Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Cover for any length Airstream

Hello all! Just wondering about the feasibility of buying and covering the trailer with a cloth type cover to protect from the elements. It sounds like a pretty good idea until moisture gets up under the cover (and it will - Murphy's Law) trapping the moisture and not ever letting the skin dry out. On the other hand protecting the trailer from ice, snow, hail, flying debris, etc... sounds reasonable also. I'm in the D.C. Metro area so we don't have Maine or Minnesota snow storms but I just want the best for my "child" . I don't actually have a trailer yet, but I'm trying to think like an owner of one.

P.S. I hope to make this all moot by modifying/constructing a 20x24 garage into a 20x30 garage. So, Cover: YES or NO ?
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
NO. It destroys your aluminum skin. Allegedly leaves permanent marks. NO ONE will recommend such a cover and it is generally consider VERBOTEN. We got a shelter for our.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
Hello all! Just wondering about the feasibility of buying and covering the trailer with a cloth type cover to protect from the elements. It sounds like a pretty good idea until moisture gets up under the cover (and it will - Murphy's Law) trapping the moisture and not ever letting the skin dry out. On the other hand protecting the trailer from ice, snow, hail, flying debris, etc... sounds reasonable also. I'm in the D.C. Metro area so we don't have Maine or Minnesota snow storms but I just want the best for my "child" . I don't actually have a trailer yet, but I'm trying to think like an owner of one.

P.S. I hope to make this all moot by modifying/constructing a 20x24 garage into a 20x30 garage. So, Cover: YES or NO ?
I was just reading the FAQ at the VAC site and they say never cover a AS with a tarp, it will damage the finish.

Good Luck Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Okay Streamer1 -- I'd have to say you've seen worse snow than we have the last 5-10 years. El Nino's keep piling up back to back, producing strange warm and dry winters for us.

You already have part of the answer why covering is not a good idea. Another part is that wind blowing on any cover will chafe the clearcoat (or polished surface if applicable), resulting in finish damage or splotchy corrosion. The roof is fully capable of taking any amount of snow possible. The only thing that should go over your Airstream is a roof if at all practical. Storage under cover will be kinder in the long run to clearcoat and joint sealants. Sun and heat probably are the biggest problem. I don't necessarily think a Forums poll would accurately reflect the real numbers but I would believe the largest majority of Airstreams are stored out in the open.

Me? My Safari is under a roof about five miles away -- hard to do when in a large urban area like D.C.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Hey Streamer~

I do live in MN! You're right the moisture issue is of concern to me too! Don't know if this is an option for you or not, but we just purchased our unit this summer and my plan this winter is as follows... I have made arrangments with a good friend and fellow pilot to use a portion of his private hangar at a nearby airport to stash our baby for the winter... We are planning trips that lead right up to the fall of snow (and probably a bit beyond). If you happen to know a private pilot in your area you might want to at least ask and see if anyone has a bit of room you could rent from them on a reasonable basis, at least until you get your monster garage built. Some hangars are large enough to house more than a single aircraft and most have door height sufficient to accommodate your travel trailer... If you get it purchased yet this year, it's at least one option worth considering.

We have a running log of "camping nights" in a binder and we are well over our 1 year anniversary of camping (>365 nights out camping as a family). This is our first AS and we couldn't be happier with it. Hope you guys have the same experience!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi streamer1

it is unlikely anyone advising against a cover has ever used one...

this is one of those topics where everyone preaches a line...

but no one has been in the church!

i've already posted my experience here and in other threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=cover[url]

i've seen this wind flapping myth other places too....

you're not planning to tow it with the cover right?
not planning months in hurricane gail force wind?

wind isn't an issue.

frozen water/rain/snow melt refreeze would be one of 2 condtions where a cover isn't wise...

the other a high salt environment/coastal spray...

cost IS the big issue a quality cover for a larger trailer is 100s of bucks...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I recently watched an episode of RV Roadtrip on DIY that featured a vintage Airstream that a couple in southern California had purchased and polished. The "RV Doctor" highlighted the cover the owner puchased and recommend that other AS owners consider them to protect the polishing that had been done. I quite watching the series with that episode! I considered writing the "Doctor" and correct his prescription, but hadn't had time to find the thread that would explain in detail why you shouldn't do this and describe anybody's experience that had.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
worked for me

hi- would have to take 2'air's side on this (though couldn't find your thread) and just say that I used a polypropylene cover over my coach last winter, just recently took it off actually, and can find no sign of any damage to the aluminum skin. That said, let me describe my particular conditions: I'm in Colorado, at 8,000', where the air is high and dry. It snows little here on the front range. This cover is light and breatheable, and I had a 1/2 dozen wraps of an old climbing rope spiralling around it to keep the wind flapping to a minimum. My trailer is NOT polished, buffed, or otherwise in show condition- rather, it is in original condition- somewhat milky clearcoat, the usual scratches, uneven sheen, etc. Which is fine with me, I just wanted to keep it that way and not add to it's "character" by adding pine sap and bird poop- it sits directly under a big ponderosa pine tree. So for me, in this climate and condition, a cover works. If I could move my coach someday out from under the tree, I might discontinue using the cover. So- use your head, make your own decision, weigh the pros and cons. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Thanks for the advice everyone. If I can stop buying model trains for awhile, maybe I can focus on that garage mod!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
_

. , .
here is the link that was posted earlier...hope this time it works...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=cover

2air'

....ok still doesn't take ya to the location...
so i'll bump the thread..

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote