Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Aubrey , Texas
Checking water in batteries

Why does AS install the battery cables across the covers that you have to take off to check the water? It looks like I am going to have to disconnect the cables just to check the water. Am I the only one that finds this annoying?
stujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I am able to get the caps off (barely) and you are right it is an annoyance.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Before converting to 2-6 volt batteries I had the same issue. With the new batteries the cables ran clear of the caps.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
My new A/S had the same issue with the short cables. I made up two #4 AWG jumpers longer than the OEM cables and re-routed all the connections so I can get to all 4 battery covers and check water without disassembling anything.

I also removed the large OEM wing nut and used a couple of stainless steel fender washers and a ss wing nut to have better access.

To answer OP question: yes, it is annoying but a small mod took care of it.

1st Pict before, 2nd after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5751.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	305767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5855.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	305768  

RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
I am able to get the caps off (barely) and you are right it is an annoyance.
Barely for me, too, and that’s being generous.

Annoying and a real hassle.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Before converting to 2-6 volt batteries I had the same issue. With the new batteries the cables ran clear of the caps.
For those of us living in a 12-volt world, how come?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"For those of us living in a 12-volt world, how come?"

Probably because switching to 6 V batteries in series required making some new cables, and they were made and routed to allow access to the battery caps.

I agree that Airstream's setup, which makes it all but impossible to check fluid levels, is shamefully stupid.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Houston , Texas
When check water, I normally loose negative terminal but not disconnect it, I can rotate the terminal just enough out of way to get to the cap, it is inconsiderate of AI or MB, don't they think RV owner actually worked on them.
this is the areas that Japanese automakers win, they are not only more ergonomic but designed something for easy access to repair or maintenance.
Top69dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Plainfield , Illinois

I am able to check the water in batteries with some difficulty. However it is doable. The reel problem is the need to check water level every 2 weeks. I have a 2917 flying cloud with a single stage battery charger. The problem is that when connected to commercial ac, the battery is being over charged. This results in the water being depleted due to excessive charging. The solution is to install a power converter with a 3 stage charger that will monitor battery voltage and stop charging until it detects a drop in voltage. Failure to replenish the water will destroy the battery in as little as 30 days. Even if you maintain the water level the life of the battery will be shortened due to excessive charging. Replacing the converter is not easy and i am still researching on how to accomplish this task.
Jmhandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When I made new cables for the disconnect switch, I made them with 2 AWG wire and about twice as long. They kind of make an "S" curve and allow enough slack to open the filler caps.
Yes, it's annoying.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhandel View Post
I am able to check the water in batteries with some difficulty. However it is doable. The reel problem is the need to check water level every 2 weeks. I have a 2917 flying cloud with a single stage battery charger. The problem is that when connected to commercial ac, the battery is being over charged. This results in the water being depleted due to excessive charging. The solution is to install a power converter with a 3 stage charger that will monitor battery voltage and stop charging until it detects a drop in voltage. Failure to replenish the water will destroy the battery in as little as 30 days. Even if you maintain the water level the life of the battery will be shortened due to excessive charging. Replacing the converter is not easy and i am still researching on how to accomplish this task.
One solid solution is, purchasing a 4 stage converter and replacing your single stage OEM unit. The new 4 stage converters monitor your battery state and keep it from over charging. There are several threads on this subject here on the Forum. (Even some folks here who disagree!)

Many of us have done this change with great success. It is not difficult, not too expensive, (<$170) When my batteries went bad a second time in 6 months, I got the Boondocker 55A converter from bestconverter.com, but there are other sites and other 4 stage converters also many have used here on the Forum. There are also several of us who have posted pictures of the installation.

If you go to the Bestconverter site and click on a Parallel Dynamics or Boondocker converter page, the on line manual explains how these work to condition and maintain your battery. You still need to monitor the water, but at least you likely won't boil out the water anymore.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quik Fill

We added a Quik Fill system. Not a problem any more. Just feed the tubing out the side hole on the battery box and hook up the squeeze bulb when you want to be sure the water level is good. Takes about a minute to check.
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon

Are you telling me my new (2018) flying cloud 19ft does not have a three stage battery charger? I also have been frustrated when checking water levels in my batteries. I was able to pry them loose under the cables.
Steve Siler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer503 View Post
We added a Quik Fill system. Not a problem any more. Just feed the tubing out the side hole on the battery box and hook up the squeeze bulb when you want to be sure the water level is good. Takes about a minute to check.
Ditto. Best battery accessory ever...I also have 2x 6-volt GC-2 batteries, and the cables are now routed much better than the original 12-volt single battery setup...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujan View Post
Why does AS install the battery cables across the covers that you have to take off to check the water? It looks like I am going to have to disconnect the cables just to check the water. Am I the only one that finds this annoying?
I believe only Airstream production management can definitively answer your first question. Unfortunately, Airstream management tends not to weigh in on Airforums threads. That said, I’ll take a few guesses.

Given the number of different models and not wanting to stock optimal lengths for each one, perhaps they took the Goldilocks approach; “too big”, “too small” and “just right”. The “too big” and “just right” owners will most likely not create a thread congratulating Airstream on their excellent foresight in wiring, so can't know for sure if this is the case.

Another thought has to do with their hand-built approach. The length of cable in the battery box has a dependency on where the battery disconnect solenoid (where the battery cable terminates inside) is positioned. Also, somewhat dependent on where the hole in the floor is positioned for feeding the cable from the inside to the outside. I’m guessing that both of these are positioned by eye, which brings about a lot of variation.

In a similar vein, I bet there is a lot of variation on the length of the trailer umbilical cord connecting to the tow vehicle, although this is not as apparent nor problematic as the battery cable length issue.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Just have the kids do it. Gives my 13yr old character and strong fingers.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Lots of great help on this forum. Based on all the tips I got made the charger/converter change over pretty darn easy.
DTOURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #18

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
My new A/S had the same issue with the short cables. I made up two #4 AWG jumpers longer than the OEM cables and re-routed all the connections so I can get to all 4 battery covers and check water without disassembling anything.

I also removed the large OEM wing nut and used a couple of stainless steel fender washers and a ss wing nut to have better access.

To answer OP question: yes, it is annoying but a small mod took care of it.

1st Pict before, 2nd after.
Did the samething, pulled a battery out and rotated it so both caps are closer to the outer edge. It works great.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siler View Post
Are you telling me my new (2018) flying cloud 19ft does not have a three stage battery charger? I also have been frustrated when checking water levels in my batteries. I was able to pry them loose under the cables.
Your shinny new 2018 AS likely came with a 3 stage (WFCO 8955) 30A converter; not a 4 stage converter.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi stujan,

Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.