get another AS and try that.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Well I got the back two sections of floor in today ! Sure feels good to have that done. I repaired my curbside wheel well, sealed the bottom of the floor before I put it in, sealed the back bumper area, put one more coat of sterling silver on the rear bumper. I also sealed up my wheel wells. I must say it is very solid in there now. It feels different than before, when I walk in there. I still have to make new wraps for the back corners before I can rivit everything back up. I am hoping the front two sections will be easier to put in. There isn't as much repair work that has to be done before I put the floor in. I get my shower enclosure back next week. yay! New pics in the photos section.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Started polishing

Here are a couple shots on the Caravel today...also look at the Vintage Tow vehicle thread...a 65 pulling a 65!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravel Polish1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	12176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravel Polish2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	12177  

https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
wow, now I know what mine will look like ! When I get to that point. It's a job for tomorrow man, lol.