Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #1001
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Curious if you looked into this solution for bedding up front?

https://www.notelusa.com/

It looks like it could be an option and uses the grab bars, etc. to distribute the weight.

Love the pics of the trip... keep them coming.

Interesting - there was also a nice DIYRV article about this new Notel product.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/bed-suv-truck-notel/
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #1002
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Curious if you looked into this solution for bedding up front?
https://www.notelusa.com/

It looks like it could be an option and uses the grab bars, etc. to distribute the weight.

Love the pics of the trip... keep them coming.
I have not...with three of us sleeping in the back and one in the front, I have not had the need to even build a second platform for another bed... Depending on the plans for the next day my son and I would trade places... destinations where we stayed more than a day, he slept in the front... if we had to leave early then I would sleep in the front to be able to put everything away, disconnect, and head out while they all slept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05E29F83-A9E2-4314-8E92-A077D2847E5F.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	315861  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #1003

Orlando , Florida
During the last fuel stop I noticed tire sidewall indentations in the front tires. I was worried that would be an issue but kept driving hoping it was not going to blow up during the drive back (we decided not to stop tonight and just drive straight home...should be home in another 4 hours)...

Anyway, family got hungry, wife wants to empty fridge...so we stopped, fired the generator and we are cooking and reheating leftovers...A/C on as well and at full blast...love it!!!

Got a chance to google the tire issue... it is normal

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec....jsp?techid=32
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	95AF4AD6-4BAB-4CB8-9AD9-BE68589F76B1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	315865   Click image for larger version

Name:	3FC32AAF-4CCC-4732-B695-48F6EEB63829.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	315866  

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #1004
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I’ve seen that on lots of tyres before that never had an issue.

(I just replaced all four of mine today- they were getting thin)

Glad you are having fun!
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #1005

Orlando , Florida
This was new to me... don’T recall ever seeing that. Just happy that is normal and nothing to worry about.

Well, we just got home. Good night and Happy Independence Day!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #1006
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This was new to me... don’T recall ever seeing that. Just happy that is normal and nothing to worry about.

Well, we just got home. Good night and Happy Independence Day!!
WACHUKO - very nice trip. Thanks for sharing pics, showed my wife - she loved the shopping spree pic

Glad you mentioned & found info on the tires. I actually have the same, also on front. AS dealer did not know if it was something to be worried, so said to just swing by MB dealer just to be sure. I had setup appt. but now with your info, will cancel. I did not even think of searching the net, coz I was almost sure it was not normal. It was new to me too.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #1007

Orlando , Florida
Alex, thank you. It has been great to be able to read the post from you and others that have shared photos and narratives along the way. Some of the stops and places we visited came from recommendations from folks here. Did not get to all of them, but now have a larger list of places to see/visit when we come back through these states...

On other news...got the bags. Will use these for now. Hoses and power cord clean and now stored in the bags (picture is of before putting them in). Water pressure regulator came in ( oh the shame!! LOL )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F8CDF31E-46D8-4BFA-B669-CE018EAD33D5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	315915  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #1008

Orlando , Florida
Cool

One more photo

Well two...baby is now clean from road grime...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AAE62E1E-5727-4364-A65A-E0A9A60608B1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	315929   Click image for larger version

Name:	996ACB42-A233-4417-8657-66E2939E057D.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	315930  

WBCCI #26769
Old 07-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #1009

Orlando , Florida
Some learnings... I know this is all old news to those that have been doing this for awhile, but still wanted to share.

1. Check the departure list. Always!! Less expensive than buying everything again...
2. That Propane Switch inside? Amazing!!! Can't remember who recommended it... but thank you!! The convenience of just flipping the switch inside when we needed to use the A/C or the microwave was soooo great... and we used it a lot!
3. Must always have some fresh water in the tank... Thank you Mark (Lotus54) for reminding me to do so. Having the ability for the kids and wife to use the bathroom without the need to stop, saved us a lot of time.
4. Hydrate! There is never enough bottled water... we took two 24 packs and bought a 3rd during the trip... all gone by the time we got back home.
5. Feeling better about not having the self-leveling jacks... use of the blocks was easy my marriage is not at risk, lol. I thought this was going to be a stressful process with the wife it was not.
6. Still want a quieter A/C... this is now higher in the list than the leveling jacks.
7. Still want the shelf in the back similar to what John did (Pahaska). That will alleviate some storage issues we still have. This will be my next project. It will help to keep stuff out of the way or having to move it during the day... even if I initially can't finish it with the same laminate the Tommy has (I need to order it). I can always take it out and do the finishing when the laminate arrives.
8. Review mirror was also a great addition to be able to look back at the kids or just to look at what fell during a turn, lol.
9. At 10,920 we were still slightly under the 11,030 GVWR... took the time to stop and validate total weight while traveling. This was with full tank of diesel and tanks at: 25% fresh; 20% gray; 18% black
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV CAT session-all.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	315960  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #1010
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Some learnings...

3. Must always have some fresh water in the tank... Thank you Mark (Lotus54) for reminding me to do so. Having the ability for the kids and wife to use the bathroom without the need to stop, saved us a lot of time.
We travel with plenty of fresh water in our tank whether we're in the trailer or in the van. Bathroom stops, en-route showers, food preparation, washing hands, etc. would not be possible otherwise. Every few days we replenish the supply - choosing to do this when needed and when the water source is to our liking. All we hook up to in the evening is the electric pedestal. Dumping the tanks and filling the fresh tank only need to be done twice a week or so (there are only two of us).

A side benefit of using the fresh water pump every day is we are constantly reminded (when we hear the pump) that the water is coming from somewhere (the fresh tank) and going somewhere (gray or black). You'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly you learn to conserve water.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #1011

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

You bring a very good point, and something I noticed with the kids... awareness of water consumption and where it was coming from and going to... They are getting it... the hang of it, using it all and being conscious of not wasting water. Feels great when I see that... same as when they just start talking more than they ever have simply because they are disconnected from the computers and phones (we would grab the phones and put them away for parts of the trip just to encourage watching the scenery instead of a screen)...

During the last segment of our trip, it was 18 hours of driving for me, we only stopped for diesel and to eat... Wife was tired (and she was not driving, but her clock is set for going to bed at 8-9pm, ), so she moved over to the bed (we kept the bed made all the time) and my daughter was in the co-pilot seat singing, talking... just making sure that I was okay during the last 3-4 hours left to get home... She was telling me that she wants to practice driving the AI so I will work on that with her... not planning of letting her go on her own, lol, but she wants to help me with the driving in future trips.

There is sooo much we drove by without seeing... we knew this before the trip... I mention this because I had an invitation from a group of friends that were riding a similar route and I had to decline because I already had plans with the family for this trip... We were driving one day ahead of them, but they kept sending me photos of their trip... So many things to see and experience in Memphis... they went to the Pyramid, Beale Street, B.B. King's Blues Club, etc.

Add to that the additional recommendations I was getting from the folks here...and the ones that I also had (like visiting Jack Daniels and the caves)... I now have a long list of places to visit in Tennessee....

Next trip is back to Top Sail in August... we want to experience that beach during summer, before the kids go back to school.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BPS Pyramid.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	316010  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #1012
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
There are always things you miss seeing. But that's ok. You have a specific family trip planned, and you can always go back another time.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:50 AM   #1013
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad you made it home safe and sound!

Please forgive another reality check [term from your other thread about road planners, atlases, etc.], but the following is a recipe for disaster IMO:
Quote:
. . .
During the last segment of our trip, it was 18 hours of driving for me, we only stopped for diesel and to eat...
. . .
. . . daughter . . . making sure that I was okay during the last 3-4 hours left to get home...
. . .
After 18 hours of driving every human being's driving skills are seriously compromised. No one is "okay" at that point IMO.

A very risky move, with such precious cargo on board!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:17 AM   #1014

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Glad you made it home safe and sound!

Please forgive another reality check [term from your other thread about road planners, atlases, etc.], but the following is a recipe for disaster IMO:

After 18 hours of driving every human being's driving skills are seriously compromised. No one is "okay" at that point IMO.

A very risky move, with such precious cargo on board!

Peter
Peter, very true. Promised myself I will not do that again...not worth the risk
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-06-2018, 04:28 AM   #1015
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, your family looked so happy in each photo.

Would be nice to continue that . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #1016

Orlando , Florida
Just sharing temps from fridge from Jun 28 - July 6

Keep in mind that it was being open and close up to July 5.... and I still have not done the fan modification.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fridge Temperatures-July.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	316100  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #1017

Orlando , Florida
List seems to be going in the opposite direction... it was getting shorter until today...
  • Rubber mat to replace the dirt magnet of a carpet that I have now...carpet looks great but I am a slave to it. Several options available from Sprinter Parts Depot; WeatherTech;
  • Magnetic oil drain plug. I keep forgetting to buy one. Getting ready to do an oil change (wanted to do one early on) so also ordering the oil, filter, and a few extra oil plug crush washers
  • Rear shelve with matching TB laminate – link to what John did... - I will have to order the matching laminate. Looking to start building this over the weekend and order the laminate (to later cover it… will not look nice until I do that…)
  • Redo the cover of the foldable bed. I need to round the corners that I forgot to do and are damaging the vinyl. Will recover each piece of wood panel separately in a different material (cloth and beige color). Got everything that I need for this task. Got lazy and did not get to this before our last trip.
  • Fix slow leak in rear tire, driver side, in the inner wheel.
  • Fridge fans modification. Following this thread: Refrigerator ventilation and doing a similar mod to what SeeMore did - link
  • Screen room – this will move higher in priority as the days get warmer and insects are out…
  • Buy and install a drain valve for the fresh water tank (suggestion from Protagonist) to replace the plug currently there. I have been looking at very compact ones and tight 90º elbows to keep it all as close to the tank as possible.
  • Install the ShowerMi$er. Parts moved from the garage to inside the house… that is progress Just need to see when I tackle this one…
  • RakAttach swing-away hitch - size large. This will allow opening the rear doors even if the Vespa or cargo tray are in place. Sweet setup that I saw on Mark's (Lotus54) AI
  • A few things that were discussed in the Spare parts to take on the road thread
    • Bulbs
    • Code Reader (Mercedes SDconnect C4 )
    • Fuel filter
    • Belts
    • Anything else required to change a rear wheel on the road
    • etc
  • Self-leveling system
  • Prime Design - Rear Door Access Ladder
  • Quiet A/C from Advanced RV
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #1018
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Do you know the thread size needed for a magnetic plug? And crush washer size? All fresh water tank drain valves stuck down further than I wanted. Be sure that the fitting does not stick up inside the tank - preventing it from draining completely.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #1019

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Do you know the thread size needed for a magnetic plug? And crush washer size? All fresh water tank drain valves stuck down further than I wanted. Be sure that the fitting does not stick up inside the tank - preventing it from draining completely.
I had to call these folks to confirm:

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/mercedesbenz.php

For the 6 cylinder diesel engine in mine is:

M14x1.5x24 Magnetic Drain Plug For Mercedes Benz
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #1020

Orlando , Florida
And when I said "these folks" did not realized until and hanged up, that I was talking to the owner, Richard Jodoin. He answered the phone after normal business hours... happy to give the business to a local company.

Got the recommendation of using that plug from the article that was shared in another thread in the forum.... this article:

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

WBCCI #26769