Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #5261
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

I am gathering my ducks...

Maggie
Old 06-07-2018, 04:58 AM   #5262
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Don't make your final decision until those ducks form a nice, neat row.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #5263
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Was headed north a couple of hours to visit favorite family members this weekend but had one of those sleepless nights then finally getting up with a serious headache...so, we stayed home.

Sometimes when I wake in the night, my head fills with things pending and past, and I can’t get back to sleep...like last night. I could do without those.

A change in air pressure may have contributed, as we had a pretty good and badly needed rain this morning, and more is predicted tonight and tomorrow...crops are in the field and up, the farmers will be happy.

Have been immersed in resolving in various ways my recent accident, the wtf of turning into the path of a semi , exploring this and that, writing here and there, as well as as turning over this idea of SUV camping for awhile.

It seems a somewhat logical and practical solution.

I’ve found there is actually an entire subculture out there that do just that, some of them full time...some with an adjunct tent, others without, and all manner of small to large awnings-to-tents that attach to vehicles such as mine available out there.

Tho I possess nearly everything I would need, but for the tent , I can’t shake the thought that heading out with this to fulfill summer adventures would be a bit like jumping off a cliff unsure if my bungee was going to hold.

I am 69, after all, and there’s Lily.

We would be in bear country, and what about them , can I safely carry food/dog food and how would I do that, what if it’s pouring rain when I need to set up, what if I can’t find a site...does one pull in somewhere, crawl in the back and just sleep in the car like those who have no other choice???

I truly feel it is probably not time to stop traveling, also that if that is the case no reasonable path will present itself....if it’s meant to be, it will happen, if it isn’t it won’t.

However, also firmly believing that one needs to get up every day, put one foot ahead of the other, and do what needs to be done, that includes being open to options.

With my upcoming trip with the grands in a few weeks, will have the opportunity to try a few things out.

What I really, really want is my Interstate repaired and returned to me, but that seems highly unlikely...my claim is in the Total Loss department at State Farm, who report the frame is badly bent, who also until I spoke with them 4 days ago had been dealing for 12 days with my rig as if it were an 05 Sprinter Van...period.

Now, they are working to establish proper value, and we are into week three.

I have picked a number of brains, and thoughts here are always welcome.

Maggie
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #5264
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This would be a more manageably sized suv tent...I watched a video on putting these up and it is as easy as the one I’ve used for the kids, that I can set up myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4857BC9-A657-49F9-BA0C-B7982EDB3961.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	313527  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #5265
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
. . . my claim is in the Total Loss department at State Farm, who report the frame is badly bent . . .
. . .
Not good news for an older vehicle IMO, as I imagine you have already figured.

Would you feel comfortable driving one of the rental RV rigs we have seen on the road, especially during the summer? For instance:

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/?utm_s...iAAEgKuF_D_BwE

The "Compact RV" is not too different from your IS, in terms of footprint and height etc..

For a short-term "test" it might be worth a try. Would SF even cover the cost, at least partially? Are they covering the cost of a rental car for you? Because your insured vehicle was a self-contained RV, there might be a good argument that your rental vehicle should be similar?

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #5266
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The bent frame seems a death sentence, but as others have pointed out the rig did its job and protected us from harm.

I‘ve thought some about a rental, Peter, tho they are ridiculously expensive.

Doug and I rented one of the small class C’s before we had our first RV...we took the train to Seattle, rented one for a week and drove down to the redwoods, etc.

It was fun, and convinced us we wanted one, but the RV itself was a piece of junk.

They also don’t come with anything you need, so would have to haul stuff to it or buy and dispose of it.

The 5 day, round trip train travel was as much fun as the RV.

AAA had my vehicle rental insurance, which is a story of its own. I rented a minivan to empty the RV and get home, so that’s it.

Maggie
Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #5267
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes, a couple of long train trips as a child are some of the best memories I have. Also expensive now.

If I were in your situation, I would look for a used Roadtrek, although one may be hard to find. Originally they were on a Chevy/GMC chassis, and RT got permission to lower the floor between the I-beams, so there was good headroom inside what was basically still a "van."

The new-ish Nissan NV has an RV-like variant with a pop-up roof. Any good used ones out there? Roadtrek has one called the NV6 I think.

Personally I don't think I will ever be able to sleep in a tent again, on the ground or a cot. Been there done that. Body would reject this "solution" after one night. "Old and in the way" comes to mind, for me anyway, when it comes to creature comforts. Then there is Lily. And bears . . .

One step at a time. As posted weeks ago from Travels with Charley, Steinbeck, this "trip will take you" and trying to figure things out too completely too soon may not pay off.

I know you know this -- but you are very lucky to have survived the crash with your health in good shape.

Cheers . . .

Peter

PS -- FWIW links during short edit window remaining:
https://www.reconcampers.com/
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...er-van-review/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/205687907957987451/
http://www.caravanoutfitter.com/why-this-van

Less is more?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #5268
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I know that, Peter, and think of it daily.

If I had been another second or two into the intersection, we would be dead, as the truck was going at a good clip, to have sliced the front off my rig so cleanly.

I couldn’t sleep on the ground, either, thus the suv tent which creates the sleeping area extension in the back of the vehicle....that’s where I would be sleeping, and Lily too.

I’m not going to rush into anything, just staying open to what’s possible.

Maggie
Old 06-10-2018, 04:38 AM   #5269
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I agree with Peter on the tent. We actually tried it several years ago, in our back yard just to see as we were going to go up into the Adirondacks on our motorcycle, towing a small trailer etc. After two hours in the back yard, no dogs with us they were in the house we laughed at each other and both decided that tent days had passed. Returned the tent etc and took our AS instead. But, we are all different, I am not sure about the SUV camping either.

Now as to Lily and the bears. If in actual bear country, no food in the tent or the suv as I am guessing from the pictures the thought is to have the hatch open. Bears sense of smell is pretty good and they will actually do just about anything if the food smells good enough to them and Lily will react etc. Alice and I used to canoe deep into bear country every summer - as far north as the artic circle and ran into bears every night. Our food was always tied up in trees hanging down and often they would stand below and jump, climb the tree etc. So, my suggestion if going into bear country, no Lily in tent or SUV and food tied into the trees, hanging down.

You've got a number of options and in my opinion your doing it right, weighing those and waiting on insurance to make an offer on the Interstate. Bent frames can be corrected, but I don't think I would consider that option.

We still thank God you and Lily are still relatively unhurt from this accident. Don't beat yourself up over a second here or a second there - it's life - it happens.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #5270
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Bud.

I may be thinking too much of what I think I should be willing and able to do, while reality is fortunately nagging at me that it isn’t realistic...that’s the jumping off a cliff feeling I am having, which I guess is there for a reason.

Someone here pm’d me to look at https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums...lay.php?fid=19, which I did, and there’s a video on there of an older woman who travels and camps in a Ford Explorer that she has modified and tricked up a bit.

There’s a lot of interesting information on living small on this site, and a very active forum.

Lots in the news these days that is really alarming, but this particular issue makes me sick to my stomach...the enormous number of children being removed from their illegal immigrant parents at border crossings, then held in shelters.

415 in a two week period at just one town.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.b71de0a249bf

I cannot imagine how overwhelming this is for the shelter system, but most importantly how traumatic it is for the children. There will be consequences down the road.

And this one, another systemic example of sexual abuse of children gone unchecked, another culture of secrecy which has protected perpetrators.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...608-story.html

What is happening here.

Maggie
Old 06-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #5271
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good posts Bud and Maggie!

BTW Maggie plenty of extra blank lines in your post FWIW, in case you have any further thoughts on this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ml#post2113009

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #5272
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
But I put those in there, Peter.

I like to separate subjects with an extra space, not just a double space between paragraphs...tho I don’t always do it, there are no spaces here not created by me.

I think it’s a browser issue, seriously.

Maggie
Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #5273
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have begun a staging area for my 9 day trip with the grands in a few weeks, and will use these behind the passenger seat for the first aid kit, bug spray and sunscreen, wet ones, etc.

Two of the best purchases I ever made, from Duluth Trading Co., retrieved from the wreckage of the Interstate.

The Cab Commander on the right I have had for 15 or more years. The Backseat Organizer on the left was bought for the Interstate 11 or so years ago, soon after purchase, and both were attached to, and rested behind, the passenger seat.

They stored all manner of things, including small tools, dog treats and assorted other items often needed from the cargo door or while driving.

I love them, and their serious and extended use has produced not a tear nor worn spot nor other indication of age but for a bit of fading on the Cab Commander where it was exposed to the sun when the cargo door was open. I have washed them in the machine with cold water several times, and just set them outside to dry.

The Cab Commander used to ride on the front seat of my car when I was working....carrying forms, placement packets, extra paper, a flashlight, wet ones, etc., also baby wipes and diapers of varying sizes and a small, soft blanket...when police take children into custody, they never, ever have diapers.

Not unusual to arrive at a police station in the middle of the night to be handed with outstretched arms a baby or toddler soaked thru...or worse. Police were always so glad when the on call worker got there.

They will be put to good use traveling with the grands, who will find empty spaces within which to stash some of their traveling treasures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B48175DF-3F38-4A3F-8CE0-C3B98D072B90.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	313623  
Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #5274
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Hey Maggie,

First, we REALLY missed you at the Moraine View rally... Jo Ann says "Hi".

Second, while walking the dogs around the park (yes, "dogs", Genie has a new pal, a rescue Aussie named "Charlie"), we noticed this cute little oversized teardrop, and I believe the TV was indeed a RAV-4 (definitely similar sized). I looked them up online because I'd never seen one before...

nüCamp T@B 400

https://tab.nucamprv.com/tab-teardrop-camper/

Pretty spiffy and might fill the void til another Class B comes along...?

Anyway, hugs to you and Lily, we continue to follow your "adventure" and wish you nothing but smooth sailing through your ideal... Hope to see you down the road soon.

BrianClick image for larger version

Name:	20180608_193839.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	313625
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #5275
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
P.S., Have no idea why it downloaded the picture twice... Sorry.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #5276
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Brian.

Others have also encouraged me to look at tiny trailers, but I am really afraid to try to tow something, for several reasons, not the least of which that I never have and know nothing of the related skill sets needed for a trailer.

Getting in and out of gas stations, etc...

Maggie
Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #5277
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Completely understand about that (guess that's why I get to do all the driving with the AS), just saw the earlier posts about teardrops...
Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #5278
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been reading, and am almost finished with, this excellent and most extraordinary book...

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-670-02167-3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B1F9A45D-AD34-4AB7-9DB8-53D716921EB4.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	313641  
Old 06-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #5279
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks I just ordered on Kindle.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #5280
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Interstate For Sale - Raleigh Craigslist

Hi Maggie,
Saw this tonight on the Raleigh-Durham Craigslist.
Don't know if it might help with negoiations or if you might be interested in it.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/d...574488835.html

Deborah
Silverbee is online now   Reply With Quote