Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #1021
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Wachuko just ordered the WeatherTech floor mats for front and center. I agree with you, the TB supplied mats are attractive but a pain to keep clean especially if you travel with a Golden retriever as we do. Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Next, will be the ladder you linked. Seems to be the lightest, easiest to install, most convenient way to have ready access to the roof without using any valuable storage space. Thanks again for the links.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #1022
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge

WeatherTech mats are something we use on all our vehicles. They work great and fit really well. Use their trunk liners as well to keep the messes under control.
No financial interest, just a family full of happy customers. Highly recommended by the department of “overkill engineering” [emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #1023
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Got the recommendation of using that plug from the article that was shared in another thread in the forum.... this article:

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

WACHUKO - I just pulled up that link. Apart from the magnetic oil drain plug, that has a pretty darn good article/argument about the MB Sprinter 20,000 mile oil change schedule. I, for one, was not going to go that long anyways. All my vehicles (cheap, expensive, old, or new) run only on Mobil1 Full Synthethic. Been a fan since they first came out. My practice is still 8,000-10,000 miles or 2x per year (start of summer and start of winter). The guy even goes as far as 3,000-5,000 depending on cold weather vs. hot S/W weather. Don't know I would go that far since I have not had any issues with my "extended oil change intervals".
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #1024
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Alex, I plan to do the first now... ordered everything for it... will be done at around 5K miles. But only the first as I like the first oil change to be done early on (and also gives me the opportunity to install the magnetic plug). From that point on I was planning on changing the oil every 7.5K miles... I will be doing the oil changes myself, so what I waste on early oil changes I save on labor.

I need to decide on the frequency of the fuel filter. In the BMW I replace fuel filter every other oil change. Might do the same with the AI.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #1025

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Wachuko just ordered the WeatherTech floor mats for front and center. I agree with you, the TB supplied mats are attractive but a pain to keep clean especially if you travel with a Golden retriever as we do. Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Next, will be the ladder you linked. Seems to be the lightest, easiest to install, most convenient way to have ready access to the roof without using any valuable storage space. Thanks again for the links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
WeatherTech mats are something we use on all our vehicles. They work great and fit really well. Use their trunk liners as well to keep the messes under control.
No financial interest, just a family full of happy customers. Highly recommended by the department of “overkill engineering” [emoji3]
On the WeatherTech, I am trying to decide if I go with black or gray... inclined to go with black since the carpet now is black as well and the contrast looks fine...

On the ladder... not only do you not have to drill to install it but you can continue to open the door all the way without issues...

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #1026
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex, I plan to do the first now... ordered everything for it... will be done at around 5K miles. But only the first as I like the first oil change to be done early on (and also gives me the opportunity to install the magnetic plug). From that point on I was planning on changing the oil every 7.5K miles... I will be doing the oil changes myself, so what I waste on early oil changes I save on labor.

I need to decide on the frequency of the fuel filter. In the BMW I replace fuel filter every other oil change. Might do the same with the AI.
WACHUKO - I just turned 5k miles and also planning my 1st oil change soon. Then going on my 8-10K schedule thereafter. That guy Tom Stephens seems to approach maintenance like I do, that is if MB (or Mobil) says 20K oil changes are ok, then I shoot for 40-50% of that interval. For me, it's never a problem coz I rarely put over 10k/yr. on any vehicle. But I think my AI usage would top that which would still put me at 2 oild changes per yr.

He says 30k miles on fuel filter. I have had to replace fuel filters and fuel pumps on low mileage cars (under 2k miles/yr.) even with premium gas & Sta-Bil before storage). My mechanic says these go out even more on low mileage cars due to lack of use. He may have a point. I just dropped gas tank on my daughter's minivan for it's 1st ever fuel pump replacement (155,000 miles and not letting gas tank run close to empty, especially in summer).
Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #1027

Orlando , Florida
Thinking of going with 80/20 for building the rear shelf... that way I continue with my undeveloped woodworking skills...

I will get the counter board bit to use on the vertical supports and secure those with the rest of the structure...

2 - 1.5" x .75" x 13" T-Slotted Extrusion on top. Secured to the bottom of the cabinet (cloth hangers have been removed)...
4 - 1.50” X 1.50” x 10" Lite Smooth Surface T-Slotted Profile - Single Open T-Slots for vertical supports
2 - 80/20 Inc., 1517-LS, 15 Series, 1.5" x 1.5" Lite Smooth T-Slotted Quarter Round Extrusion x 60" for front and back support... round ends to bump head into with minimal brain damage.
2 - 1.5"x 1.5" x 12" 80/20 Inc., 1502-LS, Smooth Bi-Slot Adjacent T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion for side support to complete the bottom frame. So from below it will all look nice and smooth

Sliding a perforated (thinking elongated holes or squared just to give it a nicer look, not sure - looking to get from here) aluminum sheet inside the frame... some small angle supports secured to both the alum sheet and frame to avoid the sheet from coming off in some extreme flex situation...some Aluminum T-Slot Cover to finish it all off... and voila!

I hope I have not forgotten something... but this will allow be to build it all fairly easy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Slotted Extrusion for shelf.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	316402   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Slotted Extrusion for shelf-front and back.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	316403  

Name:	T-Slotted Extrusion for shelf-Side Supports.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	316404   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Slotted Extrusion for shelf-Down Supports-2.JPG
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	316405  

Name:	aluminum perforated sheet.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	316414   Click image for larger version

Name:	aluminum-grill-mesh-sheet-long-hole-3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	316415  

Name:	aluminum-perforated-grill-mesh-square-hole-2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	316416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3217.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	316418  

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	316419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	316420  

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #1028

Orlando , Florida
I can hear my brother telling me... "so you can do this with about 40.00 worth of wood but instead you are going to spend how much in all that fancy aluminum?!!!"
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #1029

Orlando , Florida
Also this weekend while I was figuring out what to do for the shelf... I looked into one of the side shades that the control and wiring had come off the tape holding it... I need to go back and use some of the extra 3M double face tape I have left from installing the solar panel. Photos attached. In the photo, I had already placed the control back in the old tape that it fell from, need to redo it as I am certain it will fall again...

There is also a photo of one of the inserts that hold the bottom piece in the rail... that had come off as well. They just slide into the bottom piece of the blind (one on each end).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3225.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	316435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3222.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	316436  

Name:	IMG_3221.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	316437  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #1030
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I can hear my brother telling me... "so you can do this with about 40.00 worth of wood but instead you are going to spend how much in all that fancy aluminum?!!!"
WACHUKO - Can't wait to see this. The fancy materials you chose would make this look really nice. Would your design be permanent or easily removable?

I had to abandon the permanent high shelf due to my need to use my low shelf to occasionally transport my bike inside the AI. The permanent high shelf would have restricted the height clearance for bike to fit from low shelf. Since I only intend to place lightweight items like blankets/pillows/bedding on high shelf (for safety reasons), I decided to use the existing existing flip-down hangers and attach 3 removable fabric-lined deep containers that flip-down from couch side or rear door side. Allows me flexibility to take off containers in seconds when I have to transport my bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180508_110100 (616x800).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	316439  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #1031

Orlando , Florida
Alex,

I will be easy to remove. Four bolts and the four vertical supports slide out with the rest of the self.

The only thing that would remain are the two upper supports. But these are finished in smooth aluminum and will have end caps. So they will look nice even if not in use.

These will be installed using the same holes that the hanger was using. In addition I plan to drill through those that do not screw into the wood panel that is inside the upper cabinet. I will make them go through and secure with regular bolts and nuts...will make sense if you see the inside upper cabinet, there is a divider in there on each side... the zinc plated screws you see in the attached photo are hidden by the hanger plastic cover...

And when I say regular bolts and nuts, I mean that I will drill the support and tap it... and use a regular bolt from inside the cabinet... will have to go back and forth a bit to get the right length to avoid it from protruding in the support... but you get the idea...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T-Slotted Extrusion for shelf-facing down.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	316446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3220-with comments.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	316447  

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #1032
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
Also this weekend while I was figuring out what to do for the shelf... I looked into one of the side shades that the control and wiring had come off the tape holding it... I need to go back and use some of the extra 3M double face tape I have left from installing the solar panel. Photos attached. In the photo, I had already placed the control back in the old tape that it fell from, need to redo it as I am certain it will fall again...

There is also a photo of one of the inserts that hold the bottom piece in the rail... that had come off as well. They just slide into the bottom piece of the blind (one on each end).
I had the dreaded blind failure on our last trip. Hoped it was the loose wire that pulled out of that first class wiring job from the factory or it was DOA at the dealer and replaced ? Long story short, I got it working again. I put a screw in the wire retainer because I don' t think the 3M will hold up either.
We must think the same about cars. I had two Fiat spiders and a firebird formula.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180702_113317.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	316461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_044244.jpg
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	316462  

GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #1033
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex,

I will be easy to remove. Four bolts and the four vertical supports slide out with the rest of the self.

... but you get the idea...
WACHUKO - I get the idea much better now after your reply. I was thinking you were pursuing your original sketch from awhile back. Can't wait to see it. And with how easy it will be to remove, I may copy your design. Alas, will have to find another use for my containers but already have ideas for that if your design works for my needs. Thanks you!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #1034
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
I had the dreaded blind failure on our last trip. Hoped it was the loose wire that pulled out of that first class wiring job from the factory or it was DOA at the dealer and replaced ? Long story short, I got it working again. I put a screw in the wire retainer because I don' t think the 3M will hold up either.
GETRIDAONE - Great that you got it working again. The 3M won't hold up in extreme heat. Have already seen it in mine. The screw is a good idea. Or even replacing the retainers completely with tie wraps that have screw mounting holes.

Name:   images.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  6.2 KB

I have been sourcing different smaller connectors too, but will wait until my unit is close to end of warranty to clip out all the bulky connectors and replace with slimmer ones.

I would bet a big portion of shade failures is due to either wiring failure or wiring entanglement that causes the motors to burn up. IF AS just cleaned up their wiring job with proper retainers & connectors, they would dramatically reduce the failures. This otherwise excellent idea is being overshadowed by horrible execution.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #1035

Orlando , Florida
Red face

I have to share...can’t keep all the laughter just in the family... I am here at the local Jewett Orthopedics with an excruciating pain in my right foot... I am thinking fractured foot or something... Nope, all good...it is due to an over exercised big toe... turns out I did not realized that I brake with just my toe instead of my whole foot... not a problem with light weight cars but an issue with doing the same in the AI... I mean
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #1036
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I have to share...can’t keep all the laughter just in the family... I am here at the local Jewett Orthopedics with an excruciating pain in my right foot... I am thinking fractured foot or something... Nope, all good...it is due to an over exercised big toe... turns out I did not realized that I brake with just my toe instead of my whole foot... not a problem with light weight cars but an issue with doing the same in the AI... I mean
OK, that is definitely a funny one that I have never heard of. But how do you end up hurting just the toe? Do you drive AI with flip-flops a lot? I do sometimes, especially when we are at So Cal beaches. But with normal shoes, that seems not possible to hurt toe with the stiffer soles?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #1037

Orlando , Florida
No flip-flops... wife says that I am always wearing my uniform... Polo shirt, jeans, short socks, and Sperry Top-Siders shoes... boat shoes with flexible soles. I have been wearing the same style clothes since high-school... I kid you not... jeans can be any brand, don't care, but the shirt has to be Ralph Lauren Polo of the soft material (or the new ones that are great for the heat) and the shoes have to be Sperry Top-Siders... funny how anything else I get just sits in the closet until I am forced to put it on... well, I do use shorts from time to time

Need to stop the heel and toe and start using my complete foot for breaking. I am just glad it was nothing fractured. Cold packs, some Advil for the pain until it goes away and it should all be good in a couple of weeks.

On other news, finalizing the list for the shelf and ordering the parts today. Will not be ordering the perforated aluminum sheet until I have final dimensions for it...
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #1038
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I’ve had a number of Lotus Europas (type 54, so the name).
I have very wide feet, and those have tiny pedals spaced very closely. So I wore wrestling shoes. That way I wouldn’t hit the brake when pressing the throttle.
(I had to get them extra long, since I coudn’t Find anyone that made them in 4E)

Loads of foot room in the AI, I wear boots a lot of the time.
(No Lotus at this moment in time).

Sorry for the threadjack

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BE5C8425-DAF1-4109-A08F-0C236278BE28.jpeg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	316512  
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #1039

Orlando , Florida
Final measurements taken and parts ordered for the shelf.

2 - 1517-LS - 1.5" x 1.5" x 58"
4 - 1501-LS - 1.5" x 1.5" x 9"
2 - 1575 - 1.5" x .75" x 16"
1 - 1503-LS - 1.5" x .75" x 12" - got this one in case I decide to place a support in the center of the shelf...
2 - 1502-LS - 1.5" x .75" x 12"
14 - 3360 - these are the Anchor Fastener Assembly
1 - 6060 - Drill bit for the Anchor Fastener Counterbore... l can do the holes/bores at home, just needed the correct bit. This way I avoid having to pay them to do it.

Total with shipping: US$248.62

For the perforated sheet, going with the 1/4" square holes (straight pattern) and 1/8" thickness. But ordering later... need to see if I can buy locally or find where to buy it from online. I also want to do one last measurement once the structure is built. To avoid ordering incorrect size... should be around 13.5" x 56.5" since it takes .75" on each side when you slide into the slot - I would like to order and just slide in place . I will get the gasket needed as well as the panel retainers (just for added peace of mind) when I order the aluminum sheet...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 5.22.11 PM.png
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	316536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 5.25.08 PM.png
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	316538  

Attached Images

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #1040
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Final measurements taken and parts ordered

I will get the gasket needed as well as the panel retainers (just for added peace of mind) when I order the aluminum sheet...
WACHUKO - these pics of retainer actually make it clear how the whole design will assemble together. I agree, I would put the retainers just as a safety thing. Better over safe than just safe