Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
The truck's a truck

The Tundra is a BIG truck - powerful and capable. But, IMHO, not built for comfort. The Land Cruiser is a heavy SUV built more for comfort than a the Tundra but with a considerably higher price tag as well. Also, think about if you will need "enclosed" storage (Rover, Land Cruiser) - vs open bed storage.

pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Tundra 4x4 and Land Cruiser 4x4

Pcasa is right. The new 2007-08 Tundra are BIG. So are the Fords, Chevy's and Dodges... (You need a ladder for the F250 Kings Ranch). When I went to the new Tundra from my 2006, it was a BOAT. I am over the increase in cab space and other than SIZE, but like the tow vehicle benefits in the automatic transmission, disc brakes and larger engine. I did not buy the larger engine for economy, but am surprised that the mileage at elevations above 5,000 feet... I get better gas mileage than my 4.7L Tundra (now- 15 to 18 mpg with the 5.7L using Regular). I put a shell on the Tundra and have 6 feet of dry storage.

The 2008 Land Cruiser is a bit heavier than the Tundra (not looking at the specifications at the moment, so...) and has every option known to Toyota and you pay dearly for one (low $60). Resale is EXCELLENT. The full time 4 wheel drive is a big plus and will out perform a pickup 4x4 on tight curves as well as off road. The same engine and transmission as the Tundra. Both drive like armored vehicles, but I feel safer in the Land Cruiser when you see the driving habits of other people on the roads. Gas mileage is running 15 to 16 mpg, but the wife has a lead foot... You can actually have a rough idea of mileage per gallon using the computer option on both vehicles to see how you are doing. It is pretty accurate.

Compared to the 1994 (straight 6 cylinder) and 2000 V8 era Land Cruisers, the new ones are in a class of their own. They are comfortable, over priced and when we get a 100,000 miles on this one, maybe the next ones will not disappoint as well.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

Go to your Chevy dealer and look at a Suburban. If you don't want a truck - see the original SUV! You can get a Burb trimmed out like a plush recliner on wheels. With only two seats or the third seat folded down, there's enough inside storage for two coffins (an undertaker pointed that out to me).

I would get a newer one, as the 2003 I had was a GAS HOG! I traded up to a 2008 Diesel Silverado (quad cab, long bed) and like it even better - plus I actually got 14.8 mpg towing last time out.

PS. I'm on year 3 as a Rivette - woman towing alone. I've actually bought a tow vehicle that could pull the biggest A/S they make, and frankly in another year or two I'll be looking at the 27 FB (or 30FB if the rumors I hear are true).

One thing I would do if I were in your place is look at used units - fairly new ones. You'll be surprised how many folks upsize after a couple of years. Go to the Classifieds here and you'll see many units 2,3, 4 years old which will require minimum make ready efforts (perhaps new tires or battery).

Advice you've already gotten about really thinking over floor plans and your lifestyle is great, as is the advice to visit rallies and meet other Airstreamers - is just priceless. I was prepared to buy a 19 footer for my first one. Then I visited my sister and for my birthday we went to the factory in Jackson Center Ohio. One look at the 22 FB and I instantly knew that one was made for me. In point of fact I actually stored my 25'er for a week and went out in the the 22. I'm back home in the 25, but I may have an opportunity to buy a business up in the mountains.... If that happens, I'll be putting the 22 footer in the parking lot of the business, adding a 30 amp exterior plug, and using it as my second home.

Paula Ford
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
Ok.. lets be truthful... get rid of the Range Rover (not enough power and you might be left behind in the mountains) and get a true tow vehicle..a Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I have a 2008 F250 with a stair in the bed (came with the truck) and I feel comfortable that I can tow any Airstream I desire...
Gypsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Stephanie: To change the subject again, Which kind of windsurfer do you ride, a cruiser or a jumping board, or kites? You don't buy the old wide "Star" learning board which you grow out of in a week unless you are carrying the keg and camping gear across the lake. Are you using shaped skis or straight? Not the kiddos learning ski.
I bet there is a way to find out which 'stream will work better for you after the first learning curve period. I was going to buy a sailboat once, but I bought a Windsurfer to learn to sail and watch the bigger boats while I decided which boat I wanted.

NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote