Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #761
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Good call on waiting out the weather Mike, the day you posted about the update from Vycan, the weather map was not looking good for your route at all.
All ice warnings in that area.

The pics you posted of the stream flowing near the park, is that the place that you saw kayaking on an earlier trip. Cool place.

I have seen some pics of your rig posted on airstream addicts from this trip.
I guess a classic Moho stands out even more as the only rig in sight in a mostly empty park.

I hope your patience pays off for a comfortable fun trip home.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #762
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Morning Richard. This spot is a new one for us but very similar to the white water park down in Golden. This campground is much smaller and many less rigs. Six total including us. We are in no hurry to get back so I can think of a lot worse places to wait out the weather. Though we are getting a pretty heavy snow this morning, still warm though. About 30 degrees out. That's warm compared to central Illinois

It s too funny to see our rig posted on Airstream Addicts, it just kinda cracked me up. We stopped for propane on our way here at some out of the way RV storage facility. While one young fella was filling up our tank another employee came jogging over with a big smile on his face and said, "that's the coolest motorhome I've ever seen, didn't know Airstream made motorhomes". Hehehehehe. Ive read so many posts, mainly on the trailer side of the forum, where folks talk about how people are always coming up and admiring their rig. Honestly we haven't had that happen very many times so it always surprises me. I actually think it's funnier while pulling through small towns and seeing the rubber necking as we pull through. It reminds me of myself when I see a fifties Chevy pickup or business coupe.

Anyway, we are snug as a bug and there is a kick a$$ bakery about two blocks away that has INCREDIBLE pie so we're ALL GOOD.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #763
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Heyyyy Dave. Just down the road. Safe travels friend.

Looks like I'm delayed a couple days. Closing on the house after an asbestos inspection game. 3 beer story!
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #764
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
MAYCO's 1982 310 TD

Left beautiful Lyons Co on Monday and headed east for home. Have a commitment on Sat evening but ehhhhh, we'll try to make it. Stayed in Atwood KS last night at Lions park right off US36. Pretty little park with a lake and walking path. All revenues from the campground go to the local Lions club. I will say though the park is located in a kind of dirty area on the edge of town but the actual park is maintained well with full hookups, $25 per night. We've stayed there several times both to and from CO.

Today we landed in Washington Ks, what's become one of our favorite little spots tucked away on the edge of this small town. We have overnighted here about 6 times and never seen another rig in the campground. Electric and water at each site, both 30 and 50amp plus a 120v service. Water is always on with frost proof spigots and there is a dump station too! Cant beat this little spot for $15 per night, honor system with a pay station. Its on the edge of what looks like the county fair facilities and the main city park. Restrooms and showers are in service year round!!!!
Excellent deal we think. Its also on a small river with a spillway that has a nice sound of running water. Here is our view out the front door.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484778582.650238.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	278370

Not too bad eh?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #765
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
You the man, Mike. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #766
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Drove to Long Branch State Park yesterday, just outside of Macon MO. This is where we were frozen in 4-5 weeks ago on our way out to Colorado. Beautiful park that's heavy into prairie restoration and a large lake that's supposed to be really good fishing. Greated by a small heard of white tail dear as we got docked. Roads were fine for the most part but ran into some very dense fog and light mist for most of the drive. US 36 is in very good shape except for some small patches along the way. No wind for the last two days, first time ever driving through Kansas and MO without strong winds. Overall very comfy driving. Some pics;

Neat mist hanging over the lake this morning.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484945907.770595.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	278469

Walking down to the lake from our site.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484945961.155457.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	278470

Once again we have the park to ourselves, absolutely wonderful and kind of eerie last night, just rows of empty sites but very pretty

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484946092.254141.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	278471

The vast prairie restoration area next to the campground

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484946185.516490.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	278472

This next kinda hurts but I'll get cleaned up in the morning. Washed the rig 3 times while on this trip but this is the worst!!!!!!!!!! She's definitely been on the road!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484946406.491289.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	278473 ouch!!!!!!! SHAMEFUL!

Old 01-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #767
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Oh yes, we like this park, decided to stay here for an extra day just to chill.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #768
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
This next kinda hurts but I'll get cleaned up in the morning. Washed the rig 3 times while on this trip but this is the worst!!!!!!!!!! She's definitely been on the road!
Attachment 278473 ouch!!!!!!! SHAMEFUL!

I call that patina.... it's like seeing the worlds most beautiful woman in dungarees smoking a Colt holding a chainsaw....you don't care about the chainsaw.

Keep going Mike.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #769
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Well said Tony... well said.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #770
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well fellas, we made it home. Pulled into Champaign a couple hours ago and the 310 is tucked away for a little rest. After 4.5 weeks on the road I'm happy to report that Lynn is NOT contemplating returning to work. She says it was the perfect start to her retirement! WooHoo

Tony, Ill go with the patina look as you say, I did get her cleaned up a bit though. The rig ran like a top the entire 2000+ miles, absolutely no mechanical issues to report. Though I do have a list of small repairs that need to be done.

We were talking on the way home and realized that we cooked every meal but two in the rig the entire time on the road. Im getting quite used to the tiny kitchen. I do the cooking and Lynn does the dishes just like at home. So nice to have your regular diet when traveling, just another benefit of the Airstream.

Quite the trip, we had an absolute ball and looking forward to the Get Together in just a few months.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1485043376.942061.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	278512

Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #771
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Mike, we enjoyed following your trip, a lot of beautiful spots. You and Lynn are 'Making Retirement Great Again'. Safe travels.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #772
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Glad you enjoyed Lance...fun sharing the different places
Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #773
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Oh yes, we like this park, decided to stay here for an extra day just to chill.
Was that a pun?????

Loving your thread and travels BTW!

I have a silly question...
Without digging through your thread, what tires do you have on your rig?
I am dithering on tire choice and wondered if you have traction tires on the rear or if you have had any traction issues????
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #774
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You both had a wonderful trip, full of new life and new memories that you shared with a Queen of the Road. I'm very glad that the Airstream Gods saw fit to making sure she would deliver you there and back, safe and sound.

I hope that in the coming years your new grandson maybe able to enjoy adventures with her as much as you do.

Longo vivas tempore et bene sit.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #775
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Was that a pun?????

Loving your thread and travels BTW!

I have a silly question...
Without digging through your thread, what tires do you have on your rig?
I am dithering on tire choice and wondered if you have traction tires on the rear or if you have had any traction issues????
YOU GOT THE PUN! Wooooohooo

I'm just running new all position Hancooks all the way around. Didn't really drive in much snow but when we did had no traction problems. If we were to go up in higher elevations I would consider traction tires.

Tony, I sure hope so.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #776
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
A little wiped out today. When we got home yesterday we unpacked our clothes, hit the shower and then went to a family function that we needed/wanted to attend. But I needed to repair that Keeler door latch and it wasn't going to leave my head until I got it done so I went at it. So for anyone that wants to look at the innards of that lock and what's involved in replacing the "slide plate" that fails here are a couple pictures.

Here is what the new slide plate looks like. Available through Vintage Trailer Supply, very inexpensive. I think it was around $15.

To get the lock out of the door you need to remove three screws from the interior plate and the two 7/16 bolts holding the face plate to the edge of the door and the lock slips right out. This is what it looks like when you have it out

That is what is facing the interior. To get to the slide plate you need to remove the two large flat head screws near the bottom and the two smaller pan head screws on the left in the pic. You can then remove that cover plate and you'll see this

As you can see mine was pretty filthy. Then remove C-clip that's around the square shaft that's in the middle. Then remove the flat piece that looks like an upside down "T" and then the slide plate pulls straight up and off the lock. There is a fairly large spring in the plunger that will come out with the slide plate.
I cleaned up the dirt n grime the best I could and then coated all the moving parts with a white lithium grease spray. Reassembled in reverse order and that's it. No big deal.

I cleaned up all the caulk off the lock and off the door before reinstalling. I don't like how the interior manual locking mechanism is designed myself and I could see how it could fail. I may remove it and continue to just use the deadbolt when locking up the rig. The way the interior handle pulls the plunger back is pretty interesting and kinda primitive. I think the "slop" of the interior handle is caused by wear on the upside down T. As you turn the handle, the end of the T pushes an upturned nipple on the slide plate and this pulls the slide plate and plunger back. I haven't seen replacement parts for these pieces.

Anyway, got installed, caulked in and it works very well. I would suggest to those who have this Keeler lock on their classic motorhome, to go ahead and purchase the slide plate and have it in stock and ON BOARD your rig. Its not if this is going to break its when. And as I now know the WHEN is somewhere about 1000 Miles away from your shop storage!!!!!

Time for bed.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #777
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Oops posted the same pic twice, told you I'm kinda wiped out.

After removing the first cover plate

Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #778
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I'm about to change the oil in my differential, do you fellas recommend using any product in addition to the gasket on reassembly? Ive read about spray-on gasket sealer and others but is there a general consensus for the differential gasket? Thank you for any guidance!

Mike
Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #779
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Not familiar with the differential on yours but unless the gasket is leaking, I'd just pull the drain plug. Provided it's got one. Use a new white bucket to inspect the oil for metal chips. Plan on draining it immediately after a good drive so any sediment is stirred up and the lube is warm. You have a better chance of getting dirt in than out. I wouldn't flush it out with any solvents.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #780
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I like using my vacuum extractor for diffs. Even if you have a drain it's rarely in the center so you get a puddle of oil plus crap still sitting there. I normally use brake cleaner to clean up the housing but don't spray it on the gears. A good synthetic is wise and I hear might gain you less friction and life as well as mpg. Makes sense to use synthetic for this rarely done messy job.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote