Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #5381
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, Bud.

As long as her Mama is there, she will be good to go.

Maggie
For certain her "pack" is back together and all is good.

Safe Travels - Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #5382
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It looks like my summer adventure is going to happen...

I signed up to volunteer with this group last year, and watched for projects in an area I was interested in and at a time when I was available.

https://historicorps.org/

HistoriCorps runs on volunteers, mostly 55 and older, and restores historical structures all over the country...also providing lodging to volunteers via camping or other simple accommodations, as well as meals.

And, as with Habitat builds, a modest bonus is that mileage and other expenses for getting oneself to and from are tax deductible as a charitable donation.

I signed up early this spring for several restoration sessions in July-August in Colorado, including for this old log cabin.

I have been in love with log cabins since I was a child playing with Lincoln logs, always wanted one for myself but when I was able to have a small house of my own I was single mom to two and afraid to live outside of town for fear weather or some other adverse event would separate me from my children. In town, one can always walk, if one has to.

There has throughout my life been an instinctive draw for me to these old dwellings, and my long held belief that I lived in one in a past life...having gone west in a covered wagon.

And so, an actual log cabin not being realistic, the little house was built, replete with a wood stove in the living room as primary heat source...a nod to the dream, only partially realized.

That I am going to have the opportunity to lay my hands on one, and help with its preservation, delights me beyond description.

I will also be working on the wellhouses.

Tasks are able to be tailored to the individual, so I will not be on roofs nor working off ladders.

What an opportunity...historical restoration, working outside in beautiful Colorado, at an elevation allowing temperature comfort.

I am looking forward to the outdoors, the experience and a new adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C734EF5A-4217-47D4-B351-BE2464AE5B09.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	316584  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #5383
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These were hanging with Doug’s favorite Gunsite cap from the hand bar above the passenger seat of the old Interstate.

The Guardian Angel charm was given to me by my daughter long enough ago that it first hung from the rearview mirror in the Toyota Matrix I drove for work.

The bracelet was made by my son in laws mother, the tiny picture was of Doug and I at my daughters wedding in 2013.

We were dancing, I believe...me in a long dress, with my hair done and up, false eyelashes, more makeup than I have ever worn at one time in my life.

I had to cut the strap to the hat to get it off the bar, as the strap wouldn’t release, so it is now permanently retired to the back bedroom, but I am going to hang these together from a silver chain along with a sterling rose I wore for a long time after Doug died...on the same bar in the new Interstate, as he is still my copilot, I do feel, and needs something tangible along with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	517A4497-566D-4FE2-861A-694D541AB925.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	316590  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #5384
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It looks like my summer adventure is going to happen...

I signed up to volunteer with this group last year, and watched for projects in an area I was interested in and at a time when I was available.

https://historicorps.org/

HistoriCorps runs on volunteers, mostly 55 and older, and restores historical structures all over the country...also providing lodging to volunteers via camping or other simple accommodations, as well as meals.

And, as with Habitat builds, a modest bonus is that mileage and other expenses for getting oneself to and from are tax deductible as a charitable donation.

I signed up early this spring for several restoration sessions in July-August in Colorado, including for this old log cabin.

I have been in love with log cabins since I was a child playing with Lincoln logs, always wanted one for myself but when I was able to have a small house of my own I was single mom to two and afraid to live outside of town for fear weather or some other adverse event would separate me from my children. In town, one can always walk, if one has to.

There has throughout my life been an instinctive draw for me to these old dwellings, and my long held belief that I lived in one in a past life...having gone west in a covered wagon.

And so, an actual log cabin not being realistic, the little house was built, replete with a wood stove in the living room as primary heat source...a nod to the dream, only partially realized.

That I am going to have the opportunity to lay my hands on one, and help with its preservation, delights me beyond description.

I will also be working on the wellhouses.

Tasks are able to be tailored to the individual, so I will not be on roofs nor working off ladders.

What an opportunity...historical restoration, working outside in beautiful Colorado, at an elevation allowing temperature comfort.

I am looking forward to the outdoors, the experience and a new adventure.
Sounds like fun and interesting, congratulations. One word, however, with the new tax law before getting too excited about deducting volunteer miles etc I'd check with your accountant if you use one. We put on over 20,000 miles last year, plus many other volunteer expenses and in 2018 we will not be able to use that deduction as our itemized deductions will not exceed the new standard deduction. The biggest deductible item we lost as well as everyone else is medical deductions, and without that deduction we just don't meet the amount of the new standard deduction. We have not cut back on our volunteer work, but we are no longer able to use it.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #5385
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
This sounds like a wonderful thing to do Maggie. I will enjoy following along with your experiences. Way to go!

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #5386
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud, I did talk with her about what to keep track of, and know it needs to be a certain % of your income, but I’m not going for the tax benefit.

If I can deduct nothing, I think it will be a very worthwhile experience.

Thanks, Katy.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #5387
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That log cabin looks great! Will you be living in the IS, and how does the whole thing work in terms of housing, meals and hook-ups? Have a good time!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #5388
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
The biggest deductible item we lost as well as everyone else is medical deductions, and without that deduction we just don't meet the amount of the new standard deduction.

Bud
Check again-the medical deduction for 2018 remains the same-deductible above 7.5% of Adjusted Gross Income for those 65 and older. It does not go away even after that-the floor changes to 10%.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #5389
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that, silverbee...I’m going to keep track of mileage, gas receipts, etc., and if I can take a deduction that will be great.

I don’t know how the meals work, exactly, just that they cook and feed you three meals a day plus snacks and water.

For these jobsites, they tell you the campground and you go there, then travel a short distance to the job site each day.

I have noticed that some project sites are pack in, only, for small tents...which would be fun to experience a project that remote, but not the tent part and it would be impossible unless I left Lily behind. Ummm, no, that would be a deal breaker.

I specifically asked about Lily, telling them I travel with a dog, and it’s not a problem for these sites...could be for others, if animals are prohibited for some reason at that location.

She cannot be at/in the jobsite, itself, due to safety issues, but can be nearby...as in I will drive the Interstate to the job site each morning.

She can then watch from a distance, and I think should do fine.

I’ll keep y’all posted, and take lots of pictures.

I’m just so glad everything came together, and we can still go.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #5390
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Just curious. Where is the log cabin located in Colorado?
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #5391
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In Hermit Park, near Estes.

Maggie
Old 07-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #5392
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are underway, and Lily has spent her first two nights in the new rig.

She insists on sleeping with me, of course, despite the reduced space as I am only making up the rear bench into a bed each night.

She doesn’t seem to mind.

We spent Friday night with a high school friend I became good friends with when we were both single moms back in college in the late 70’s, then last night with my favorite extended family group.

These the four-generation household whose matriarch is my niece...everyone banding together to care for Great Grandma in her mid 90’s, plus the three near grown offspring of a different niece who derailed many years ago.

I so admire them, and all being under one roof this past 1 1/2 years has really pulled all the loose ends together. No one person is trying to do any part of it alone, everyone has backup.

The oldest of the sib group has graduated from high school, next in line has become a high school football star already being recruited for college scholarships, and the youngest is now a lovely teen girl...it is hard at times, but everyone is thriving, and it warms my proud heart to see it.

My sister in law has had those kids for 11 years or so, and so the lion’s share of the work has fallen to her. A good woman, getting badly needed and well deserved help under the same roof.

Spending time with people you have shared a loving bond with for decades really touches one’s soul...fabric of our lives relationships, and a good few days.

So, we are headed for Colorado, and all is well.

The radio and 12 volt outlet on the dash of the new rig do not work, the fuse has been checked and is not at fault...if anyone has a suggestion of what to do, where to look, that would be greatly appreciated.

If not, I will get it looked at by someone at some point, as it is not critical.

Am going to have tires and brakes checked again before I reach the mountains, just because it seems like a good idea.

Maggie
Old 07-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #5393
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Glad to hear you are having a successful start of your adventure. You had a couple if quite days ( on here, not in real life Sorry the 12-volt and radio or not working for you.

Safe travels as we all travel vicariously with you.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #5394
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The next simple diagnosis for your inop radio and 12v outlet is a disconnected or broken wire somewhere behind the dash. The logic is easy, but finding the fault is usually not. Those wires tend to hide in spaghetti fashion among all the other wires back there, and one has to spend time on ones back or upside down to even look for them.

Logic does say that the fault is in a wire that powers both units, and that leads my thinking back to the fuse box. Has anyone put an ohmmeter across the fuse (with it removed from the fuse holder) or is it being deemed "good" simply by visual inspection? Fuses can be bad without being visibly "blown." An auto supply store clerk can probably do that check for you, and he/she can most certainly sell you a new fuse of the same amperage rating. Fuses are cheap, so you might give that a try.

Best of luck with your trip and the cabin rebuild project. Sounds like fun!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #5395
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi, and thank you!

I believe that ohmmeter was used, but not certain...I’ll look into it.

Hope your house settling is coming along, and can’t wait to see the new place...I’m thinking early next year I’ll be down your way.

We found an older, inexpensive city campground to light on last night, as AC was needed but beauty not necessarily.

However, on a lake and with large expanses of grassy areas for an early morning, off leash romp for Miss Lily.

Onward and westward.

Maggie
Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #5396
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Maggie

Glad to hear that your trip in your new Interstate is going well.

Gotta be the fuse or possibly a plug in relay. Try another. You should travel with spare fuses anyway, so get some.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #5397
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
The 12V outlet is powered all the time (as I recall).
The radio generally has a ‘all the time’ circuit as well as a ‘turn on with key’ circuit. (Mine is not stock, so I can’t say for certain, but all that have any ‘memory’ has that).

When I get time the eve I’ll look and see the diagram on where the wiring actually goes and which fuses also. Fuse box #1 (under the steering column) are known for issues (I carry a spare) and easy to change and not too expensive. SD-euro has them full ‘loaded’ (all fuses and relays) for something like $130 (well, something like that).

Have fun!
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #5398
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, guys.

I have fuses for the coach part of this rig, know where the fuse box is and have actually checked and changed a few.

I think the fuses under the steering wheel column are different, tho I haven’t myself looked at them.

Have been driving across Missouri and Kansas, but I will be in Denver tomorrow and plan on doing a few town things Wednesday...like visiting Auto Zone.

Maggie
Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #5399
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
A very quick look in the service manual shows;

Radio, fuse 8 & 15 in fusebox #1 (under steering column)
Cigar lighter appears to also use fuse 8 in Fusebox #1

I would try replacing that fuse under the steering column if you have not. I’ve actually seen fuses that visually appear ok to have indeed failed.

(This was a very quick look and I could certainly gotten something wrong, but easy to do and good to be used to checking that fusebox along with the one under seat, if you are not)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #5400
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Mark.

I’ll get some fuses for that box tomorrow.

Maggie