Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 05:27 AM   #5401
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not familiar with your new coach but could be an in-line fuse as well as a fuse in the fuse panel. I do know our F350 has these on some 12v accessories
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #5402
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thank you, Mark.

I’ll get some fuses for that box tomorrow.

Maggie

Mark is probably on to something. Also, it's good to have a few extra fuses around anyway. I hid my spares so well I couldn't find them (still haven't). Bought a couple of packs of assorted blade fuses at Walmart and now keep them in my "emergency" kit along with "AA/AAA" batteries, flashlight, duct tape, zip ties, bungee cords, etc.

Good luck!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #5403
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

We disconnected in pouring rain this morning...umm, that would be me disconnecting in pouring rain...because our campsite was on grass and I feared I would get stuck, so we were heading on to Denver at 6:20am.

After several stop-and-walks we were still in here early afternoon, and I had planned a trip to Camping World, AutoZone, a grocer, etc., only to have those plans tanked by the sudden death of my coach battery...discovered when I parked and tried to turn on the vent fan for Lily.

After locating the coach battery, 3 1/2 hours later the problem had been diagnosed by Interstate Battery (a clump of wire had pulled loose) and fixed by Ketelson Campers of Colorado, who took me in on an emergency basis and then would not charge anything.

Kudos and many thanks to them and any repair place anywhere who will deal with disabling things like this for those who are passing thru.

We are now still, AC is running...time for a shower and a cold beverage.

Back to chores in the morning.

Maggie
Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #5404
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie,

It's so nice to hear that there are still kind and decent people in the world!

Glad you mentioned them by name as well!

Had a similar experience in the Imperial valley area of California. Lost the governor gear in my converted GMC camper van. That tossed the transmission into first gear at 65 miles per hour--talk about standing it on its nose with engine braking...

Limped into town on the freeway shoulder at 10 miles an hour, found a GM dealer. They diagnosed the issue, fixed it, changed the fluid and filter very cheaply at MY request (they were having a special), and gave me a spare part in case it happened again. Their tech also showed me how to change out the part on the road.

They could have easily sold me a new transmission if they desired...but were very honest, and also told me how to reduce the possibility of that ever happening again (DIY install a transmission cooler, which I did months later at home)

It is just great to find an honest mechanic...as rare as that can be nowadays.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #5405
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Filled the fresh water and emptied the holding tanks for the first time, found a laundromat, propane, and a car wash with a truck bay so as to get the 1/2” of dust and dirt off the new rig, and moseyed on to the general area of the first volunteer gig west of Denver.

Catching up on record keeping, tidying a bit, and have secured a campsite near here for my three nights of down time between gig 1 and gig 2.

No need to go back into Denver, then... no thank you, too much traffic for me.

Next, pictures!

Maggie
Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #5406
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
Next, pictures!
. . .
Cool!

Glad the trip is working out.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #5407
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Day 1, and I am very, very tired, but it was good.

I got on a scaffold and removed roof tiles from this wellhouse...maybe 7’ at its peak, but I left what I couldn’t reach from the scaffold maybe 5’ off the ground to the men.

Spent the rest of my day scraping cracked and loose mortar from the stone corner pilings, and a few other on the ground chores.

It was great.

I am the only woman, and one of two seniors in our group of six today, only four of which are at the campground.

I took some pictures, and one was taken of me on the scaffold using the tile removing tool, but they aren’t in IPhotos yet so another time.

The guys are very nice, all but one young enough to be my children, and glad to have help even from an older woman.

All is well, and I think this will turn out to be a remarkable experience.

Maggie
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #5408
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
What a great first day Maggie.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #5409
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not since the three week long move of multiple cords of split firewood across the yard about 4 years or so ago have I had such sustained physical labor...but it is good.

I’ve been mostly replacing mortar and today stained a replacement beam for the roof which is being replaced...a beam which came to us as one of four trimmed trees, and was stripped of its bark here at the site.

My shoulders and back ache, but it’s a good ache.

This wellhouse was constructed 100 or so years ago, entirely of large chunks of quartz...gathered up and brought from wherever, and assembled into one of several old structures here which served travelers passing thru.

It’s really quite beautiful, and has been fun to work on. Great to work outdoors and to do something different.

Everyone is very nice and Ethan prepares us delicious meals.

Lily has charmed everyone, and been very well behaved.

We’re having a great time, tho I am tired at the end of the day.

Maggie
Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #5410
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am off from yesterday pm to Wednesday evening, so doing town chores today...including at the moment a repair on one of my new tires, which picked up something.

So, with good signal here in the waiting room, here are a few pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2FDF7DC-F8AF-44FC-B472-D7D3EE5D83D2.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	317842   Click image for larger version

Name:	500956C6-6A8C-4DA6-B261-EAB9AA0431CD.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	317843  

Name:	8CF549B6-6932-4644-BAA6-5BCEE81D3071.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	317844   Click image for larger version

Name:	A5EA18A5-5739-4D64-95A5-6A457627B0EF.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	317845  

Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #5411
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for the updates. Looks like a beautiful area and what a fun learning experience.

How is the Interstate getting settled. Has Lily adapted to her new space and passenger seat.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #5412
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been very enjoyable, tho I have been dead dog tired at night...so tired I don’t want dinner, but it’s a good thing.

The new Interstate is doing great, and Lily hasn’t missed a beat...she’s with her Momma, getting to go with, so is a happy girl.

The tire problem was some leaking around the rim, sad to say on these brand new and expensive tires, but BigOtires in Evergreen took me right in and fixed it, many thanks to them.

It is thus far a great experience, the guys have been wonderful and little Liz, the volunteer coordinator shown at the timber, is lovely.

Another 5 days or so on the wellhouses, then a break before the log cabin...which is really why I am here in the first place.

Maggie
Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #5413
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Being still a few days, I am getting a few things done in the new rig that I haven’t yet had time to do...like cleaning the windows, removing all the screens, washing them and the windows beneath, and returning to place.

They were pretty dirty. Yuk.

I also had yesterday a tiny leak develop near the cargo door, located its’ source and fixed it my very own self this morning.

Something under there while running around doing errands apparently bumped the water pump and loosened that valve a hair....I had to lay prone on the floor, head and right arm under the sink with a towel to improve my grip, to get it properly tightened.

But, I did it, and without having to call for help. I have also removed some paper products stored under there.

Return to camp tomorrow evening for the next stint, after meeting the rest of the crew at a local eatery for dinner...they selected one with outdoor seating so that Lily can join us.

It’s been nice having a couple of days off, unused as I am to steady physical labor.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #5414
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My babies are in Florida with their parents for a week....the Amazing Miss Emma turned 11 today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E9031D6D-E8D0-475A-B835-EED5BA2BE598.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	318004  
Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #5415
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
More mortar repair today, and I rebuilt almost by myself one corner of a pillar with loose stones...Ethan guiding and providing some assistance, but 99% of the work done by yours truly.

The roof has been replaced, and tomorrow I will get back on the not-very-high scaffolding to mortar over the flashing up there...don’t ask me to explain it, because I haven’t seen it, just know it’s what I will be doing tomorrow.

I am thoroughly enjoying myself, learning something new and working outdoors, and the guys in charge have been great to deal with.

Yesterday while I was off I made dinner for us to have tonight, just because I wanted to and knew they would enjoy it...which they did.

The guys work hard, then Ethan comes back to camp and prepares a fresh, healthy, from scratch meal every night. I don’t know how he does it, but thought I would take a turn, and it is fun to have someone to cook for.

Lily is behaving well, and enjoying the freedom of running loose at our campground...as it is closed to others, and we are all that are here.

Lots to smell and sniff and explore...she’s a happy girl.

Maggie
Old 07-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #5416
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hello Maggie,
A good leader, as Ethan seems to be, together with dedicated happy workers, as in your example, is a proven recipe for a successful project where everybody wins. It is a real pleasure to follow your adventure.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #5417
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jim!

It’s really been a great experience, and I would highly recommend HistoriCorps to anyone wanting to volunteer in the out of doors.

They’ve had projects in 30 different states, all kinds, and always adding more.

This morning we had six additional volunteers, just for the weekend, as we are finishing up this project...three delightful young women in their 20’s, and three people closer to my age, two of whom are career social workers.

The girls have pitched tents and are spending the night in the campground, and Ethan cooked us a delicious dinner.

Tomorrow the last day here, then I have about 8 days before the next one...the log cabin.

Looking forward to some poking around and visiting some folks I haven’t seen in awhile.

All is well, and this has been a much easier week than last, when I was adjusting to the altitude as well as steady physical labor.

Maggie
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #5418
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Done with our wellhouse project, we are in our campground, and I am scrubbed, shampooed and comfy.

We had a great group, and excellent leaders...that is Ethan with his fist in the air and Denis at the other end.

This was without a doubt one of the high points of my year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11CBAF4A-4F1E-44D3-B91C-31B89866B98E.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	318361  
Old 07-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #5419
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are choring today...cleaning, filling with propane, replenishing dog food and currently at a laundry in Bailey.

Heading toward a water side campground for tonight.

Mortaring the flashing on the roof via scaffolding... me on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	334508D1-E1FA-4F49-85A8-4CBDE94AD051.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	530.7 KB
ID:	318447  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #5420
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Arkansas river for tonight...
Attached Thumbnails