Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #681
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
This thread is unbelievable. It has no end which may be a good thing in this circumstance. Lots of stories and anecdotal experiences dealing with "The Club".

I believe the word that comes to mind is "clueless".

Maybe if the "Central Committee" members of the IBT are reading these postings they may finally get an inkling - a clue. Then again, from what I have been reading about their antics, maybe not.

On va voir!

MisterMike
Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #682
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Actually - hang on to your collective berets - there is more news coming on the front! I'll just start a new thread at the appropriate time....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #683
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Well, it seems that the lack of concern of it's members by IBT, has now drifted down to some individual units, as well.

I called and left a message "TWICE" for a group officer, to call me, so that I could donate some door prizes for a regional rally.

Still waiting for the call, but I don't really believe that it will happen, since that rally, is now over.

Maybe it's because I donated to the local group, my refund check from WBCCI headquarters, that was for my resignation.

No questions of any kind, as to why I decided to resign, from headquarters or the local unit.

That was interesting as well.

I did say previously, that I would continue to be supportive to the local unit, but after this, I have to ask myself, "WHY".

Andy

Andy,

I actually received a form letter from JC today, asking why I didn't renew and touting the advantages of membership. Rather than waste time writing a thesis, I just inked a short paragraph in the comments section that basically stated "The IBT is mismangaging the WBCCI into oblivion, and that I would return when a new club arises from the ashes."

BTW, to reiterate publicly my PM to you.....we really did appreciate the nice prizes you donated to the Canopener Rally. I have a flag that was flown over the Arizona, on my retirement date when I retired in Hawaii.....would have liked to have gotten the medallion. If you go out to the PACAF Hqs building at Hickam AFB, you will still see the bullet holes in the sides of the building......"lest we forget."

Ron

AIR # 22776
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #684
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Andy,

I actually received a form letter from JC today, asking why I didn't renew and touting the advantages of membership. Rather than waste time writing a thesis, I just inked a short paragraph in the comments section that basically stated "The IBT is mismangaging the WBCCI into oblivion, and that I would return when a new club arises from the ashes."

BTW, to reiterate publicly my PM to you.....we really did appreciate the nice prizes you donated to the Canopener Rally. I have a flag that was flown over the Arizona, on my retirement date when I retired in Hawaii.....would have liked to have gotten the medallion. If you go out to the PACAF Hqs building at Hickam AFB, you will still see the bullet holes in the sides of the building......"lest we forget."

Ron
Hi Ron.

For those that are interested in contributing to a "Never to be forgotten Memorial", by visiting their web site, and finding many things that are considered "collector items".

Browsing COINS & MEDALLIONS

During my visit there on February 7th, 2010, I noticed that they had several USA flags, in various sizes, that flew over the Memorial on December 7th, 2009 in stock.

Many Medallions are also available.

I purchased several of those flags and a bunch of Medallions, for door prizes at a variety of Airstream functions.

But, please be supportive, with your purchases, however small, to keep that Memorial, "forever alive" so that we and our new generations understand the statement, Lest We Never Forget.

Andy 9.1
Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #685
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
getting out of hand!

one cannot help but notice that the "Wally Byam Birthday Bash" thread on this forum appears to be "gone"!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...ash-57200.html

what the hell is going on, here? I was making a joke about "film at 11" earlier today, but I guess that might have inadvertently been clairvoyant???

this is all supposed to be about camping, adventure, camaraderie, and having a nice time, together....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 AM   #686
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
one cannot help but notice that the "Wally Byam Birthday Bash" thread on this forum appears to be "gone"!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...ash-57200.html

what the hell is going on, here? I was making a joke about "film at 11" earlier today, but I guess that might have inadvertently been clairvoyant???

this is all supposed to be about camping, adventure, camaraderie, and having a nice time, together....
I had my thread pulled. As the original poster I was who had it done. A great deal has transpired in the past couple of days that has resulted in the need to remove the thread. The WBBB is no longer being held. Yes, that is right... Instead we are hosting The Airstream Founders Birthday Bash. A new thread will be started and everything will the be same. You may want to be careful about using Mr, Byams name. It appears some organization believes they own it....
Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #687
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I had my thread pulled. As the original poster I was who had it done. A great deal has transpired in the past couple of days that has resulted in the need to remove the thread. The WBBB is no longer being held. Yes, that is right... Instead we are hosting The Airstream Founders Birthday Bash. A new thread will be started and everything will the be same. You may want to be careful about using Mr, Byams name. It appears some organization believes they own it....
I tryed to click the link it said I did not have permission to do so???

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #688
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Being a registered attendee of the AFBB (formerly known as the WBBB) I have a bit more background to the disappearance of the thread than likely many of the participants in this thread. The actions of the WBCCI against the organizers of the AFBB are sad and despicable. It is yet another waste of my membership dollars to pay some law firm to draw up letters, motions, whatever about this.

Buttercup, Rob, Frank; you've all alluded in past posts to a new AS club. This can't come soon enough. I've had it with the WBCCI.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #689
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
You may want to be careful about using Mr, Byams name. It appears some organization believes they own it....
As another registered participant of the now-AFBB, words can not convey the anger I feel about the fact that "some organization" "owns" my 2010 dues money.

I never got around to putting red numbers on my beloved painted endcaps - they'll never appear on any trailer I own. Just trying to decide if, given the money I wasted already, I want to spend the postage to send them back..

Tom
Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #690
_

. , .
VERY EARLY in the rally planning/posting stage...

there were warnings about NOT using words/n/names that are the 'property' of others...

wally's name, his image and the other logo/brand related WORDS/IMAGES are registered WITH the club as their intellectual property...

when the club was cut loose by a/s-beatrice those words, imagines and so on were signed over in the legal documents.

protecting who/how/where those words and images are used is/should be expected.

and i suspect that many club members WANT that protection to happen.

even dale suggested NOT using wallez name.

the home office probably received MANY letters from members about THIS issue...

the club has a responsibility to protect it's property, i'm sure they take NO PLEASURE from fulfilling that responsibility.

the A word is handled exactly the same way by a/s corp in jc.

one can NOT simply start using the A word (especially in print/media) to promote an event or sell stuff, at least not for long.

has ne1 noticed that MOST of the forum rally names include NONE of these legally protected/owned terms?

pick a name/theme that is is creative and original and UNrelated.

move away from RUBBING a rally into others faces.

not only is THAT approach filled with ego traps and pitfalls, it's a bad seed to plant.

conceive, plan and HAVE new events and tribal names and gathers and so on...

WITHOUT the motivation to RUB the old order and none of these problems will be part of the package...

really say goodbye and move on...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #691
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
This is true.....and once again, 2Air you are correct that the club should protect their name from being used by others as a way to promote their product, event and in this case by some to undermine the original club.

Not saying the promoters/hosts are doing this.....maybe they were. Yea, some definitely were. I spoke my mind about this five hundred posts ago suggesting those that had no experience with the club (non members) and those that never considered joining were using this thread as their own whipping boy to vent against the club. Those statements of discontent rang hollow.

That Rob and Frank were able to join the club, experience the good, bad and sometimes the ugly and decide to quit because of their disappointment with the IBT and international experience is their choice.
And their opinions mattered.

The WBBB was a wbcci event before the s*#t hit the fan. After Rob's departure the name and logo was certainly a gray area as far as branding was concerned.

I think many will think poorly of the club hiring a law firm to write an expensive letter to Rob. I did at first....would someone from HQ just make a phone call and ask Rob to change that....that's just too simple. Oh no, there goes another thousand dollars. (my guess on the cost) But they were protecting their brand and just like Airstream Co. they see this as part of the ownership and identity that has been cultivated over fifty years.

But..... it is ironic that some of the same group that wanted to get rid of the Founders name are now sending legal letters to protect it. My, how things go around.

NOW......had that club name change happened a few years ago, where would this be now?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #692
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I want all concerned to know that instead of playing games we just complied. We met all of their demands but one. The Bash was not supposed to be a political event and it will not be. A new thread has been started and if you want to talk about the up coming Bash please do.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #693
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Hello Gary:

Your recent post on this subject compels me to try to explain my point of view on whether this thread is indiscriminate "club bashing" or just a good constructive discussion. For the sake of clarity I refer back to your earlier post on the subject quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
What is strange to me are the responses from many Airstream owners that have not attended group events, rallies, meets but feel the need to express their views as to why this would not work for them. .......To this I would have to ask? Then why do you care? Why share the negative opinions with others that may be interested in joining and attending events?
I would like nothing better than to join the unit in my part of the world (which I see is the same as yours) and try the events in which members normally partake together to determine whether they are right for me and my family. However our interests are local here to New England mainly due to time constraints and the fact that there is so much to see and do within a day's drive that we don't have to go farther afield. I am not retired nor do I have the luxury of time to be able to caravan off to wherever the "International" is being held at the moment. In short my interests in using my Airstream for 2-3 day recreational purposes with my family are entirely at the local level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
I spoke my mind about this five hundred posts ago suggesting those that had no experience with the club (non members) and those that never considered joining were using this thread as their own whipping boy to vent against the club. Those statements of discontent rang hollow.
When I acquired my Airstream Caravel trailer I seriously considered joining the WBCCI because I have friends who are members. This until I learned more about the manner in which the WBCCI is run at the highest level. I feel that not having ever been a member and not knowing anyone connected with the leadership/IBT makes me a neutral observer with no axes to grind against anyone personally. I am not "discontented" in any way and I don't think I am "venting" either but I learned things about what I consider to be fiscal irresponsibility and I came to the decision that I do not wish to contribute any of my hard-earned $$$, receiving nothing in return to an organization that condones this kind of activity.

This entire thread is in itself an indictment of the way the WBCCI is managed but NOT of the organization itself or the members that comprise it. I don't feel that any of the posts I read were used as a "whipping boy" but merely an exchange of ideas and experiences. My posts were intended to give my perspective on why I decided against joining the club at this time.

I think it is very important to know why people who are eligible to join the club are declining the opportunity to become members. I do not consider opinions of this nature to be "hollow" but believe them to be truly constructive and hopefully of value at some point in the future for a very simple reason. If your beloved WBCCI club does not recruit new members it will surely perish from the fact of the earth through attrition as the membership ages and dies off. And that would be a shame.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #694
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The WBCCI INC. needs to decide whether it wants to change to survive. As currently structured the International level does not meet the needs and expectations of the majority of its current members or other potential members, who are seeking a local social camping club. The current International leaders only financially support the International Rally, National Caravans and Special Event Rallies. The local units are left to their own to meet the needs of these working members, but must also financially shoulder the burden of subsidizing the Region and International officers $125,000 travel allowances and the $200,000 overhead burden for running the central office. The only thing they get in return is an insurance policy to protect the local officers from liability suites. The working members (not able to attend Internationals or National Caravans) do receive a subscription to the Blue Beret.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #695
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations, the IBT has finally responded and communicated in reference to an internet posting and you didn't even have to use their forum! And some of you thought the IBT couldn't actually use the internet.

Well guys I guess you do have their attention afterall. You have been recognized as a threat. That's pretty big potatoes, isn't it?

Have a great Birthday rally!!!!

photography
Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #696
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
Hello Gary:

Your recent post on this subject compels me to try to explain my point of view on whether this thread is indiscriminate "club bashing" or just a good constructive discussion. For the sake of clarity I refer back to your earlier post on the subject quoted below.

I would like nothing better than to join the unit in my part of the world (which I see is the same as yours) and try the events in which members normally partake together to determine whether they are right for me and my family. However our interests are local here to New England mainly due to time constraints and the fact that there is so much to see and do within a day's drive that we don't have to go farther afield. I am not retired nor do I have the luxury of time to be able to caravan off to wherever the "International" is being held at the moment. In short my interests in using my Airstream for 2-3 day recreational purposes with my family are entirely at the local level.

When I acquired my Airstream Caravel trailer I seriously considered joining the WBCCI because I have friends who are members. This until I learned more about the manner in which the WBCCI is run at the highest level. I feel that not having ever been a member and not knowing anyone connected with the leadership/IBT makes me a neutral observer with no axes to grind against anyone personally. I am not "discontented" in any way and I don't think I am "venting" either but I learned things about what I consider to be fiscal irresponsibility and I came to the decision that I do not wish to contribute any of my hard-earned $$$, receiving nothing in return to an organization that condones this kind of activity.

This entire thread is in itself an indictment of the way the WBCCI is managed but NOT of the organization itself or the members that comprise it. I don't feel that any of the posts I read were used as a "whipping boy" but merely an exchange of ideas and experiences. My posts were intended to give my perspective on why I decided against joining the club at this time.

I think it is very important to know why people who are eligible to join the club are declining the opportunity to become members. I do not consider opinions of this nature to be "hollow" but believe them to be truly constructive and hopefully of value at some point in the future for a very simple reason. If your beloved WBCCI club does not recruit new members it will surely perish from the fact of the earth through attrition as the membership ages and dies off. And that would be a shame.
Hi MrMike

I should have said......the comments ring hollow to me.

But I would suggest you are playing The Airstream club Monopoly Game with play money by contributing how much money you have lost and little value received. Had you joined and attended club events in the region you would be much less biased about the lack of value offered for the real money spent on yearly fees. How can you make statements about "receiving nothing in return" even in Monopoly you get to keep the make believe drug store till the end of the game.

If I am correct you have not spent a dime or sent any message to club management as of yet. They gloss right over these comments because it obivous by your posts the axe still needs grinding. I am not sure why the Greek chorus of anti clubbers get their hairs crossed and feel the need to contribute so often. Constructive comments are rare here.

Until you have joined the club, attended a few good events and one or two bad ones, you cannot comment about the money ill spent, the boring opening/closing ceremony, the bad entertainment and lets not even start on the food!

Let me remind you that you are missing fun, fellowship blah blah blah and also a country and western acts that have seem better times, magic acts that you would cross the street to avoid, little old ladies that WILL stare you down if you return for that second donut, and, yes, even an ELVIS impersonator once.

This kind of stuff is PRICELESS....and worth every minute.

And you get to talk about your trailer.

So stop beating yourself and all of us and JUST JUMP!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #697
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Good Bye's sweet sorrow

Not having this anymore will bring a tear to my eye, but a man has to do what a man has to do.... but knowing the proceeds will go to good use. I'm sure someone can use this.

Search Ebay for the following item:
Washington DC WBCCI Airstream Club Flag

Enjoy. In the near future, you'll see tons of WBCCI coming up too.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #698
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Keep your flag Rob, it is part of your past and will remind you of the good times. You can fly it, why not? It offends you now? It's not like anyone who isn't WBCCI will know, and not like anyone who is WBCCI doesn't know your position. I bet it looks good on your beautiful vintage Airstream. It belongs to you, in more ways than purchase price. It's a war souvenir. You earned it. ...Besides anything WBCCI may soon become an artifact of history and history only.

Renegades club with crossed out red numbers needs a flag. Where's that Phoenix? Seems you and Leo may be able to put something good into the works.

photography
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #699
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
As one wise old guy said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Keep your flag Rob, it is part of your past and will remind you of the good times. You can fly it, why not? It offends you now? It's not like anyone who isn't WBCCI will know, and not like anyone who is WBCCI doesn't know your position. I bet it looks good on your beautiful vintage Airstream. It belongs to you, in more ways than purchase price. It's a war souvenir. You earned it. ...Besides anything WBCCI may soon become an artifact of history and history only.

Renegades club with crossed out red numbers needs a flag. Where's that Phoenix? Seems you and Leo may be able to put something good into the works.
"If it were me, I'd have nothing to do with the WBCCI...." and I agree...

I want NOTHING to do with them, and although, YES, it does look good on the 58, it will only remind me of a bunch of "Quality" individuals... I've got memories for the good times with the WDCU.

Thanks!! - I don't need WBCCI telling me I can't fly my flag.. just don't need it.

I've got a nice Past President pin that's going up next. Stay tuned! How about a VAC Concourse d'Elegance Silver award. OH yeah - my window's still not fixed and I'll use the proceeds for the REAL glass that I could not get in Wisconsin.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #700
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Well I know that unit of yours is drop dead gorgeous. I was glad we over in Metro detroit were able to meet you and the family and have a tour of your handiwork.

WBCCI somehow seems to have acquired a knack for turning members gainst the club. Perhaps the IBT should stop shuffling the responsibility for recruitment and retention down onto the unit and accept their shortcomings as a wake-up call and own up to it, apologize and change their ways while they have any club left or possibility to win any members back into the fold.

photography
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com