Old 08-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #5461
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tires rotated, and discovered my tire shop can and will work on the Interstate for some things...like installing a new coach battery from beneath.

They donít have a lift for my van, but have a pit so they can access from below. Going to have that battery replaced before winterization and bedtime later this fall, in preparation for my winter trip which will hopefully take me for some beach camping...

Had an electrician here to repair a ceiling fan and my aging, under cabinet puck lights in the kitchen, which are acting up in sections this year and becoming rather annoying, also a tree guy to look at my encroaching red leaf maple roots in the front yard.

They will grind out the offenders, separating them from the tree will cause whatever remains that has snaked under my house and driveway to shrivel up and die...before they disrupt the driveway, foundation, etc., etc.

Surface roots are apparently a routine issue with these beautiful trees, tho it will not have to be removed this is a problem I will have to deal with again. Repeatedly.

Spent several hours yesterday dealing with my still not received title to the new rig, which I must have to register in Illinois before my temporary plates expire in about 5 weeks.

After being told by Arizona MVD that it was mailed to me on July 31st , I dug thru and re-examined the mail that arrived in my absence to be sure it wasnít stuck inside some junk flyer or similar mailbox clogging item....not there, download and fill out a form for duplicate title, write a check, run to the post office to send off Priority Mail in hopes the 4-6 week arrival time gets it to me in time.

Then, a call back from the dealership in AZ to inform me they had it there, where it was mailed instead of directly to me. A family emergency for an employee there has caused some shortages and pinch hitting on tasks, and it was missed, but it is now on its way to me.

Good thing that staying on top of things is not only what I do, but who I am, as Doug would say...

Iíve signed up for one last HistoriCorps project this fall...purposeful travel, volunteer work combined with a trip.

Looking forward to seeing what the offerings are for next year...

Pouring rain as I type, but we need it and I shanít complain...good day to clean the little house, and perhaps cook something.

Reading this book, recommended by a Forums friend....it is very good, but so real and reminiscent of my caseworker years that it is also rather hard to read.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Before-We...31&athena=true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2B44028-9EB7-4EFE-BDEB-242D081ADED6.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	320693  

Old 08-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #5462
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
OMG Maggie,
We've never met but somehow I feel I know so much about you through your your detailed adventure blog on the forum. Been gone since Memorial Day traveling out west and just now catching up. I've thought about you so often since learning about your Interstate accident and truly hoped you would get back on the road again so we might continue to follow your adventures. Thrilled and so happy for you that you were able to receive a reasonable settlement and ultimately purchase another "tiny home on wheels"! Wishing all the best in your new adventures and hoping for some pics as you personalize your new Airstream!
FCloud9

FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #5463
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you so much, FCloud9.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #5464
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
John McCain was one of Doug’s revered others, and they shared a love of all things Hemingway.

When John ran for President some years back, Doug said “he should win because he deserves to win”.

Rest In Peace, Senator, you’re in good company up there.

It is 89 here, with a heat index of 100 due to humidity, and I’ve had my oven cranked up to 425 degrees to make this cobbler for the family’s dinner.

I’ve had my Colorado peaches a week, and they have kept exceptionally well in the frig as they came in their original box... in two layers, separated by bubble wrap.

A few small bruises on just a few, but no mold nor rotting nor other deterioration to inedibility, and they don’t continue to ripen til I take them out of the frig.

They are delicious, and I am pleased, as I have used up only about half of them so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	620919EC-B340-44B3-BD89-0DEC19ABEEFF.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	320884  
Old 08-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #5465
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yum! . . . but peach ice cream would have been cooler . . .

A noble human being has left us . . .

Near the end he was especially willing to speak Truth to power, a refreshing breath of air in the stifling oratory doldrums of Washington DC.

Rest In Peace, Senator John McCain, and thank you!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #5466
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Cobbler looks delicious! Welcome home. It sounds like you are working the bugs out of the new ride!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #5467
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi you two!

I think youíve eaten this peach cobbler, made in the Dutch Oven at one of the Alumalina rallies.

I am working the bugs out of the new rig, tho there thankfully havenít been many.

My flat flowers were here when I got home, I will get them up before this next trip and get some pictures of the interior one of these days soon.

Maggie
Old 08-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #5468
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The title to the new RV arrived from the dealership in yesterdayís mail, so I was at the DMV bright and early this morning to register it.

Extraordinarily knowledgeable, helpful and user friendly Anita there helped me get it done, I paid my fees and the additional taxes for Illinois , and left with proper plates and sticker.

As Iím getting ready to leave, I mentioned to her the titleís wayward journey to me, and that I had rushed to the post office to send off a replacement title request before it was located at the dealership...at which point, Anita told me to call right away and cancel that request because if a new one was issued in AZ before Illinois issued theirs, there would be a problem.

Calling as soon as I got home, I was informed that the replacement title request was received and processed yesterday, a new one computer generated and already in the mail...a process I had been told would take 4-6 weeks. Incredible.

The title I received in the mail yesterday...and used this morning at DMV...became invalid as soon as the computer in AZ issued a replacement, so Illinois wonít be able to process a title here, with a now invalid AZ title, until I get them the new and improved version.

Very helpful Anita at DMV assures me I should simply get a letter from the Secretary of State to send the new one, that they should know a duplicate was requested and there shouldnít be any fines or additional fees needed paid by me...but to keep my notes and the envelope from yesterday, should there be issues. Yikes.

In the meantime, I have proper license plates and a sticker, after almost two months of ownership, so I will take screwdriver in hand and put them on tomorrow...it is hot as blue blazes here, and humid, so no outdoor afternoon tasks for me.

I have written here several times about my amazing sister in law, who for the past 12 years or so has been raising her three grandchildren, and her oldest daughter who over the past few years has taken over the matriarchal role, bought a home to shelter, care for and support four generations, and is coparenting the now more challenging teenaged grandchildren...everyone of all ages pitching in to help with the 95 year old grandmother, whose dementia has left her confused, combatitive and requiring close monitoring.

The grandma had a massive stroke on Saturday, from which she is not expected to recover. They are taking her home with hospice later this week, and will all pitch in to care for her there for as long as she has left.

What a strong and determined family, pulling together in a crisis and taking care of their own.

I am proud to know them, to love them, and to call them mine.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #5469
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ordered two of these license plate holders for the new Interstate...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D36F684-51F2-4AF0-A4BC-D932B82466B5.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	321179  
Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #5470
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice accoutrement.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #5471
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, I thought they were purty.

I have to buy something to mount a front plate to, I have discovered...both front and rear required in Illinois, but not in Arizona so nothing currently there to put a plate on.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #5472
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I have to buy something to mount a front plate to, I have discovered...

The Mercedes parts folks can sell you what you need. Unfortunately, anything from them is usually a bit pricey.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #5473
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Mimi!

My Chassis is a Dodge Sprinter, actually. I went down to AutoZone to ask them about it and they have a couple of universal holders...which might work.

Iím going to go take a picture of the front plate area, and take it down there. The young man seemed to think they would fit...weíll see.

There are bolts it would attach to there that look to have never been moved, and I may need help with those, but thereís my son and some other male hands within asking distance so I should be able to get it done.

Now that Iím officially plated in Illinois, tho off an obsolete title in AZ , I donít want to drive it without that front plate on lest a sharp eyed officer pull me over.

Iíve got some time to deal with it...

Maggie
Old 08-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #5474
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Being a part time participant on this forum I have had to spend a while to review all the stuff for the last 25 pages of your thread and finally can say.... I am saddened to hear you had an accident with your old Interstate, but also very happy to hear you have had good fortune in finding a new one with far fewer miles.

The most important thing is that many folks, a lot you probably do not think about, have you in their hearts, Maggie. Every time I travel up to South Dakota I think about you. Actually anytime I am crossing Illinois, that comes up. And on this forum, I suspect your thread is one of the best for people to read, especially as many of us are becoming chronologically more mature.

I have wondered if you were going to be at Alumalina this year, but did not see your name on the list. Will miss you.

Keep up the good work, and congratulations on finally getting all settled with your new van.

Happy trails and good luck, Tommie
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #5475
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Tommie, and thank you for those kind and encouraging words.

I keep writing here because people keep reading and encouraging me, privately and publicly, to do so.

I greatly and immeasurably appreciate the good people here, and the support they have provided over the years.

Next time you pass thru Illinois, maybe we can meet for coffee, lunch, breakfast...that McDonalds is still there...or you can spend a night at the nice county park north of me and I’ll cook you dinner.

Take care, and travel safe, Tommie.

Maggie
Old 08-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #5476
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks, Maggie,
As my age increases, my ability to do all the heavy labor with a tow behind has become less than I would desire. So, I decided to go the route of a Sprinter based RV with some requirements. That is, as a frequent boon docker, I wanted a dry bath and full shower.

After nearly a year of investigation, it became clear that the Atlas did not meet my requirements, too expensive, to start, very few windows and not a fixed work area for my computer. Thus, I have had to give up, for the moment, the Airstream lifestyle and will be traveling in a Leisure Travel Van Unity Corner Bed, which hopefully will be delivered in October at the dealer in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. My AS is currently being enjoyed by folks down in Valdosta, Georgia, apparently very happy with it.

However, I would love to drop by and see you again, and will certainly let you know when I am traveling through Illinois. Possibly on my return from South Dakota, but weather is the determining factor quite often in October.

Be well, enjoy your new Interstate.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #5477
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A nice looking and functional layout, even with the slide-out not extended.

https://leisurevans.com/wp-content/t...8_unity_cb.pdf

We downsized from a 25' to our FC20, but may be headed in the same direction.

Thanks for the idea, and good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:00 PM   #5478
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think I read something on here about you looking at a Class B, Tommie, and am glad to hear you have selected something that meets your needs.

Although I did some mental casting around at other possibilities after the accident, I really couldnít see myself in anything but another Class B.

I hope you enjoy yours, and would love to see/hear from you any time you are in the area.

You may still have my phone number somewhere, but Iím going to send you a pm with it so you can text me if youíre headed this way.

Take care,

Maggie
Old 08-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #5479
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s a pretty gorgeous looking rig, Tommie!

Looks compact, but roomy and comfortable at the same time.

I like the stand alone shower, also the cubby the bed is in.

October is usually beautiful in Illinois, , and may I recommend if you have time to pick up the River Road in Wisconsin and take it down...

Maggie
Old 08-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #5480
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
As my age increases, my ability to do all the heavy labor with a tow behind has become less than I would desire. So, I decided to go the route of a Sprinter based RV with some requirements. That is, as a frequent boon docker, I wanted a dry bath and full shower.

Tommie

If we are all lucky enough we may be going the same route at some time down the road. I hope you enjoy your new class B.

Dan

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote