Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Checking the water in the batteries

My 07 Safari has the battery cables laying across the water caps with little or no slack. In order to check the water I have to remove one end of the cables.

Is there an easier way? Can I buy longer cables and lay them alongside the batteries as they traverse between the batteries?

Thanks;

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Pain in the butt, isn't it?

I've been able to pry the caps up enough to check the cells without removing the cable, but just barely.

No answer for you, just sympathizing.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When your battery dies. Replace it with an AGM.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Richard has the best advice on this one.

John
Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I just bought some longer cables from Wal-Mart, long enough so that the batteries will slide out and can even be lifted down onto the ground, though I usually just rest them on the open door flap. The excess cable can be folded or coiled loosely beside the batteries. I then use one of those battery water dispensers that only dispenses when the container is pressed firmly down onto the battery cell opening. When the correct level is reached, the air supply tube in the nozzle is submerged, and the distilled water ceases to flow.
Nick.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Richard and John are spot-on with their advice for AGMs. I am a huge fan of them, sell them, and have replaced every lead-acid battery that I own with them. Better capacity, much faster re-charge times, mostly bullet-proof, and the Lifeline brand is built to mil-spec and used in all of our military's aircraft.

That said, if you don't want to go that route, follow Nickcrowhurst's excellent advice.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
So, do AGM (?) batteries not require water? More info please!~ Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Better capacity, much faster re-charge times, mostly bullet-proof, and the Lifeline brand is built to mil-spec and used in all of our military's aircraft.
I went to the lifeline webwite, and it got my attention. What size AGM batteries would I need for my 34'AS.

______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
I went to the lifeline webwite, and it got my attention. What size AGM batteries would I need for my 34'AS.

______Tom
The biggest one that will fit. In my 75 TW it was a Grp 27 Lifeline....

Richard

Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
When the Intersates die they will be replaced by AGM'S. But for now the longer cables we installed after our first battery ck are working just fine. It's funny how one cable is plenty long enough,but the other way to short!!! NOTE: get good quality cables of the PROPER guage, also if your plugged in or on a generator for an extended period; ck level once a week, I was quite surprised how quickly the level went down compared to our beloved "63" Safari.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR GOING ANY ROAD WILL TAKE YOU THERE<><>
Old 07-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
So, do AGM (?) batteries not require water? More info please!~ Pam
Hi Pam,

Go to Lifeline Marine Batteries - AGM Marine Battery & AGM RV Battery for all the info you seek. They DO NOT require any maintenance, other than keeping them charged. The benefits are many....the only detriment is the cost!

I have 2 GPL-4C golf cart batteries in my CCD and just ran them for 5 days of dry camping...lights, 2 fans, refer, all on DC. They were at 75% after all of this and were still running everything when I finally 'plugged in'. I use no other type of battery in any of my vehicles.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
A couple of questions on batteries;

After toasting a pair of batteries a few years ago, I have learned to maintain them regularly.
· I check the fluid level once/month and top off if needed with DW. There always seems to be a little “sweat” on top of the batteries. Sometimes it even dribbles out the front of the battery compartment causing a little corrosion. Am I over-filling? Batteries are not “boiling.” I still have original uni-volt.
· If I am not running the fridge (plug it in a few days before a trip) I unplug the shore power and run off the batteries (just a few lights if we happen to go inside). I do this as I understand the uni-volt is not the best charger and don’t want to boil the batteries. Is this good practice?
· Is it worth switching over to AGM’s if I still have the uni-volt? Or is that a waste of expensive batteries?

Thanx, Bill
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Lew et al,

I just spoke with Batteries Plus about the Lifeline GPL-4. The cost for ONE of those batteries is over $400.00! Yikes. Two at $800.00 plus shipping would cost me a trip out in the AS.

On top of that, they mentioned that the life expectancy of those batteries if well maintained would still be about 5-6 years.

I was interested in these until I heard that.

A single Interstate SRM-24 batery is less than $80.00, if you return an old battery. I've had my original Interstates for four years. So the decision to spend $160.00 every three years (at worst) verses $800.00 every six years (at best), I would still be spending only $320.00 verses $800.00.

Was the sales guy I talked with completely off the mark????

Still wonder and still love your advice.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Rally now!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Hi Lew et al,

I just spoke with Batteries Plus about the Lifeline GPL-4. The cost for ONE of those batteries is over $400.00! Yikes. Two at $800.00 plus shipping would cost me a trip out in the AS.

On top of that, they mentioned that the life expectancy of those batteries if well maintained would still be about 5-6 years.

I was interested in these until I heard that.

A single Interstate SRM-24 batery is less than $80.00, if you return an old battery. I've had my original Interstates for four years. So the decision to spend $160.00 every three years (at worst) verses $800.00 every six years (at best), I would still be spending only $320.00 verses $800.00.

Was the sales guy I talked with completely off the mark????

Still wonder and still love your advice.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Jonathan,

I think this guy is yanking your chain! Yes, the Lifelines are exensive but I don't recall the GPL-4GC 6volt batteries costing anywhere near $400 each!

I'll check with my supplier and get you the current MSRP for those, or any other size you would like.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Lew,

Thanks. I also forgot to mention that there was shipping on top of the above prices.

OW.

Jonathan
Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I replaced my battery this year with a grp 27 lifeline AGM from batteries plus. It was a little over $200. I went with the grp 27 because the battery compartment on my 75 TW.

Richard

Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
A couple of questions on batteries;

After toasting a pair of batteries a few years ago, I have learned to maintain them regularly.
· I check the fluid level once/month and top off if needed with DW. There always seems to be a little “sweat” on top of the batteries. Sometimes it even dribbles out the front of the battery compartment causing a little corrosion. Am I over-filling? Batteries are not “boiling.” I still have original uni-volt.
· If I am not running the fridge (plug it in a few days before a trip) I unplug the shore power and run off the batteries (just a few lights if we happen to go inside). I do this as I understand the uni-volt is not the best charger and don’t want to boil the batteries. Is this good practice?
· Is it worth switching over to AGM’s if I still have the uni-volt? Or is that a waste of expensive batteries?

Thanx, Bill
Any ideas about my persperation issue?
Lew?
Is this typical with uni-volt?

Thanx, Bill
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Bill, the Univolt is a relatively unsophisticated charging device, and my Univolt used to cause considerable fluid loss from over-charging. This caused the perspiration on the top of the battery. I replaced mine with a multi-stage intelligent charger (Intellipower), and this perspiration no longer occurs. The change to an Intellipower was well worth the cost, as it was much quieter, more efficient, and the batteries required much less topping-up.
Nick.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Bill, the Univolt is a relatively unsophisticated charging device, and my Univolt used to cause considerable fluid loss from over-charging. This caused the perspiration on the top of the battery. I replaced mine with a multi-stage intelligent charger (Intellipower), and this perspiration no longer occurs. The change to an Intellipower was well worth the cost, as it was much quieter, more efficient, and the batteries required much less topping-up.
Nick.
Thanx Nick, that is what I suspected.

Am I right to unplug when at home?
This should minimize any damage due to the uni-volt over-charging?

Just curious...about how much to switch to Intellipower and does it fit in the same space?

Bill
Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Bill,

Nickcrowhurst has it right. The old Uni's were good in their day, as it was all they had. A new converter with 3-stage charging (WFCO) or with added compensation for battery temperature (Parallax Temp-Assure) will not eat your batteries as they will be properly charged with the last stage being a float or 'trickle' charge that will simply keep them topped up.

That said, I would NOT leave the trailer plugged in as the old Uni WILL overcgarge the batteries every time. If you want to keep the batteries full, get a quality 3-stage charger ($50-60) and charge the batteries directly.