Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Question Help with what length of Airstream to buy

Hello Everyone,
My name is Stephanie. I'm new to this forum and have a ton of questions, but I'll start with just one. After going to the RV and boat show in Denver last week I think I've been bitten by the Airstream bug. I was first looking at Class C motorhomes, but when I saw the Airstreams, well there was no doubt in my mind which I'd rather have. Plus, I already have a Range Rover I could tow with. Since I am alone, I will have to be able to do the hitching, backing up, taking care of everything etc. on my own, maybe with a friend along from time to time. Anyway, I really like idea of a 19' Safari but I've been told it is actually easier to back up with a trailer that has double axles, which start at 23'. I was also told the 23' trailers tow easier. Your experience would help me a lot. I would also love to here from other women doing this solo. I hear many women do this, I just don't want to find out later there is way too much maintenance or something. Thanks for you help.
Stephanie
s.noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi steph' and welcome to the forums!!!

you've come to the RIGHT STOP FOR 'STREAMing info...

which a/s, which era, which size, which model are regular questions and have been addressed in a lot of threads...

using the advanced search and limiting your question to TITLES of threads will give good results...

here are just a few.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ize-30863.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ing-29019.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ize-19035.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...size-7573.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...eed-31784.html

there are also a string of posts on length...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...earchid=998125

how much money, how much time camping, where u plan to go, and so on...

all impact the decision.

the 23s are a nice little, yet open set up, sort of like a studio apt or dorm room.

it seems to be true that 2-3 axle units have a loyal following, but so do bambis.

which rover? unless you've got the long wheel base hre model (top of the line) a 23 will be TOO MUCH trailer...

i won't wanna tow with an older disco (the disco 3 might be ok with a bambi)

there are only a few folks here reporting about towing with rovers of any model...

over on the rover forum it's a different matter, LOTS write about using them for towing.

i still follow the notion of FIND THE TRAILER you really really love...

then UPGRADE the tow vehicle to handle it...

oh, and don't forget the budget!

cheers
2air'

in YOUR situation it

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Focus on going forward...
A very small percentage of time will be in reverse.

This is a link worth looking at regarding your question.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f395...tml#post455883

Unless you are going to change vehicles; my suggestion is to match the Airstream size to your vehicle's towing capacity. Include a margin of capacity that favors the vehicle.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the forums!
As always, 2air is a wealth of info and I won't try to add to the trailer info he presented.
Here are some links regarding women towing and womens rallys, etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...8-a-38883.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-37982.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ng-s-4152.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...man-21150.html

There are others, some related more toward towing, but I'm not finding them at the moment.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
The biggest difference for us in the 19 vs the 23 models was not the towing factor but instead it was that that the layout was turned around...meaning that the dinette area was in the rear of the trailer. For us, backing into a great campsite with a view and being able to enjoy it was important. With the 19 Bambis (which we still love, by the way), you are looking at the back of your vehicle. We ended up with the 25 FB and I can't tell you enough how nice it's been making the morning coffee and enjoying our view out those big, rear wrap around windows.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Smaller might be better

Stephanie,

I'm also a woman going solo most of the time and would suggest that smaller might be better as you will be hitching up by yourself etc. Also, the Rover may not handle the bigger units. My recommendation is stay under 19 feet and keep the weight down - you might consider looking at Vintage units to get even more weight savings - but that is a whole 'nuther search process. New or Vintage Bambi would be a good choice - or Vintage Caravel would be good. Check the Classifieds here, research the suggested threads, and keep asking good questions. Good luck, paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome Stephanie!

Be sure to join the Denver unit of WBCCI and, if you buy vintage, join the Vintage Airstream Club too. We have a very strong unit here.

Be careful how heavy you guy with the tow vehicle you have. If you will be traveling solo most of the time a smaller unit may be just fine for you.

I have a single axle and haven't had any problems backing up etc.....

Good luck in your search!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I go camping alone most of the time because my husband works out of town. Also I showed dogs for many years and pulled a 22ft Caravel by myself. I will admit that I can't back worth anything; however, I always found some way to make it in forward or look pitiful enough to get help. I sincerely feel I could master the backing if I practiced, which I really haven't. As far as hitching these trailers up with the WD hitch and sway bar, you can do it by yourself with very little practice. As long as you know the proper procedure, you can do it. Actually, I can do the hitching and maintenance of both our trailers better than my husband because I just take my time and don't try to "strong arm" it. Men have strength we don't have, so we women try to figure it out. I know you can do this and you will have such fun with an Airstream.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
With a smaller tow vehicle, think about width of trailer.

3 basic widths, 7-1/2 foot, 8 foot, 8-1/2 foot.

The new Safari Sports 17 & 22 are 7-1/2 foot wide.
easy to see around while driving.

The new 16, 19, 20, & 22 are 8 foot wide.
not too bad if you have an american pickup that is 8 foot wide.
The mirrors need to be extended/flipped out to see around it.

With anything longer, they get 8-1/2 foot wide, that is 102" the legal limit.
standard truck mirrors that are extended are 102".
You can't see behind you unless you are going around a corner.
Or you have a backup camera system.
But then, backup camera systems are cool all by themselves.

Look into a camera system if you are doing lots of solo hitching,
it turns hooking up into a video game.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Well Stephanie I have to disagree with whoever told you a double axle is easier to back than a single and that a 23' is easier to tow. Simply not true, unless these people have some magic that defies physics. As pointed out by Druupy, you may find the 17' or 22' Safari Sport with the 7' 4" width suits you just fine with a minimum of fuss.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I have a double axle and a single axle trailer.
While they do feel a bit different, I've never felt like one was easier to back than the other. It's more to do with the different lengths - 21' and 25'.
Don't believe everything you read.
Dave
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. You've given me more to think about, especially the width of the trailer, and also the location of the dinette window seems very important. I want to have a great view. I do have the big Range Rover but I'll have to find out more about how much weight it can tow. I think I could be very happy with a 19' if it is an SE. I have my heart set on that beautiful aluminum on the inside too. If I am correct the Sport doesn't have that. I'm very glad that most of you don't think the double axle is that important. Next question if you don't mind. I am wondering about the RV Park situation. Some people tell me its impossible to park without a reservation sometimes weeks in advance. That seems to take the joy out of being able to travel without a schedule. What are your experiences? Thank you again.
s.noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Stephanie...backing up is an acquired skill, but with a little practice you will have it down. The first time we brought our 19' Bambi home I entertained the neighborhood for at least 45 minutes trying to get it into a double driveway! After a few more trips, backing up was easier...and now I can get in into a space with 2' on either side between the house and the fence in a matter of minutes. i think shorter trailers react (turn) quicker when backing them up because the pivot point is shorter...but it's easy to get used to how it behaves. You can do it!

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Airstreams!

See you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.noble
...Some people tell me its impossible to park without a reservation sometimes weeks in advance. That seems to take the joy out of being able to travel without a schedule...
really this depends on WHEN and WHERE you go...

holidays in major parks or desination areas or during a big festival...

often need reservations.

in 200 nights a year i make 1 or 2 reservations, for specific times.

i like winging it and hate being tied into a specific dates and times unless absolutely needed.

the land rover should have capacity for a 5-6,000 lb trailer...

in the tiny trailers floor plan is an essential part of defining 'space'...

then there is the issue of bed size, wet bath vs separate shower and storage space.

given the choice and with the means (money and tow vehicle) i'd select a 23 over a 19...

but the new 20 ftr is also a pretty slick floor plan.

go to the dealers and play inside ALL of the candidates...

one of them will grab ya!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Reservations generally not required...

Stephanie-

Welcome, and good luck with your quest. There are some great forum members in Denver area, and they'd be happy to have you join an outing and look and ask questions til the wine runs out...

I'd vote for shorter and narrower too, just because you might worry less about getting stuck or needing extra strength, and the smaller ones are easier to hook up and to tow.. The shiny insides are either CCD versions or SE models..

As for reservations, we've taken dozens of trips around west coast, into Canada and Canadian Rockies, and to air show at Oshkosh in July, and never needed reservations except at the air show.. Get a directory, charge your cell phone, and if you quit before dark (or maybe 5 or 6PM) you'll almost never need advance bookings. If you are going to a special destination resort, like Disney Ft. Wilderness or national parks in July, they will require reservations, if you want the deluxe campsites with hookups.. Even if places are booked, you're bound to have an adventure and find somewhere to sleep, from truck stop to rest area to some under-used government land...

Cheers!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I got a spot for 4 days about 3 years ago, at the KOA in Jackson WY in July. I didn't expect to get it but you never know.
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Here's a couple more things to consider.

Tow vehicles come and go. Airstreams last for decades. Choose the trailer and then the Tow Vehicle.

Go to a dealer or better a rally. See as many as you can.

Make sure the bed is big enough. Lay on it.

Make sure the bathroom is big enough. Sit in it.

At rallies they have open houses. Take true advantage of that.

Floorplans are more important than length. Space usage is key in a travel trailer happiness and comfort.

Take your time and choose wisely.

Good luck and happy hunting.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Stephanie,

I am in Centennial if you want to come and see my trailer. It's 22 feet long, weighs 3000 pounds and is a single axle.

Just let me know.

Also, look in your tow vehicle owners manual to find out the tow rating etc....
Old 03-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #19
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Welcome, if you are looking for a new one I would vote the 17' sport. But thats me. My husband and I have had several trailers and finally we think we might have one the right size for our family of 3. Hope to see you down the road.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Steph,

2airishuman nailed it right off "depends on where and when" You gotta go figure out what you are trying to accomplish first. As an example, my wife and I are a couple of pansies when it comes to outdoor rugged camping, just not gonna do it, our idea of a vacation is full hook-ups with TV and a golf course. So we are going to be in mostly modern RV parks and size does not matter, in fact, the bigger the better as they get more roomy with size. But I can not go to a lot of national parks, I could not join some folks I work with at a small SE AZ park due to length restrictions. You are also not going to find me towing off into the boonies since the rig is just too long.

If you like the idea of the woods, then maybe as small as you can live with as you will probably be able to get into and out of more areas and length restrictions will not be a factor. If you are going to be mostly on pavement (like interstates and such) heading to Vegas to Sam's town, or down to San Carlos, MX to the big plush RV parks, then get as much size as you can tow.

I disagree that bigger tlrs are harder to hook-up, they are all about the same. Bigger can get less forgiving to inexperienced drivers of tow vehicles. That is an endless debate on this forum. There are some died in the wool dudes hauling their monster rigs with mini-vans (ala can-am rv style) who just drive slow, then there are guys with the full on Class 8 tractors hauling around their pop-up tents (well ok, usually 5th wheels). I think you get the idea.

Ain't advice great, you'll here both sides of any argument, in the end you gotta do what *YOU* want to do.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote