Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #3061
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Missy, I'm so sorry to hear your news! That is so terrible! Definitely try to get insurance to cover the repairs and transportation to a reputable dealer (or the mothership). You have to have your baby back!

Trees were coming down all over Saskatoon too, but our power was out for only 6.5 hours. The rural areas got hit the hardest. What a horrible way to start the long weekend. I'm sick for you.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #3062
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hope this finds all faring well. Happy Independence Day All! 42 years ago today Brad and I were married in little brick church in my old neighborhood on Chicago's North West side. Add on the four years we dated all through high school ever since we met the summer after 8th grade graduation and we have been together 46 of our 60 years on Earth.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #3063
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Preeceville , Saskatchewan
Happy Anniversary and Happy 4th!!!

I have attached some of the pictures from our wind storm incident.

WARNING - Graphic Images that some viewers may find disturbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 1.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	162371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	162372  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	162373  
MissyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #3064
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Congrats Carol and Brad - a marvel for sure!! Wishing you both many more happy happy years....

OMG Misty T - you were not kidding. No problem just need to find another ass with it's front bashed in and pick it up for a song to fix yours...Have seen it done many times - start combing the US for that pour left over AS out in the field that no-one wants to take on. Good Luck!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #3065
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
How sad, hopefully all can be fixed to "almost" new and no one was hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyT View Post
Happy Anniversary and Happy 4th!!!

I have attached some of the pictures from our wind storm incident.

WARNING - Graphic Images that some viewers may find disturbing
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #3066
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Congratulations on your anniversary, Carol!

Missy, wow! That is so so so SAD! It was such a cute trailer. Protect her well, and hopefully repairs can be done.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #3067
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Hey Michelle I missed your post - I'm sorry to hear about the turn of events. But you still sound very positive and that is a great thing. Life does throw us some crazy hard curve balls some times eh!

Toy Hauler sounds like the perfect way to go. I do hope you land yourself a nice job and can start putting the pennies away for your new toy.
It has been a long time since I have been on the site. Thank you for your kind words. The trailer is cantankerous. I does not seem to want to go. It has to. At this point I need the money. My house needs repairs I cannot do.

I interviewed for a job Monday. I was told I would hear today. I did not. On to the next two job postings. I really want the job. Oh well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #3068
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Hi Everyone.
I would like to join the Silver Sisters! I've been married almost thirty years but I am still very independent. Always have been. I must admit though that I have become lazy in a lot of things, letting my husband do them, even though I know I can do them myself.

We are very new to AS, bought the first one, a '69 Caravel about a month ago. Went to the Jackson rally and then bought the second one a '67 Safari on Monday. It became clear at the Jackson rally that although my husband and I love each other, we simply don't love each other enough to live in a 15' box together! (the bathroom is way too close to the bed!!) (eu gross!)

Anyhow, we are fixing up the Caravel to sell and then will start fixing up the Safari which needs lots of work.

I do hope that once we work on it I can use it by myself! I will need some help getting started.

this group sounds wonderful and I would love to join, how do I do that ?

Thanks, Denise
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #3069
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdenise
Hi Everyone.
I would like to join the Silver Sisters! I've been married almost thirty years but I am still very independent. Always have been. I must admit though that I have become lazy in a lot of things, letting my husband do them, even though I know I can do them myself.

We are very new to AS, bought the first one, a '69 Caravel about a month ago. Went to the Jackson rally and then bought the second one a '67 Safari on Monday. It became clear at the Jackson rally that although my husband and I love each other, we simply don't love each other enough to live in a 15' box together! (the bathroom is way too close to the bed!!) (eu gross!)

Anyhow, we are fixing up the Caravel to sell and then will start fixing up the Safari which needs lots of work.

I do hope that once we work on it I can use it by myself! I will need some help getting started.

this group sounds wonderful and I would love to join, how do I do that ?

Thanks, Denise
Hi, Denise,

Do you live near Indianapolis? If so, I can help. I am on a very slow track of remodeling a 24' 1968 Trade Wind.

In the meantime, searching the forums can be very helpful. For searching out specific topics with multiple keywords, I have been using Google with a phrase such as (ignore quotes) "site:Airforums.com 68 1968 Trade Wind window replacement instructions".

That string helped me a lot when I realized the instructions provided with the replacement windows were not complete enough for a newbie like me. I was able to sift through several threads on a bulletin board-like site that came up on Google search results. I found exactly what I needed within a minute or two. Using the forum software seems to be more time consuming -- not just on Airforums, also on other forums based on the same software.

Have fun with your little bundles of joy!

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #3070
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Denise, as far as joining the "Silver Sisters" - you just did.

The next step is to find a Silver Sisters rally near enough and tow the trailer there yourself.

I went to my first last spring at Morro Bay and met a bunch of wonderful ladies. We had a blast. Then I topped it off with pulling the Tin Pickle up Highway 1 along the coast to Big Sur and parking it in a campsite so that Bart could ride down on his motorcycle and join me that night. By the time he got there, I had everything set up, and I only bent one stabilizer screw.

Knowing that I can hitch and tow the trailer myself has made us both a lot more comfortable.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #3071
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hey Denise, Welcome to the wonderful world of Airstreams! The Silver Sisters try to get together where they can and the ones of us that are not close, visit around the campfire here on the forums. We catch up on what is going on in our lives, where we have been and what we plan to do.

I have not been able to get out camping this fall and I am not the only one missing it. My granddaughter asked me this week when we are going camping and where. I think she enjoys it as much as I do! So....we are planning a camping trip for November 2-4. Don't know where yet, but we are ready to go! Will be just the girls as the hubby is hunting. (Can we say LOVE IT!) LOL

The weather here in Chatt Town, TN has been very nice. Temps in the 80's this week. But cold weather in coming in next week with the low's in the 30's. Busy stacking up the wood to get the campfire started.

Everyone brings your chairs and join round!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3072
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We're done with camping for the winter. It's time to take advantage of the non-camping time by ripping out some more of the interior of the Tin Pickle and replacing more of the ugly brown plastic with real birch plywood. This time, I'm going after the street side wardrobe closet and desk in the back room. The curb side has already been birchified. The blog in my sig has details.

The bed gets turned back into a dinette, the board that bridges the benches when it's a bed gets laid on top of the sink and stove and becomes my workspace for sawing and varnishing.

I'm hoping to have the back room done before the holiday entertaining season starts, or maybe by the end of Thanksgiving weekend. After Christmas, the sink counter and cabinet are on the chopping block. All that I'm doing is replacing the veneer strips in the aluminum frame, replacing a couple of side walls and resurfacing the kitchen counter. But that also means removing the sink and the oven and dismantling the whole frame to get at the veneer trip strips, so it will look like a bomb went off for a while. And then it will look much, much better....or so I keep telling myself.

And somewhere in there, I have to arrange time for DH to reconnect any lighting and wiring that I disconnect during my woodworking rampage.

Fun times ahead!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #3073
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I am so happy to have found this thread. I'm in! I am widowed and am very handy but my 74 AS Sovereign (bought 2 months ago) is proving to be a challenge in learning all the lingo and "how tos". I have plenty of time now to really get into it and redo what needs redone. I also have a smaller trailer (not AS) that is my practice one. I'm replacing interior paneling right now.

Looking forward...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #3074
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Hey, women of the camp: has anyone else had this kind of frustration?

One of my restoration expert friends is Kip, aka Aerowood. He does beautiful work. His recent post inspired me to revisit this matter of skills training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I picked up this brake last spring and I finally got it refurbished and in my shop. It's a Dries & Krump 5ft X 12Ga. I still have to sand blast the fingers and repaint them
Very very nice acquisition. I have asked around for permission to use one at a voc. school, and a shop, but they said no, citing liability concerns. Maybe they added, " ... Little Lady." By the way, I paid for welding lessons at the same school shop, and I do appreciate the concern.

I paid an engineer to bend my SS black tank surround, from a flat sheet cut by laser in his shop, to bends in all he right places, from a schematic I drew for him, precise measurements. I finished it at home with corner joins using SS rivets.

Similar response to my request to intern for free at a vintage restoration business to learn more about the sheet metals trade: too dangerous, liability, insurance, etc.

I know it is dangerous! I paid my way through college running a finning machine fulfilling military contracts for copper and nickel fin tubes for submarine HVAC systems during a wartime. Busy, 24/7, all the shifts the law allowed. Got a few burns, but managed to keep all my fingers. Working with sheet metal, I have received 3 stitches.

Not only am I whining, but looking for a different approach. Maybe some Rosie the Riveter drag?

Vincennes University has an AA degree in aircraft skills. Can't get my calls returned, using my most cordial professional voice.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #3075
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Google TechShop, Anne. They're not in Indianapolis...yet. They started in California and are spreading out from here.

One thing I absolutely love about the place, though it could also be the attitude of the community, is that nobody treats me like a plump, graying, middle aged lady. They treat me as a person. They listen when I have a point to make, no one talks down to me. And after a "safety and basic use" class that covers all sheet metal equipment, I'm free to risk my fingers on the brake as often as I like.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #3076
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
We're done with camping for the winter. It's time to take advantage of the non-camping time by ripping out some more of the interior of the Tin Pickle and replacing more of the ugly brown plastic with real birch plywood. This time, I'm going after the street side wardrobe closet and desk in the back room. The curb side has already been birchified. The blog in my sig has details.

The bed gets turned back into a dinette, the board that bridges the benches when it's a bed gets laid on top of the sink and stove and becomes my workspace for sawing and varnishing.

I'm hoping to have the back room done before the holiday entertaining season starts, or maybe by the end of Thanksgiving weekend. After Christmas, the sink counter and cabinet are on the chopping block. All that I'm doing is replacing the veneer strips in the aluminum frame, replacing a couple of side walls and resurfacing the kitchen counter. But that also means removing the sink and the oven and dismantling the whole frame to get at the veneer trip strips, so it will look like a bomb went off for a while. And then it will look much, much better....or so I keep telling myself.

And somewhere in there, I have to arrange time for DH to reconnect any lighting and wiring that I disconnect during my woodworking rampage.

Fun times ahead!
Hi - what neighborhood do you live in with Menlo? We used to live there for years and now live outside Boulder, CO. We were in the Willows very near Sunset Magazine.

We bought our Airstream 3 years ago and I use it as a fly fishing platform with my women's fly fishing group. I also do most of the repairs on it which I enjoy quite a bit.

Nice to meet everyone on this thread!

BTW, my name is Sandy. The "handle" on the forum came from our Great Dane named Bongo. He is gone now but lives on through my forum handle.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #3077
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Bon voyage. The prospective owners of my 2004 28' Classic are here in town from Minnesota. I am the second owner and the original owner was from Minnesota, not far from where she's headed. She may well be going home in the morning. I am in and out dusting shining and ruminating...if it doesn't sell will I be sad? Maybe not so much. She's a good Airstream, I may be prejudiced but the year and trim level and floor plan is ideal for long road trips and extended stays, top of the line, couldn't be more comfortable. I am wistful as I contemplate letting go. It's a fine Airstream. Who among us hasn't relinquished ownership yet to set it free to travel and be enjoyed by another? Bittersweet evening. So many memories and dreams are forefront and strong.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #3078
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Dear Carol,, I can feel your emotions,,, thinking of selling my beloved Bambi,,, i will shed some tears,, but be happy for bringing joy to others,, big hugs,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #3079
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Bon voyage. The prospective owners of my 2004 28' Classic are here in town from Minnesota. I am the second owner and the original owner was from Minnesota, not far from where she's headed. She may well be going home in the morning. I am in and out dusting shining and ruminating...if it doesn't sell will I be sad? Maybe not so much. She's a good Airstream, I may be prejudiced but the year and trim level and floor plan is ideal for long road trips and extended stays, top of the line, couldn't be more comfortable. I am wistful as I contemplate letting go. It's a fine Airstream. Who among us hasn't relinquished ownership yet to set it free to travel and be enjoyed by another? Bittersweet evening. So many memories and dreams are forefront and strong.
Oh gosh!!! I would definitely feel so torn to let go of my Bambi! I can totally understand that it would be bittersweet! I know though that it would travel the road again with new excited and happy campers! That part would feel so good!

I'm so glad that there has been recents posts here. I miss you gals!!!! I'm recovering from back surgery but hope to take a trip down to LA to see my son. Sometime in the later part of May. Is anyone interested in meeting somewhere along my way down. I would probably go from Eugene, straight down I-5. Just let me know your thoughts. Thanks and take care everyone!!!! Safe travels!! ~Cari~
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #3080
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Greetings, Silver Sister...anyone near Ohio? I'm the one to push for camping and will be doing the driving and setting up the camper to tow. My husband helps me but he's not infected by the aluminitis bug the way I am.

I'm new to camping but have farm raised skills and independence. I'm hoping to find like minded souls out there.
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote